HISTORIAN Ken Fines once called the British Engineerium a “splendid example of Victorian industrial engineering”.

Housed in the Goldstone Pumping Station, the industrial hub is one of Hove’s prime heritage spots.

Some of the people in the pictures above can be seen enjoying an open day at the site – which is now a museum (though it is currently closed for reconstruction).

At its most powerful between 1884 and 1952 the Engineerium consisted of two boiler houses with a chimney, coal cellars, cooling pond and underground reservoir.

It pumped huge quantities of water to Brighton and Hove for more than a century.

As the city began to find other sources of water, though, its importance diminished and in 1971 the British Water Department closed it, threatening it with demolition.

In 2015 there was an arson at the Engineerium.

Flames were seen scaling the side of the chimney with thick black smoke billowing into the sky.

Four fire engines tackled the blaze.

In the end, a wooden shed was destroyed and the brickwork on the 151 year-old Engineerium was blackened.

The boiler house and chimney are two of the 70 Grade Two listed buildings and structures in the city of Brighton and Hove.

Elsewhere in the above pictures, two chefs attend an Academy of Culinary Arts event at Brighton’s Royal Pavilion.

The two men stand in the Great Kitchen of the building, which was completed in 1818 as part of John Nash’s reconstruction of the Royal Pavilion.

Nash was commissioned for the project by George IV, who greatly admired French cuisine.

He was obsessed with dining and wanted to employed a number of French chefs.

In 1816, he hired renowned chef Marie Antonin Carême to work for him at his London home, Carlton House, and at the Royal Pavilion in Brighton.