Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Shakedown on line for success
Organisers of this weekend’s Shakedown Festival say they want to end Brighton’s reputation as a “graveyard for festivals”.
Promoter Steve Jones says he wants next year’s event to take place in the summer – and could extend it to two days.
The 20,000-capacity festival is taking place at Stanmer Park on Saturday, with Dizzee Rascal, Zane Lowe and Professor Green the headline attractions.
Organisers predict a small number of tickets, priced £55, could be available on the gate but say they think they will sell out.
Last year saw Shakedown get off the ground with a 10,000- capacity event.
Its success contrasts with the aborted renewal of Beachdown in 2009, which left ticketholders out of pocket when the event was cancelled the night before it was due to start.
Mr Jones said: “My main motivation for Shakedown was born out of local festivals like Beachdown coming and going and to some extent failing.
“Brighton was getting a reputation as a graveyard for festivals.”
This year’s Shakedown is taking place in October partly because of a crammed summer schedule which included the Olympics, Pride and the Liberal Democrat party conference in quick succession.
The weather forecast for Saturday is for rain in the morning but sun in the afternoon.
Two of the three stages are under cover, offering shelter in case of a downpour. The dance tent alone has a capacity of 6,000.
For the full story see today's Argus.
Comments are closed on this article.