TODAY’s edition of Timeout once again includes brilliant photographs compiled by Christopher Horlock in his new book Brighton From Old Photographs.

Mr Horlock, who was born in Brighton in 1953 and brought up and educated in the city, has released his new book full of photographs documenting some of the forgotten history of the city.

His book shows the main streets, key buildings and amenities of the city plus its piers, seaside attractions and other famous features.

The first pier structure to be built in the city was the Chain Pier, built between 1822 and 1823. It was designed by Captain Samuel Brown and opened in the autumn of 1823.

It wasn’t really used as a pleasure pier as the Brighton Palace Pier is today, but rather as a jetty for ships sailing across the Channel to France and Belgium.

It was 1,134ft long with wooden piles made from Norwegian fir, a sappy, oily wood thought to be water resistant.

The old West Pier can be seen in its prime, pictured above, in the 1870s, with some amusements and amenities available.

Just a couple of years previously, in 1868, a shaking of the pier took place which caused a brief period of panic among visitors.

The pier was then strengthened several times later in the decade and the first extension was added shortly after that. In 1880 alone the pier attracted 845,165 customers.

King’s Road was widened in 1886-87 and is one of the more well-known roads in the city.

It was named after King George IV, builder of the Royal Pavilion, who gave £210 towards constructing the road, which was previously an uneven track across the cliff.

During the early years of the 20th century, Brighton had a well-used tram system.

The photo above shows the tram tracks being laid at Preston Circus in 1901 and it looks as though the tram was being tested before work on the road to secure the tracks was complete.

In the background of this picture, the Hare and Hounds Inn can be seen, which was rebuilt in 1905.The tram system ran throughout the city.