Calderon: We can be proud of our display against Hull

The Argus: The Albion players can be happy with their efforts last night insists Inigo Calderon The Albion players can be happy with their efforts last night insists Inigo Calderon

Inigo Calderon believes Albion can be proud of how they performed against Premier League Hull.

The Seagulls were denied a victory by an equaliser four minutes from time.

Skipper for the night Calderon said: “We were nearly there. It was a pity but now we will have to go there.

“We respected them but we weren’t afraid of them. We just played our normal game because we know mostly playing at home if we play our best level we have a chance to win, no matter who we play.

“When you play a Premier side you want to show yourself you can play against them. We did for 85 minutes and it was a massive pity because we deserved that (to win).”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:08am Tue 18 Feb 14

Eddy B says...

Agree Calde, we gave a very good account of ourselves and didn't look out of place against a (not yet established) premiership side. Playing our style of football and with some key personnel additions I think the future is bright and we could do ok in the premiership.
(I know we actually beat Hull at the Amex last season but I don't know if they had the same team and I do remember we were pretty lucky that day, and we had Vicente!)
Agree Calde, we gave a very good account of ourselves and didn't look out of place against a (not yet established) premiership side. Playing our style of football and with some key personnel additions I think the future is bright and we could do ok in the premiership. (I know we actually beat Hull at the Amex last season but I don't know if they had the same team and I do remember we were pretty lucky that day, and we had Vicente!) Eddy B

7:27am Tue 18 Feb 14

WiseOldSeagull says...

I thought everyone put in a shift and ran their socks off. OK Lua Lua wasn't as effective as he might have been but he was up against a premier league side and still worked extremely hard. At the very least he was a niusance. It's difficult to criticise the players given the work rate.

We are by no means out of it in the replay. Hull have to travel to Cardff on Saturday and I'd be surprised if they play as strong a side on Monday as they did yesterday. TB could open his wallet and send them up on a flight Monday morning followed by light training and chicken and pasta.
I thought everyone put in a shift and ran their socks off. OK Lua Lua wasn't as effective as he might have been but he was up against a premier league side and still worked extremely hard. At the very least he was a niusance. It's difficult to criticise the players given the work rate. We are by no means out of it in the replay. Hull have to travel to Cardff on Saturday and I'd be surprised if they play as strong a side on Monday as they did yesterday. TB could open his wallet and send them up on a flight Monday morning followed by light training and chicken and pasta. WiseOldSeagull

7:36am Tue 18 Feb 14

Albion In Staffs says...

I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity.
On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it.
Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch.
Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday.
Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong......
I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity. On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it. Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch. Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday. Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong...... Albion In Staffs

7:38am Tue 18 Feb 14

Yorkieseagull says...

It was a great team effort, though Upson was outstanding, and the way we pressed throughout the game was entertaining to watch. I was delighted when Obika came on as I wanted to see what he was capable of given time to settle on the pitch. Oh dear..... At one point as he sprinted diagonally across the pitch the entire North Stand were pointing at him to show him where the goal was, his attempt on goal was woeful, and he showed all the balance and composure of Douglas Bader on ice. I think we've seen enough!
It was a great team effort, though Upson was outstanding, and the way we pressed throughout the game was entertaining to watch. I was delighted when Obika came on as I wanted to see what he was capable of given time to settle on the pitch. Oh dear..... At one point as he sprinted diagonally across the pitch the entire North Stand were pointing at him to show him where the goal was, his attempt on goal was woeful, and he showed all the balance and composure of Douglas Bader on ice. I think we've seen enough! Yorkieseagull

7:41am Tue 18 Feb 14

seegull fly in sky says...

brytin noa wun noa loss bryton drawers. bryton ply nuvver gaim e hullo UHT
brytin noa wun noa loss bryton drawers. bryton ply nuvver gaim e hullo UHT seegull fly in sky

8:08am Tue 18 Feb 14

Far gull says...

Eddy B wrote:
Agree Calde, we gave a very good account of ourselves and didn't look out of place against a (not yet established) premiership side. Playing our style of football and with some key personnel additions I think the future is bright and we could do ok in the premiership.
(I know we actually beat Hull at the Amex last season but I don't know if they had the same team and I do remember we were pretty lucky that day, and we had Vicente!)
Yep . Vicente ,has he retired? Do you know . Him or someone similar in for Andrews and we might have stood à chance. Ince is class and I hope next season or maybe this we drop playing two defensive midfielders . I agree with Calde but we just don't break in numbers fast enough on the counter attack . Thought on reflection this morning a good game,thanks to Hull poster on another thread ,good to have an opinion from the other 'stand'. Obviously they were playing a few non first team regulars .
Hope cms back soon to help it Leo as Obika can go back to Spurs with my blessing,but think he may be headed to the non league scene on last night showing.
Can see why Adam left now ,if Dunk playing like that in training he needed to become at least first choice CB replacement, Greer will have to keep up his level of performance to keep him at bay.
[quote][p][bold]Eddy B[/bold] wrote: Agree Calde, we gave a very good account of ourselves and didn't look out of place against a (not yet established) premiership side. Playing our style of football and with some key personnel additions I think the future is bright and we could do ok in the premiership. (I know we actually beat Hull at the Amex last season but I don't know if they had the same team and I do remember we were pretty lucky that day, and we had Vicente!)[/p][/quote]Yep . Vicente ,has he retired? Do you know . Him or someone similar in for Andrews and we might have stood à chance. Ince is class and I hope next season or maybe this we drop playing two defensive midfielders . I agree with Calde but we just don't break in numbers fast enough on the counter attack . Thought on reflection this morning a good game,thanks to Hull poster on another thread ,good to have an opinion from the other 'stand'. Obviously they were playing a few non first team regulars . Hope cms back soon to help it Leo as Obika can go back to Spurs with my blessing,but think he may be headed to the non league scene on last night showing. Can see why Adam left now ,if Dunk playing like that in training he needed to become at least first choice CB replacement, Greer will have to keep up his level of performance to keep him at bay. Far gull

9:04am Tue 18 Feb 14

hong kong seagull says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity.
On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it.
Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch.
Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday.
Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong......
A very good post. I too was only able to catch it on TV and while there were some really fluid passages of play, I felt we gave away the ball too cheaply, and at times even inexplicably.

The defending was stoic throughout, however, it would make for calmer viewing if the back line didn't sit so deep. The more the game went on the more anxious I became that Hull would get back in it and sure enough, that's what happened.

Notwithstanding the aforementioned, as many posters have said on here, our beloved Albion didn't look out of place against arguably a team closer to their starting eleven than ours, and at times we made Hull look like the lesser light.

We still have an opportunity get to the quarters and I for one won't be discounting our chances.

Does anybody know if it'll be on TV?
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity. On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it. Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch. Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday. Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong......[/p][/quote]A very good post. I too was only able to catch it on TV and while there were some really fluid passages of play, I felt we gave away the ball too cheaply, and at times even inexplicably. The defending was stoic throughout, however, it would make for calmer viewing if the back line didn't sit so deep. The more the game went on the more anxious I became that Hull would get back in it and sure enough, that's what happened. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, as many posters have said on here, our beloved Albion didn't look out of place against arguably a team closer to their starting eleven than ours, and at times we made Hull look like the lesser light. We still have an opportunity get to the quarters and I for one won't be discounting our chances. Does anybody know if it'll be on TV? hong kong seagull

9:05am Tue 18 Feb 14

WiseOldSeagull says...

Yorkieseagull wrote:
It was a great team effort, though Upson was outstanding, and the way we pressed throughout the game was entertaining to watch. I was delighted when Obika came on as I wanted to see what he was capable of given time to settle on the pitch. Oh dear..... At one point as he sprinted diagonally across the pitch the entire North Stand were pointing at him to show him where the goal was, his attempt on goal was woeful, and he showed all the balance and composure of Douglas Bader on ice. I think we've seen enough!
I try to steer clear of negative comments where I can but I have to completely agree with what you say about Obika. He looked completely out of his depth. What is worrying is that we have no one other than Len that can do the lone striker role and we never play with two srikers. This leaves two wide berths between Lua Lua, Rodney, Buckers, March, CMS and Hoskins. You could also throw in Orlandi and Spanish Dave. Do we need 8 wingers? Coz that's what we have if our system is one lone striker and there is only one of our players competent paying there.
[quote][p][bold]Yorkieseagull[/bold] wrote: It was a great team effort, though Upson was outstanding, and the way we pressed throughout the game was entertaining to watch. I was delighted when Obika came on as I wanted to see what he was capable of given time to settle on the pitch. Oh dear..... At one point as he sprinted diagonally across the pitch the entire North Stand were pointing at him to show him where the goal was, his attempt on goal was woeful, and he showed all the balance and composure of Douglas Bader on ice. I think we've seen enough![/p][/quote]I try to steer clear of negative comments where I can but I have to completely agree with what you say about Obika. He looked completely out of his depth. What is worrying is that we have no one other than Len that can do the lone striker role and we never play with two srikers. This leaves two wide berths between Lua Lua, Rodney, Buckers, March, CMS and Hoskins. You could also throw in Orlandi and Spanish Dave. Do we need 8 wingers? Coz that's what we have if our system is one lone striker and there is only one of our players competent paying there. WiseOldSeagull

9:05am Tue 18 Feb 14

elljam says...

Surely Dunk must command a regular starting slot after last night & I was surprised he didn't get MOM. Composure, physically strong, technically sound, good reading of the game & most of all PACE !!!. As for that block over the bar in the last minute to save a certain winner for Hull. Greer's generally done well over the years but there is a better man ready to take his place.
I'm not JFC's biggest fan as I don't think he affects the game enough yet, but last night he was everywhere & by far the best I've seen him play. I wish some of the other players showed his desire to get in advanced positions & help Ulloa.
Which brings me to LuaLua who must have a phobia about getting in the penalty area (I think the club should hire Paul McKenna to sort this). On the occasions we counter-attacked in the 2nd half I saw a couple of players sprinting past him while it looked like he was on his post-match warm down. He has to realise that it's not exclusive to just try when you have the ball but it is also OK to bust a gut to give your team-mate's options. Was he told by OG to play as a central midfielder in the 1st half & leave Chicksen with no defensive help as he was often left 2 v 1. The Hull right back had the freedom of the park with no-one to mark & no-one marking him when he went forward. OG must realise that he has no impact when playing inside & he doesn't seem to have the nous to find space.
Maybe he is best as a impact player when the game becomes a little more stretched, as almost every time he has a positive effect on the game when used as a sub.
It was good to see Buckley showing glimpses of what he can give us by making the goal & setting up that glorious chance on half-time. I assume it was pre-planned for him to only play 45 mins & lets hope that he stays injury free so he can get fully up to speed for the run-in. March gives us a good alternative but doesn't possess a fully flowing Buckley's direct goal threat.

I enjoyed the game & thought we had weathered the storm as Hull seemed to have run out of ideas until the goal.
Surely Dunk must command a regular starting slot after last night & I was surprised he didn't get MOM. Composure, physically strong, technically sound, good reading of the game & most of all PACE !!!. As for that block over the bar in the last minute to save a certain winner for Hull. Greer's generally done well over the years but there is a better man ready to take his place. I'm not JFC's biggest fan as I don't think he affects the game enough yet, but last night he was everywhere & by far the best I've seen him play. I wish some of the other players showed his desire to get in advanced positions & help Ulloa. Which brings me to LuaLua who must have a phobia about getting in the penalty area (I think the club should hire Paul McKenna to sort this). On the occasions we counter-attacked in the 2nd half I saw a couple of players sprinting past him while it looked like he was on his post-match warm down. He has to realise that it's not exclusive to just try when you have the ball but it is also OK to bust a gut to give your team-mate's options. Was he told by OG to play as a central midfielder in the 1st half & leave Chicksen with no defensive help as he was often left 2 v 1. The Hull right back had the freedom of the park with no-one to mark & no-one marking him when he went forward. OG must realise that he has no impact when playing inside & he doesn't seem to have the nous to find space. Maybe he is best as a impact player when the game becomes a little more stretched, as almost every time he has a positive effect on the game when used as a sub. It was good to see Buckley showing glimpses of what he can give us by making the goal & setting up that glorious chance on half-time. I assume it was pre-planned for him to only play 45 mins & lets hope that he stays injury free so he can get fully up to speed for the run-in. March gives us a good alternative but doesn't possess a fully flowing Buckley's direct goal threat. I enjoyed the game & thought we had weathered the storm as Hull seemed to have run out of ideas until the goal. elljam

9:06am Tue 18 Feb 14

DuncanThickett says...

Disappointing to concede so late, but all I want to say is:

Fulham v Sheff Utd
Cardiff v Wigan

We CAN still go through!
Disappointing to concede so late, but all I want to say is: Fulham v Sheff Utd Cardiff v Wigan We CAN still go through! DuncanThickett

9:15am Tue 18 Feb 14

hong kong seagull says...

Far gull wrote:
Eddy B wrote:
Agree Calde, we gave a very good account of ourselves and didn't look out of place against a (not yet established) premiership side. Playing our style of football and with some key personnel additions I think the future is bright and we could do ok in the premiership.
(I know we actually beat Hull at the Amex last season but I don't know if they had the same team and I do remember we were pretty lucky that day, and we had Vicente!)
Yep . Vicente ,has he retired? Do you know . Him or someone similar in for Andrews and we might have stood à chance. Ince is class and I hope next season or maybe this we drop playing two defensive midfielders . I agree with Calde but we just don't break in numbers fast enough on the counter attack . Thought on reflection this morning a good game,thanks to Hull poster on another thread ,good to have an opinion from the other 'stand'. Obviously they were playing a few non first team regulars .
Hope cms back soon to help it Leo as Obika can go back to Spurs with my blessing,but think he may be headed to the non league scene on last night showing.
Can see why Adam left now ,if Dunk playing like that in training he needed to become at least first choice CB replacement, Greer will have to keep up his level of performance to keep him at bay.
I also thought Dunk put in an assured display. Vicente for Andrews would have made a difference, I believe. However, as it was mentioned, without real speed to hit teams on the break, we are really asking for it. Solly had a good game and caused them some bother when he started running at them.

If we could alter our style just a bit to allow for faster breaks teams would be less eager to lay siege to our penalty area. CMS will help when he returns. Couple him with Solly, Buckers and KLL and we could cause any team problems. Still not sure who I would play behind the striker though
[quote][p][bold]Far gull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eddy B[/bold] wrote: Agree Calde, we gave a very good account of ourselves and didn't look out of place against a (not yet established) premiership side. Playing our style of football and with some key personnel additions I think the future is bright and we could do ok in the premiership. (I know we actually beat Hull at the Amex last season but I don't know if they had the same team and I do remember we were pretty lucky that day, and we had Vicente!)[/p][/quote]Yep . Vicente ,has he retired? Do you know . Him or someone similar in for Andrews and we might have stood à chance. Ince is class and I hope next season or maybe this we drop playing two defensive midfielders . I agree with Calde but we just don't break in numbers fast enough on the counter attack . Thought on reflection this morning a good game,thanks to Hull poster on another thread ,good to have an opinion from the other 'stand'. Obviously they were playing a few non first team regulars . Hope cms back soon to help it Leo as Obika can go back to Spurs with my blessing,but think he may be headed to the non league scene on last night showing. Can see why Adam left now ,if Dunk playing like that in training he needed to become at least first choice CB replacement, Greer will have to keep up his level of performance to keep him at bay.[/p][/quote]I also thought Dunk put in an assured display. Vicente for Andrews would have made a difference, I believe. However, as it was mentioned, without real speed to hit teams on the break, we are really asking for it. Solly had a good game and caused them some bother when he started running at them. If we could alter our style just a bit to allow for faster breaks teams would be less eager to lay siege to our penalty area. CMS will help when he returns. Couple him with Solly, Buckers and KLL and we could cause any team problems. Still not sure who I would play behind the striker though hong kong seagull

9:20am Tue 18 Feb 14

hong kong seagull says...

WiseOldSeagull wrote:
Yorkieseagull wrote:
It was a great team effort, though Upson was outstanding, and the way we pressed throughout the game was entertaining to watch. I was delighted when Obika came on as I wanted to see what he was capable of given time to settle on the pitch. Oh dear..... At one point as he sprinted diagonally across the pitch the entire North Stand were pointing at him to show him where the goal was, his attempt on goal was woeful, and he showed all the balance and composure of Douglas Bader on ice. I think we've seen enough!
I try to steer clear of negative comments where I can but I have to completely agree with what you say about Obika. He looked completely out of his depth. What is worrying is that we have no one other than Len that can do the lone striker role and we never play with two srikers. This leaves two wide berths between Lua Lua, Rodney, Buckers, March, CMS and Hoskins. You could also throw in Orlandi and Spanish Dave. Do we need 8 wingers? Coz that's what we have if our system is one lone striker and there is only one of our players competent paying there.
I agree. Not just that but we need some creativity to supply the front two. How has Orlandi/Spanish Dave coped in this position? Or is Andrews the better option? I thought he faded in the second half in that DM role
[quote][p][bold]WiseOldSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Yorkieseagull[/bold] wrote: It was a great team effort, though Upson was outstanding, and the way we pressed throughout the game was entertaining to watch. I was delighted when Obika came on as I wanted to see what he was capable of given time to settle on the pitch. Oh dear..... At one point as he sprinted diagonally across the pitch the entire North Stand were pointing at him to show him where the goal was, his attempt on goal was woeful, and he showed all the balance and composure of Douglas Bader on ice. I think we've seen enough![/p][/quote]I try to steer clear of negative comments where I can but I have to completely agree with what you say about Obika. He looked completely out of his depth. What is worrying is that we have no one other than Len that can do the lone striker role and we never play with two srikers. This leaves two wide berths between Lua Lua, Rodney, Buckers, March, CMS and Hoskins. You could also throw in Orlandi and Spanish Dave. Do we need 8 wingers? Coz that's what we have if our system is one lone striker and there is only one of our players competent paying there.[/p][/quote]I agree. Not just that but we need some creativity to supply the front two. How has Orlandi/Spanish Dave coped in this position? Or is Andrews the better option? I thought he faded in the second half in that DM role hong kong seagull

9:35am Tue 18 Feb 14

SecondReserve says...

A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead.

Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor.

we could
A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead. Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor. we could SecondReserve

10:03am Tue 18 Feb 14

pablobrowno says...

I also have reservations about Andrews, his certain failings are obvious. But the guy CAN spot a pass. Let us not forget it was a worldy pass to Buckley that set him off down the right wing to deliver that perfect ball for the misse Ulloa header. It was the best pass of the night without doubt.

All of our squad players are there for a reason and can all be part of our success. Apart from Obika, it seems. But even then there must be a reason why spurs have not let him leave in over 5 years with them!?
I also have reservations about Andrews, his certain failings are obvious. But the guy CAN spot a pass. Let us not forget it was a worldy pass to Buckley that set him off down the right wing to deliver that perfect ball for the misse Ulloa header. It was the best pass of the night without doubt. All of our squad players are there for a reason and can all be part of our success. Apart from Obika, it seems. But even then there must be a reason why spurs have not let him leave in over 5 years with them!? pablobrowno

10:05am Tue 18 Feb 14

Alfie T says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity.
On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it.
Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch.
Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday.
Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong......
Not sure where your coming from regarding Ulloa and Ince,both were excellent, a few weeks ago Leo would probably have missed his goal due to lack of pace and fitness, he's getting back to his best as Steve Bruce commented, he caused us problems all night.

Ince was excellent, for such a big lad he has excellent skill and rarely misses his pass,his ball retention is also very good,getting better with every game.Perhaps being there gives a different perspective to watching on the tv.
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity. On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it. Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch. Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday. Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong......[/p][/quote]Not sure where your coming from regarding Ulloa and Ince,both were excellent, a few weeks ago Leo would probably have missed his goal due to lack of pace and fitness, he's getting back to his best as Steve Bruce commented, he caused us problems all night. Ince was excellent, for such a big lad he has excellent skill and rarely misses his pass,his ball retention is also very good,getting better with every game.Perhaps being there gives a different perspective to watching on the tv. Alfie T

10:07am Tue 18 Feb 14

Albion In Staffs says...

SecondReserve wrote:
A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead.

Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor.

we could
I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!!
On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story?
The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace.
It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon!
[quote][p][bold]SecondReserve[/bold] wrote: A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead. Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor. we could[/p][/quote]I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!! On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story? The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace. It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon! Albion In Staffs

10:11am Tue 18 Feb 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Alfie T wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity.
On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it.
Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch.
Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday.
Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong......
Not sure where your coming from regarding Ulloa and Ince,both were excellent, a few weeks ago Leo would probably have missed his goal due to lack of pace and fitness, he's getting back to his best as Steve Bruce commented, he caused us problems all night.

Ince was excellent, for such a big lad he has excellent skill and rarely misses his pass,his ball retention is also very good,getting better with every game.Perhaps being there gives a different perspective to watching on the tv.
Alfie, As a consequence of your presence, you may well be right so I'm not going to stamp all over your opinion. But it's definitely how I saw it on TV and a couple of my mates both commented that we kept giving the ball away in their areas.
I'm not saying either are bad players, because they clearly aren't and I sincerely hope both stuff my thoughts down my throat next Monday!
[quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: I may get shot down in flames by many here, especially as I could only watch on TV, but while I thought certain individuals did well, I actually thought it was a scruffy team performance and we missed a golden opportunity. On the positive side, I'll admit to be being pleasantly surprised at how assured Dunk looked while JFC and late on, Solly March looked decent too although a little more experience may have helped us. I acutally can't work out my thoughts on Ulloa. His goal and some of his touch play appeared to be balanced by some moments where he looked strangely off the pace? Forget the header. He should've scored, but all strikers miss. KLL had his chance and blew it. Team wise, I thought we gave the ball away far too easily and put ourselves under needless pressure. The tight passing game was always 'on the edge' and it appeared to me that Ince was chasing around too much instead of focusing on his own job, Andrews became more anonymous as the game went on and the cohesion that would have seen us through, was mostly just out of reach thanks to a loose pass or a sloppy touch. Hull were average and their attacking threat exaggerated by our own frailties and I fear a brave attempt will go down in flames next Monday. Many will feel I'm being a little harsh but my thoughts actually stem from the view that we had - and still have - the capability within the side to see them off. So for me, dreams of Wembley are now reserved exclusively for the play offs. But I do so hope I'm wrong......[/p][/quote]Not sure where your coming from regarding Ulloa and Ince,both were excellent, a few weeks ago Leo would probably have missed his goal due to lack of pace and fitness, he's getting back to his best as Steve Bruce commented, he caused us problems all night. Ince was excellent, for such a big lad he has excellent skill and rarely misses his pass,his ball retention is also very good,getting better with every game.Perhaps being there gives a different perspective to watching on the tv.[/p][/quote]Alfie, As a consequence of your presence, you may well be right so I'm not going to stamp all over your opinion. But it's definitely how I saw it on TV and a couple of my mates both commented that we kept giving the ball away in their areas. I'm not saying either are bad players, because they clearly aren't and I sincerely hope both stuff my thoughts down my throat next Monday! Albion In Staffs

10:42am Tue 18 Feb 14

hong kong seagull says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
SecondReserve wrote:
A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead.

Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor.

we could
I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!!
On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story?
The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace.
It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon!
I see your point but why is it that we only play this way after scoring? Sitting deep like we did last night coupled with giving the ball away so often is a recipe for more incisive front lines to tear us apart. That being said, it didn't look like Hull were going to be able to do that until they scored.

Maybe these are simply the best tactics with current personnel.

I haven't seen much of Dunk but was impressed last night - Is he fast?
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SecondReserve[/bold] wrote: A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead. Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor. we could[/p][/quote]I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!! On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story? The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace. It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon![/p][/quote]I see your point but why is it that we only play this way after scoring? Sitting deep like we did last night coupled with giving the ball away so often is a recipe for more incisive front lines to tear us apart. That being said, it didn't look like Hull were going to be able to do that until they scored. Maybe these are simply the best tactics with current personnel. I haven't seen much of Dunk but was impressed last night - Is he fast? hong kong seagull

12:11pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Chi Gull says...

hong kong seagull wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
SecondReserve wrote:
A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead.

Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor.

we could
I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!!
On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story?
The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace.
It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon!
I see your point but why is it that we only play this way after scoring? Sitting deep like we did last night coupled with giving the ball away so often is a recipe for more incisive front lines to tear us apart. That being said, it didn't look like Hull were going to be able to do that until they scored.

Maybe these are simply the best tactics with current personnel.

I haven't seen much of Dunk but was impressed last night - Is he fast?
We didn't sit deep. They never threatened until they scored!
[quote][p][bold]hong kong seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SecondReserve[/bold] wrote: A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead. Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor. we could[/p][/quote]I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!! On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story? The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace. It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon![/p][/quote]I see your point but why is it that we only play this way after scoring? Sitting deep like we did last night coupled with giving the ball away so often is a recipe for more incisive front lines to tear us apart. That being said, it didn't look like Hull were going to be able to do that until they scored. Maybe these are simply the best tactics with current personnel. I haven't seen much of Dunk but was impressed last night - Is he fast?[/p][/quote]We didn't sit deep. They never threatened until they scored! Chi Gull

12:32pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Chi Gull wrote:
hong kong seagull wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
SecondReserve wrote:
A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead.

Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor.

we could
I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!!
On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story?
The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace.
It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon!
I see your point but why is it that we only play this way after scoring? Sitting deep like we did last night coupled with giving the ball away so often is a recipe for more incisive front lines to tear us apart. That being said, it didn't look like Hull were going to be able to do that until they scored.

Maybe these are simply the best tactics with current personnel.

I haven't seen much of Dunk but was impressed last night - Is he fast?
We didn't sit deep. They never threatened until they scored!
This could turn into a series of opinions from the coaching manuals none of us possess, (at least I don't) so I'll simply confirm my opinion that I think our overall style of play tries to compensate for a lack of pace at the back. 'Lack of pace' by the way, doesn't automatically translate to 'cr*p defender'.
On a separate note, it's surely undeniable to state that while Hull apparently 'never threatened', they did manage to hit the woodwork twice in the first half......
[quote][p][bold]Chi Gull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hong kong seagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SecondReserve[/bold] wrote: A pretty good performance: we could have won and had Ulloa scored with his header when totally unmarked we almost certainly would have done. However it is obvious to everyone seemingly apart from the players and the management that we always defend much too deep when we are ahead. Can anybody, anybody tell me why we spent months waiting to get Obika on loan. He's been on loan at a variety of clubs on countless occasions but no one has actually bought him. Last night he showed exactly why that is. Dear, oh dear he's poor. we could[/p][/quote]I'm tempted to say, we could, what?? But I guess it's a typo?!! On the basis of what I saw last night, I'd agree with all Obika. Obviously he DID score against Port Vale, but that surely tells it's own story? The only reason I can think of for us playing so deep, is that we're scared Sh*tless of pace, simply because we haven't got any in our back line. If you look at all the options, I'm not sure any would compete in a straight race with someone like a Sean Wright-Phillips, let alone any of the current Prem speed merchants. We've got solid, quality defenders but they all seem vulnerable to pace. It's the only reason I can think, and if that's the case, get used to it people, cause it ain't changing any time soon![/p][/quote]I see your point but why is it that we only play this way after scoring? Sitting deep like we did last night coupled with giving the ball away so often is a recipe for more incisive front lines to tear us apart. That being said, it didn't look like Hull were going to be able to do that until they scored. Maybe these are simply the best tactics with current personnel. I haven't seen much of Dunk but was impressed last night - Is he fast?[/p][/quote]We didn't sit deep. They never threatened until they scored![/p][/quote]This could turn into a series of opinions from the coaching manuals none of us possess, (at least I don't) so I'll simply confirm my opinion that I think our overall style of play tries to compensate for a lack of pace at the back. 'Lack of pace' by the way, doesn't automatically translate to 'cr*p defender'. On a separate note, it's surely undeniable to state that while Hull apparently 'never threatened', they did manage to hit the woodwork twice in the first half...... Albion In Staffs

1:42pm Tue 18 Feb 14

VegasSeagull says...

If you know that you can't run to catch a bus you leave home a few minutes early and walk, and then you hope that the bus wasn't also running early.
Our defenders are good at what they do but none of them are going to run to catch that bus, so they give themselves a little extra time by sitting a bit deeper. The problem with this tactic is, those that can run for the bus will get the odd remaining seat whilst you are left standing holding on to a handrail.
If we had defenders with the same skill sets but with an extra yard or two of pace, we wouldn't have a need to sit as deep as we often do.
If you know that you can't run to catch a bus you leave home a few minutes early and walk, and then you hope that the bus wasn't also running early. Our defenders are good at what they do but none of them are going to run to catch that bus, so they give themselves a little extra time by sitting a bit deeper. The problem with this tactic is, those that can run for the bus will get the odd remaining seat whilst you are left standing holding on to a handrail. If we had defenders with the same skill sets but with an extra yard or two of pace, we wouldn't have a need to sit as deep as we often do. VegasSeagull

3:40pm Tue 18 Feb 14

Aldrington Halt says...

Comments have been a little harsh towards 'supersub' KLL for last nights game, it seemed that he was indeed getting theatrical in front of the ref but apart from that and his running out of steam at the very end he looked like he was putting his all into it for the Albion. I remember a couple of weeks back Oscar saying he wasn't playing a whole game because he was having knee tendon issues, perhaps his frustration/lack of pace was down to this knee? Anyway we put up a commendable performance with our 2nd team against a side picked for performance and putting the last ten minutes aside, an entertaining game like last nights gives a teaser of good things to come UTA
Comments have been a little harsh towards 'supersub' KLL for last nights game, it seemed that he was indeed getting theatrical in front of the ref but apart from that and his running out of steam at the very end he looked like he was putting his all into it for the Albion. I remember a couple of weeks back Oscar saying he wasn't playing a whole game because he was having knee tendon issues, perhaps his frustration/lack of pace was down to this knee? Anyway we put up a commendable performance with our 2nd team against a side picked for performance and putting the last ten minutes aside, an entertaining game like last nights gives a teaser of good things to come UTA Aldrington Halt

3:44pm Tue 18 Feb 14

hong kong seagull says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
If you know that you can't run to catch a bus you leave home a few minutes early and walk, and then you hope that the bus wasn't also running early.
Our defenders are good at what they do but none of them are going to run to catch that bus, so they give themselves a little extra time by sitting a bit deeper. The problem with this tactic is, those that can run for the bus will get the odd remaining seat whilst you are left standing holding on to a handrail.
If we had defenders with the same skill sets but with an extra yard or two of pace, we wouldn't have a need to sit as deep as we often do.
So my question still remains - does Dunk have that extra yard?
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: If you know that you can't run to catch a bus you leave home a few minutes early and walk, and then you hope that the bus wasn't also running early. Our defenders are good at what they do but none of them are going to run to catch that bus, so they give themselves a little extra time by sitting a bit deeper. The problem with this tactic is, those that can run for the bus will get the odd remaining seat whilst you are left standing holding on to a handrail. If we had defenders with the same skill sets but with an extra yard or two of pace, we wouldn't have a need to sit as deep as we often do.[/p][/quote]So my question still remains - does Dunk have that extra yard? hong kong seagull

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree