Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Disabled woman "trapped" in Brighton flat due to faulty lift
2:00pm Wednesday 12th September 2012 in News
A disabled woman has been stuck in her flat for nearly four weeks after a lift giving her access to her home stopped working.
Sue Hall has been unable to independently leave her council flat in Brighton since August 16 due to the fault.
Miss Hall, who has only one leg, said she and her neighbours have been left trapped in their own homes by Brighton and Hove City Council.
The 61-year-old, who lives in Leach Court, Park Road, said: “I feel like a prisoner inmy own home.
“I can’t get out. I am trapped indoors 24 hours a day.
“I was told that the lift would be fixed by August 23 but that never happened.
“I called up a week later and was then told that the part needed for the lift had to be ordered from Germany, so it would take another week to be fixed.
“One week passed and again nothing. So I called up and this time I was told that the part was in the factory but had to be made to size, so it would be another week – unsurprisingly nothing was done.
“No one wants to accept responsibility.”
Miss Hall said three other people on her floor are also disabled and have been unable to leave their flats.
Miss Hall said the only time she was able to leave her flat was for two hospital appointments last month when paramedics had to carry her downstairs.
She added: “I wrote to my MP, Simon Kirby , and he replied back instantly with his sincerest apologies but it isn’t him who should be apologising, it’s the council.”
Geoffrey Bowden, ward councillor, said: “It is really regrettable that some residents have had to endure a prolonged period without a lift at Leach Court.
“The problemis the age of the lift which hasmeantthe failed part has had to be made from scratch. Both lifts in the building are due for replacement.
“Council staff have been working closely with all residents to make sure anyone who needs extra support has been getting it, including moving people to temporary accommodation.
“We are sorry the broken part has taken so long to replace and completely understand the frustration of residents, their carers and families.
“We would like to assure everyone that we are doing everything possible to resolve the problem.
Comments are closed on this article.