The ArgusLet's get a promotion on our CVs urges Andrews (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Let's get a promotion on our CVs urges Andrews

The Argus: Keith Andrews Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews has underlined Albion’s desire to make the Premier League.

Even though several players have no idea whether they will be at the Amex next term.

On-loan Andrews sits out the trip to his parent club Bolton on Saturday.

Bolton-born Dale Stephens is favourite to take his midfield berth.

Andrews said: “There’s no certainties that a lot of us are going to be here next year.

“But to get a promotion on your CV is something you don’t often get in your career.

“I’ve had a couple I’ve been fortunate to get and I’ve played in the Premier League and know what it’s all about.

“But the lads who haven’t are as hungry to get this promotion as the ones who have already played in the Premier League.”

Wigan moved back above the Seagulls into seventh place last night with a fortunate 1-0 home win over Sheffield Wednesday.

Jordi Gomez calmly converted a controversial 88th-minute penalty for the winner.

Latics keeper Ali Al Habsi saved a Leon Best spot kick in the first half. Al Habsi conceded the penalty himself but escaped a red card.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:42am Thu 13 Mar 14

bbb1969 says...

Wigan were very lucky and should have been down to 10 men. I think they will keep momentum just like us but we need Reading and Forest to slip up and they also have to play each other. Our last game against Forest may be key and I have a feeling this year will be right down to the wire.
Wigan were very lucky and should have been down to 10 men. I think they will keep momentum just like us but we need Reading and Forest to slip up and they also have to play each other. Our last game against Forest may be key and I have a feeling this year will be right down to the wire. bbb1969
  • Score: 4

7:39am Thu 13 Mar 14

Clean Sheet says...

Wigan is currently the form club, but they have a very challenging run in and half an eye on the FA Cup, so it is quite possible that they will start to show the strain. Forest are wobbling, so are QPR. If we can get 2 pts a game from now on in, then we should make the play offs.
Wigan is currently the form club, but they have a very challenging run in and half an eye on the FA Cup, so it is quite possible that they will start to show the strain. Forest are wobbling, so are QPR. If we can get 2 pts a game from now on in, then we should make the play offs. Clean Sheet
  • Score: 5

7:41am Thu 13 Mar 14

East of CrawleyDown says...

It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us.
It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us. East of CrawleyDown
  • Score: 2

8:46am Thu 13 Mar 14

farside says...

East of CrawleyDown wrote:
It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us.
We all said the same last year...it's a long season and highs and lows are inevitable.
[quote][p][bold]East of CrawleyDown[/bold] wrote: It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us.[/p][/quote]We all said the same last year...it's a long season and highs and lows are inevitable. farside
  • Score: 4

9:12am Thu 13 Mar 14

TheWerewolf says...

OG has done extremely well to get us in this position given the injuries we've had and the upheaval in taking over at a new club. Feels like we need to overhaul Reading and stay within 2 points of Forest coming into the last day. Hopefully we can do even better than this, but I'd take needing to win on the last day to get into the playoffs now. We can beat all the teams above us, so if we can get there then i really fancy our chances....bring it on!
OG has done extremely well to get us in this position given the injuries we've had and the upheaval in taking over at a new club. Feels like we need to overhaul Reading and stay within 2 points of Forest coming into the last day. Hopefully we can do even better than this, but I'd take needing to win on the last day to get into the playoffs now. We can beat all the teams above us, so if we can get there then i really fancy our chances....bring it on! TheWerewolf
  • Score: 9

9:17am Thu 13 Mar 14

Albion23 says...

CONSISTANSTY & CONVERTING CHANCES, are key. We must just concentrate on securing a win in our games concentrate & focus. Still a lot of ifs & maybeys yet.
CONSISTANSTY & CONVERTING CHANCES, are key. We must just concentrate on securing a win in our games concentrate & focus. Still a lot of ifs & maybeys yet. Albion23
  • Score: -1

9:19am Thu 13 Mar 14

Albion In Staffs says...

A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances.
Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess!
Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest.
Thanks.
A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances. Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess! Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest. Thanks. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 1

9:35am Thu 13 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances.
Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess!
Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest.
Thanks.
The reason is because Hull are a Premier League team. They are not, AFAICT, allowed to play on a Champions League night.
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances. Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess! Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest. Thanks.[/p][/quote]The reason is because Hull are a Premier League team. They are not, AFAICT, allowed to play on a Champions League night. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 5

11:05am Thu 13 Mar 14

AlanDuffy says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances.
Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess!
Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest.
Thanks.
I think it's because the Cup game was televised.
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances. Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess! Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest. Thanks.[/p][/quote]I think it's because the Cup game was televised. AlanDuffy
  • Score: 2

12:15pm Thu 13 Mar 14

the taffster says...

I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......
I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up...... the taffster
  • Score: 1

12:38pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

the taffster wrote:
I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......
Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams.
[quote][p][bold]the taffster[/bold] wrote: I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......[/p][/quote]Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 1

1:10pm Thu 13 Mar 14

fairweathersupporter says...

farside wrote:
East of CrawleyDown wrote: It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us.
We all said the same last year...it's a long season and highs and lows are inevitable.
We didn't just say the same, it is the same. If you look at the league this time last year, or at the same stage/amount of games played; we are in an almost identical position. I actually think (as i have said before) that man for man, we have a stronger squad than this time last season. Our lack of goals is due to our focus on defence and keeping the ball. We need to flood the midfield. It takes top class players (and athletes) to play this system to it's full but we ain't doing a bad job within budget and pay scale.
For all the bluster around playing more attacking football and getting the ball forward quicker, OG is finding the same limitations as Gus. The system makes us competitive against better sides and why people still go on about two forwards is beyond me. The infamous Plan B argument is still perhaps as relevant now as it was last season and before. Whilst substitutions have been timelier and high balls punted forward not now a capital offence; we still fail to kill lesser sides off by not adapting our counter attacking style to teams parking the bus or pressing us higher up the field. A lot of this is down to our players ability to adapt during the game but the coaching staff still haven't quite cracked it.
Anyway, i hope Mr Andrew's CV has another promotion on it come May.
[quote][p][bold]farside[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]East of CrawleyDown[/bold] wrote: It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us.[/p][/quote]We all said the same last year...it's a long season and highs and lows are inevitable.[/p][/quote]We didn't just say the same, it is the same. If you look at the league this time last year, or at the same stage/amount of games played; we are in an almost identical position. I actually think (as i have said before) that man for man, we have a stronger squad than this time last season. Our lack of goals is due to our focus on defence and keeping the ball. We need to flood the midfield. It takes top class players (and athletes) to play this system to it's full but we ain't doing a bad job within budget and pay scale. For all the bluster around playing more attacking football and getting the ball forward quicker, OG is finding the same limitations as Gus. The system makes us competitive against better sides and why people still go on about two forwards is beyond me. The infamous Plan B argument is still perhaps as relevant now as it was last season and before. Whilst substitutions have been timelier and high balls punted forward not now a capital offence; we still fail to kill lesser sides off by not adapting our counter attacking style to teams parking the bus or pressing us higher up the field. A lot of this is down to our players ability to adapt during the game but the coaching staff still haven't quite cracked it. Anyway, i hope Mr Andrew's CV has another promotion on it come May. fairweathersupporter
  • Score: 4

1:20pm Thu 13 Mar 14

VegasSeagull says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
the taffster wrote:
I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......
Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams.
20 players made redundant, four of them would be players we have on loan that would return to their parent clubs, 16 to go. Keep TK but probably both backup keepers go, now 14. Greer and Calde, neither have the required pace for the prem, down to 12. Say goodbye to Kemmy and Maksi, looking for just 10 more now.
JFC would struggle to make the bench in the prem, no point in him staying, 9, Kaz would fall to the rigors of top flight football, and that brings us to 8. Rodriguez, not showing enough to even get a contract with us should we not go up, 7. Bruno, so capable but prone to giving the ball away at times, in the prem that could hurt us, have to let him go, only 6 left. Spanish Dave, oh how I would love to see if he could make the grade but not consistent enough, 5.

You could argue against keeping Chicksen, Hoskins and Stephens but I think that they are young enough to make them worth holding onto for a year so my cull is done. Four on loan players go, because they have to, along with eleven others.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the taffster[/bold] wrote: I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......[/p][/quote]Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams.[/p][/quote]20 players made redundant, four of them would be players we have on loan that would return to their parent clubs, 16 to go. Keep TK but probably both backup keepers go, now 14. Greer and Calde, neither have the required pace for the prem, down to 12. Say goodbye to Kemmy and Maksi, looking for just 10 more now. JFC would struggle to make the bench in the prem, no point in him staying, 9, Kaz would fall to the rigors of top flight football, and that brings us to 8. Rodriguez, not showing enough to even get a contract with us should we not go up, 7. Bruno, so capable but prone to giving the ball away at times, in the prem that could hurt us, have to let him go, only 6 left. Spanish Dave, oh how I would love to see if he could make the grade but not consistent enough, 5. You could argue against keeping Chicksen, Hoskins and Stephens but I think that they are young enough to make them worth holding onto for a year so my cull is done. Four on loan players go, because they have to, along with eleven others. VegasSeagull
  • Score: -6

2:34pm Thu 13 Mar 14

the taffster says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
the taffster wrote:
I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......
Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams.
20 players made redundant, four of them would be players we have on loan that would return to their parent clubs, 16 to go. Keep TK but probably both backup keepers go, now 14. Greer and Calde, neither have the required pace for the prem, down to 12. Say goodbye to Kemmy and Maksi, looking for just 10 more now.
JFC would struggle to make the bench in the prem, no point in him staying, 9, Kaz would fall to the rigors of top flight football, and that brings us to 8. Rodriguez, not showing enough to even get a contract with us should we not go up, 7. Bruno, so capable but prone to giving the ball away at times, in the prem that could hurt us, have to let him go, only 6 left. Spanish Dave, oh how I would love to see if he could make the grade but not consistent enough, 5.

You could argue against keeping Chicksen, Hoskins and Stephens but I think that they are young enough to make them worth holding onto for a year so my cull is done. Four on loan players go, because they have to, along with eleven others.
my point is ...w.hy would they play their socks off to lose their jobs at the end of the season? they are comfortable in the championship collecting10k a week....
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the taffster[/bold] wrote: I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......[/p][/quote]Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams.[/p][/quote]20 players made redundant, four of them would be players we have on loan that would return to their parent clubs, 16 to go. Keep TK but probably both backup keepers go, now 14. Greer and Calde, neither have the required pace for the prem, down to 12. Say goodbye to Kemmy and Maksi, looking for just 10 more now. JFC would struggle to make the bench in the prem, no point in him staying, 9, Kaz would fall to the rigors of top flight football, and that brings us to 8. Rodriguez, not showing enough to even get a contract with us should we not go up, 7. Bruno, so capable but prone to giving the ball away at times, in the prem that could hurt us, have to let him go, only 6 left. Spanish Dave, oh how I would love to see if he could make the grade but not consistent enough, 5. You could argue against keeping Chicksen, Hoskins and Stephens but I think that they are young enough to make them worth holding onto for a year so my cull is done. Four on loan players go, because they have to, along with eleven others.[/p][/quote]my point is ...w.hy would they play their socks off to lose their jobs at the end of the season? they are comfortable in the championship collecting10k a week.... the taffster
  • Score: -2

4:34pm Thu 13 Mar 14

VegasSeagull says...

the taffster wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
the taffster wrote:
I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......
Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams.
20 players made redundant, four of them would be players we have on loan that would return to their parent clubs, 16 to go. Keep TK but probably both backup keepers go, now 14. Greer and Calde, neither have the required pace for the prem, down to 12. Say goodbye to Kemmy and Maksi, looking for just 10 more now.
JFC would struggle to make the bench in the prem, no point in him staying, 9, Kaz would fall to the rigors of top flight football, and that brings us to 8. Rodriguez, not showing enough to even get a contract with us should we not go up, 7. Bruno, so capable but prone to giving the ball away at times, in the prem that could hurt us, have to let him go, only 6 left. Spanish Dave, oh how I would love to see if he could make the grade but not consistent enough, 5.

You could argue against keeping Chicksen, Hoskins and Stephens but I think that they are young enough to make them worth holding onto for a year so my cull is done. Four on loan players go, because they have to, along with eleven others.
my point is ...w.hy would they play their socks off to lose their jobs at the end of the season? they are comfortable in the championship collecting10k a week....
That is a very contentious point you are trying to make Taffster. Do you really think that players fail to produce so as to hold on to a job, would that ploy even work. As mentioned by another, players that win promotion usually find new employers, three teams coming up are always on the look out for players with experience in our division. Players that are with us on loan, and help us get promoted, would be hoping for a contract from us. I just don't think that your point has any legs, but I accept that you are entitled to your opinion.
[quote][p][bold]the taffster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the taffster[/bold] wrote: I think its a double edged sword gaining promotion.....great for the club and sussex......but it will make about 20 players redundant....I reckon theres only about 5 that are capable of the step up......[/p][/quote]Players that have got a team promoted to the Premier League will always be able to gain employment with other Championship teams.[/p][/quote]20 players made redundant, four of them would be players we have on loan that would return to their parent clubs, 16 to go. Keep TK but probably both backup keepers go, now 14. Greer and Calde, neither have the required pace for the prem, down to 12. Say goodbye to Kemmy and Maksi, looking for just 10 more now. JFC would struggle to make the bench in the prem, no point in him staying, 9, Kaz would fall to the rigors of top flight football, and that brings us to 8. Rodriguez, not showing enough to even get a contract with us should we not go up, 7. Bruno, so capable but prone to giving the ball away at times, in the prem that could hurt us, have to let him go, only 6 left. Spanish Dave, oh how I would love to see if he could make the grade but not consistent enough, 5. You could argue against keeping Chicksen, Hoskins and Stephens but I think that they are young enough to make them worth holding onto for a year so my cull is done. Four on loan players go, because they have to, along with eleven others.[/p][/quote]my point is ...w.hy would they play their socks off to lose their jobs at the end of the season? they are comfortable in the championship collecting10k a week....[/p][/quote]That is a very contentious point you are trying to make Taffster. Do you really think that players fail to produce so as to hold on to a job, would that ploy even work. As mentioned by another, players that win promotion usually find new employers, three teams coming up are always on the look out for players with experience in our division. Players that are with us on loan, and help us get promoted, would be hoping for a contract from us. I just don't think that your point has any legs, but I accept that you are entitled to your opinion. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 1

9:23pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Mike Tiddy says...

See the Argus captured Andrews doing what he is best at, pointing!
See the Argus captured Andrews doing what he is best at, pointing! Mike Tiddy
  • Score: 0

11:02pm Thu 13 Mar 14

bmouthseagull says...

Andrews should concentrate on playing football instead of talking all the time and telling other players what to do.
Andrews should concentrate on playing football instead of talking all the time and telling other players what to do. bmouthseagull
  • Score: 0

7:43am Fri 14 Mar 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances.
Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess!
Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest.
Thanks.
The reason is because Hull are a Premier League team. They are not, AFAICT, allowed to play on a Champions League night.
Thank you.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: A little off-topic, but I can't fathom an obvious and justifiable reason why we were able to play QPR in the league on a Champions' League night but couldn't play Hull in the FA Cup under similar circumstances. Clearly there's a difference in competition - and immediate governing bodies - but to suggest it's completely illogical is an understatement. Surely the same considerations apply - or don't - so football's adminstration is clearly in a mess! Apologies this has no direct relevance to promotion, the Keith Andrews story or this thread, but it's been bugging me and it's now off my chest. Thanks.[/p][/quote]The reason is because Hull are a Premier League team. They are not, AFAICT, allowed to play on a Champions League night.[/p][/quote]Thank you. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 1

2:46am Sat 15 Mar 14

Captain Haddock says...

fairweathersupporter wrote:
farside wrote:
East of CrawleyDown wrote: It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us.
We all said the same last year...it's a long season and highs and lows are inevitable.
We didn't just say the same, it is the same. If you look at the league this time last year, or at the same stage/amount of games played; we are in an almost identical position. I actually think (as i have said before) that man for man, we have a stronger squad than this time last season. Our lack of goals is due to our focus on defence and keeping the ball. We need to flood the midfield. It takes top class players (and athletes) to play this system to it's full but we ain't doing a bad job within budget and pay scale.
For all the bluster around playing more attacking football and getting the ball forward quicker, OG is finding the same limitations as Gus. The system makes us competitive against better sides and why people still go on about two forwards is beyond me. The infamous Plan B argument is still perhaps as relevant now as it was last season and before. Whilst substitutions have been timelier and high balls punted forward not now a capital offence; we still fail to kill lesser sides off by not adapting our counter attacking style to teams parking the bus or pressing us higher up the field. A lot of this is down to our players ability to adapt during the game but the coaching staff still haven't quite cracked it.
Anyway, i hope Mr Andrew's CV has another promotion on it come May.
Nailed it!
[quote][p][bold]fairweathersupporter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]farside[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]East of CrawleyDown[/bold] wrote: It's a shame Albion have allowed so many points to slip away this season, we could have pretty well sealed a play off position by now instead of waiting until the last few games. Still at least there's a chance but we need some slip ups by other teams and no more inconsistency from us.[/p][/quote]We all said the same last year...it's a long season and highs and lows are inevitable.[/p][/quote]We didn't just say the same, it is the same. If you look at the league this time last year, or at the same stage/amount of games played; we are in an almost identical position. I actually think (as i have said before) that man for man, we have a stronger squad than this time last season. Our lack of goals is due to our focus on defence and keeping the ball. We need to flood the midfield. It takes top class players (and athletes) to play this system to it's full but we ain't doing a bad job within budget and pay scale. For all the bluster around playing more attacking football and getting the ball forward quicker, OG is finding the same limitations as Gus. The system makes us competitive against better sides and why people still go on about two forwards is beyond me. The infamous Plan B argument is still perhaps as relevant now as it was last season and before. Whilst substitutions have been timelier and high balls punted forward not now a capital offence; we still fail to kill lesser sides off by not adapting our counter attacking style to teams parking the bus or pressing us higher up the field. A lot of this is down to our players ability to adapt during the game but the coaching staff still haven't quite cracked it. Anyway, i hope Mr Andrew's CV has another promotion on it come May.[/p][/quote]Nailed it! Captain Haddock
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree