The Argus"Lethal" Obika backed to be a hit (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

"Lethal" Obika backed to be a hit

The Argus: Jonathan Obika Jonathan Obika

New boy Jonathan Obika has been backed to make an impact with Albion – after a “lethal” six-goal blast in front of Nathan Jones.

The 23-year-old Tottenham striker has signed for the Seagulls on a 93-day loan deal.

But reports were emerging late last night that Ashley Barnes could be poised to leave The Amex to join Burnley.

Albion have been tracking 6ft frontrunner Obita, who caught the eye of Jones when he was working for Yeovil and later Charlton, since early in the season.

Plans to sign him were put on ice due to injury but he underlined his return to full working order with a double hat-trick in a friendly for Tottenham against Charlton’s under-21s this week with Albion’s assistant head coach in attendance.

Former Seagulls goalkeeper Ben Roberts, now on the coaching staff at Charlton, said: “The report coming back on him after the game was one word – lethal! That game certainly underlined his fitness.

“Like Nathan, I worked with Jon at Yeovil and then at Charlton and he’s a really good pro. He is guaranteed to score goals. He is a real predator around the box.

“I’ve been waiting for this career to really kick off. When he came to us at Charlton it took him a couple of weeks to get up to speed.

“But he was brilliant for us. The end of the season came too soon for us.”

Albion might be keen to play down Obika’s six goals in a low-profile friendly.

But Roberts added: “There are good players involved. It was by no means a Mickey Mouse game.

“He is a great signing for Brighton and he will suit the way they play.”

Albion head coach Oscar Garcia stressed Obika has been signed to work alongside Barnes, who has already attracted a bid of about £750,000 this month from Burnley, and Leo Ulloa.

Oscar said: "Our target was to bring an extra striker into the squad, alongside Leo and Ash, and as cover for Craig and Will as they continue their respective comebacks from their injuries.

“Jonathan is someone we have been aware of for some time – because Nathan has worked closely with him in the past at Yeovil and Charlton.

“It is known that we tried to bring him earlier in the season, but were not able to due to an injury, so we are pleased to have him here now.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:44am Thu 9 Jan 14

saraman says...

That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum.
That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum. saraman
  • Score: 2

5:50am Thu 9 Jan 14

WestStander17 says...

Obika sounds promising.

Hope what Oscar says is right about him joining Leo AND Ash in the squad although I have my doubts. What reports were there about Barnes late last night? Have Burnley come back in for him?

When CMS is mentioned I realise how much fun it will be when he returns! I think he is going to enjoy playing in Oscar's slightly quicker style. I'm expecting a welcome back similar to Bridcutt's if not bigger!
Obika sounds promising. Hope what Oscar says is right about him joining Leo AND Ash in the squad although I have my doubts. What reports were there about Barnes late last night? Have Burnley come back in for him? When CMS is mentioned I realise how much fun it will be when he returns! I think he is going to enjoy playing in Oscar's slightly quicker style. I'm expecting a welcome back similar to Bridcutt's if not bigger! WestStander17
  • Score: 6

5:52am Thu 9 Jan 14

WestStander17 says...

saraman wrote:
That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum.
Obika starting would almost certainly mean Ulloa isn't playing so lets hope not!
[quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum.[/p][/quote]Obika starting would almost certainly mean Ulloa isn't playing so lets hope not! WestStander17
  • Score: 0

7:05am Thu 9 Jan 14

Hector66 says...

barnes isn't good enough, very surprised burnley want him, he should have scored many more given the chances which have been presented his way and has a poor first touch.
barnes isn't good enough, very surprised burnley want him, he should have scored many more given the chances which have been presented his way and has a poor first touch. Hector66
  • Score: -9

7:07am Thu 9 Jan 14

Hector66 says...

that isn't to say he's not a thorough pro with a terrific work rate, he is, just isn't what we need to take us to - and keep us in - the premier league. surprised burnley think he's what they need.
that isn't to say he's not a thorough pro with a terrific work rate, he is, just isn't what we need to take us to - and keep us in - the premier league. surprised burnley think he's what they need. Hector66
  • Score: 1

9:18am Thu 9 Jan 14

fratsomrover says...

LETHAL !! just love it. Obika & Ulloa up front together. Let the goals start flowing and watch us climb that table.
LETHAL !! just love it. Obika & Ulloa up front together. Let the goals start flowing and watch us climb that table. fratsomrover
  • Score: 4

9:30am Thu 9 Jan 14

Baldseagull says...

Albion might be keen to play down Obika’s six goals in a low-profile friendly.

But Roberts added: “There are good players involved. It was by no means a Mickey Mouse game.

The score was 10-6, sounds very much like a Mickey Mouse game as far as defence goes.
Still, Jones has seen a lot of him and thinks he will be of benefit, so I am optimistic about his arrival.
Albion might be keen to play down Obika’s six goals in a low-profile friendly. But Roberts added: “There are good players involved. It was by no means a Mickey Mouse game. The score was 10-6, sounds very much like a Mickey Mouse game as far as defence goes. Still, Jones has seen a lot of him and thinks he will be of benefit, so I am optimistic about his arrival. Baldseagull
  • Score: 2

11:16am Thu 9 Jan 14

Claude Back says...

WestStander17 wrote:
saraman wrote:
That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum.
Obika starting would almost certainly mean Ulloa isn't playing so lets hope not!
Exactly.
Like most continental managers O.G. is obsessed with only playing one striker and won't bring Obika on unless we are losing. That sort of ridiculous logic always astounds me with footballers. If the two striker formation is good enough to get goals when behind, why not start getting goals from the beginning and then ease off as necessary????
You need really gifted attacking mid-fielders to only play one up front and not many teams have that luxury or can afford them. That's why most English teams trying to play that way look ponderously slow in their approach.
[quote][p][bold]WestStander17[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum.[/p][/quote]Obika starting would almost certainly mean Ulloa isn't playing so lets hope not![/p][/quote]Exactly. Like most continental managers O.G. is obsessed with only playing one striker and won't bring Obika on unless we are losing. That sort of ridiculous logic always astounds me with footballers. If the two striker formation is good enough to get goals when behind, why not start getting goals from the beginning and then ease off as necessary???? You need really gifted attacking mid-fielders to only play one up front and not many teams have that luxury or can afford them. That's why most English teams trying to play that way look ponderously slow in their approach. Claude Back
  • Score: 3

12:38pm Thu 9 Jan 14

tinker111 says...

DO Hope he has more game time than last Loan front man ,HOW MANY MINS ?????? not OG Choice I guess.
DO Hope he has more game time than last Loan front man ,HOW MANY MINS ?????? not OG Choice I guess. tinker111
  • Score: 2

1:56pm Thu 9 Jan 14

WestStander17 says...

Claude Back wrote:
WestStander17 wrote:
saraman wrote:
That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum.
Obika starting would almost certainly mean Ulloa isn't playing so lets hope not!
Exactly.
Like most continental managers O.G. is obsessed with only playing one striker and won't bring Obika on unless we are losing. That sort of ridiculous logic always astounds me with footballers. If the two striker formation is good enough to get goals when behind, why not start getting goals from the beginning and then ease off as necessary????
You need really gifted attacking mid-fielders to only play one up front and not many teams have that luxury or can afford them. That's why most English teams trying to play that way look ponderously slow in their approach.
Yes, your point is a decent one. It's a problem the National side are really struggling with. But, if a team is playing against you with 3 central midfielders, its easy to get overrun and therefore have very little possession. If you are losing, you have little to lose and might as well take the risk.

I think it will come good eventually. If youth teams all try to play this possession game which, let's face it, is far better to watch, youngsters will get far more touches of the ball, gradually become technically better and England will start seeing more gifted players coming through the system. It's the way forward but its a slow burner. Takes a generation to pass through to see really start to see the benefit. It's a bit like the 24-hour drinking laws, as a complete generation grow up with that in place, that's when the benefits will show.
[quote][p][bold]Claude Back[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]WestStander17[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: That's it then for Saturday. Bridcutt out and Barnes on the bench and Ince and Obika to start. We could see a hatful of goals for The Albion against Brum.[/p][/quote]Obika starting would almost certainly mean Ulloa isn't playing so lets hope not![/p][/quote]Exactly. Like most continental managers O.G. is obsessed with only playing one striker and won't bring Obika on unless we are losing. That sort of ridiculous logic always astounds me with footballers. If the two striker formation is good enough to get goals when behind, why not start getting goals from the beginning and then ease off as necessary???? You need really gifted attacking mid-fielders to only play one up front and not many teams have that luxury or can afford them. That's why most English teams trying to play that way look ponderously slow in their approach.[/p][/quote]Yes, your point is a decent one. It's a problem the National side are really struggling with. But, if a team is playing against you with 3 central midfielders, its easy to get overrun and therefore have very little possession. If you are losing, you have little to lose and might as well take the risk. I think it will come good eventually. If youth teams all try to play this possession game which, let's face it, is far better to watch, youngsters will get far more touches of the ball, gradually become technically better and England will start seeing more gifted players coming through the system. It's the way forward but its a slow burner. Takes a generation to pass through to see really start to see the benefit. It's a bit like the 24-hour drinking laws, as a complete generation grow up with that in place, that's when the benefits will show. WestStander17
  • Score: 1

3:44pm Thu 9 Jan 14

JoeBlow says...

tinker111 wrote:
DO Hope he has more game time than last Loan front man ,HOW MANY MINS ?????? not OG Choice I guess.
I expect Lita was there simply as cover. How many minutes would he have got if Ulloa and Barnes were unavailable???
[quote][p][bold]tinker111[/bold] wrote: DO Hope he has more game time than last Loan front man ,HOW MANY MINS ?????? not OG Choice I guess.[/p][/quote]I expect Lita was there simply as cover. How many minutes would he have got if Ulloa and Barnes were unavailable??? JoeBlow
  • Score: 0

7:32pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Falmer Wizard says...

Good luck to Barnes, he is not quite the player we need in the Championship but we should not get too excited about Obika, he has been loaned out to ten clubs but no one were prepared to sign him, I can understand he would like to sign for us but his form outside a recent match is hardly impressive.
Good luck to Barnes, he is not quite the player we need in the Championship but we should not get too excited about Obika, he has been loaned out to ten clubs but no one were prepared to sign him, I can understand he would like to sign for us but his form outside a recent match is hardly impressive. Falmer Wizard
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree