Kuszczak cool on contract talks

The Argus: Tomasz Kuszczak is out of contract at the end of the season Tomasz Kuszczak is out of contract at the end of the season

Tomasz Kuszczak says the time is not right to discuss his Albion future.

The former Manchester United back-up keeper has ambitions to return to the Premier League, preferably with the Seagulls.

But he is relaxed that talks have not started with the club yet about a new contract.

Kuszczak has missed only three Championship matches out of 63 since Albion snapped him up on a free transfer.

The in-form Pole, whose two-year contract expires at the end of the season, told The Argus: “Of course I have the desire to stay, because I feel good here. But there are two aspects to football – what you do on the pitch and a negotiation to find a solution contract wise.

“Nobody has talked to me about that but it’s not a problem for me because I know at the right moment I am definitely going to have some conversations with Oscar (Garcia) or the chairman.

“It’s not the right time for that. We are coming to the middle of the season, fighting for points to achieve something and be promoted. I’ve always said first you do a good job and then you talk about the contract.

“My mind is only on the football. I don’t really spend a minute thinking about what is going to happen, am I going to stay or go. I do my job and then we will see.

“There is going to be enough time to discuss different aspects, or whether I am going to stay here or move somewhere. I think the right time will come and it’s not now.”

Kuszczak makes his 23rd consecutive league appearance between the posts against basement club Barnsley at The Amex tonight as Albion attempt to stretch their undefeated sequence to seven games.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:31am Tue 3 Dec 13

Sacre Bleu says...

Typical Argus fodder.
Typical Argus fodder. Sacre Bleu

8:37am Tue 3 Dec 13

pablobrowno says...

Love Tomasz, he has an almost Cantona style philosophical attitude to things, quite a character. A superb keeper too who has been an integral part of every point we have picked up. We MUST keep him!!

The good news is I think he loves in in Brighton and his family are very settled.
Love Tomasz, he has an almost Cantona style philosophical attitude to things, quite a character. A superb keeper too who has been an integral part of every point we have picked up. We MUST keep him!! The good news is I think he loves in in Brighton and his family are very settled. pablobrowno

8:45am Tue 3 Dec 13

nkwbtn says...

Player of the season so far for me..
Player of the season so far for me.. nkwbtn

8:50am Tue 3 Dec 13

Tall Boys says...

What a difference it makes to have a keeper that has the confidence of his defence and the crowd. When the time comes - please stay Tomasz.
What a difference it makes to have a keeper that has the confidence of his defence and the crowd. When the time comes - please stay Tomasz. Tall Boys

9:05am Tue 3 Dec 13

Man from Uncle says...

Best keeper the club have had!
Best keeper the club have had! Man from Uncle

10:54am Tue 3 Dec 13

pjwilk says...

More chances of keeping a clean sheet if we have two posts and a Pole in the middle.
More chances of keeping a clean sheet if we have two posts and a Pole in the middle. pjwilk

11:09am Tue 3 Dec 13

tug509 says...

Great keeper,he always looks as though he cant be beaten,his confidence and ability rubs off on the rest of the team,another clean sheet tonight !. UTA
Great keeper,he always looks as though he cant be beaten,his confidence and ability rubs off on the rest of the team,another clean sheet tonight !. UTA tug509

11:22am Tue 3 Dec 13

Albion23 says...

We cannot afford to lose a keeper of Tommy Ks experience & class. Im sure when talks start T B will make sure he, s still an Albion player. Lets look for 3points tonight. It will only boost confidence in the camp even more for the maim event Sat. Good Luck Lads.
We cannot afford to lose a keeper of Tommy Ks experience & class. Im sure when talks start T B will make sure he, s still an Albion player. Lets look for 3points tonight. It will only boost confidence in the camp even more for the maim event Sat. Good Luck Lads. Albion23

11:59am Tue 3 Dec 13

mrgull says...

Tomasz might well be cool as to the contract situation,but we,the club,should be on fire with intentions to re-sign him.I agree entirely with the player of the season accolades.As a future premiership team we need players who will perform at that level NOW
Tomasz might well be cool as to the contract situation,but we,the club,should be on fire with intentions to re-sign him.I agree entirely with the player of the season accolades.As a future premiership team we need players who will perform at that level NOW mrgull

12:26pm Tue 3 Dec 13

There are seagulls in Islamabad says...

Awesome player, our best this year, I think.
Awesome player, our best this year, I think. There are seagulls in Islamabad

1:53pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Thewithdeanyears says...

A hint of suspicion of angling for a move in there by the sound of it, Bloom had better not make a mess of it this time like he did with Gus, what he needs to do is demonstrate ambition in order to retain the best players and managers. Could be an uncomfortable January if we're not careful.
A hint of suspicion of angling for a move in there by the sound of it, Bloom had better not make a mess of it this time like he did with Gus, what he needs to do is demonstrate ambition in order to retain the best players and managers. Could be an uncomfortable January if we're not careful. Thewithdeanyears

2:12pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Ex-pat Arnie says...

I presume talks will start once the January window is out of the way? TK can see we're a club on the up and wants to be a part of that 'project' (I hate that word, but it's been used before to describe the way the club is going).

We've had some fine keepers over the years, but none that I can remember were as good as Kuszczak. An incredible signing that was a proper statement of intent by the club.
I presume talks will start once the January window is out of the way? TK can see we're a club on the up and wants to be a part of that 'project' (I hate that word, but it's been used before to describe the way the club is going). We've had some fine keepers over the years, but none that I can remember were as good as Kuszczak. An incredible signing that was a proper statement of intent by the club. Ex-pat Arnie

2:20pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

Kusz has no need to consider a contract extension at this time, he, just like all of us, knows that a new contract is going to be offered by the club.
Thewithdeanyears felt that a hint of prem ambition dwells within the comment made by Kusz, I got that feeling too, but I am not worried about it as I feel sure that our shot stopper is enjoying his football with Brighton.

The world cup is coming up an all those wising to make their national squads must keep playing and keep playing well, with us Kusz will keep playing.
Kusz has no need to consider a contract extension at this time, he, just like all of us, knows that a new contract is going to be offered by the club. Thewithdeanyears felt that a hint of prem ambition dwells within the comment made by Kusz, I got that feeling too, but I am not worried about it as I feel sure that our shot stopper is enjoying his football with Brighton. The world cup is coming up an all those wising to make their national squads must keep playing and keep playing well, with us Kusz will keep playing. VegasSeagull

3:52pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

All of the following players have their contracts expiring in June 2014.

Ince - Kuszczak - Upson - Bridcutt - Lopez - Orlandi - Lua Lua - Buckley and Barnes.

Oscar has some decisions to make and the board might want to get on with securing a few of the above. We might not be able to fend off interest but we should at least make sure that we stand to get good money if potential suitors start sniffing around. Bridders gone on a free, doesn't bare thinking about.
All of the following players have their contracts expiring in June 2014. Ince - Kuszczak - Upson - Bridcutt - Lopez - Orlandi - Lua Lua - Buckley and Barnes. Oscar has some decisions to make and the board might want to get on with securing a few of the above. We might not be able to fend off interest but we should at least make sure that we stand to get good money if potential suitors start sniffing around. Bridders gone on a free, doesn't bare thinking about. VegasSeagull

3:55pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Ex-pat Arnie says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
All of the following players have their contracts expiring in June 2014.

Ince - Kuszczak - Upson - Bridcutt - Lopez - Orlandi - Lua Lua - Buckley and Barnes.

Oscar has some decisions to make and the board might want to get on with securing a few of the above. We might not be able to fend off interest but we should at least make sure that we stand to get good money if potential suitors start sniffing around. Bridders gone on a free, doesn't bare thinking about.
I can't think of a single one of the players you've listed who I would be happy losing. Some people might suggest Dave, but he has too much quality to remain in the doldrums for much longer.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: All of the following players have their contracts expiring in June 2014. Ince - Kuszczak - Upson - Bridcutt - Lopez - Orlandi - Lua Lua - Buckley and Barnes. Oscar has some decisions to make and the board might want to get on with securing a few of the above. We might not be able to fend off interest but we should at least make sure that we stand to get good money if potential suitors start sniffing around. Bridders gone on a free, doesn't bare thinking about.[/p][/quote]I can't think of a single one of the players you've listed who I would be happy losing. Some people might suggest Dave, but he has too much quality to remain in the doldrums for much longer. Ex-pat Arnie

4:08pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Captain Haddock says...

Nerve-wracking article tbh!
Nerve-wracking article tbh! Captain Haddock

4:16pm Tue 3 Dec 13

tug509 says...

Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA
Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA tug509

4:22pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

tug509 wrote:
Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA
Yep, when I was checking them out I double checked his contract, I was sure that I read it wrongly. I think the info I was looking at must be wrong but it clearly states that his time is up in 2014.
I will find a second source to try and confirm.
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA[/p][/quote]Yep, when I was checking them out I double checked his contract, I was sure that I read it wrongly. I think the info I was looking at must be wrong but it clearly states that his time is up in 2014. I will find a second source to try and confirm. VegasSeagull

4:26pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
tug509 wrote:
Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA
Yep, when I was checking them out I double checked his contract, I was sure that I read it wrongly. I think the info I was looking at must be wrong but it clearly states that his time is up in 2014.
I will find a second source to try and confirm.
Yep, 2017 it is, so now I am wondering if any of the others are wrongly stated. I got the info for all of them from the, Football Portal site, the confirmation of Will's 2017 contract came from the BBC sports site.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA[/p][/quote]Yep, when I was checking them out I double checked his contract, I was sure that I read it wrongly. I think the info I was looking at must be wrong but it clearly states that his time is up in 2014. I will find a second source to try and confirm.[/p][/quote]Yep, 2017 it is, so now I am wondering if any of the others are wrongly stated. I got the info for all of them from the, Football Portal site, the confirmation of Will's 2017 contract came from the BBC sports site. VegasSeagull

4:33pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

Hey Tug, what chances Yeovil take a point at home tonight?
Have you placed any bets for tonight's matches?
How do you think Oscar will approach tonight's match.
Hey Tug, what chances Yeovil take a point at home tonight? Have you placed any bets for tonight's matches? How do you think Oscar will approach tonight's match. VegasSeagull

4:34pm Tue 3 Dec 13

tug509 says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
tug509 wrote:
Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA
Yep, when I was checking them out I double checked his contract, I was sure that I read it wrongly. I think the info I was looking at must be wrong but it clearly states that his time is up in 2014.
I will find a second source to try and confirm.
Yep, 2017 it is, so now I am wondering if any of the others are wrongly stated. I got the info for all of them from the, Football Portal site, the confirmation of Will's 2017 contract came from the BBC sports site.
One down eight to go,all worth a new deal imho. UTA
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Hi Vegas,i was under the impression that Buckley had extended his contract to 2016/17 ,i hope that`s not just my wishful thinking. UTA[/p][/quote]Yep, when I was checking them out I double checked his contract, I was sure that I read it wrongly. I think the info I was looking at must be wrong but it clearly states that his time is up in 2014. I will find a second source to try and confirm.[/p][/quote]Yep, 2017 it is, so now I am wondering if any of the others are wrongly stated. I got the info for all of them from the, Football Portal site, the confirmation of Will's 2017 contract came from the BBC sports site.[/p][/quote]One down eight to go,all worth a new deal imho. UTA tug509

4:44pm Tue 3 Dec 13

sussexram40 says...

A decent keeper but not one of our all time greats.
Punches and flaps too much, instead of catching the ball and ending the attack.
A good shot stopper though.
__________
Registered Argus football commenter
A decent keeper but not one of our all time greats. Punches and flaps too much, instead of catching the ball and ending the attack. A good shot stopper though. __________ Registered Argus football commenter sussexram40

4:46pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

sussexram40 wrote:
A decent keeper but not one of our all time greats.
Punches and flaps too much, instead of catching the ball and ending the attack.
A good shot stopper though.
__________
Registered Argus football commenter
and your all time greats are??
[quote][p][bold]sussexram40[/bold] wrote: A decent keeper but not one of our all time greats. Punches and flaps too much, instead of catching the ball and ending the attack. A good shot stopper though. __________ Registered Argus football commenter[/p][/quote]and your all time greats are?? VegasSeagull

5:04pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Ex-pat Arnie says...

sussexram40 wrote:
A decent keeper but not one of our all time greats.
Punches and flaps too much, instead of catching the ball and ending the attack.
A good shot stopper though.
__________
Registered Argus football commenter
The attack is only ended though if the keeper doesn't drop the ball. If in doubt, punch it out.

The balls of the last 2-3 years swerve so much that catching is FAR more difficult than it used to be. And it isn't just the swerve, but random dips... you only have to look at Sandro's goal the other day to see how the ball moves randomly in the air, especially if it's not spinning. Better to punch, IMO.

Therefore, if his shot-stopping is as good as any other then you can't compare the rest of his game to players from different eras.
[quote][p][bold]sussexram40[/bold] wrote: A decent keeper but not one of our all time greats. Punches and flaps too much, instead of catching the ball and ending the attack. A good shot stopper though. __________ Registered Argus football commenter[/p][/quote]The attack is only ended though if the keeper doesn't drop the ball. If in doubt, punch it out. The balls of the last 2-3 years swerve so much that catching is FAR more difficult than it used to be. And it isn't just the swerve, but random dips... you only have to look at Sandro's goal the other day to see how the ball moves randomly in the air, especially if it's not spinning. Better to punch, IMO. Therefore, if his shot-stopping is as good as any other then you can't compare the rest of his game to players from different eras. Ex-pat Arnie

5:33pm Tue 3 Dec 13

tug509 says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Hey Tug, what chances Yeovil take a point at home tonight?
Have you placed any bets for tonight's matches?
How do you think Oscar will approach tonight's match.
Hey Vegas,yes i can see Yeovil taking something off Blackpool,they will be up for it after saturdays away win at Watford. Tonight i have done a 6 team accumulator,3 tomorrow and 3 tonight,tonight i have got us of course and QPR to do what we failed to do on saturday,and i have Leicester to win at Sheff Wed.

I think Oscar needs to make a statement of intent tonight,so i would guess he might make a couple of changes,but he will surely give them a wake up after the weekend,but we all know Oscar is like Gus when it comes to changes,he is cautious.

A little worried about the "sacked manager syndrome" but we really should put Barnsley to the sword ! ,here`s hoping . UTA

ps. i should have put Barnes down for at least one goal tonight,i have just had that feeling all day !.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: Hey Tug, what chances Yeovil take a point at home tonight? Have you placed any bets for tonight's matches? How do you think Oscar will approach tonight's match.[/p][/quote]Hey Vegas,yes i can see Yeovil taking something off Blackpool,they will be up for it after saturdays away win at Watford. Tonight i have done a 6 team accumulator,3 tomorrow and 3 tonight,tonight i have got us of course and QPR to do what we failed to do on saturday,and i have Leicester to win at Sheff Wed. I think Oscar needs to make a statement of intent tonight,so i would guess he might make a couple of changes,but he will surely give them a wake up after the weekend,but we all know Oscar is like Gus when it comes to changes,he is cautious. A little worried about the "sacked manager syndrome" but we really should put Barnsley to the sword ! ,here`s hoping . UTA ps. i should have put Barnes down for at least one goal tonight,i have just had that feeling all day !. tug509

5:38pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Falmer Wizard says...

He has been an outstanding player for us and deserves the chance to play in the Premiership,we should be able to sign another top keeper with the fee we receive for him.
He has been an outstanding player for us and deserves the chance to play in the Premiership,we should be able to sign another top keeper with the fee we receive for him. Falmer Wizard

5:47pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

tug509 wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Hey Tug, what chances Yeovil take a point at home tonight?
Have you placed any bets for tonight's matches?
How do you think Oscar will approach tonight's match.
Hey Vegas,yes i can see Yeovil taking something off Blackpool,they will be up for it after saturdays away win at Watford. Tonight i have done a 6 team accumulator,3 tomorrow and 3 tonight,tonight i have got us of course and QPR to do what we failed to do on saturday,and i have Leicester to win at Sheff Wed.

I think Oscar needs to make a statement of intent tonight,so i would guess he might make a couple of changes,but he will surely give them a wake up after the weekend,but we all know Oscar is like Gus when it comes to changes,he is cautious.

A little worried about the "sacked manager syndrome" but we really should put Barnsley to the sword ! ,here`s hoping . UTA

ps. i should have put Barnes down for at least one goal tonight,i have just had that feeling all day !.
Yeah I can see your 3 for tonight coming in, I asked the question about Yeovil because I too think that they can get something from tonight.
Barnsley might get a lift from the, 'sacked manager syndrome,' but that lift would have to be really high to enable them to get anything from tonight's match.
I don't think Brighton will be judged on, 'if,' we win, I think it will be, 'the way in which we win.' We need to dominate tonight, be the best in all aspects of the game, anything less than that will open the doors for the fools to rush into this forum and start to pick holes.
I really think we need to continue to send out a message to the rest of the division by winning with style and class.
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: Hey Tug, what chances Yeovil take a point at home tonight? Have you placed any bets for tonight's matches? How do you think Oscar will approach tonight's match.[/p][/quote]Hey Vegas,yes i can see Yeovil taking something off Blackpool,they will be up for it after saturdays away win at Watford. Tonight i have done a 6 team accumulator,3 tomorrow and 3 tonight,tonight i have got us of course and QPR to do what we failed to do on saturday,and i have Leicester to win at Sheff Wed. I think Oscar needs to make a statement of intent tonight,so i would guess he might make a couple of changes,but he will surely give them a wake up after the weekend,but we all know Oscar is like Gus when it comes to changes,he is cautious. A little worried about the "sacked manager syndrome" but we really should put Barnsley to the sword ! ,here`s hoping . UTA ps. i should have put Barnes down for at least one goal tonight,i have just had that feeling all day !.[/p][/quote]Yeah I can see your 3 for tonight coming in, I asked the question about Yeovil because I too think that they can get something from tonight. Barnsley might get a lift from the, 'sacked manager syndrome,' but that lift would have to be really high to enable them to get anything from tonight's match. I don't think Brighton will be judged on, 'if,' we win, I think it will be, 'the way in which we win.' We need to dominate tonight, be the best in all aspects of the game, anything less than that will open the doors for the fools to rush into this forum and start to pick holes. I really think we need to continue to send out a message to the rest of the division by winning with style and class. VegasSeagull

6:34pm Tue 3 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

Falmer Wizard wrote:
He has been an outstanding player for us and deserves the chance to play in the Premiership,we should be able to sign another top keeper with the fee we receive for him.
yes assuming that we get a fee, if his contract expires he would leave on a free would he not?
[quote][p][bold]Falmer Wizard[/bold] wrote: He has been an outstanding player for us and deserves the chance to play in the Premiership,we should be able to sign another top keeper with the fee we receive for him.[/p][/quote]yes assuming that we get a fee, if his contract expires he would leave on a free would he not? VegasSeagull

11:17pm Tue 3 Dec 13

raymondo999 says...

Come on argus why nothing on tonites game yet.? A team full of midfielders who pass to death with no penetration. Leroy on the bench and given only 10 minutes . Useless
Come on argus why nothing on tonites game yet.? A team full of midfielders who pass to death with no penetration. Leroy on the bench and given only 10 minutes . Useless raymondo999

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree