Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Sussex HMV stores saved from closure
12:10pm Friday 8th February 2013 in Business Matters
Up to 60 Sussex high street jobs have been spared the axe – for now.
In the latest game of musical chairs, the administrators at HMV yesterday (February 7) revealed that 66 of the group’s stores are to close.
But the outlets in Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Horsham and Crawley will remain open while a buyer is sought for the company.
Administrator Deloitte said that all the stores in Sussex will operate as normal for now.
It said there is no indication whether there will be a second round of closures.
Last month the administrators caved in to public pressure and said they would accept gift cards.
Nick Edwards, the joint administrator, said: “As part of our ongoing review of HMV’s financial position, we have now completed a review of the store portfolio and have identified 66 loss making stores for closure.
“This step has been taken in order to enhance the prospects of securing the business’ future as a going concern.
“We continue to receive strong support from staff and are extremely grateful to them for their commitment during an understandably difficult period. All other key stakeholders remain very supportive and I continue to be hopeful of securing a future for the restructured business.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Caught on camera: Driver's foul-mouthed tirade at Eastbourne cyclist
- Greater Brighton City Deal signed, promising £170m boost for local digital businesses
- Gang of teenagers beat a man unconscious – then stamp on his head
- Sussex father deported because cancer treatment was too expensive
- Air ambulance lands following four-vehicle crash on M23 sliproad
Comments are closed on this article.