Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Smokers warned after fire in Hove nursing home
5:00pm Tuesday 4th September 2012 in News
Firefighters are warning smokers of the dangers of carelessly discarding cigarettes following a fire at a nursing home in Hove.
Three fire engines from Brighton and Hove, along with the Aerial Ladder Platform from Preston Circus, were all sent to Wilbury Gardens yesterday morning at 10.40am.
Upon arrival, the building had been evacuated by all residents and staff had tackled the fire themselves with a fire extinguisher.
The fire was sparked by a cigarette after the occupant of the flat fell asleep.
Watch Commander Roger Lovewell said: “The Nursing Home followed the evacuation procedures but in the event of a fire we would always recommend not to tackle the fire, get out, stay out and call the fire service out.
“We would remind smokers to extinguish any smoking materials or matches thoroughly before leaving them, not to overload ash trays and don’t smoke in bed.”
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service emphasised the need for all householders to have at least one working smoke alarm in their properties.
Smoking is the biggest house fire killer with more people dying in fires caused by smoking than in fires caused by anything else.
Comments are closed on this article.