Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Results: 650 of 650 constituencies declared
|CON 307||LAB 258||LIB DEM 57||OTHER 28|
Name: Peter Bottomley
Candidate for: Worthing West
Why I want to be an MP: My aim is to represent the best interests of local people, being a good constituency MP and working at Westminster for our businesses, faith groups and
public services while serving the Arun wards of East Preston and Kingston, Ferring and Rustington together with the centre and the West of Worthing.
Together we worked with nurses, doctors, patients and other parties to save our hospital services.
My experience and knowledge help people.
It is easy to contact me locally and in Parliament.
I remember that the role of the MP is to serve and to work with others of all political persuasions.
There will be new faces and new ideas in Parliament.
It will be possible and helpful for people like me to help new MPs use and appreciate methods we use for debate and how we reach decisions.
In particular, I know how to examine proposals by Government, testing to see if they are right, if they are necessary and if they will work.
Newer MPs soon discover that public service as an MP is not the same as being a campaigner for yourself or being a parrot reciting the approved party line.
If in time I have the fortune to be interviewed by St Peter at the gates of heaven, he might ask what I had felt was most important about my time as MP.
I would say it has been the desire for fairness and the habit of standing up for the vulnerable, the lonely and the voiceless.
Marital status: Married to Virginia
Born: Newport, Shropshire, July 1944
Address: Ambrose Place, Worthing.
Occupation: Before becoming an MP I was in electrical contracting
Interests: Policies for families, good causes and religion.
Your sayYour Argus
Add your comment
Register for a FREE The Argus account and you can have your say on today's news and sport by adding comments on articles we publish. The best comments may even get published in the paper.
Please register now or log in below to continue.
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- General election shake-up likely to result in Brighton by-election
- Brighton Pavilion returns Caroline Lucas as UK's first Green MP
- Where to buy your special election edition of The Argus
- Blog: Getting my questions to the Brighton Pavilion candidates
- Liveblog: Election night 2010 in Brighton, Hove and Sussex
- Blog: Follow your leader - Brighton Pavilion.
- Election 2010: our guide to a hung parliament
- Blog: Secrecy in the Election
- Eastbourne Lib Dem volunteer arrested for Tory poster vandalism
- The big question: how will Brighton Pavilion vote on the 6th?