The ArgusJones: Attitude was just right (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Jones: Attitude was just right

The Argus: Nathan Jones with Micky Adams before the match (photo Simon Dack) Nathan Jones with Micky Adams before the match (photo Simon Dack)

Nathan Jones said Albion’s attitude was spot-on at Port Vale today.

Seagulls battled to a 3-1 win in testing conditions at the League One ground.

Jones felt the pitch held up well after taking a pre-match soaking.

And he was delighted with how the Seagulls responded.

Albion’s assistant head coach said: “It was a difficult cup tie – a good cup tie in fact – and I think we are very pleased with the attitude, very pleased with the performance and, more than anything, very pleased with the result.”

Albion went with a relatively young side today.

Jones added: “We believe in the players we have. They are in the squad for a reason.”

Albion will stay at the FA’s national football centre at St George’s Park before heading to East Lancs for their league game at Burnley on Tuesday.

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:07pm Sat 25 Jan 14

VegasSeagull says...

and what does Oscar think?
and what does Oscar think? VegasSeagull
  • Score: -14

6:09pm Sat 25 Jan 14

sloughseagull says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
and what does Oscar think?
Think he enjoyed it too!
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and what does Oscar think?[/p][/quote]Think he enjoyed it too! sloughseagull
  • Score: 11

6:12pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Clean Sheet says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
and what does Oscar think?
He thinks what Jones said.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and what does Oscar think?[/p][/quote]He thinks what Jones said. Clean Sheet
  • Score: 15

6:13pm Sat 25 Jan 14

ringtone says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
and what does Oscar think?
He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string.

Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all.

In Garcia we parcia
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and what does Oscar think?[/p][/quote]He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string. Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all. In Garcia we parcia ringtone
  • Score: -22

6:15pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Neville says...

Getting fed up hearing from NJ all the time,OG must be a PR nightmare.
Getting fed up hearing from NJ all the time,OG must be a PR nightmare. Neville
  • Score: -22

6:22pm Sat 25 Jan 14

oksouthstander says...

Good positive result today and prove with-out doubt that we have the best coaching staff in the Championship and taking each game at a time. Burnley next and we will play to win with the squad we have at the FA’s national football centre at St George’s Park... Oscar we trust,win next game is a must...
Good positive result today and prove with-out doubt that we have the best coaching staff in the Championship and taking each game at a time. Burnley next and we will play to win with the squad we have at the FA’s national football centre at St George’s Park... Oscar we trust,win next game is a must... oksouthstander
  • Score: 16

6:22pm Sat 25 Jan 14

PressBoxTeaBoy says...

Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down.

Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.
Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down. Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years. PressBoxTeaBoy
  • Score: -22

6:23pm Sat 25 Jan 14

WiseOldSeagull says...

Who cares what OG thinks as long as he's doing a good job. You ain't gonna get much more than a load of deflected questions and no comments on individual performances. He's focused on doing what he does best and is doing a good job of it.
Who cares what OG thinks as long as he's doing a good job. You ain't gonna get much more than a load of deflected questions and no comments on individual performances. He's focused on doing what he does best and is doing a good job of it. WiseOldSeagull
  • Score: 47

6:27pm Sat 25 Jan 14

impose our game gull says...

Given ALL the circumstances Oscar is doing an absolutely brilliant job!! Really lucky to have him and it's great he's not a loud mouthed egotistical big I am type like many out there or full of endless excuses about poor decisions, unfair this and that etc etc - the only thing he lacks is the pre match team huddle and at the moment decent support from the scouts/ buying team

We took the game to them from the of today and sustained it the majority of the match which we so rarely do against supposedly lesser teams

UTA
Given ALL the circumstances Oscar is doing an absolutely brilliant job!! Really lucky to have him and it's great he's not a loud mouthed egotistical big I am type like many out there or full of endless excuses about poor decisions, unfair this and that etc etc - the only thing he lacks is the pre match team huddle and at the moment decent support from the scouts/ buying team We took the game to them from the of today and sustained it the majority of the match which we so rarely do against supposedly lesser teams UTA impose our game gull
  • Score: 37

6:46pm Sat 25 Jan 14

OldGull says...

PressBoxTeaBoy wrote:
Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down.

Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.
Our 5 year plan started at the bottom of league one,
We are just outside the championship play offs
We have several DS lads now playing in the 1st team
3 players scored their 1st goal today
Seems we are on track and working within FFP
[quote][p][bold]PressBoxTeaBoy[/bold] wrote: Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down. Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.[/p][/quote]Our 5 year plan started at the bottom of league one, We are just outside the championship play offs We have several DS lads now playing in the 1st team 3 players scored their 1st goal today Seems we are on track and working within FFP OldGull
  • Score: 42

6:48pm Sat 25 Jan 14

OldGull says...

ringtone wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
and what does Oscar think?
He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string.

Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all.

In Garcia we parcia
And you are a Ring on the end of a Tone
[quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and what does Oscar think?[/p][/quote]He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string. Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all. In Garcia we parcia[/p][/quote]And you are a Ring on the end of a Tone OldGull
  • Score: 0

7:14pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Chi Gull says...

I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples!
I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples! Chi Gull
  • Score: 22

7:17pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Joel'sGrandad says...

Don't understand the negativity out there.
We're just outside the play off positions and into the 5th round of the FA Cup after a horrendous number of injuries. We've players on the way back to bolster the squad and the possibility of signing some new players.
I don't care if Oscar says little, he's doing a fantastic job and deserves our support. UTA
Don't understand the negativity out there. We're just outside the play off positions and into the 5th round of the FA Cup after a horrendous number of injuries. We've players on the way back to bolster the squad and the possibility of signing some new players. I don't care if Oscar says little, he's doing a fantastic job and deserves our support. UTA Joel'sGrandad
  • Score: 34

7:23pm Sat 25 Jan 14

PressBoxTeaBoy says...

OldGull wrote:
PressBoxTeaBoy wrote:
Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down.

Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.
Our 5 year plan started at the bottom of league one,
We are just outside the championship play offs
We have several DS lads now playing in the 1st team
3 players scored their 1st goal today
Seems we are on track and working within FFP
Yes but stay real, it was against Port Vale FFS, thats hardly evidence that this little flourish with young players today is a sign of looming Premier Lge footie.
[quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PressBoxTeaBoy[/bold] wrote: Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down. Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.[/p][/quote]Our 5 year plan started at the bottom of league one, We are just outside the championship play offs We have several DS lads now playing in the 1st team 3 players scored their 1st goal today Seems we are on track and working within FFP[/p][/quote]Yes but stay real, it was against Port Vale FFS, thats hardly evidence that this little flourish with young players today is a sign of looming Premier Lge footie. PressBoxTeaBoy
  • Score: -22

7:44pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Falmer Wizard says...

Chi Gull wrote:
I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples!
Could not agree more,should have thought it was obvious,leave Oscar to concentrate on the team
[quote][p][bold]Chi Gull[/bold] wrote: I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples![/p][/quote]Could not agree more,should have thought it was obvious,leave Oscar to concentrate on the team Falmer Wizard
  • Score: 6

7:45pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Hovite says...

Chi Gull wrote:
I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples!
I think Oscar should do a tap dance and read a poem for us after every game.
[quote][p][bold]Chi Gull[/bold] wrote: I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples![/p][/quote]I think Oscar should do a tap dance and read a poem for us after every game. Hovite
  • Score: 8

7:49pm Sat 25 Jan 14

fratsomrover says...

We were expected to win and we did. A good days work with some good first team experience for some of the youngsters who can obviously hold their own.
First goals too for Ince, March & Obika has to add to their confidence and it is nice to go on to Burnley on a winning note when we can expect some of our unused players today to start the game fresh.
We get £90K for winning today and who knows, we might even get a plum draw in Round 5.
Wouldn't a home tie v Sunderland be something special ?
Not many teams outside of the Prem left in, so unless we draw Charlton or Shef Wed, we'd probably be the underdogs v anyone else.
All in all a good day all round. Well done the lads !!
We were expected to win and we did. A good days work with some good first team experience for some of the youngsters who can obviously hold their own. First goals too for Ince, March & Obika has to add to their confidence and it is nice to go on to Burnley on a winning note when we can expect some of our unused players today to start the game fresh. We get £90K for winning today and who knows, we might even get a plum draw in Round 5. Wouldn't a home tie v Sunderland be something special ? Not many teams outside of the Prem left in, so unless we draw Charlton or Shef Wed, we'd probably be the underdogs v anyone else. All in all a good day all round. Well done the lads !! fratsomrover
  • Score: 8

7:52pm Sat 25 Jan 14

matski_98 says...

PressBoxTeaBoy wrote:
Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down.

Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.
They probably turn us down because we are only offering players 1 year contracts at the moment.
[quote][p][bold]PressBoxTeaBoy[/bold] wrote: Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down. Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.[/p][/quote]They probably turn us down because we are only offering players 1 year contracts at the moment. matski_98
  • Score: 8

7:52pm Sat 25 Jan 14

rolivan says...

ringtone wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
and what does Oscar think?
He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string.

Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all.

In Garcia we parcia
Have a look in the Mirror and ask Him
[quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and what does Oscar think?[/p][/quote]He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string. Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all. In Garcia we parcia[/p][/quote]Have a look in the Mirror and ask Him rolivan
  • Score: 1

7:58pm Sat 25 Jan 14

albionfan33 says...

very good piece in the times today with our oscar http://www.thetimes.
co.uk/tto/sport/foot
ball/article3985778.
ece
very good piece in the times today with our oscar http://www.thetimes. co.uk/tto/sport/foot ball/article3985778. ece albionfan33
  • Score: 8

8:43pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Major Bloodboil says...

Make no mistake this was a very good result indeed today. How many times have we been rolled over by teams from lower divisions? Even this season Newport put one over on us, and having regard to the fact that this was a Micky Adams team that we were up against, we could easily have lost the game.

Well done lads.

On another tack, I know that we were not playing a Championship team but I have a feeling that we really don't need to strengthen the squad this January even if we lose Bridcutt and even Buckley. We have some good players from the Development Squad who look like they can step up and fill the gaps left by the departing players.
Make no mistake this was a very good result indeed today. How many times have we been rolled over by teams from lower divisions? Even this season Newport put one over on us, and having regard to the fact that this was a Micky Adams team that we were up against, we could easily have lost the game. Well done lads. On another tack, I know that we were not playing a Championship team but I have a feeling that we really don't need to strengthen the squad this January even if we lose Bridcutt and even Buckley. We have some good players from the Development Squad who look like they can step up and fill the gaps left by the departing players. Major Bloodboil
  • Score: 11

9:16pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Ideally, I'd prefer to hear from the man at the top of the playing food chain and have said so in the past. But, if NJ is reflecting a united opinion, then I suppose it doesn't really matter.
I'd sooner we win games than have a talkative coach and today we won.
A time to be content with our lot, i think..
Ideally, I'd prefer to hear from the man at the top of the playing food chain and have said so in the past. But, if NJ is reflecting a united opinion, then I suppose it doesn't really matter. I'd sooner we win games than have a talkative coach and today we won. A time to be content with our lot, i think.. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 4

9:25pm Sat 25 Jan 14

VegasSeagull says...

Hovite wrote:
Chi Gull wrote:
I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples!
I think Oscar should do a tap dance and read a poem for us after every game.
now your talking, get a bit of the old slap stick going, not keen on poerty

On a more serious note. Jones can get around any question posed re transfers, he simply defers to Oscar, and of course Oscar is not the one talking to the press, and that just might be a good thing.
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Chi Gull[/bold] wrote: I am fed up with people posting about Nathan speaking rather than Oscar. They are a team and Nathan can handle the press better than Oscar because his english is so much better. Simples![/p][/quote]I think Oscar should do a tap dance and read a poem for us after every game.[/p][/quote]now your talking, get a bit of the old slap stick going, not keen on poerty On a more serious note. Jones can get around any question posed re transfers, he simply defers to Oscar, and of course Oscar is not the one talking to the press, and that just might be a good thing. VegasSeagull
  • Score: -4

10:38pm Sat 25 Jan 14

OldGull says...

PressBoxTeaBoy wrote:
OldGull wrote:
PressBoxTeaBoy wrote:
Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down.

Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.
Our 5 year plan started at the bottom of league one,
We are just outside the championship play offs
We have several DS lads now playing in the 1st team
3 players scored their 1st goal today
Seems we are on track and working within FFP
Yes but stay real, it was against Port Vale FFS, thats hardly evidence that this little flourish with young players today is a sign of looming Premier Lge footie.
we still have 2 years of the 5 year plan, I am not saying we will get promoted this year, but I see no reason why we cannot achieve our goal in the next 2 years
[quote][p][bold]PressBoxTeaBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PressBoxTeaBoy[/bold] wrote: Im also fed up with hearing from Jones, would like to hear from Tony Bloom regarding the transfer policy and why we keep chasing low quality targets that turn us down. Our 5 year plan appears to be starting from scratch after 3 years.[/p][/quote]Our 5 year plan started at the bottom of league one, We are just outside the championship play offs We have several DS lads now playing in the 1st team 3 players scored their 1st goal today Seems we are on track and working within FFP[/p][/quote]Yes but stay real, it was against Port Vale FFS, thats hardly evidence that this little flourish with young players today is a sign of looming Premier Lge footie.[/p][/quote]we still have 2 years of the 5 year plan, I am not saying we will get promoted this year, but I see no reason why we cannot achieve our goal in the next 2 years OldGull
  • Score: 0

11:11pm Sat 25 Jan 14

albion64 says...

OldGull wrote:
ringtone wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
and what does Oscar think?
He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string.

Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all.

In Garcia we parcia
And you are a Ring on the end of a Tone
and a Palarce fan of course
[quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and what does Oscar think?[/p][/quote]He aint paid to think. he is a puppet on a shoe string. Dunk played a blinder today, deffo our best ball playing centre back, that aint hard, i wonder what freeloaders makes of it all. In Garcia we parcia[/p][/quote]And you are a Ring on the end of a Tone[/p][/quote]and a Palarce fan of course albion64
  • Score: -1

12:30am Sun 26 Jan 14

tug509 says...

WiseOldSeagull wrote:
Who cares what OG thinks as long as he's doing a good job. You ain't gonna get much more than a load of deflected questions and no comments on individual performances. He's focused on doing what he does best and is doing a good job of it.
It`s sad that you believe that .
[quote][p][bold]WiseOldSeagull[/bold] wrote: Who cares what OG thinks as long as he's doing a good job. You ain't gonna get much more than a load of deflected questions and no comments on individual performances. He's focused on doing what he does best and is doing a good job of it.[/p][/quote]It`s sad that you believe that . tug509
  • Score: -7

12:34am Sun 26 Jan 14

Vince says...

Major Bloodboil wrote:
Make no mistake this was a very good result indeed today. How many times have we been rolled over by teams from lower divisions? Even this season Newport put one over on us, and having regard to the fact that this was a Micky Adams team that we were up against, we could easily have lost the game. Well done lads. On another tack, I know that we were not playing a Championship team but I have a feeling that we really don't need to strengthen the squad this January even if we lose Bridcutt and even Buckley. We have some good players from the Development Squad who look like they can step up and fill the gaps left by the departing players.
I agree - with the exception of Will Buckley. If we were to play a top club in the next round (or did the unthinkable by reaching the semis and playing at Wembley) - Will is the one player who could give Premiership defenders a roasting on the right wing. I think it is essential we keep him if we want to succeed in the Premiership. Solly is good - but he has a lot to learn.
[quote][p][bold]Major Bloodboil[/bold] wrote: Make no mistake this was a very good result indeed today. How many times have we been rolled over by teams from lower divisions? Even this season Newport put one over on us, and having regard to the fact that this was a Micky Adams team that we were up against, we could easily have lost the game. Well done lads. On another tack, I know that we were not playing a Championship team but I have a feeling that we really don't need to strengthen the squad this January even if we lose Bridcutt and even Buckley. We have some good players from the Development Squad who look like they can step up and fill the gaps left by the departing players.[/p][/quote]I agree - with the exception of Will Buckley. If we were to play a top club in the next round (or did the unthinkable by reaching the semis and playing at Wembley) - Will is the one player who could give Premiership defenders a roasting on the right wing. I think it is essential we keep him if we want to succeed in the Premiership. Solly is good - but he has a lot to learn. Vince
  • Score: 1

12:48am Sun 26 Jan 14

Vince says...

I personally think we should avoid rushing into a January purchase - unless someone like Matty Fryatt or Becchio becomes available.

We certainly don't want to be giving Will Buckley to Palace - and then watch him do a Glenn Murray on us. Remember, without Murray last season Palace would have got nowhere near the Premiership and it would have most likely been us instead. They are doing very nicely having snapped up players like Puncheon for a song - someone I have always rated from the time he was playing for Stockport. Why couldn't our management have seen his quality and bought him earlier (Like Ricky Lambert at Bristol Rovers who was snapped up by the Saints for a bargain price)?

It seems we go out of our way to help our biggest foes these days (we used to be a feeder club for Norwich.............
.............

We don't want to be a feeder club to Palace as well!!!
I personally think we should avoid rushing into a January purchase - unless someone like Matty Fryatt or Becchio becomes available. We certainly don't want to be giving Will Buckley to Palace - and then watch him do a Glenn Murray on us. Remember, without Murray last season Palace would have got nowhere near the Premiership and it would have most likely been us instead. They are doing very nicely having snapped up players like Puncheon for a song - someone I have always rated from the time he was playing for Stockport. Why couldn't our management have seen his quality and bought him earlier (Like Ricky Lambert at Bristol Rovers who was snapped up by the Saints for a bargain price)? It seems we go out of our way to help our biggest foes these days (we used to be a feeder club for Norwich............. ............. We don't want to be a feeder club to Palace as well!!! Vince
  • Score: 2

2:12am Sun 26 Jan 14

mark by the sea says...

Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week!
Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week! mark by the sea
  • Score: -4

4:23am Sun 26 Jan 14

Merdalf the Wizard says...

I wonder if Southampton would like to hear from their manager, granted they see his lips move but all they hear is the translator.
Maybe we should go down those lines, I daresay Oscar could chat for hours in Spanish. UTA
I wonder if Southampton would like to hear from their manager, granted they see his lips move but all they hear is the translator. Maybe we should go down those lines, I daresay Oscar could chat for hours in Spanish. UTA Merdalf the Wizard
  • Score: 0

8:49am Sun 26 Jan 14

Far gull says...

mark by the sea wrote:
Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week!
Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now.
Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this !
I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded!
Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's.
Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far.
[quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week![/p][/quote]Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now. Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this ! I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded! Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's. Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far. Far gull
  • Score: 0

10:05am Sun 26 Jan 14

OldGull says...

Far gull wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week!
Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now.
Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this !
I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded!
Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's.
Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far.
Of yesterdays starting 11
Chicksen, Agustien & Obika were not Gus's
JFC, Solly & Ince have been brought into the team by OG
Dunk & Brez are back up players
So it's only Orlandi, Upson & Calde who were GP regulars
[quote][p][bold]Far gull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week![/p][/quote]Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now. Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this ! I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded! Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's. Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far.[/p][/quote]Of yesterdays starting 11 Chicksen, Agustien & Obika were not Gus's JFC, Solly & Ince have been brought into the team by OG Dunk & Brez are back up players So it's only Orlandi, Upson & Calde who were GP regulars OldGull
  • Score: 3

11:41am Sun 26 Jan 14

searich1983 says...

Vince wrote:
I personally think we should avoid rushing into a January purchase - unless someone like Matty Fryatt or Becchio becomes available.

We certainly don't want to be giving Will Buckley to Palace - and then watch him do a Glenn Murray on us. Remember, without Murray last season Palace would have got nowhere near the Premiership and it would have most likely been us instead. They are doing very nicely having snapped up players like Puncheon for a song - someone I have always rated from the time he was playing for Stockport. Why couldn't our management have seen his quality and bought him earlier (Like Ricky Lambert at Bristol Rovers who was snapped up by the Saints for a bargain price)?

It seems we go out of our way to help our biggest foes these days (we used to be a feeder club for Norwich.............

.............

We don't want to be a feeder club to Palace as well!!!
Agree Vince, I can believe we let Murray go to Palace, a good friend of Glenn said long time ago that Gus wanted him to stay but as we all know we don't pay enough wages to keep our best players, or even convince Grabban to choose us ahead of Bournemouth, so no Buckley to Palace please!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Vince[/bold] wrote: I personally think we should avoid rushing into a January purchase - unless someone like Matty Fryatt or Becchio becomes available. We certainly don't want to be giving Will Buckley to Palace - and then watch him do a Glenn Murray on us. Remember, without Murray last season Palace would have got nowhere near the Premiership and it would have most likely been us instead. They are doing very nicely having snapped up players like Puncheon for a song - someone I have always rated from the time he was playing for Stockport. Why couldn't our management have seen his quality and bought him earlier (Like Ricky Lambert at Bristol Rovers who was snapped up by the Saints for a bargain price)? It seems we go out of our way to help our biggest foes these days (we used to be a feeder club for Norwich............. ............. We don't want to be a feeder club to Palace as well!!![/p][/quote]Agree Vince, I can believe we let Murray go to Palace, a good friend of Glenn said long time ago that Gus wanted him to stay but as we all know we don't pay enough wages to keep our best players, or even convince Grabban to choose us ahead of Bournemouth, so no Buckley to Palace please!!!!! searich1983
  • Score: 1

11:43am Sun 26 Jan 14

searich1983 says...

OldGull wrote:
Far gull wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week!
Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now.
Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this !
I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded!
Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's.
Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far.
Of yesterdays starting 11
Chicksen, Agustien & Obika were not Gus's
JFC, Solly & Ince have been brought into the team by OG
Dunk & Brez are back up players
So it's only Orlandi, Upson & Calde who were GP regulars
Yes but we played Port Vale remember, with that team you go down to League 1 for sure
[quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Far gull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week![/p][/quote]Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now. Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this ! I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded! Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's. Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far.[/p][/quote]Of yesterdays starting 11 Chicksen, Agustien & Obika were not Gus's JFC, Solly & Ince have been brought into the team by OG Dunk & Brez are back up players So it's only Orlandi, Upson & Calde who were GP regulars[/p][/quote]Yes but we played Port Vale remember, with that team you go down to League 1 for sure searich1983
  • Score: -2

12:28pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

mark by the sea wrote:
Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week!
Has his wage been made public knowledge?
[quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week![/p][/quote]Has his wage been made public knowledge? Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 3

7:17pm Sun 26 Jan 14

OldGull says...

searich1983 wrote:
OldGull wrote:
Far gull wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week!
Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now.
Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this !
I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded!
Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's.
Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far.
Of yesterdays starting 11
Chicksen, Agustien & Obika were not Gus's
JFC, Solly & Ince have been brought into the team by OG
Dunk & Brez are back up players
So it's only Orlandi, Upson & Calde who were GP regulars
Yes but we played Port Vale remember, with that team you go down to League 1 for sure
So OG gets criticised for beating a league 1 side with youngsters.

And No doubt we should congratulate GP for getting Sunderland to beat a Non League team at home 1-0
[quote][p][bold]searich1983[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Far gull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week![/p][/quote]Could not agree more. Surely ward not on 10 k a week..? Well no surprise then our transfer targets now. Ono another note does anyone know how our budget /spending is going on training facilities? I did wonder if this was running over hence the need for playing budget cost cutting? Just a thought but we must remember we are effectively spending £29. Million on new players in the last year and this ! I wonder if many of us have been factoring this ? I had to be reminded! Think balancing act which was always going to be tricky with , fans wanting signings and thus filling our ground . I hope the money boys have got the balance right because as you say mbts a the moment the squad is still largely Gus's. Hope cup prize money keeps coming as when Tony said cup money would be available for player spend 90k does not go far.[/p][/quote]Of yesterdays starting 11 Chicksen, Agustien & Obika were not Gus's JFC, Solly & Ince have been brought into the team by OG Dunk & Brez are back up players So it's only Orlandi, Upson & Calde who were GP regulars[/p][/quote]Yes but we played Port Vale remember, with that team you go down to League 1 for sure[/p][/quote]So OG gets criticised for beating a league 1 side with youngsters. And No doubt we should congratulate GP for getting Sunderland to beat a Non League team at home 1-0 OldGull
  • Score: 3

1:16am Mon 27 Jan 14

mark by the sea says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week!
Has his wage been made public knowledge?
Search his wolves contract.... Then speak to wolves fans, they say the club loaned him out,,as they can't afford 13k a week
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Reason we are top ten is the squad Gus left, I have yet to impressed with anyone who has come this season... Ward 10k a week![/p][/quote]Has his wage been made public knowledge?[/p][/quote]Search his wolves contract.... Then speak to wolves fans, they say the club loaned him out,,as they can't afford 13k a week mark by the sea
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree