The ArgusLate goals earn Crawley Town a point (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Late goals earn Crawley Town a point

The Argus: Andy Drury celebrates his equaliser Andy Drury celebrates his equaliser

Late goals from Jamie Proctor and Andy Drury saw Crawley Town fight back from 2-0 down against Coventry City to earn a battling point.

Reds fell behind just before half-time when Mat Sadler headed into his own net from a corner and a second league defeat under John Gregory looked on the cards when Andy Webster made it 2-0 with nine minutes to go.

However, Crawley scored twice in the space of two minutes through substitute Proctor and Drury to salvage a draw which leaves them 14th in League One.

Reds boss John Gregory handed on-loan striker Matt Tubbs his first start for seven weeks in one of three changes from the side which crashed out of the FA Cup to Bristol Rovers in midweek.

Tubbs came in for Emile Sinclair and partnered Gary Alexander up front after he was preferred to Jamie Proctor.

The other change saw skipper Josh Simpson make his first start since the end of November in place of Sergio Torres in midfield.

Coventry were without their 33-goal strike partnership of Leon Clarke and Calum Wilson so manager Steven Pressley opted to play fit-again defender Jordan Clarke up front alongside midfielder Franck Moussa.

The Sky Blues came out of the blocks quickly and could have taken the lead after just four minutes when Cyrus Christie turned Mat Sadler inside out before drilling the ball across the face of goal but just out of the reach of Billy Daniels.

Coventry continued to dominate the game but a well-organised Crawley defence restricted them to long range efforts by Carl Baker and Clarke.

Reds’ hopes of going in level at half-time were ruined in the 41st minute, however, when the Sky Blues took the lead from a corner. Baker swung the ball over to the far post and Walsh headed into his own net under pressure from Andy Webster.

Crawley had barely had a sight of goal up until then but should have equalised almost immediately. Mike Jones whipped over a superb cross which found Alexander unmarked ten yards out but he put his header wide.

Reds came into the game more in the second half but apart from a long range effort from Tubbs were unable to create any clear opportunities until the latter stages.

Kyle McFadzean tested goalkeeper Joe Murphy for the first time with 12 minutes to go when his downward header from a Adams free kick was well saved.

Coventry looked to have made sure of the points with nine minutes to go when Reds failed to defend a corner again, Webster’s looping header at the far post dipping over Jones and into the net.

Crawley hit back with two goals in the space of four minutes. Substitute Proctor headed home at the far post and the travelling fans were sent wild when Andy Drury hooked home from close range after good work by Torres.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree