2:22pm Tuesday 2nd November 2010
By Jonathan Portlock
A safe driving campaign is to be extended for another year after there were 80 less deaths or serious injuries on Surrey’s roads.
The Drive SMART campaign, run by Surrey County Council (SCC) and Surrey Police, was launched in September last year to try and curb antisocial driving.
Now the council’s cabinet has agreed to spend a further £320,000 on the scheme which saw 11 fewer children killed or seriously injured in road accidents.
Leader of the council, Councillor Andrew Povey, said: “While there are a number of factors which have contributed to the reduction in deaths, injuries and crashes on Surrey roads we can be sure that Drive SMART has played a key role in helping save people’s lives and increase road safety.
“This is one of the reasons we have pledged to continue working with Surrey Police to help reduce anti-social driving and increase safety on our roads.”
Since it began, Drive SMART has seen almost 7,000 motorists completing speed awareness courses, as well as police taking action more than 47,000 times.
Surrey Police Chief Constable Mark Rowley said he was pleased to extend the campaign for another year.
He said: “It is clear to me that one of the biggest public concerns in Surrey is driver behaviour and although this initiative has needed to include some enforcement action against the most dangerous drivers, greater emphasis has been placed on education, information and training.”
Chief Constable Rowley said he wanted to change bad driving habits in the long term, not just hand out tickets and fines.
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group