Bruno concern as deadline day nears

The Argus: Bruno Bruno

Bruno has admitted he fears Albion could slip behind their play-off rivals if they miss targets in the transfer window.

But the right-back has vowed the squad will push on for the play-offs, even if the club draw a blank.

The Seagulls are in need of reinforcement going into the last two days of the January market.

Albion were still trying to secure Charlton midfielder Dale Stephens as The Argus went to press last night but their interest in Huddersfield’s Adam Clayton had been knocked back.

The Seagulls are four points off the top six and Bruno said: “We can still improve. We have had a lot of absentees, we have lost players.

“No reinforcements are arriving and it is hard to compete like that.

“The other teams up near the top are signing a lot of players. It is hard to compete against that sort of team. If no one comes we will be stretched to the limit but we will do what we can.

“Other teams are paying what they are paying to sign good players.

“We, for the time being, are not buying but we are selling.

“I respect the decision of the club, of course. They are the people who have to decide.

“But the team feels it when important players leave or when Crofty is injured.”

Clayton is among the possible replacements being studied for Andrew Crofts, whose season has been ended by a knee injury.

The 25-year-old Mancunian made his name at Leeds after coming through the youth ranks at Manchester City.

He can play in any of the positions in Huddersfield’s midfield triangle but is at his best at its the attacking tip.

Huddersfield have told fans not to expect departures this month, despite smashing their record fee to bring in striker star Nahki Wells from Bradford for £1.3million.

And it would take a sizeable offer for them to go back on that without losing face.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:39am Thu 30 Jan 14

albionbloke says...

Yet another player hoping for additions. No doubt they've been chatting amongst themselves about the need to add replacements for those we've lost. I subscribe to the 'build in the summer' belief but at the same time, would like to see one or two decent replacements come in...without having to fall into the blockbuster panic move. I do like the idea of Bridcutt going to Sunderland as part of a deal that sees Wickham coming our way.
Yet another player hoping for additions. No doubt they've been chatting amongst themselves about the need to add replacements for those we've lost. I subscribe to the 'build in the summer' belief but at the same time, would like to see one or two decent replacements come in...without having to fall into the blockbuster panic move. I do like the idea of Bridcutt going to Sunderland as part of a deal that sees Wickham coming our way. albionbloke

5:43am Thu 30 Jan 14

albionbloke says...

Have to admit that I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that we haven't seen Conroy come back this month. When he left everything seemed so gung-ho for his return (at least amongst us) as he was in great form. Have to wonder what went wrong. Then again, maybe we'll get a last minute surprise and he signs.
Have to admit that I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that we haven't seen Conroy come back this month. When he left everything seemed so gung-ho for his return (at least amongst us) as he was in great form. Have to wonder what went wrong. Then again, maybe we'll get a last minute surprise and he signs. albionbloke

6:48am Thu 30 Jan 14

Albion fan in London says...

Bridcutt sale is holding up is being able to spend to get the quality in we want. It was never going to be straight forward this window
Bridcutt sale is holding up is being able to spend to get the quality in we want. It was never going to be straight forward this window Albion fan in London

7:03am Thu 30 Jan 14

Alfie T says...

I read somewhere that Stephens wanted a move back north, home sick apparently, perhaps he's over that now. I don't have a problem with our players voicing their concerns over transfers, clearly they want that play off spot,and one or two quality additions are needed.

Everything appears to hinge on the Bridcutt,Buckley sale,a bit of Russian roulette going on here,could be an interesting last two days.
I read somewhere that Stephens wanted a move back north, home sick apparently, perhaps he's over that now. I don't have a problem with our players voicing their concerns over transfers, clearly they want that play off spot,and one or two quality additions are needed. Everything appears to hinge on the Bridcutt,Buckley sale,a bit of Russian roulette going on here,could be an interesting last two days. Alfie T

7:23am Thu 30 Jan 14

ColinPep1 says...

Clayton would be an excellent signing
Clayton would be an excellent signing ColinPep1

7:39am Thu 30 Jan 14

russellsnr2 says...

Think maybe it's a game of poker between us and Sunderland and someone will fold on the last hand. Don't think it will be us!!!!!
Think maybe it's a game of poker between us and Sunderland and someone will fold on the last hand. Don't think it will be us!!!!! russellsnr2

7:41am Thu 30 Jan 14

seegull fly in sky says...

Sine a plyers a keck a bawl a um gole. A wun e gam a keck bawl um gole. Brungo noa got na hare e bawldy heed
Sine a plyers a keck a bawl a um gole. A wun e gam a keck bawl um gole. Brungo noa got na hare e bawldy heed seegull fly in sky

7:47am Thu 30 Jan 14

bbb1969 says...

Augustien must be p....ed off. He signed and was unfit but he has looked comfortable on the ball, he has good feet and can shoot.
He needs to release the ball earlier sometimes but if he has 2 wider players to the side of him and 2 strikers in front the offensively we are sound.
Would mean Ince has to stay put most of the time cos we have no box to box mf although we have a box to box striker and this is another reason we need the 2nd striker.

Team for Sunday
Kuz
Bruno Upson Dunk Ward
Ince
Lua lua Aigustien Orlandi
Ulloa Obika

I have only Lua lua as a true Winger with Orlandi sitting slightly more central to support Augustien and Ward who likes to get forward and can cross a ball.
Subs Brez Lopez March Jfc Chicksen Greer

Only position would change is Greer for Dunk however the last vouple of games Greer has been a little off the pace and

Upson had to cover a bit. Dunk tends to drive forwatd more imo.
Augustien must be p....ed off. He signed and was unfit but he has looked comfortable on the ball, he has good feet and can shoot. He needs to release the ball earlier sometimes but if he has 2 wider players to the side of him and 2 strikers in front the offensively we are sound. Would mean Ince has to stay put most of the time cos we have no box to box mf although we have a box to box striker and this is another reason we need the 2nd striker. Team for Sunday Kuz Bruno Upson Dunk Ward Ince Lua lua Aigustien Orlandi Ulloa Obika I have only Lua lua as a true Winger with Orlandi sitting slightly more central to support Augustien and Ward who likes to get forward and can cross a ball. Subs Brez Lopez March Jfc Chicksen Greer Only position would change is Greer for Dunk however the last vouple of games Greer has been a little off the pace and Upson had to cover a bit. Dunk tends to drive forwatd more imo. bbb1969

7:49am Thu 30 Jan 14

B rian Tawses left foot says...

Stop stirring it argus - the reason these players keep giving their opinions is because you keep asking for them. The player's opinions are utterly irrelevant -as indeed are the fan's. Any deal - or indeed no deal - will be decided by the coaching and financial staff - and ultimately the chairman of course. Naylor obviously fancies himself as a power behind the throne..
Stop stirring it argus - the reason these players keep giving their opinions is because you keep asking for them. The player's opinions are utterly irrelevant -as indeed are the fan's. Any deal - or indeed no deal - will be decided by the coaching and financial staff - and ultimately the chairman of course. Naylor obviously fancies himself as a power behind the throne.. B rian Tawses left foot

8:13am Thu 30 Jan 14

WestStander17 says...

I know a lot has been said about the set-up at the club with Oscar coaching the first team and Mr Burke seemingly signing the players. It's not the set-up we are used to in England but it works around the world so I don't think its a disastrous plan. However, surely Oscar should have at least a voice in identifying players he feels would fit into his coaching ideas. This doesn't seem to be the case at all. Is that what happens abroad? Do the Head Coaches just get given players and the first they know of them is when they arrive? I always thought the Head Coach drew up a list of players he could fit into his plans and the Director of Football or whoever did deals with players off the list. Unless Oscar watches hours and hours of video of British teams/players, there is no way Ward, Andrews, Obika, Conway, Stephens, Grabban, Mason, Clayton or even Wickham would be on Oscar's list. Not because they aren't any good but because he wouldn't know of them.

Anyway, it seems like we have a very interesting couple of days ahead. My biggest concern is buying just for buying's sake. I'd rather go with what we have than buy players that don't improve our team.
I know a lot has been said about the set-up at the club with Oscar coaching the first team and Mr Burke seemingly signing the players. It's not the set-up we are used to in England but it works around the world so I don't think its a disastrous plan. However, surely Oscar should have at least a voice in identifying players he feels would fit into his coaching ideas. This doesn't seem to be the case at all. Is that what happens abroad? Do the Head Coaches just get given players and the first they know of them is when they arrive? I always thought the Head Coach drew up a list of players he could fit into his plans and the Director of Football or whoever did deals with players off the list. Unless Oscar watches hours and hours of video of British teams/players, there is no way Ward, Andrews, Obika, Conway, Stephens, Grabban, Mason, Clayton or even Wickham would be on Oscar's list. Not because they aren't any good but because he wouldn't know of them. Anyway, it seems like we have a very interesting couple of days ahead. My biggest concern is buying just for buying's sake. I'd rather go with what we have than buy players that don't improve our team. WestStander17

8:39am Thu 30 Jan 14

pablobrowno says...

Don't know if others agree but it feels like the Jan transfer window is becoming like an ebay auction...people spend the entire period just "watching" and perhaps enquiring but everybody holds their bids until the last minute so not to be trumped! Therefore I think we can only realistically expect moves to happen perhaps tonight and tomorrow. Can't help thinking the whole thing I ridiculous.

On another note does anyone else access this site from their ipad mostly? If so do you find you have to log in virtually every time you want to comment. Something changed last year, before that it would keep you logged in unless you didn't comment for quite a few weeks.....
Don't know if others agree but it feels like the Jan transfer window is becoming like an ebay auction...people spend the entire period just "watching" and perhaps enquiring but everybody holds their bids until the last minute so not to be trumped! Therefore I think we can only realistically expect moves to happen perhaps tonight and tomorrow. Can't help thinking the whole thing I ridiculous. On another note does anyone else access this site from their ipad mostly? If so do you find you have to log in virtually every time you want to comment. Something changed last year, before that it would keep you logged in unless you didn't comment for quite a few weeks..... pablobrowno

8:43am Thu 30 Jan 14

Albion In Staffs says...

It's not Bruno's place to be concerned - at least not in public.
Secondly, it would have been just as easy for The Argus to have turned the Kuzcak story into a positive by headlining his uplifting views on CMS and Hoskins, but there seems to be an agenda to intensify scrutiny on current transfer activity.
It's not Bruno's place to be concerned - at least not in public. Secondly, it would have been just as easy for The Argus to have turned the Kuzcak story into a positive by headlining his uplifting views on CMS and Hoskins, but there seems to be an agenda to intensify scrutiny on current transfer activity. Albion In Staffs

8:44am Thu 30 Jan 14

falmer seagull says...

One has to remember that the reason our players originally signed for us, was that they were sold the ambition of the club. It is obvious that the lack of action in the transfer market is having a negative effect on fans and players alike. Will Tomas want to resign for example, if he considers the club no longer has the deire to get to the premier league?
One has to remember that the reason our players originally signed for us, was that they were sold the ambition of the club. It is obvious that the lack of action in the transfer market is having a negative effect on fans and players alike. Will Tomas want to resign for example, if he considers the club no longer has the deire to get to the premier league? falmer seagull

8:46am Thu 30 Jan 14

Albion In Staffs says...

pablobrowno wrote:
Don't know if others agree but it feels like the Jan transfer window is becoming like an ebay auction...people spend the entire period just "watching" and perhaps enquiring but everybody holds their bids until the last minute so not to be trumped! Therefore I think we can only realistically expect moves to happen perhaps tonight and tomorrow. Can't help thinking the whole thing I ridiculous.

On another note does anyone else access this site from their ipad mostly? If so do you find you have to log in virtually every time you want to comment. Something changed last year, before that it would keep you logged in unless you didn't comment for quite a few weeks.....
Personally, I'll be glad when January is over, irrespective of what business is done, because the basic principle of concentrating on football matches is completely overshadowed. Oh and the fact, I'll be able to drink again.....
[quote][p][bold]pablobrowno[/bold] wrote: Don't know if others agree but it feels like the Jan transfer window is becoming like an ebay auction...people spend the entire period just "watching" and perhaps enquiring but everybody holds their bids until the last minute so not to be trumped! Therefore I think we can only realistically expect moves to happen perhaps tonight and tomorrow. Can't help thinking the whole thing I ridiculous. On another note does anyone else access this site from their ipad mostly? If so do you find you have to log in virtually every time you want to comment. Something changed last year, before that it would keep you logged in unless you didn't comment for quite a few weeks.....[/p][/quote]Personally, I'll be glad when January is over, irrespective of what business is done, because the basic principle of concentrating on football matches is completely overshadowed. Oh and the fact, I'll be able to drink again..... Albion In Staffs

8:49am Thu 30 Jan 14

Tonyuk175 says...

Can anyone say that they thought Bridcutt would still be here at this point! Liverpool kept suarez and now look at them? Lets hope LB gives some commitment to us and recalls his request...UTA

CMS, Will could be the players we need well conway would be nice and perhaps Vicente!!!
Can anyone say that they thought Bridcutt would still be here at this point! Liverpool kept suarez and now look at them? Lets hope LB gives some commitment to us and recalls his request...UTA CMS, Will could be the players we need well conway would be nice and perhaps Vicente!!! Tonyuk175

8:58am Thu 30 Jan 14

heathgate says...

Its a little gloomy to be honest,...... I cant help feeling that we are suffering from the bad press over the Poyet issues this season,...... I cannot believe teams like Huddersfield, Millwall and Bournemouth would offer a better overall package..... it must be the lingering smell of Gus and his live TV lies.
Its a little gloomy to be honest,...... I cant help feeling that we are suffering from the bad press over the Poyet issues this season,...... I cannot believe teams like Huddersfield, Millwall and Bournemouth would offer a better overall package..... it must be the lingering smell of Gus and his live TV lies. heathgate

8:59am Thu 30 Jan 14

Albion In Staffs says...

falmer seagull wrote:
One has to remember that the reason our players originally signed for us, was that they were sold the ambition of the club. It is obvious that the lack of action in the transfer market is having a negative effect on fans and players alike. Will Tomas want to resign for example, if he considers the club no longer has the deire to get to the premier league?
I understand your point and agree about the effect it could have, but I find it disappointing that it's all about instant success these days.
What is so wrong with focusing on a decent young squad and a commitment to improve it from the inside? When all is said and done. it's absolute madness to suggest a club doesn't have ambition simply because it doesn't 'comply' with expectation and spend millions in the January window.
Supposing, just supposing, OG has said that he's got a squad of talented players who are good enough and intelligent enough to be coached and improved? Does that mean the club is suddenly unambitious? In my view it absolutely shouldn't.
In an ideal world, and without allowing for possible departures, we probably do need a little addition, but will it be disastrous if we stick with what we have rather than signing for short term effect? My view is; no it won't.
[quote][p][bold]falmer seagull[/bold] wrote: One has to remember that the reason our players originally signed for us, was that they were sold the ambition of the club. It is obvious that the lack of action in the transfer market is having a negative effect on fans and players alike. Will Tomas want to resign for example, if he considers the club no longer has the deire to get to the premier league?[/p][/quote]I understand your point and agree about the effect it could have, but I find it disappointing that it's all about instant success these days. What is so wrong with focusing on a decent young squad and a commitment to improve it from the inside? When all is said and done. it's absolute madness to suggest a club doesn't have ambition simply because it doesn't 'comply' with expectation and spend millions in the January window. Supposing, just supposing, OG has said that he's got a squad of talented players who are good enough and intelligent enough to be coached and improved? Does that mean the club is suddenly unambitious? In my view it absolutely shouldn't. In an ideal world, and without allowing for possible departures, we probably do need a little addition, but will it be disastrous if we stick with what we have rather than signing for short term effect? My view is; no it won't. Albion In Staffs

9:16am Thu 30 Jan 14

tonypulis says...

Falmer seagull and Seegull fly in sky are right. I would be more concerned about the future of Tomas and your excellent defence. I am, after all, a master at the art of defence. Tomas is one player you cannot afford to lose. It would appear that he may doubt the clubs immediate ambition. Do not be surprised if he goes in the summer if you are treading water. He wants premiership football again and will not be prepared to wait around with Brighton (too long) to get it.
Falmer seagull and Seegull fly in sky are right. I would be more concerned about the future of Tomas and your excellent defence. I am, after all, a master at the art of defence. Tomas is one player you cannot afford to lose. It would appear that he may doubt the clubs immediate ambition. Do not be surprised if he goes in the summer if you are treading water. He wants premiership football again and will not be prepared to wait around with Brighton (too long) to get it. tonypulis

9:17am Thu 30 Jan 14

dave from bexill says...

B rian Tawses left foot wrote:
Stop stirring it argus - the reason these players keep giving their opinions is because you keep asking for them. The player's opinions are utterly irrelevant -as indeed are the fan's. Any deal - or indeed no deal - will be decided by the coaching and financial staff - and ultimately the chairman of course. Naylor obviously fancies himself as a power behind the throne..
Yes quite right. Footballers having and expressing an opinion, whatever next? And as for fans stating what they think, well, it just beggars belief.
[quote][p][bold]B rian Tawses left foot[/bold] wrote: Stop stirring it argus - the reason these players keep giving their opinions is because you keep asking for them. The player's opinions are utterly irrelevant -as indeed are the fan's. Any deal - or indeed no deal - will be decided by the coaching and financial staff - and ultimately the chairman of course. Naylor obviously fancies himself as a power behind the throne..[/p][/quote]Yes quite right. Footballers having and expressing an opinion, whatever next? And as for fans stating what they think, well, it just beggars belief. dave from bexill

9:23am Thu 30 Jan 14

daughter-of-manag says...

albionbloke wrote:
Have to admit that I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that we haven't seen Conroy come back this month. When he left everything seemed so gung-ho for his return (at least amongst us) as he was in great form. Have to wonder what went wrong. Then again, maybe we'll get a last minute surprise and he signs.
Was he related to Rob Roy? I must admit to thinking OMG every time a BHA player comment on the transfer situation. What on earth is going on behind the scenes? Anyway ... Conway back, Connor W to sign, and Buckley and the former player now known as "Not in Right Frame of Mind" hopefully shipped off to Sunderland - would be on my personal Easter bunny list.
[quote][p][bold]albionbloke[/bold] wrote: Have to admit that I'm really surprised (and disappointed) that we haven't seen Conroy come back this month. When he left everything seemed so gung-ho for his return (at least amongst us) as he was in great form. Have to wonder what went wrong. Then again, maybe we'll get a last minute surprise and he signs.[/p][/quote]Was he related to Rob Roy? I must admit to thinking OMG every time a BHA player comment on the transfer situation. What on earth is going on behind the scenes? Anyway ... Conway back, Connor W to sign, and Buckley and the former player now known as "Not in Right Frame of Mind" hopefully shipped off to Sunderland - would be on my personal Easter bunny list. daughter-of-manag

9:40am Thu 30 Jan 14

B rian Tawses left foot says...

dave from bexill says...


B rian Tawses left foot wrote:
Stop stirring it argus - the reason these players keep giving their opinions is because you keep asking for them. The player's opinions are utterly irrelevant -as indeed are the fan's. Any deal - or indeed no deal - will be decided by the coaching and financial staff - and ultimately the chairman of course. Naylor obviously fancies himself as a power behind the throne..
Yes quite right. Footballers having and expressing an opinion, whatever next? And as for fans stating what they think, well, it just beggars belief.

Obviously players and fans have opinions - the fact that I am writing on here is proof that I think they should be able to express them. The argus seems to have it's own agenda however - to stir the nest a bit and show that it can help create an atmosphere that bounces the club into signing players. You only have to look at Spurs to see that splashing lots of cash around is not necessarily the way to proceed.
dave from bexill says... B rian Tawses left foot wrote: Stop stirring it argus - the reason these players keep giving their opinions is because you keep asking for them. The player's opinions are utterly irrelevant -as indeed are the fan's. Any deal - or indeed no deal - will be decided by the coaching and financial staff - and ultimately the chairman of course. Naylor obviously fancies himself as a power behind the throne.. Yes quite right. Footballers having and expressing an opinion, whatever next? And as for fans stating what they think, well, it just beggars belief. Obviously players and fans have opinions - the fact that I am writing on here is proof that I think they should be able to express them. The argus seems to have it's own agenda however - to stir the nest a bit and show that it can help create an atmosphere that bounces the club into signing players. You only have to look at Spurs to see that splashing lots of cash around is not necessarily the way to proceed. B rian Tawses left foot

9:42am Thu 30 Jan 14

Old & Grey says...

Please stick to playing football,& let the manager & money men decide what we can & cannot afford or need,It is not in your remit to run the club,or show negativity in your comments,it is your job,to play football & do your best for the club on the pitch,your thoughts are your own & should remain so,until you are the one to make the decisions.
Please stick to playing football,& let the manager & money men decide what we can & cannot afford or need,It is not in your remit to run the club,or show negativity in your comments,it is your job,to play football & do your best for the club on the pitch,your thoughts are your own & should remain so,until you are the one to make the decisions. Old & Grey

10:02am Thu 30 Jan 14

heathgate says...

Old & Grey wrote:
Please stick to playing football,& let the manager & money men decide what we can & cannot afford or need,It is not in your remit to run the club,or show negativity in your comments,it is your job,to play football & do your best for the club on the pitch,your thoughts are your own & should remain so,until you are the one to make the decisions.
Utter CRAPP...............
.
[quote][p][bold]Old & Grey[/bold] wrote: Please stick to playing football,& let the manager & money men decide what we can & cannot afford or need,It is not in your remit to run the club,or show negativity in your comments,it is your job,to play football & do your best for the club on the pitch,your thoughts are your own & should remain so,until you are the one to make the decisions.[/p][/quote]Utter CRAPP............... . heathgate

10:08am Thu 30 Jan 14

gilbertthecat says...

Why would any player, employed by the club and followed by supporters, make deliberately inflamatory comment? The thing with these player comments is that none of them are reported in context, none quote the question to which the player is responding and therefore perhaps none can be accurately assessed by us for true meaning. The Argus wants to sell paper copies and advertising on paper and internet - this must influence how the headlines are written and what they're readership numbers look like?
Why would any player, employed by the club and followed by supporters, make deliberately inflamatory comment? The thing with these player comments is that none of them are reported in context, none quote the question to which the player is responding and therefore perhaps none can be accurately assessed by us for true meaning. The Argus wants to sell paper copies and advertising on paper and internet - this must influence how the headlines are written and what they're readership numbers look like? gilbertthecat

1:37pm Thu 30 Jan 14

VegasSeagull says...

The problem I have with Bruno's comments, in or out of context, is that he knows just about as much as we know when it comes to our progress in bringing in new players, and that aint much.
I have to think that the club has made many tentative enquiries about players and have been given a complete knock back, but we won't hear about those. The only thing we know for certain is that four players were real targets, and it looks like one of them is coming in. With deals going on in all divisions it is quite possible that one or more of our tentative enquiries might now become available.
I think that there is more to come from this window as far as inbound players, the club's business is ongoing, and a chunk of money for Bridcutt will help that business progress.
The problem I have with Bruno's comments, in or out of context, is that he knows just about as much as we know when it comes to our progress in bringing in new players, and that aint much. I have to think that the club has made many tentative enquiries about players and have been given a complete knock back, but we won't hear about those. The only thing we know for certain is that four players were real targets, and it looks like one of them is coming in. With deals going on in all divisions it is quite possible that one or more of our tentative enquiries might now become available. I think that there is more to come from this window as far as inbound players, the club's business is ongoing, and a chunk of money for Bridcutt will help that business progress. VegasSeagull

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree