Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Brighton council leader criticises revealing of CEO shortlist
A council leader has criticised the leaking of a shortlist for a town hall chief.
On Saturday, The Argus published the names of the four people in contention to be the next chief executive of Brighton and Hove City Council.
But council leader Jason Kitcat described the leaking of the information as “extremely disappointing” and said the confidential process was “betrayed”.
He added the local authority's acting chief executive and head of law had been asked to carry out an urgent investigation into the incident with the help of external agencies.
Coun Kitcat said: “As leader of the council, I have a duty to ensure that the way the city council undertakes its business is consistent with the standards expected of a responsible council.
“I will make it absolutely clear to the people of the city that it sadly appears unscrupulous moves are afoot that seek to undermine the CEO recruitment process as well as much of the Green-led council's work.”
Coun Kitcat admitted he used his casting vote to finalise the shortlist as there was not a unanimous decision by the cross party panel of six.
Coun Kitcat added: “It seems sadly that the leadership of the Tories and Labour are desperately trying to block this city and its council progressing.
“They have been taking turns running our city for decades and still cannot accept any 'newcomers' leading the city.
“Under the Green administration, the council has made great strides driving costs down, improving services and raising confidence in our great city. These improvements have all been recognised by independent observers.
“As leader of the council I will not accept voices from the past dragging us backwards.”
Comments are closed on this article.