Exploding tea towels warning after Brighton fires

Phillip Taylor and Amanda Powley outside Terre A Terre

Phillip Taylor and Amanda Powley outside Terre A Terre

First published in Quirkies by , Senior Reporter

A fire chief has warned of the danger of ‘exploding teatowels’ after the dangerous phenomenon struck twice in a single day.

Two fires started by “spontaneously combusting laundry” broke out at Terre a Terre restaurant in Brighton and Brighton College earlier this month.

At Terre a Terre, a pile of tumble-dried tea towels was left in the kitchen overnight after the restaurant had closed.

Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames.

The blaze gutted the kitchen beyond repair and the restaurant will not now reopen until December.

On the same day at Brighton College, a fire caused by the phenomenon broke out in the school.

It took six firemen using jets and hose reels to eventually extinguish the flames.

Brighton borough fire commander Mark Rist said the fire service was becoming “more aware” of the threat posed by drying laundry.

Spontaneously combust

He said: “Laundry can be surprisingly dangerous. If there are still cooking fats or chemicals on tea towels, they can spontaneously combust after being dried.

"This is something I’ve heard of but I’ve never seen it happen twice on one day.”

Mr Rist said people cooking in their kitchens should take care when drying their tea towels.

He said: “We’d advise people to make sure laundry is properly aired after drying to make sure this doesn’t happen too often.”

Olivia Reid from Terre a Terre said she had heard of the phenomenon before but never expected it to happen in the restaurant.

She said: “You can take precautions but it’s always going to be a risk.

“It’s best to process the laundry when people are there to keep an eye on it but in this case the fire destroyed the kitchen.

“Luckily it didn’t spread too far and we’ll be back open soon.”

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:56pm Thu 18 Oct 12

Knightly says...

Cotton /Linen. when these materials come into contact with polyunsaturated vegetable oils(linseed, massage oils) bacteria slowly decompose the materials, producing heat. If these materials are stored in a way so the heat cannot escape, the heat build up increases the rate of decomposition and thus the rate of heat build up increases. Once ignition temperature is reached, combustion occurs with oxidizers present (oxygen).
Cotton /Linen. when these materials come into contact with polyunsaturated vegetable oils(linseed, massage oils) bacteria slowly decompose the materials, producing heat. If these materials are stored in a way so the heat cannot escape, the heat build up increases the rate of decomposition and thus the rate of heat build up increases. Once ignition temperature is reached, combustion occurs with oxidizers present (oxygen). Knightly
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Thu 18 Oct 12

ourcoalition says...

I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!! ourcoalition
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Thu 18 Oct 12

chilliman says...

I have the same trouble with my undergarments which can be very awkward when it occurs on the bus - lol
I have the same trouble with my undergarments which can be very awkward when it occurs on the bus - lol chilliman
  • Score: 0

7:03pm Thu 18 Oct 12

Lady Smith says...

Nice bit of free advertising for them...
Nice bit of free advertising for them... Lady Smith
  • Score: 0

7:15pm Thu 18 Oct 12

qm says...

Lady Smith wrote:
Nice bit of free advertising for them...
Yes . . . they are closed . . . . .
[quote][p][bold]Lady Smith[/bold] wrote: Nice bit of free advertising for them...[/p][/quote]Yes . . . they are closed . . . . . qm
  • Score: 0

10:33pm Thu 18 Oct 12

mictrix says...

Lady Smith wrote:
Nice bit of free advertising for them...
what a complete fool
[quote][p][bold]Lady Smith[/bold] wrote: Nice bit of free advertising for them...[/p][/quote]what a complete fool mictrix
  • Score: 0

11:54pm Thu 18 Oct 12

Baldseagull says...

chilliman wrote:
I have the same trouble with my undergarments which can be very awkward when it occurs on the bus - lol
Liar, liar....
[quote][p][bold]chilliman[/bold] wrote: I have the same trouble with my undergarments which can be very awkward when it occurs on the bus - lol[/p][/quote]Liar, liar.... Baldseagull
  • Score: 0

8:33am Fri 19 Oct 12

Cash Cow says...

Knightly wrote:
Cotton /Linen. when these materials come into contact with polyunsaturated vegetable oils(linseed, massage oils) bacteria slowly decompose the materials, producing heat. If these materials are stored in a way so the heat cannot escape, the heat build up increases the rate of decomposition and thus the rate of heat build up increases. Once ignition temperature is reached, combustion occurs with oxidizers present (oxygen).
Brilliant, you've solved a mystery of humankind. If you don't wipe your bum properly, after eating chips, and you are wearing cotton pants, then Spontaneous Human Combustion could occur.
[quote][p][bold]Knightly[/bold] wrote: Cotton /Linen. when these materials come into contact with polyunsaturated vegetable oils(linseed, massage oils) bacteria slowly decompose the materials, producing heat. If these materials are stored in a way so the heat cannot escape, the heat build up increases the rate of decomposition and thus the rate of heat build up increases. Once ignition temperature is reached, combustion occurs with oxidizers present (oxygen).[/p][/quote]Brilliant, you've solved a mystery of humankind. If you don't wipe your bum properly, after eating chips, and you are wearing cotton pants, then Spontaneous Human Combustion could occur. Cash Cow
  • Score: 0

8:35am Fri 19 Oct 12

Cash Cow says...

ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
[quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint". Cash Cow
  • Score: 0

9:05am Fri 19 Oct 12

ruberducker says...

It took six firemen using jets and hose reels to eventually extinguish the flames.
"well what else would they use"?
It took six firemen using jets and hose reels to eventually extinguish the flames. "well what else would they use"? ruberducker
  • Score: 0

9:25am Fri 19 Oct 12

Gym'll fix me says...

Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
[quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx Gym'll fix me
  • Score: 0

9:26am Fri 19 Oct 12

Gym'll fix me says...

ruberducker wrote:
It took six firemen using jets and hose reels to eventually extinguish the flames.
"well what else would they use"?
Gaviscon, it is like a Fireman squirting his hose down your throat. Apparently
[quote][p][bold]ruberducker[/bold] wrote: It took six firemen using jets and hose reels to eventually extinguish the flames. "well what else would they use"?[/p][/quote]Gaviscon, it is like a Fireman squirting his hose down your throat. Apparently Gym'll fix me
  • Score: 0

9:35am Fri 19 Oct 12

Cash Cow says...

Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
[quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear! Cash Cow
  • Score: 0

9:57am Fri 19 Oct 12

Morpheus says...

Perhaps the answer is to wash them first. Do we really want to go into a restaurant that puts used tea towels into a drier and uses them again?
Perhaps the answer is to wash them first. Do we really want to go into a restaurant that puts used tea towels into a drier and uses them again? Morpheus
  • Score: 0

10:39am Fri 19 Oct 12

Keep up! says...

Cash Cow wrote:
Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. "

The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source.

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.
[quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear![/p][/quote]"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. " The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source. It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part. Keep up!
  • Score: 0

11:16am Fri 19 Oct 12

redwing says...

Morpheus wrote:
Perhaps the answer is to wash them first. Do we really want to go into a restaurant that puts used tea towels into a drier and uses them again?
Quite. One bright spark here at least.
[quote][p][bold]Morpheus[/bold] wrote: Perhaps the answer is to wash them first. Do we really want to go into a restaurant that puts used tea towels into a drier and uses them again?[/p][/quote]Quite. One bright spark here at least. redwing
  • Score: 0

12:03pm Fri 19 Oct 12

Old Ladys Gin says...

Tea towels = manky.
Hideous things that do nothing other than spread germs.
People wash glasses/utensils then 'dry' them on some damp germ ridden cloth that's been hanging around for days.
Tea towels = manky. Hideous things that do nothing other than spread germs. People wash glasses/utensils then 'dry' them on some damp germ ridden cloth that's been hanging around for days. Old Ladys Gin
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Fri 19 Oct 12

Made In Sussex says...

Old Ladys Gin wrote:
Tea towels = manky.
Hideous things that do nothing other than spread germs.
People wash glasses/utensils then 'dry' them on some damp germ ridden cloth that's been hanging around for days.
In your house maybe but not manky if they are only used to dry clean items, aired out to dry after use and replaced frequently..
[quote][p][bold]Old Ladys Gin[/bold] wrote: Tea towels = manky. Hideous things that do nothing other than spread germs. People wash glasses/utensils then 'dry' them on some damp germ ridden cloth that's been hanging around for days.[/p][/quote]In your house maybe but not manky if they are only used to dry clean items, aired out to dry after use and replaced frequently.. Made In Sussex
  • Score: 0

1:55pm Fri 19 Oct 12

Jagmanmc says...

Have come across this twice myself.
First time was in a tumble dryer in a garage and the second was in an industrial tumble dryer where laundry has self ignited after drying and been left in the machine.
Modern tumble dryers have a cooling cycle and you should never remove laundry without either running full cycle or cooling the machine by running the last 10 minutes or so (depends on the machine). I have told people this who have ridiculed me in the past but it all boils down to experience and previous knowledge. Don't go out and leave tumble dryers on, and air your laundry properly.
Have come across this twice myself. First time was in a tumble dryer in a garage and the second was in an industrial tumble dryer where laundry has self ignited after drying and been left in the machine. Modern tumble dryers have a cooling cycle and you should never remove laundry without either running full cycle or cooling the machine by running the last 10 minutes or so (depends on the machine). I have told people this who have ridiculed me in the past but it all boils down to experience and previous knowledge. Don't go out and leave tumble dryers on, and air your laundry properly. Jagmanmc
  • Score: 0

3:28pm Fri 19 Oct 12

ourcoalition says...

Do I have to now withdraw my praise of Knightly?
No, please, please, do not respond - I can't take it.................!
!!!!!
Do I have to now withdraw my praise of Knightly? No, please, please, do not respond - I can't take it.................! !!!!! ourcoalition
  • Score: 0

5:44pm Fri 19 Oct 12

Cash Cow says...

Keep up! wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. "

The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source.

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.
Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself:

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.”

Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".
[quote][p][bold]Keep up![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear![/p][/quote]"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. " The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source. It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.[/p][/quote]Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself: It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.” Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment". Cash Cow
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Fri 19 Oct 12

MikeyA says...

Reminds me of an old Goon Show script - Tales of Men's Shirts!
Reminds me of an old Goon Show script - Tales of Men's Shirts! MikeyA
  • Score: 0

6:43am Sat 20 Oct 12

Capt. Sensiblé says...

Cash Cow wrote:
Keep up! wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. "

The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source.

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.
Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself:

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.”

Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".
My God.
[quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keep up![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear![/p][/quote]"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. " The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source. It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.[/p][/quote]Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself: It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.” Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".[/p][/quote]My God. Capt. Sensiblé
  • Score: 0

11:16am Sat 20 Oct 12

Cash Bull says...

Cash Cow wrote:
Keep up! wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. "

The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source.

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.
Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself:

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.”

Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".
I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue.
Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view.

CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous.
;)
[quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keep up![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear![/p][/quote]"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. " The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source. It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.[/p][/quote]Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself: It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.” Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".[/p][/quote]I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue. Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view. CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous. ;) Cash Bull
  • Score: 0

2:42am Sun 21 Oct 12

Cash Cow says...

Cash Bull wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Keep up! wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. "

The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source.

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.
Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself:

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.”

Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".
I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue.
Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view.

CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous.
;)
Thanks for the advice. You are obviously in awe of me, because you have changed your username to match mine. Perhaps it's you who needs to learn to think for himself, and don't worry too much about what I write, concentrate on the standard, content and quality of your own efforts Cash Bull, husband!
[quote][p][bold]Cash Bull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keep up![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear![/p][/quote]"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. " The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source. It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.[/p][/quote]Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself: It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.” Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".[/p][/quote]I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue. Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view. CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous. ;)[/p][/quote]Thanks for the advice. You are obviously in awe of me, because you have changed your username to match mine. Perhaps it's you who needs to learn to think for himself, and don't worry too much about what I write, concentrate on the standard, content and quality of your own efforts Cash Bull, husband! Cash Cow
  • Score: 0

10:59am Sun 21 Oct 12

Cash Bull says...

Cash Cow wrote:
Cash Bull wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Keep up! wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. "

The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source.

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.
Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself:

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.”

Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".
I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue.
Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view.

CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous.
;)
Thanks for the advice. You are obviously in awe of me, because you have changed your username to match mine. Perhaps it's you who needs to learn to think for himself, and don't worry too much about what I write, concentrate on the standard, content and quality of your own efforts Cash Bull, husband!
I am just looking after the weaker member of the herd xxx
[quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Bull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keep up![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear![/p][/quote]"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. " The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source. It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.[/p][/quote]Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself: It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.” Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".[/p][/quote]I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue. Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view. CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous. ;)[/p][/quote]Thanks for the advice. You are obviously in awe of me, because you have changed your username to match mine. Perhaps it's you who needs to learn to think for himself, and don't worry too much about what I write, concentrate on the standard, content and quality of your own efforts Cash Bull, husband![/p][/quote]I am just looking after the weaker member of the herd xxx Cash Bull
  • Score: 0

1:17pm Sun 21 Oct 12

Cash Bull says...

Cash Bull wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Cash Bull wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Keep up! wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
Gym'll fix me wrote:
Cash Cow wrote:
ourcoalition wrote:
I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!!
Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".
I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there.....

Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source'

The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning.

In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source.

I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx
Woefully incorrect?

If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear!
"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. "

The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source.

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.
Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself:

It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will;

a)Help you to make an informed comment.

b) Stop you looking foolish.

c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.”

Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".
I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue.
Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view.

CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous.
;)
Thanks for the advice. You are obviously in awe of me, because you have changed your username to match mine. Perhaps it's you who needs to learn to think for himself, and don't worry too much about what I write, concentrate on the standard, content and quality of your own efforts Cash Bull, husband!
I am just looking after the weaker member of the herd xxx
As H.M.R.M have looked after Matelots since 1664' soldier and sailor too ;)
[quote][p][bold]Cash Bull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Bull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keep up![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gym'll fix me[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cash Cow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ourcoalition[/bold] wrote: I might not agree with you on politics, but I bow to your knowledge on this!!![/p][/quote]Except "ignition temperature" is called the "flashpoint".[/p][/quote]I am sorry, you are woefully incorrect there..... Flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it is ignitable by an 'external burning source' The ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which the fuel will automatically get ignited in the atmosphere (NTP) without even an external source of burning. In other words, flash point requires external igniting source while ignition point does not require an external burning source. I hope that dampens down your pedantry xxxxx[/p][/quote]Woefully incorrect? If we are to have an argument about this can you just confirm what you meant was "Autoignition temperature", which is when burning occurs without an external heat source, then I will try not to pedantic dear![/p][/quote]"Heat began to gradually build up in the centre of the mound of laundry before it suddenly exploded into flames. " The story was about ....... SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (Look it up) not about someone lighting the article or it being lit with an external source. It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.[/p][/quote]Your absolutely right, the story is about Spontaneous Combustion, so if as you say, and you apply your attempt at being clever to yourself: It helps if, before being pedantic, you are aware of the complete facts. Try reading the story AND the comments it will; a)Help you to make an informed comment. b) Stop you looking foolish. c)Avoid future embarrassment on your part.” Then you would realise I already knew this if you had read my 8:33am posting. I look forward to your next "informed comment".[/p][/quote]I read your 8.33 comment but assumed you were either on drugs or not all there....I also though the last thing you would want was someone to read it and attribute it to you... However it is your subsequent comments that became.. well frankly, increasingly off the wall, and you seemed to be having trouble concentrating on the issue. Having explained it all to you as simply as possible ... and in layman terms.... you became even more confused and kept returning to your increasingly irrational and ill thought out point of view. CASH COW,..... I know you have the ability to contribute sensibly, as I pointed out on your 'NEWHAVEN FLOOD DEFENCES' comment, but you need to walk away from this one as it is making you appear somewhat unhinged and more than a trifle ridiculous. ;)[/p][/quote]Thanks for the advice. You are obviously in awe of me, because you have changed your username to match mine. Perhaps it's you who needs to learn to think for himself, and don't worry too much about what I write, concentrate on the standard, content and quality of your own efforts Cash Bull, husband![/p][/quote]I am just looking after the weaker member of the herd xxx[/p][/quote]As H.M.R.M have looked after Matelots since 1664' soldier and sailor too ;) Cash Bull
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree