Duncan should go

Councillor Ben Duncan

Councillor Ben Duncan

First published in Letters

Is history repeating itself in local government?

Many years ago we had local politicians who wreaked havoc and brought shame on the areas they purported to represent –namely Red Ken Livingstone, Bernie Grant and Red Ted Knight, to name but a few.

All served to the detriment of their area because of their self opinionated stance and misplaced ideological views which were imposed on the majority because of their position as councillors.

It seems a generation later we in Brighton and Hove are to be railroaded by our own Councillor Ben Duncan (pictured below).

Not satisfied with besmirching the good name of our Armed Forces, unaware of the difference between a swastika and Celtic Cross, we now have a call to ban purchase and/or use of all goods with an Israeli connection.

Does Cllr Duncan know what the implications of such a ban would entail? Perhaps he should explain them before asking people to support them.

Sorry he can’t because his phone, Twitter, text etc all have Israeli parts and technological input.

This is an elected representative, partially disowned by his own party although still on all committees and still employed in the PR department of a Green MEP.

Is it not time that this person stood down as a councillor and representative of this fine city?

He will have plenty of time to promulgate his principles and ideology on a personal basis without bringing the good name of the City of Brighton and Hove into disrepute.

Joe Tansey Coldean Lane Brighton

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:59pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Andy R says...

You seem to have forgotten the key word in your letter - "elected".

Where does your authority to call for him to "go" come from?

By the way the three individuals who you seek to demonise in your opening para were also elected - many times over.
You seem to have forgotten the key word in your letter - "elected". Where does your authority to call for him to "go" come from? By the way the three individuals who you seek to demonise in your opening para were also elected - many times over. Andy R
  • Score: -5

5:05pm Thu 28 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

Andy R wrote:
You seem to have forgotten the key word in your letter - "elected".

Where does your authority to call for him to "go" come from?

By the way the three individuals who you seek to demonise in your opening para were also elected - many times over.
"You seem to have forgotten the key word in your letter - "elected". "

He was elected by people who wanted a Green representing him. He is no longer a Green so he actually doesn't represent ANYONE in his constituency.

He therefore should resign and stand again in the ensuing election.

"Where does your authority to call for him to "go" come from?"

From the right to freedom of expression, perhaps?

"By the way the three individuals who you seek to demonise in your opening para were also elected - many times over."

Hitler was elected.

Sorry, what was your point?
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: You seem to have forgotten the key word in your letter - "elected". Where does your authority to call for him to "go" come from? By the way the three individuals who you seek to demonise in your opening para were also elected - many times over.[/p][/quote]"You seem to have forgotten the key word in your letter - "elected". " He was elected by people who wanted a Green representing him. He is no longer a Green so he actually doesn't represent ANYONE in his constituency. He therefore should resign and stand again in the ensuing election. "Where does your authority to call for him to "go" come from?" From the right to freedom of expression, perhaps? "By the way the three individuals who you seek to demonise in your opening para were also elected - many times over." Hitler was elected. Sorry, what was your point? ok,jared
  • Score: 2

11:39am Fri 29 Aug 14

Andy R says...

Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again.
Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again. Andy R
  • Score: -3

1:20pm Fri 29 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

Andy R wrote:
Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again.
March 1933 Federal elections.

His party won the most seats and formed a coalition in order to secure a majority government.

Have you worked out ( after being told by me) that Duncan actually represents no-one at the moment?
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again.[/p][/quote]March 1933 Federal elections. His party won the most seats and formed a coalition in order to secure a majority government. Have you worked out ( after being told by me) that Duncan actually represents no-one at the moment? ok,jared
  • Score: 2

3:24pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Andy R says...

ok,jared wrote:
Andy R wrote:
Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again.
March 1933 Federal elections.

His party won the most seats and formed a coalition in order to secure a majority government.

Have you worked out ( after being told by me) that Duncan actually represents no-one at the moment?
Wrong. Hitler never won a free national election in Germany. He was simply appointed by the the President, Hindenburg, who apparently thought it would be a way of reining him in. He was never elected.
[quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again.[/p][/quote]March 1933 Federal elections. His party won the most seats and formed a coalition in order to secure a majority government. Have you worked out ( after being told by me) that Duncan actually represents no-one at the moment?[/p][/quote]Wrong. Hitler never won a free national election in Germany. He was simply appointed by the the President, Hindenburg, who apparently thought it would be a way of reining him in. He was never elected. Andy R
  • Score: -2

3:46pm Fri 29 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

Andy R wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
Andy R wrote:
Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again.
March 1933 Federal elections.

His party won the most seats and formed a coalition in order to secure a majority government.

Have you worked out ( after being told by me) that Duncan actually represents no-one at the moment?
Wrong. Hitler never won a free national election in Germany. He was simply appointed by the the President, Hindenburg, who apparently thought it would be a way of reining him in. He was never elected.
But his party of which we was leader did form a government after receiving more votes from the electorate than any other party in a national election.

He was at that time Chancellor, but this was for a different election.
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: Erm...nope....Hitler wasn't elected. Try again.[/p][/quote]March 1933 Federal elections. His party won the most seats and formed a coalition in order to secure a majority government. Have you worked out ( after being told by me) that Duncan actually represents no-one at the moment?[/p][/quote]Wrong. Hitler never won a free national election in Germany. He was simply appointed by the the President, Hindenburg, who apparently thought it would be a way of reining him in. He was never elected.[/p][/quote]But his party of which we was leader did form a government after receiving more votes from the electorate than any other party in a national election. He was at that time Chancellor, but this was for a different election. ok,jared
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree