Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Firefighters' warnings over chimney blazes
12:55pm Monday 22nd October 2012 in News
Two chimney fires broke out just hours apart on Sunday for the second week in a row.
The first call came in at about 1.45pm in Cranbourne Street, Brighton, and a crew from Preston Circus remained at the scene until 2.20pm making the area safe.
Meanwhile, later the same day another chimney fire broke out in Rangemore Drive, Eastbourne.
Firefighters were called out at 8.35pm and were at the property for just under half an hour making the area safe.
Steve Wright, Community Safety Manager, said: "Chimney fires are a common cause of fire in dwellings and can cause widespread damage.
“An open fire is an ideal way to keep warm this winter but without proper maintenance a chimney can become dangerous. In the last two years alone we have attended 420 incidents involving chimney fires.”
Comments are closed on this article.