Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Campaigners fail in bid to stall Hastings-Bexhill link road
4:04pm Friday 5th October 2012 in News
Campaigners have failed in attempts to block a new £94 million road.
Groups have been fighting for 17 years to protect Combe Haven valley from the planned Hastings to Bexhill link road.
However, an application to the High Court for a judicial review of the decision to approve the scheme was rejected yesterday.
Nick Bingham, chairman of the Hastings Alliance, said: “We remain convinced that this costly, unsustainable and damaging scheme, to be funded by taxpayers, is not the answer to the problems in Bexhill and Hastings, and that alternatives have not been fully and properly examined
“We will now consider our position and examine very carefully further options.”
Government funding of £56 million was allocated to the scheme earlier this year with East Sussex County Council contributing the rest.
Last month the local authority was given Whitehall permission to start buying up land under compulsory purchase orders.
Council leader Peter Jones said it would bring economic benefits valued at £1 billion, including up to 2,000 homes, 3,000 new jobs and 50,000 square metres of business park space.
He said: “We're delighted by today's decision and that the High Court has recognised there was no basis for this legal challenge.
“It means we can now get on and really make a positive difference to the most deprived local economy in the South East.
“This road is absolutely crucial to the regeneration of Hastings and Bexhill for people and businesses.
“It'll bring better access to jobs; opportunities for housing and business development; and fewer cars using roads that aren't suitable for them.”