Tubbs earns Crawley a point

Matt Tubbs celebrates at Swindon tonight. Picture by James Boardman

Matt Tubbs celebrates at Swindon tonight. Picture by James Boardman

First published in Sport
Last updated

Matt Tubbs scored his fourth goal in as many games to earn Crawley a well-deserved point at Swindon Town.

Swindon looked to be heading for a third straight home win in the Football League over Reds courtesy of a scrappy own goal from Joe Walsh just after half-time.

But Tubbs popped up to convert a cross from Josh Simpson with ten minutes to go to extend Crawley’s unbeaten run in League One to five games and lift them one place to 18th in the table.

The result was a fair one and if anything Crawley were perhaps slightly unfortunate not to claim their first ever win over Swindon in the league.

Boss John Gregory had made one change to the side which won 2-1 at Walsall on Saturday, Jamie Proctor coming in up front for the suspended Billy Clarke.

Proctor – who got the nod ahead of Rory Fallon and Sullay Kaikai – was immediately in the action and almost gave Reds the lead after just six minutes.

The striker pounced on a defensive error but his powerful shot from the edge of the area was tipped over by Tyrell Belford.

Proctor had claims for a penalty turned down in the 34th minute when he tumbled as he turned inside Darren Ward.

Swindon had to wait until the 36th minute for their first real sight of goal, Dany N’Guessan seeing his rising drive helped over the bar by Paul Jones.

N’Guessan should have given the Robins the lead four minutes before the interval when a long free-kick from Nathan Thompson reached him five yards out only for his weak effort to be easily claimed by Paul Jones.

Swindon took the lead three minutes after the break in scrappy fashion. Joe Walsh and Nathan Byrne challenged for Jack Bartram’s cross at the near post and the ball deflected in off the Reds defender.

N’Guessan had a chance to double the lead when he fired into the side netting following a swift counter-attack while at the other end Gary Dicker squandered a gilt-edged opportunity when he headed straight at Belford from a Mike Jones cross.

Reds did level ten minutes from time as Tubbs scored his fourth goal in as many games since signing on loan from Bournemouth.

Jones made a good save to deny N’Guessan and Crawley broke down the other end with Dicker crossing for Tubbs to fire home.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree