Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Sussex hospital wards closed due to too many patients
Hospital wards became so full with patients they had to close their doors to new arrivals.
The Argus understands patients had to be taken to Worthing Hospital and St Richard’s Hospital in Chichester to receive treatment.
Bosses at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Royal Sussex and the Princess Royal, declared a state of emergency on Monday after they ran out of beds and space to treat people in the accident and emergency (A&E) and acute (AMU) wards.
Chris Adcock, the trust’s acting chief executive, revealed the situation in a weekly bulletin to staff.
He said the situation had been caused by the hospitals not being able to discharge enough patients.
At the Princess Royal 46 were admitted over the weekend and only 26 were discharged, while in Brighton the number of people in beds reached 60.
Mr Adcock said: “This has been an extremely difficult week and, as ever, the repercussions on the whole hospital of operating in a state of crisis management are serious and far-reaching.
"By Monday morning A&E and AMU were full of adult inpatients and there were patients in the wrong beds all over the hospital.
“This led to us declaring the hospital to be in a state of business continuity. This declaration is designed to trigger a whole raft of urgent and focused behaviours internally and externally.
“It ensures our commissioners, ambulance service and neighbouring hospitals are aware that neither the health system nor the hospital are functioning as they should and that we need additional support and action from them.”
Mr Adcock admitted the trust made “some headway” on Monday and Tuesday but it became “compounded” when it received seven stroke calls before 10.30am, four patients with fractured hips and two trauma calls.
The trust only stood down its state of emergency yesterday – taking a week to recover.