The ArgusBridcutt is a bargain, claims Poyet (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Bridcutt is a bargain, claims Poyet

The Argus: Liam Bridcutt claps the fans at The Amex in what turned out to be his last game for Albion against Bournemouth Liam Bridcutt claps the fans at The Amex in what turned out to be his last game for Albion against Bournemouth

Gus Poyet claims he has got the better of Albion in the Liam Bridcutt saga.

The Seagulls midfielder finally completed his long-awaited move to Sunderland today.

The fee is being reported in the North-East as £2.5 million - and Poyet believes that is well below what Bridcutt is worth.

The former Albion boss told The Sunderland Echo: "When you consider the price for him and how much we wanted him, he's British, he's young and I think it was a bargain for us."

Bridcutt, 24, is expected to make his Premier League debut in tomorrow's Tyne-Wear derby against Newcastle, with Lee Cattermole injured and on course to sign for Stoke.

Poyet said: "Liam has one advantage compared with the rest of the squad, he knows us very well, knows how we play and understands the role perfectly. The only thing that can go against him is bad form."

Bridcutt has not played since his last appearance for Albion against Bournemouth at The Amex on New Year's Day.

He had a groin injury and then told Albion's management staff he was not in the right frame of mind to feature while Sunderland's interest rumbled on.

Comments (65)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:36pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Quiterie says...

Bridcutt is an excellent Championship player. Which is just as well because that's exactly where he'll be playing next season Gus!
Bridcutt is an excellent Championship player. Which is just as well because that's exactly where he'll be playing next season Gus! Quiterie
  • Score: 7

6:42pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Alfie T says...

Well he would say that wouldn't he.
Well he would say that wouldn't he. Alfie T
  • Score: 5

6:50pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Far gull says...

Quiterie wrote:
Bridcutt is an excellent Championship player. Which is just as well because that's exactly where he'll be playing next season Gus!
hate to differ fellow Albion fan, but liam is prem quality and as much as i hate to msay this i think Gus will keep them up. ( I say that thorough gritted teeth) .There are worse teams now in prem than Sunderland.
[quote][p][bold]Quiterie[/bold] wrote: Bridcutt is an excellent Championship player. Which is just as well because that's exactly where he'll be playing next season Gus![/p][/quote]hate to differ fellow Albion fan, but liam is prem quality and as much as i hate to msay this i think Gus will keep them up. ( I say that thorough gritted teeth) .There are worse teams now in prem than Sunderland. Far gull
  • Score: 19

6:51pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Albion fan in London says...

Nice one Gus. Class is permanent right. The only thing that is cheap is his mouth.
Nice one Gus. Class is permanent right. The only thing that is cheap is his mouth. Albion fan in London
  • Score: 31

6:53pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Grendel says...

I think Liam has been poor for us this season in the few games he has played: well below par. If he can recapture his best form then they have a terrific player.
I think Liam has been poor for us this season in the few games he has played: well below par. If he can recapture his best form then they have a terrific player. Grendel
  • Score: 12

6:54pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Willie, Willie Irvine says...

He has a point, it seems. But tomorrow is another day and the world keeps on turning - and so on..! A win on Sunday will help, thank you. (As will an own-goal by Liam)
He has a point, it seems. But tomorrow is another day and the world keeps on turning - and so on..! A win on Sunday will help, thank you. (As will an own-goal by Liam) Willie, Willie Irvine
  • Score: 5

6:57pm Fri 31 Jan 14

saraman says...

Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend. saraman
  • Score: 24

6:58pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Alfie T says...

Think we need tonypulis to give us his thoughts.
Think we need tonypulis to give us his thoughts. Alfie T
  • Score: 8

7:05pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Alfie T wrote:
Well he would say that wouldn't he.
Exactly what I thought - "Mandy Rice-Davies Applies".
[quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Well he would say that wouldn't he.[/p][/quote]Exactly what I thought - "Mandy Rice-Davies Applies". Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 5

7:05pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Joel'sGrandad says...

I like Gus and will always be grateful for what he did for us. I also think Sunderland will stay up easily.
But I do wish he'd accept the Bridciutt signing graciously and not try and score cheap points. It almost makes me want him and Sunderland to get relegated and pass us on our way up.
He just can't resist opening his mouth and putting his foot in it. UTA
I like Gus and will always be grateful for what he did for us. I also think Sunderland will stay up easily. But I do wish he'd accept the Bridciutt signing graciously and not try and score cheap points. It almost makes me want him and Sunderland to get relegated and pass us on our way up. He just can't resist opening his mouth and putting his foot in it. UTA Joel'sGrandad
  • Score: 46

7:05pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Far gull wrote:
Quiterie wrote:
Bridcutt is an excellent Championship player. Which is just as well because that's exactly where he'll be playing next season Gus!
hate to differ fellow Albion fan, but liam is prem quality and as much as i hate to msay this i think Gus will keep them up. ( I say that thorough gritted teeth) .There are worse teams now in prem than Sunderland.
They should never have been at the bottom anyway. That just shows what a poor choice Di Canio was.
[quote][p][bold]Far gull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Quiterie[/bold] wrote: Bridcutt is an excellent Championship player. Which is just as well because that's exactly where he'll be playing next season Gus![/p][/quote]hate to differ fellow Albion fan, but liam is prem quality and as much as i hate to msay this i think Gus will keep them up. ( I say that thorough gritted teeth) .There are worse teams now in prem than Sunderland.[/p][/quote]They should never have been at the bottom anyway. That just shows what a poor choice Di Canio was. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 1

7:06pm Fri 31 Jan 14

raymondo999 says...

Gus was a brilliant manager for the Albion , and is now proving to be a brilliant manager for the black cats. He has also got Liam , who is clearly prem quality, at a bargain price. I wish them both well. Meantime the Albion are making some really promising signings. So we move on. Man up you moaners and groaners.
Gus was a brilliant manager for the Albion , and is now proving to be a brilliant manager for the black cats. He has also got Liam , who is clearly prem quality, at a bargain price. I wish them both well. Meantime the Albion are making some really promising signings. So we move on. Man up you moaners and groaners. raymondo999
  • Score: 9

7:06pm Fri 31 Jan 14

daughter-of-manag says...

What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself.
What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself. daughter-of-manag
  • Score: 24

7:07pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
[quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -4

7:15pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Tony the tiger eastbourne says...

Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!!
Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!! Tony the tiger eastbourne
  • Score: 11

7:21pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!!
It doesn't matter what they paid, Gus will always claim to have never overpaid for a single player ever. What he says is irrelevant, and he says a LOT!
[quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!![/p][/quote]It doesn't matter what they paid, Gus will always claim to have never overpaid for a single player ever. What he says is irrelevant, and he says a LOT! Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 19

7:24pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Carter_Cooldancer says...

Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!!
If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which.
But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree.

move on for heaven's sake.
[quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!![/p][/quote]If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which. But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree. move on for heaven's sake. Carter_Cooldancer
  • Score: 6

7:29pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Seventh Circle says...

Stating Bridcutt is British goes to show what Poyet realises is wrong with football here... too many stinking foreigners..... being an Argentinian he should pack his bags and clear off ... and do us all a favour and take his mates taricco and oatway with him
Stating Bridcutt is British goes to show what Poyet realises is wrong with football here... too many stinking foreigners..... being an Argentinian he should pack his bags and clear off ... and do us all a favour and take his mates taricco and oatway with him Seventh Circle
  • Score: -17

7:31pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Falmer Wizard says...

Good luck to Gus & Bridcutt they both deserve a chance to experience the Premiership, we can still keep a top half position in the table and hopefully score more often.
Good luck to Gus & Bridcutt they both deserve a chance to experience the Premiership, we can still keep a top half position in the table and hopefully score more often. Falmer Wizard
  • Score: -14

7:32pm Fri 31 Jan 14

mikeygit says...

Nothing like rubbing it in Gus--just leave it--you have the player you wanted now b---g--r off back to Sunderland
Nothing like rubbing it in Gus--just leave it--you have the player you wanted now b---g--r off back to Sunderland mikeygit
  • Score: 16

7:35pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Claude Back says...

Seventh Circle wrote:
Stating Bridcutt is British goes to show what Poyet realises is wrong with football here... too many stinking foreigners..... being an Argentinian he should pack his bags and clear off ... and do us all a favour and take his mates taricco and oatway with him
He's Uruguayan actually. Shows how much you know about him.
[quote][p][bold]Seventh Circle[/bold] wrote: Stating Bridcutt is British goes to show what Poyet realises is wrong with football here... too many stinking foreigners..... being an Argentinian he should pack his bags and clear off ... and do us all a favour and take his mates taricco and oatway with him[/p][/quote]He's Uruguayan actually. Shows how much you know about him. Claude Back
  • Score: 11

7:38pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!!
Sorry, but them's the facts..
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts.. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: -9

7:47pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!!
Sorry, but them's the facts..
Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion.

Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..[/p][/quote]Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.) Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 1

7:48pm Fri 31 Jan 14

daughter-of-manag says...

Carter_Cooldancer wrote:
Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!!
If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which.
But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree.

move on for heaven's sake.
For goodness sake - the poster is entitled to express an opinion!! Your opinion isn't the only one in the universe - if it annoys you - move on to the next one - shhhesh!
[quote][p][bold]Carter_Cooldancer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!![/p][/quote]If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which. But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree. move on for heaven's sake.[/p][/quote]For goodness sake - the poster is entitled to express an opinion!! Your opinion isn't the only one in the universe - if it annoys you - move on to the next one - shhhesh! daughter-of-manag
  • Score: 7

7:48pm Fri 31 Jan 14

brightonup says...

Goodbye Mr Poyet. I am sincerely sorry you caused things to turn out this way.
You brought Bridcutt in, you took him away.
Now there is no need for us to feel any lasting loyalty or gratitude to you and I sense a sense of closure; it feels good..
I would like to thank you for the good times when you first joined us, but as we was merely a stepping stone in your grand personal plan, I will refrain from applauding you. We just happened to be beneficiaries of your ego trip.
Goodbye Mr Poyet. I am sincerely sorry you caused things to turn out this way. You brought Bridcutt in, you took him away. Now there is no need for us to feel any lasting loyalty or gratitude to you and I sense a sense of closure; it feels good.. I would like to thank you for the good times when you first joined us, but as we was merely a stepping stone in your grand personal plan, I will refrain from applauding you. We just happened to be beneficiaries of your ego trip. brightonup
  • Score: 18

7:53pm Fri 31 Jan 14

brighton bluenose says...

Just shows what a c*** Poyet is!
Just shows what a c*** Poyet is! brighton bluenose
  • Score: 12

7:53pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Dave in Hastings says...

I was a Gus supporter before and during his spell with Albion, and was delighted when he came to manage the Seagulls.

However the manner of his departure and subsequent behaviour and utterances show he has little class. Hi remark that he got Liam on the cheap shows no respect for his former fans.
I was a Gus supporter before and during his spell with Albion, and was delighted when he came to manage the Seagulls. However the manner of his departure and subsequent behaviour and utterances show he has little class. Hi remark that he got Liam on the cheap shows no respect for his former fans. Dave in Hastings
  • Score: 24

7:56pm Fri 31 Jan 14

brighton bluenose says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!!
Sorry, but them's the facts..
Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion.

Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)
Christ you really are a pompous @rse!
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..[/p][/quote]Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)[/p][/quote]Christ you really are a pompous @rse! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -10

7:59pm Fri 31 Jan 14

VegasSeagull says...

I don't think Poyet needed to make known his feelings as to what price we got for Bridcutt and the fact that he has, he either wants to rub Blooms nose in it, or, he feels the need to assure the Sunderland fans that Bridcutt is a good signing. Had we been paying a biggish fee for a div one player, some on here might have questioned the decision, maybe the same applies to the Sunderland fans.
I guess that there is a third reason for Poyet speaking out, perhaps he is bolstering his own ego, 'look how clever I am.'

Cut it any way you like but as of right now, Bridcutt is not a prem level player, he may achieve that lofty position after a dozen or so matches, at this moment he is a proven high performer at champ div level.
We should never forget, Sunderland were the only club that put a firm offer on the table, and there are a few teams in the prem that are fearing relegation and could have bid for him but didn't, why not?

If the final figure was 2.5 million then I think that is low but if the figure was higher, then maybe Burke should throw it back in Poyet's face and tell us, and the Sunderland fans, the true figure.

Poyet is a good manager but as a person, sorry not my cup of tea.
I don't think Poyet needed to make known his feelings as to what price we got for Bridcutt and the fact that he has, he either wants to rub Blooms nose in it, or, he feels the need to assure the Sunderland fans that Bridcutt is a good signing. Had we been paying a biggish fee for a div one player, some on here might have questioned the decision, maybe the same applies to the Sunderland fans. I guess that there is a third reason for Poyet speaking out, perhaps he is bolstering his own ego, 'look how clever I am.' Cut it any way you like but as of right now, Bridcutt is not a prem level player, he may achieve that lofty position after a dozen or so matches, at this moment he is a proven high performer at champ div level. We should never forget, Sunderland were the only club that put a firm offer on the table, and there are a few teams in the prem that are fearing relegation and could have bid for him but didn't, why not? If the final figure was 2.5 million then I think that is low but if the figure was higher, then maybe Burke should throw it back in Poyet's face and tell us, and the Sunderland fans, the true figure. Poyet is a good manager but as a person, sorry not my cup of tea. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 30

8:06pm Fri 31 Jan 14

marksmith198000 says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!!
Sorry, but them's the facts..
Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion.

Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)
Christ you really are a pompous @rse!
Get over Gus please!!!, he is jut saying the true but you cannot accept it because he is not here, if he was our manager now and he would get a good "bargain" for us you would be delighted, so why not the same the other way? Maybe hypocrisy?
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..[/p][/quote]Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)[/p][/quote]Christ you really are a pompous @rse![/p][/quote]Get over Gus please!!!, he is jut saying the true but you cannot accept it because he is not here, if he was our manager now and he would get a good "bargain" for us you would be delighted, so why not the same the other way? Maybe hypocrisy? marksmith198000
  • Score: -14

8:08pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Yogi says...

Without knowing the full details of the transfer is impossible to make comments. I feel sure the fee/deal will be better than reported or guessed at.

Time to look forwards with renewed confidence.
Without knowing the full details of the transfer is impossible to make comments. I feel sure the fee/deal will be better than reported or guessed at. Time to look forwards with renewed confidence. Yogi
  • Score: 7

8:08pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!!
Sorry, but them's the facts..
Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion.

Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)
Christ you really are a pompous @rse!
For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof?
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..[/p][/quote]Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)[/p][/quote]Christ you really are a pompous @rse![/p][/quote]For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof? Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 7

8:19pm Fri 31 Jan 14

albionbloke says...

saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Totally agree with you Saraman, my sentiments exactly. Well said.
[quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Totally agree with you Saraman, my sentiments exactly. Well said. albionbloke
  • Score: 4

8:22pm Fri 31 Jan 14

VegasSeagull says...

The only people that know the real price paid for Bridcutt were in the room when the deal was struck. To say that you, 'know,' what the deal was is to suggest that someone that was, 'in the room,' has told you. Now I am not saying that this has not happened, it might have, but if you have such close contacts at Brighton or Sunderland, then why have you not offered answers to other question people on here have had.

Did we offer a deal to Conway.
If we did what was it.
Who, other than those we all know of, have we tried to sign but failed.
Were there any.
Does Poyet still covert Buckley.
Are Palace still in for Buckley.
Have any of our other player been the targets of firm offers.

I would love it if you could answer my questions, so I hope you really do have a finger on the pulse of Brighton.
The only people that know the real price paid for Bridcutt were in the room when the deal was struck. To say that you, 'know,' what the deal was is to suggest that someone that was, 'in the room,' has told you. Now I am not saying that this has not happened, it might have, but if you have such close contacts at Brighton or Sunderland, then why have you not offered answers to other question people on here have had. Did we offer a deal to Conway. If we did what was it. Who, other than those we all know of, have we tried to sign but failed. Were there any. Does Poyet still covert Buckley. Are Palace still in for Buckley. Have any of our other player been the targets of firm offers. I would love it if you could answer my questions, so I hope you really do have a finger on the pulse of Brighton. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 9

8:38pm Fri 31 Jan 14

wiltshire seagull says...

Where is Ringdrone when we need him?? Shut it Gus, enough is enough......
UTA.....
Where is Ringdrone when we need him?? Shut it Gus, enough is enough...... UTA..... wiltshire seagull
  • Score: 4

8:38pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..
Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)
Christ you really are a pompous @rse!
For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof?
You wouldn't ask a journo to reveal his source, or if you did he wouldn't tell you. I'm only telling what I know to be the case in the same way a journalist would, the rest is up to you guys. I have no issue if you don't want to believe it, but 2.5 no add ons. We were mugged.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..[/p][/quote]Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)[/p][/quote]Christ you really are a pompous @rse![/p][/quote]For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof?[/p][/quote]You wouldn't ask a journo to reveal his source, or if you did he wouldn't tell you. I'm only telling what I know to be the case in the same way a journalist would, the rest is up to you guys. I have no issue if you don't want to believe it, but 2.5 no add ons. We were mugged. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: -2

8:39pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Andrea Orlandigasm says...

I assume Poyet also said what a great honour it would be to manage Leeds and that he intended to take Bridcutt there before 11pm.
I assume Poyet also said what a great honour it would be to manage Leeds and that he intended to take Bridcutt there before 11pm. Andrea Orlandigasm
  • Score: 7

8:41pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Clean Sheet says...

Gus will only have got a bargain if Bridders does the business at Sunderland. I wish him all the best, but I do not think he is the finished article for the PL. You have to do something with the ball when you win it in the PL, Bridders can certainly win it, but his delivery has not always been the best. He can certainly develop, but does he have the physical stature for a holding midfielder in the PL?
Gus will only have got a bargain if Bridders does the business at Sunderland. I wish him all the best, but I do not think he is the finished article for the PL. You have to do something with the ball when you win it in the PL, Bridders can certainly win it, but his delivery has not always been the best. He can certainly develop, but does he have the physical stature for a holding midfielder in the PL? Clean Sheet
  • Score: 5

8:43pm Fri 31 Jan 14

brighton bluenose says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!!
Sorry, but them's the facts..
Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion.

Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)
Christ you really are a pompous @rse!
For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof?
TRUST 'the press' LOL!!!
Because they are the font of all knowledge and honesty and would NEVER cheat and lie and make things up would they?!!!
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..[/p][/quote]Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)[/p][/quote]Christ you really are a pompous @rse![/p][/quote]For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof?[/p][/quote]TRUST 'the press' LOL!!! Because they are the font of all knowledge and honesty and would NEVER cheat and lie and make things up would they?!!! brighton bluenose
  • Score: 2

8:52pm Fri 31 Jan 14

tonypulis says...

Like me, Mr Poyet is a top manager (if a bit gobby). Like me, he loves a bargain, hence my haggling for young Will. Still a few hours to go, so perhaps the flowers and chocolates my missus sent him may have the desired effect. It's business ladies and gents. Don't take it personally.
Like me, Mr Poyet is a top manager (if a bit gobby). Like me, he loves a bargain, hence my haggling for young Will. Still a few hours to go, so perhaps the flowers and chocolates my missus sent him may have the desired effect. It's business ladies and gents. Don't take it personally. tonypulis
  • Score: 4

9:33pm Fri 31 Jan 14

sussexram40 says...

raymondo999 wrote:
Gus was a brilliant manager for the Albion , and is now proving to be a brilliant manager for the black cats. He has also got Liam , who is clearly prem quality, at a bargain price. I wish them both well. Meantime the Albion are making some really promising signings. So we move on. Man up you moaners and groaners.
Good posting.
[quote][p][bold]raymondo999[/bold] wrote: Gus was a brilliant manager for the Albion , and is now proving to be a brilliant manager for the black cats. He has also got Liam , who is clearly prem quality, at a bargain price. I wish them both well. Meantime the Albion are making some really promising signings. So we move on. Man up you moaners and groaners.[/p][/quote]Good posting. sussexram40
  • Score: -6

9:34pm Fri 31 Jan 14

sussexram40 says...

I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight.
I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight. sussexram40
  • Score: 1

9:39pm Fri 31 Jan 14

WiseOldSeagull says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
I don't think Poyet needed to make known his feelings as to what price we got for Bridcutt and the fact that he has, he either wants to rub Blooms nose in it, or, he feels the need to assure the Sunderland fans that Bridcutt is a good signing. Had we been paying a biggish fee for a div one player, some on here might have questioned the decision, maybe the same applies to the Sunderland fans.
I guess that there is a third reason for Poyet speaking out, perhaps he is bolstering his own ego, 'look how clever I am.'

Cut it any way you like but as of right now, Bridcutt is not a prem level player, he may achieve that lofty position after a dozen or so matches, at this moment he is a proven high performer at champ div level.
We should never forget, Sunderland were the only club that put a firm offer on the table, and there are a few teams in the prem that are fearing relegation and could have bid for him but didn't, why not?

If the final figure was 2.5 million then I think that is low but if the figure was higher, then maybe Burke should throw it back in Poyet's face and tell us, and the Sunderland fans, the true figure.

Poyet is a good manager but as a person, sorry not my cup of tea.
Best post tonight. I was going to post in a similar vein but can't express it any better. In one line Gus is having a stab at his former employers, boosting his own credencials and keeping pressure off Bridcutt to make an instant impact.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I don't think Poyet needed to make known his feelings as to what price we got for Bridcutt and the fact that he has, he either wants to rub Blooms nose in it, or, he feels the need to assure the Sunderland fans that Bridcutt is a good signing. Had we been paying a biggish fee for a div one player, some on here might have questioned the decision, maybe the same applies to the Sunderland fans. I guess that there is a third reason for Poyet speaking out, perhaps he is bolstering his own ego, 'look how clever I am.' Cut it any way you like but as of right now, Bridcutt is not a prem level player, he may achieve that lofty position after a dozen or so matches, at this moment he is a proven high performer at champ div level. We should never forget, Sunderland were the only club that put a firm offer on the table, and there are a few teams in the prem that are fearing relegation and could have bid for him but didn't, why not? If the final figure was 2.5 million then I think that is low but if the figure was higher, then maybe Burke should throw it back in Poyet's face and tell us, and the Sunderland fans, the true figure. Poyet is a good manager but as a person, sorry not my cup of tea.[/p][/quote]Best post tonight. I was going to post in a similar vein but can't express it any better. In one line Gus is having a stab at his former employers, boosting his own credencials and keeping pressure off Bridcutt to make an instant impact. WiseOldSeagull
  • Score: 3

9:49pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Tony the tiger eastbourne says...

Carter_Cooldancer wrote:
Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!!
If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which.
But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree.

move on for heaven's sake.
Im sure Tonys hands were tied, if he held out for what Bridcutt was worth, then the deal would have fallen through and Bridcutt would of left for nothing in the summer. Better to get something than nothing.
[quote][p][bold]Carter_Cooldancer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!![/p][/quote]If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which. But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree. move on for heaven's sake.[/p][/quote]Im sure Tonys hands were tied, if he held out for what Bridcutt was worth, then the deal would have fallen through and Bridcutt would of left for nothing in the summer. Better to get something than nothing. Tony the tiger eastbourne
  • Score: 1

10:02pm Fri 31 Jan 14

pte says...

Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it
Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it pte
  • Score: 10

10:39pm Fri 31 Jan 14

jockithenoo says...

Thanks GUS !!!!!!! TRUE COLOURS SHINING THROUGH EHH! !!
I see you're lovely Leeds have sacked Brian mcdermott wouldn't it be an honour to manage them GUS ?????
Look or black cats you may be about to get shafted a wide boy
. UTA
Thanks GUS !!!!!!! TRUE COLOURS SHINING THROUGH EHH! !! I see you're lovely Leeds have sacked Brian mcdermott wouldn't it be an honour to manage them GUS ????? Look or black cats you may be about to get shafted a wide boy . UTA jockithenoo
  • Score: 6

11:19pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Simes Brighton says...

I thought Bridcutt was Scottish?
I thought Bridcutt was Scottish? Simes Brighton
  • Score: 5

11:20pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Alfie T says...

sussexram40 wrote:
I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight.
Don't rush back.
[quote][p][bold]sussexram40[/bold] wrote: I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight.[/p][/quote]Don't rush back. Alfie T
  • Score: 4

11:51pm Fri 31 Jan 14

Albion In Staffs says...

sussexram40 wrote:
I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight.
Well there's a shock.
[quote][p][bold]sussexram40[/bold] wrote: I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight.[/p][/quote]Well there's a shock. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 1

12:15am Sat 1 Feb 14

brighton bluenose says...

Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Carter_Cooldancer wrote:
Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!!
If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which.
But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree.

move on for heaven's sake.
Im sure Tonys hands were tied, if he held out for what Bridcutt was worth, then the deal would have fallen through and Bridcutt would of left for nothing in the summer. Better to get something than nothing.
Bridcutt was under contract until June 2015 so I'm afraid you are wrong!
[quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carter_Cooldancer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!![/p][/quote]If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which. But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree. move on for heaven's sake.[/p][/quote]Im sure Tonys hands were tied, if he held out for what Bridcutt was worth, then the deal would have fallen through and Bridcutt would of left for nothing in the summer. Better to get something than nothing.[/p][/quote]Bridcutt was under contract until June 2015 so I'm afraid you are wrong! brighton bluenose
  • Score: 3

12:26am Sat 1 Feb 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.
As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!!
Sorry, but them's the facts..
Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion.

Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)
Christ you really are a pompous @rse!
For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof?
TRUST 'the press' LOL!!!
Because they are the font of all knowledge and honesty and would NEVER cheat and lie and make things up would they?!!!
I see what you've done there, you've confused sports writers with tabloid hacks. But I think more people would trust journalists such as Oliver Holt, Manish Bhasin or Paul Hayward and even Andy Naylor over some bloke (I presume it's a bloke) with no track record who comments on stories in a provincial newspaper's website and says "trust me, it's fact".

Still we are both allowed to believe who we choose.
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Assuming that there are add-ons if they stay up, then I hope they just make it.[/p][/quote]As i mentioned earlier, it's 2.5 with no add ons. I did say so earlier, but I got shouted down by someone who refused to believe i actually knew!!! Sorry, but them's the facts..[/p][/quote]Facts can only be accepted as facts if supported by evidence. Saying "trust me" is a sure-fire way of making no-one believe you :-) What you are saying is, at the moment at least, only your opinion. Funny how you know more than journalists. What is your source? (You don't have to be specific, generalisations will do.)[/p][/quote]Christ you really are a pompous @rse![/p][/quote]For asking someone to justify their claim that we should "trust them" rather than the press? That they provide even the tiniest bit of evidence for what they claim as "facts"? Or should we all just pretend to know stuff but decline to back it up with proof?[/p][/quote]TRUST 'the press' LOL!!! Because they are the font of all knowledge and honesty and would NEVER cheat and lie and make things up would they?!!![/p][/quote]I see what you've done there, you've confused sports writers with tabloid hacks. But I think more people would trust journalists such as Oliver Holt, Manish Bhasin or Paul Hayward and even Andy Naylor over some bloke (I presume it's a bloke) with no track record who comments on stories in a provincial newspaper's website and says "trust me, it's fact". Still we are both allowed to believe who we choose. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 3

12:48am Sat 1 Feb 14

albion64 says...

daughter-of-manag wrote:
What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself.
He has shown his true colours, as expected. Whatever colours they are at the moment anyway. Next stop Leeds. Turn right when you come out of Sunderland city centre Gus. Then maybe Tottingham. The Gus bus rolls on. Where it stops nobody knows.
[quote][p][bold]daughter-of-manag[/bold] wrote: What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself.[/p][/quote]He has shown his true colours, as expected. Whatever colours they are at the moment anyway. Next stop Leeds. Turn right when you come out of Sunderland city centre Gus. Then maybe Tottingham. The Gus bus rolls on. Where it stops nobody knows. albion64
  • Score: 6

1:05am Sat 1 Feb 14

tug509 says...

The gus and liam show ,prik and prat ,you will be found out !!.
The gus and liam show ,prik and prat ,you will be found out !!. tug509
  • Score: 1

1:51am Sat 1 Feb 14

gilbertthecat says...

Agree with other posts above. LB proven Champ player so has a price for Champ clubs. No track record in the Prem so cannot be valued against established Prem players. If he does well there his stock will rise and then GP will be correct that LB was a bargain. He obviously believes LB will prove his worth and that's why he says this. One thing we could always rely on GP for was to speak his mind and nail his colours to whatever mast the wind was blowing around - regardless of how it affected others. Sometimes I'm not quite sure whether to admire him or admonish him. What's done is now done so for I'll shrug my shoulders and say "That's Gus!".
Agree with other posts above. LB proven Champ player so has a price for Champ clubs. No track record in the Prem so cannot be valued against established Prem players. If he does well there his stock will rise and then GP will be correct that LB was a bargain. He obviously believes LB will prove his worth and that's why he says this. One thing we could always rely on GP for was to speak his mind and nail his colours to whatever mast the wind was blowing around - regardless of how it affected others. Sometimes I'm not quite sure whether to admire him or admonish him. What's done is now done so for I'll shrug my shoulders and say "That's Gus!". gilbertthecat
  • Score: 4

2:33am Sat 1 Feb 14

Singing Seagull, Indonesia says...

pte wrote:
Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it
Nicely said Pte. Now, can we all refrain from boosting Mr P's already inflated ego and move on. Failure to do so might cause his head to swell so much that he won't be able to get in through the Leeds boardroom door!

Time for closure anf to focus on what is actually important... the rise and rise of our magnificent foitball club!

UTA!!!
[quote][p][bold]pte[/bold] wrote: Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it[/p][/quote]Nicely said Pte. Now, can we all refrain from boosting Mr P's already inflated ego and move on. Failure to do so might cause his head to swell so much that he won't be able to get in through the Leeds boardroom door! Time for closure anf to focus on what is actually important... the rise and rise of our magnificent foitball club! UTA!!! Singing Seagull, Indonesia
  • Score: 1

6:14am Sat 1 Feb 14

fatso says...

Gus may have got a bargain but only time will tell. However it was also good business to get that money for a player who was not interested in playing for us any longer. He could have stayed until the summer and not played a game and we could have got much less than that.

As far as premiership quality is concerned he is not there yet. In my opinion he plays too many dangerous passes (home v West Ham for example) and as the last midfield player it puts you in danger. We got away with it most of the time at Championship level but it will be punished in the permier league.
Gus may have got a bargain but only time will tell. However it was also good business to get that money for a player who was not interested in playing for us any longer. He could have stayed until the summer and not played a game and we could have got much less than that. As far as premiership quality is concerned he is not there yet. In my opinion he plays too many dangerous passes (home v West Ham for example) and as the last midfield player it puts you in danger. We got away with it most of the time at Championship level but it will be punished in the permier league. fatso
  • Score: 2

9:28am Sat 1 Feb 14

Baldseagull says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
sussexram40 wrote:
I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight.
Well there's a shock.
It is a shock that he has friends, no surprise that they live at the other end of the country to him.
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sussexram40[/bold] wrote: I've got friends in Sunderland , and I'm going there next week. £2.5million is the word all over the city tonight.[/p][/quote]Well there's a shock.[/p][/quote]It is a shock that he has friends, no surprise that they live at the other end of the country to him. Baldseagull
  • Score: 1

9:47am Sat 1 Feb 14

Captain Haddock says...

saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Trouble is their survival now earns us a very handy extra £450,000.

Maybe a last day success at Palace's expense would best suit?
[quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Trouble is their survival now earns us a very handy extra £450,000. Maybe a last day success at Palace's expense would best suit? Captain Haddock
  • Score: 3

9:59am Sat 1 Feb 14

Captain Haddock says...

Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Carter_Cooldancer wrote:
Tony the tiger eastbourne wrote:
Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!!
If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which.
But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree.

move on for heaven's sake.
Im sure Tonys hands were tied, if he held out for what Bridcutt was worth, then the deal would have fallen through and Bridcutt would of left for nothing in the summer. Better to get something than nothing.
Why would we have released a star player under three more years contract for free in the summer?
[quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carter_Cooldancer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tony the tiger eastbourne[/bold] wrote: Gus should of kept his mouth shut!! A good manager but now unfortunately showing his true colours. He knows what Liam's worth & has mugged us, although brighton are stupid enough to except it!![/p][/quote]If he has 'mugged' us as you and others are saying, then basically you are saying that Bloom is the mug as he sanctioned and approved the sale and at that price. One man's bargain is another man's good business. Time will tell which. But stop the 'we were robbed, mugged and cheated comments, because we as a club did not need to agree. move on for heaven's sake.[/p][/quote]Im sure Tonys hands were tied, if he held out for what Bridcutt was worth, then the deal would have fallen through and Bridcutt would of left for nothing in the summer. Better to get something than nothing.[/p][/quote]Why would we have released a star player under three more years contract for free in the summer? Captain Haddock
  • Score: 2

10:05am Sat 1 Feb 14

Captain Haddock says...

Captain Haddock wrote:
saraman wrote:
Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.
Trouble is their survival now earns us a very handy extra £450,000.

Maybe a last day success at Palace's expense would best suit?
Or we could forget the £450k if we manage to pass them in the way up (unlikely)?
[quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: Well, Poyet has turned out to be a bigger Count than I could ever had imagined. I was secretly hoping that he could rescue Sunderland but now I all I hope for is their distruction, starting with Newcastle this weekend.[/p][/quote]Trouble is their survival now earns us a very handy extra £450,000. Maybe a last day success at Palace's expense would best suit?[/p][/quote]Or we could forget the £450k if we manage to pass them in the way up (unlikely)? Captain Haddock
  • Score: 2

1:30pm Sat 1 Feb 14

sussexram40 says...

albion64 wrote:
daughter-of-manag wrote:
What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself.
He has shown his true colours, as expected. Whatever colours they are at the moment anyway. Next stop Leeds. Turn right when you come out of Sunderland city centre Gus. Then maybe Tottingham. The Gus bus rolls on. Where it stops nobody knows.
He'll need to go south for 100 miles or so before turning right for Leeds. If he turns right at Sunderland city centre would think he would more likely find himself in Durham. Depends which way he's facing though when he turns right. If he's facing north and turns right he will end up in the North Sea.
[quote][p][bold]albion64[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]daughter-of-manag[/bold] wrote: What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself.[/p][/quote]He has shown his true colours, as expected. Whatever colours they are at the moment anyway. Next stop Leeds. Turn right when you come out of Sunderland city centre Gus. Then maybe Tottingham. The Gus bus rolls on. Where it stops nobody knows.[/p][/quote]He'll need to go south for 100 miles or so before turning right for Leeds. If he turns right at Sunderland city centre would think he would more likely find himself in Durham. Depends which way he's facing though when he turns right. If he's facing north and turns right he will end up in the North Sea. sussexram40
  • Score: 1

7:15pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Gaz the great says...

It was always an odds on bet that LB would join up with GP, regardless if PL or conference south! Some posters have commented on his form this season & I can only guess he missed the manager who kick-started his career. Let us wish both of them good-luck at Sunderland & hope we meet & beat them in next seasons PL.
It was always an odds on bet that LB would join up with GP, regardless if PL or conference south! Some posters have commented on his form this season & I can only guess he missed the manager who kick-started his career. Let us wish both of them good-luck at Sunderland & hope we meet & beat them in next seasons PL. Gaz the great
  • Score: 1

2:28am Sun 2 Feb 14

Fi Brighton & Happy says...

sussexram40 wrote:
albion64 wrote:
daughter-of-manag wrote:
What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself.
He has shown his true colours, as expected. Whatever colours they are at the moment anyway. Next stop Leeds. Turn right when you come out of Sunderland city centre Gus. Then maybe Tottingham. The Gus bus rolls on. Where it stops nobody knows.
He'll need to go south for 100 miles or so before turning right for Leeds. If he turns right at Sunderland city centre would think he would more likely find himself in Durham. Depends which way he's facing though when he turns right. If he's facing north and turns right he will end up in the North Sea.
Best place for him if you ask me! Pity he didn't take the long walk off a short pier - preferably OURS (PALACE Pier, NOT Brighton Pier, for all those who don't know)!! I wonder if anyone would have thrown him a lifebuoy? Not me, after the way he treated the club and us at the end of last season. He really is the MOST self-serving, self-aggrandizing manager I've ever had the misfortune to know of. Spouting off to the press like that is so immature and, in the end, foolish, especially if Sunderland end up being relegated! Atm and imho, I'm not sure that that's going to be the case, but oh, how good it is to dream! Hand-in-hand with crystal palace, of course! Even IF we don't get promoted, the sheer pleasure of their downfall will be the stuff of dreams - good ones obviously! Then we can show them who's the better team as well as what class actually is.
[quote][p][bold]sussexram40[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]albion64[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]daughter-of-manag[/bold] wrote: What a complete turkey Poyet is. He has no class. He will keep them up this year but will move on when a better opportunity presents itself.[/p][/quote]He has shown his true colours, as expected. Whatever colours they are at the moment anyway. Next stop Leeds. Turn right when you come out of Sunderland city centre Gus. Then maybe Tottingham. The Gus bus rolls on. Where it stops nobody knows.[/p][/quote]He'll need to go south for 100 miles or so before turning right for Leeds. If he turns right at Sunderland city centre would think he would more likely find himself in Durham. Depends which way he's facing though when he turns right. If he's facing north and turns right he will end up in the North Sea.[/p][/quote]Best place for him if you ask me! Pity he didn't take the long walk off a short pier - preferably OURS (PALACE Pier, NOT Brighton Pier, for all those who don't know)!! I wonder if anyone would have thrown him a lifebuoy? Not me, after the way he treated the club and us at the end of last season. He really is the MOST self-serving, self-aggrandizing manager I've ever had the misfortune to know of. Spouting off to the press like that is so immature and, in the end, foolish, especially if Sunderland end up being relegated! Atm and imho, I'm not sure that that's going to be the case, but oh, how good it is to dream! Hand-in-hand with crystal palace, of course! Even IF we don't get promoted, the sheer pleasure of their downfall will be the stuff of dreams - good ones obviously! Then we can show them who's the better team as well as what class actually is. Fi Brighton & Happy
  • Score: 2

3:08am Sun 2 Feb 14

Fi Brighton & Happy says...

Singing Seagull, Indonesia wrote:
pte wrote:
Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it
Nicely said Pte. Now, can we all refrain from boosting Mr P's already inflated ego and move on. Failure to do so might cause his head to swell so much that he won't be able to get in through the Leeds boardroom door!

Time for closure anf to focus on what is actually important... the rise and rise of our magnificent foitball club!

UTA!!!
I totally agree with you SS, gp's ego is already big enough. It won't fit through the Tyne Tunnel, never mind anywhere else! And yes I know the Tyne Tunnel is not on his way to Leeds. Hopefully - if the everyone on here's dreams, including mine, come true - he'll be holding it in his hands next season, while we wave at him from up above in the Premiership! With crystal palace right next to them!
Btw, can anyone enlighten me as to why we 'hate' palace so much? Sorry but I've been living under a stone (polite way to say Wales, amongst other places) for the last umpty-odd years, and before that I was at school, so never knew. I know, shame on me! Also, I'm a girl and girls weren't interested in football as much back then. At least not the ones I used to be friends with anyway! I may be thick in the way I see it, but I would have thought that our derby would be somewhere closer, or maybe now that they're in the Championship, it could be Bournemouth? There wouldn't be as much animosity at least! :) I love the game these days and would like to go to matches when I can afford to, but I hate the atmosphere at these particular games. Still, I don't have to go to them. I'm just commenting. No offence intended by the way to anyone who knows what they're on about. Don't have a go at me - I only want to know more about the club and its history etc. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks!
[quote][p][bold]Singing Seagull, Indonesia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pte[/bold] wrote: Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it[/p][/quote]Nicely said Pte. Now, can we all refrain from boosting Mr P's already inflated ego and move on. Failure to do so might cause his head to swell so much that he won't be able to get in through the Leeds boardroom door! Time for closure anf to focus on what is actually important... the rise and rise of our magnificent foitball club! UTA!!![/p][/quote]I totally agree with you SS, gp's ego is already big enough. It won't fit through the Tyne Tunnel, never mind anywhere else! And yes I know the Tyne Tunnel is not on his way to Leeds. Hopefully - if the everyone on here's dreams, including mine, come true - he'll be holding it in his hands next season, while we wave at him from up above in the Premiership! With crystal palace right next to them! Btw, can anyone enlighten me as to why we 'hate' palace so much? Sorry but I've been living under a stone (polite way to say Wales, amongst other places) for the last umpty-odd years, and before that I was at school, so never knew. I know, shame on me! Also, I'm a girl and girls weren't interested in football as much back then. At least not the ones I used to be friends with anyway! I may be thick in the way I see it, but I would have thought that our derby would be somewhere closer, or maybe now that they're in the Championship, it could be Bournemouth? There wouldn't be as much animosity at least! :) I love the game these days and would like to go to matches when I can afford to, but I hate the atmosphere at these particular games. Still, I don't have to go to them. I'm just commenting. No offence intended by the way to anyone who knows what they're on about. Don't have a go at me - I only want to know more about the club and its history etc. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks! Fi Brighton & Happy
  • Score: 2

3:08am Sun 2 Feb 14

Fi Brighton & Happy says...

Singing Seagull, Indonesia wrote:
pte wrote:
Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it
Nicely said Pte. Now, can we all refrain from boosting Mr P's already inflated ego and move on. Failure to do so might cause his head to swell so much that he won't be able to get in through the Leeds boardroom door!

Time for closure anf to focus on what is actually important... the rise and rise of our magnificent foitball club!

UTA!!!
I totally agree with you SS, gp's ego is already big enough. It won't fit through the Tyne Tunnel, never mind anywhere else! And yes I know the Tyne Tunnel is not on his way to Leeds. Hopefully - if the everyone on here's dreams, including mine, come true - he'll be holding it in his hands next season, while we wave at him from up above in the Premiership! With crystal palace right next to them!
Btw, can anyone enlighten me as to why we 'hate' palace so much? Sorry but I've been living under a stone (polite way to say Wales, amongst other places) for the last umpty-odd years, and before that I was at school, so never knew. I know, shame on me! Also, I'm a girl and girls weren't interested in football as much back then. At least not the ones I used to be friends with anyway! I may be thick in the way I see it, but I would have thought that our derby would be somewhere closer, or maybe now that they're in the Championship, it could be Bournemouth? There wouldn't be as much animosity at least! :) I love the game these days and would like to go to matches when I can afford to, but I hate the atmosphere at these particular games. Still, I don't have to go to them. I'm just commenting. No offence intended by the way to anyone who knows what they're on about. Don't have a go at me - I only want to know more about the club and its history etc. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks!
[quote][p][bold]Singing Seagull, Indonesia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pte[/bold] wrote: Maybe Bridcutt was worth more and Sunderland nicked him on the cheap. But Bridcutt cost us nothing, made a good playing contribution and we've got 2.5m and saved on his wages. We have Ince and we've nicked Stephens from Charlton for 0.5m. Same with Barnes, if you can nick players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit (with replacements lined up) it's good business. A committed Stephens is worth more than a want away Bridcutt who had to go no question of it[/p][/quote]Nicely said Pte. Now, can we all refrain from boosting Mr P's already inflated ego and move on. Failure to do so might cause his head to swell so much that he won't be able to get in through the Leeds boardroom door! Time for closure anf to focus on what is actually important... the rise and rise of our magnificent foitball club! UTA!!![/p][/quote]I totally agree with you SS, gp's ego is already big enough. It won't fit through the Tyne Tunnel, never mind anywhere else! And yes I know the Tyne Tunnel is not on his way to Leeds. Hopefully - if the everyone on here's dreams, including mine, come true - he'll be holding it in his hands next season, while we wave at him from up above in the Premiership! With crystal palace right next to them! Btw, can anyone enlighten me as to why we 'hate' palace so much? Sorry but I've been living under a stone (polite way to say Wales, amongst other places) for the last umpty-odd years, and before that I was at school, so never knew. I know, shame on me! Also, I'm a girl and girls weren't interested in football as much back then. At least not the ones I used to be friends with anyway! I may be thick in the way I see it, but I would have thought that our derby would be somewhere closer, or maybe now that they're in the Championship, it could be Bournemouth? There wouldn't be as much animosity at least! :) I love the game these days and would like to go to matches when I can afford to, but I hate the atmosphere at these particular games. Still, I don't have to go to them. I'm just commenting. No offence intended by the way to anyone who knows what they're on about. Don't have a go at me - I only want to know more about the club and its history etc. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks! Fi Brighton & Happy
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree