Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Sleeping couple lucky after toxic dishwasher fire
A couple had a lucky escape last night when their dishwasher caught fire.
The pair, who are in their mid-50s, were asleep at the time and didn’t have a working fire alarm.
Luckily their carbon monoxide sensor went off when it picked up the dangerous toxic fumes.
They called the fire brigade and three engines from Brighton’s Preston Circus were at the Havelock Road property shortly after 11am.
Crews went into the kitchen equipped with breathing apparatus and quickly extinguished the blaze.
A fire service spokesman said: “We strongly advise people not to use appliances such as dishwashers overnight.
“This could have been a very serious incident and it was only that they had closed their doors that the dangerous smoke didn’t spread faster.
“A smoke alarm would have woken them instantly and we have since fitted one at the house.”
The pair were uninjured.
Comments are closed on this article.