Results: 650 of 650 constituencies declared
|CON 307||LAB 258||LIB DEM 57||OTHER 28|
Name: Amber Rudd
Candidate for: Hastings & Rye
Why I want to be an MP: Ask me why I decided to go into politics and I’m tempted to slip into the political hyperbole about having a desire to “serve my country” or “create a
fairer, more just society”.
Both would be wonderful but, in reality, my motives are more practical and much closer to home.
The truth is that I’m a parent and I want the best for my children.
I don’t want them to spend most of their lives paying off the debts that my generation ran up.
I don’t want them to feel betrayed because my generation did nothing to create a society where talent was nurtured, where effort was rewarded, where success was encouraged, where people took responsibility for their own actions and had pride in their own achievements.
Most of all, I don’t want them to look at us and say, “you saw what was happening and didn’t try to make a difference”.
I want a future our children deserve.
Marital status: Divorced
Born: London, 1963
Occupation: Recruitment consultant
Interests: Cooking, cinema, theatre, music
Your sayYour Argus
Add your comment
Register for a FREE The Argus account and you can have your say on today's news and sport by adding comments on articles we publish. The best comments may even get published in the paper.
Please register now or log in below to continue.
GENERAL ELECTION 2010 – LATEST NEWS
- General election shake-up likely to result in Brighton by-election
- Brighton Pavilion returns Caroline Lucas as UK's first Green MP
- Where to buy your special election edition of The Argus
- Blog: Getting my questions to the Brighton Pavilion candidates
- Liveblog: Election night 2010 in Brighton, Hove and Sussex
- Blog: Follow your leader - Brighton Pavilion.
- Election 2010: our guide to a hung parliament
- Blog: Secrecy in the Election
- Eastbourne Lib Dem volunteer arrested for Tory poster vandalism
- The big question: how will Brighton Pavilion vote on the 6th?