The ArgusBuckley never thought of forcing his way out of Albion (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Buckley never thought of forcing his way out of Albion

The Argus: Will Buckley never contemplated a transfer request when being courted by Premier League clubs Will Buckley never contemplated a transfer request when being courted by Premier League clubs

Will Buckley has revealed it never entered his head to force a move away from Albion to the Premier League.

Buckley and Liam Bridcutt were both targeted by former boss Gus Poyet during the January transfer window.

Bridcutt handed in a transfer request and the midfielder was eventually sold to Sunderland but Buckley remains committed to the Seagulls.

The fit-again winger, who signed a new four-and-a-half year contract 14 months ago, told The Argus: “Liam obviously had his reasons for doing that.

“He felt it was time to move on for himself and maybe for the club, I’m not sure, but I never would have had any intention of doing that.

“At the end of the day it’s the club’s decision. It’s kind of nothing to do with the player. If they say ‘No we want to keep you’ then that’s a good thing really because it shows how much the club rates you.

“I am grateful for what Brighton have given me, so I could never begrudge anything they do.

“I am contracted to do the best I can for Brighton and that’s my full intention at this minute and to try to get them into that Premier League.

“That is the big thing for everyone at the club. Everyone wants to play as high as they can. To do it with this club would be the best outcome.”

Buckley was also linked with arch-rivals Crystal Palace in January, when he was sidelined by a hamstring injury.

“I think there were a few bids and I believe also the club turned them down,” he said. “I wasn’t concentrating on that, I was just concentrating on getting back fit and playing and helping the team to where we want to be, which is obviously in the play-offs.

“It can be in the back of the mind when you see and hear speculation. For me, because I wasn’t playing, it was probably even more frustrating.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:56am Fri 21 Mar 14

albionfan33 says...

nice words there buckers. now fire us to the prem and make a star of yourself
nice words there buckers. now fire us to the prem and make a star of yourself albionfan33
  • Score: 35

6:58am Fri 21 Mar 14

Aldrington Halt says...

Skilled and Loyal....Double Whammy!!!! UTA
Skilled and Loyal....Double Whammy!!!! UTA Aldrington Halt
  • Score: 30

7:14am Fri 21 Mar 14

Cory and Trevor says...

Sound! They're good lads as well as players at our club.

I honestly thought WB had had his best days when he came back from injury before and was getting knocked off the ball and generally off the pace of games.
Glad to have been proven wrong on that, he's been a joy to watch lately. If these boys can stay fit we could storm the rest of the season...
Sound! They're good lads as well as players at our club. I honestly thought WB had had his best days when he came back from injury before and was getting knocked off the ball and generally off the pace of games. Glad to have been proven wrong on that, he's been a joy to watch lately. If these boys can stay fit we could storm the rest of the season... Cory and Trevor
  • Score: 28

8:59am Fri 21 Mar 14

Joel'sGrandad says...

Will obviously realises there's more to life than the next pay packet.
He can see the way the club is progressing and wants to be part of it.
He is benefitting from the medical facilities and staff at the Albion and with his superb attitude and ability will reap the benefits with us.
Start designing that legends banner now. UTA
Will obviously realises there's more to life than the next pay packet. He can see the way the club is progressing and wants to be part of it. He is benefitting from the medical facilities and staff at the Albion and with his superb attitude and ability will reap the benefits with us. Start designing that legends banner now. UTA Joel'sGrandad
  • Score: 6

9:00am Fri 21 Mar 14

Clean Sheet says...

Good man Will. Now you have found the goal again, please knock a few more in.
Good man Will. Now you have found the goal again, please knock a few more in. Clean Sheet
  • Score: 8

9:19am Fri 21 Mar 14

tug509 says...

Loyalty and respect from a top player to his club is rare these days ,thanks Will ,stick with us mate we`ll get there !. UTA
Loyalty and respect from a top player to his club is rare these days ,thanks Will ,stick with us mate we`ll get there !. UTA tug509
  • Score: 8

9:40am Fri 21 Mar 14

OldGull says...

On his day, for me Buckley is our most exciting player.

The one player that can pick up the ball and drive into the box to score.

3 more years on his contract, He will be playing for us in the prem.

UTA
On his day, for me Buckley is our most exciting player. The one player that can pick up the ball and drive into the box to score. 3 more years on his contract, He will be playing for us in the prem. UTA OldGull
  • Score: 14

10:06am Fri 21 Mar 14

B.W. says...

Great stuff from Will. Great attitude from a great player.
Great stuff from Will. Great attitude from a great player. B.W.
  • Score: 6

10:50am Fri 21 Mar 14

NIMBY hater says...

And that, Bridcutt, is the way true professionals behave.
And that, Bridcutt, is the way true professionals behave. NIMBY hater
  • Score: 5

11:38am Fri 21 Mar 14

B-hove says...

Will is that rare thing - a game changer, a genuine match winner. I said it in January and I'll say it again now: he is the one player from the 2013-14 squad we must not sell. Great that he appears to be of the same mind.
Will is that rare thing - a game changer, a genuine match winner. I said it in January and I'll say it again now: he is the one player from the 2013-14 squad we must not sell. Great that he appears to be of the same mind. B-hove
  • Score: 5

12:02pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Weploughandmow says...

Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading.
Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading. Weploughandmow
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Fri 21 Mar 14

ashgill says...

Weploughandmow wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading.
I find it tiresome that people like you try and play down the rivalry, Palace are our nearest and dearest I'm afraid, get used to it! It doesn't mean you have to hate them, I do, but that's a personal choice, but like it or not, they are our main rivals!
[quote][p][bold]Weploughandmow[/bold] wrote: Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading.[/p][/quote]I find it tiresome that people like you try and play down the rivalry, Palace are our nearest and dearest I'm afraid, get used to it! It doesn't mean you have to hate them, I do, but that's a personal choice, but like it or not, they are our main rivals! ashgill
  • Score: 4

1:08pm Fri 21 Mar 14

albionfan33 says...

I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered
I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered albionfan33
  • Score: 3

2:52pm Fri 21 Mar 14

dave from bexill says...

albionfan33 wrote:
I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered
Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace
[quote][p][bold]albionfan33[/bold] wrote: I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered[/p][/quote]Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace dave from bexill
  • Score: 3

4:24pm Fri 21 Mar 14

tug509 says...

dave from bexill wrote:
albionfan33 wrote:
I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered
Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace
Quite right ,they despise them with a passion ,their rivalry is far older than ours ,when it comes to croyden girls club . UTA UT Addicks
[quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]albionfan33[/bold] wrote: I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered[/p][/quote]Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace[/p][/quote]Quite right ,they despise them with a passion ,their rivalry is far older than ours ,when it comes to croyden girls club . UTA UT Addicks tug509
  • Score: 0

4:46pm Fri 21 Mar 14

albionfan33 says...

tug509 wrote:
dave from bexill wrote:
albionfan33 wrote:
I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered
Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace
Quite right ,they despise them with a passion ,their rivalry is far older than ours ,when it comes to croyden girls club . UTA UT Addicks
they only dislike palace from the ground share days when palace raped them i dont think there is anything other than that. i could be wrong though?
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]albionfan33[/bold] wrote: I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered[/p][/quote]Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace[/p][/quote]Quite right ,they despise them with a passion ,their rivalry is far older than ours ,when it comes to croyden girls club . UTA UT Addicks[/p][/quote]they only dislike palace from the ground share days when palace raped them i dont think there is anything other than that. i could be wrong though? albionfan33
  • Score: 1

5:04pm Fri 21 Mar 14

gordongull says...

The return of Will Buckley, seemingly to his best form, is likely to be the single most influential event in our quest for the play-offs.
Oscar has got it spot on including Will in his starting eleven. He is involved directly from the warm up, and not being suddenly called into action from a cold bench.
It is obvious from the interview that he is enjoying his football, is highly motivated, and is committed to the cause for the foreseeable future.
And he is already providing the goals from midfield that will be vital if we are to progress.
The return of Will Buckley, seemingly to his best form, is likely to be the single most influential event in our quest for the play-offs. Oscar has got it spot on including Will in his starting eleven. He is involved directly from the warm up, and not being suddenly called into action from a cold bench. It is obvious from the interview that he is enjoying his football, is highly motivated, and is committed to the cause for the foreseeable future. And he is already providing the goals from midfield that will be vital if we are to progress. gordongull
  • Score: 2

5:32pm Fri 21 Mar 14

tug509 says...

albionfan33 wrote:
tug509 wrote:
dave from bexill wrote:
albionfan33 wrote:
I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered
Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace
Quite right ,they despise them with a passion ,their rivalry is far older than ours ,when it comes to croyden girls club . UTA UT Addicks
they only dislike palace from the ground share days when palace raped them i dont think there is anything other than that. i could be wrong though?
Your spot on AF33 ,i honestly thought it was a long standing feud between them ,but as you say it was since the 80s groundshare ,but palarse are disliked by so many clubs ,it`s hard to keep up !.
[quote][p][bold]albionfan33[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]albionfan33[/bold] wrote: I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered[/p][/quote]Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace[/p][/quote]Quite right ,they despise them with a passion ,their rivalry is far older than ours ,when it comes to croyden girls club . UTA UT Addicks[/p][/quote]they only dislike palace from the ground share days when palace raped them i dont think there is anything other than that. i could be wrong though?[/p][/quote]Your spot on AF33 ,i honestly thought it was a long standing feud between them ,but as you say it was since the 80s groundshare ,but palarse are disliked by so many clubs ,it`s hard to keep up !. tug509
  • Score: 1

5:36pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Zamora251 says...

Buckley is quality, glad to see he is fit and playing and in my option one of the best players we have, c'mon Will please start banging in a few more goals and I'm sure he will score, keep doing what your doing Will Buckley, pure class mate, UP THE ALBION.
Buckley is quality, glad to see he is fit and playing and in my option one of the best players we have, c'mon Will please start banging in a few more goals and I'm sure he will score, keep doing what your doing Will Buckley, pure class mate, UP THE ALBION. Zamora251
  • Score: 2

5:46pm Fri 21 Mar 14

tug509 says...

gordongull wrote:
The return of Will Buckley, seemingly to his best form, is likely to be the single most influential event in our quest for the play-offs.
Oscar has got it spot on including Will in his starting eleven. He is involved directly from the warm up, and not being suddenly called into action from a cold bench.
It is obvious from the interview that he is enjoying his football, is highly motivated, and is committed to the cause for the foreseeable future.
And he is already providing the goals from midfield that will be vital if we are to progress.
You have described the importance of WB perfectly imho ,he really can be the difference between the POs or an early bath !. UTA
[quote][p][bold]gordongull[/bold] wrote: The return of Will Buckley, seemingly to his best form, is likely to be the single most influential event in our quest for the play-offs. Oscar has got it spot on including Will in his starting eleven. He is involved directly from the warm up, and not being suddenly called into action from a cold bench. It is obvious from the interview that he is enjoying his football, is highly motivated, and is committed to the cause for the foreseeable future. And he is already providing the goals from midfield that will be vital if we are to progress.[/p][/quote]You have described the importance of WB perfectly imho ,he really can be the difference between the POs or an early bath !. UTA tug509
  • Score: 2

6:11pm Fri 21 Mar 14

saraman says...

dave from bexill wrote:
albionfan33 wrote:
I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered
Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace
No, West Ham.
[quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]albionfan33[/bold] wrote: I wouldnt want to be one of those clubs like charlton or leicester that dont have a proper rivalry and to say that its not is just blinkered[/p][/quote]Historically I think you'll find that Charlton's main rival is C Palace[/p][/quote]No, West Ham. saraman
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Weploughandmow says...

ashgill wrote:
Weploughandmow wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading.
I find it tiresome that people like you try and play down the rivalry, Palace are our nearest and dearest I'm afraid, get used to it! It doesn't mean you have to hate them, I do, but that's a personal choice, but like it or not, they are our main rivals!
No I don't hate them, but I do enjoy playing them. It's the "arch" bit I don't get. Since 1960, say, how many seasons have we even been in the same league? Fifteen? Seventeen, perhaps? In fifty four years?? It was more a comment on the journalism than the rivalry, really. No offence intended.
[quote][p][bold]ashgill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Weploughandmow[/bold] wrote: Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading.[/p][/quote]I find it tiresome that people like you try and play down the rivalry, Palace are our nearest and dearest I'm afraid, get used to it! It doesn't mean you have to hate them, I do, but that's a personal choice, but like it or not, they are our main rivals![/p][/quote]No I don't hate them, but I do enjoy playing them. It's the "arch" bit I don't get. Since 1960, say, how many seasons have we even been in the same league? Fifteen? Seventeen, perhaps? In fifty four years?? It was more a comment on the journalism than the rivalry, really. No offence intended. Weploughandmow
  • Score: -2

12:05am Sat 22 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Weploughandmow wrote:
ashgill wrote:
Weploughandmow wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading.
I find it tiresome that people like you try and play down the rivalry, Palace are our nearest and dearest I'm afraid, get used to it! It doesn't mean you have to hate them, I do, but that's a personal choice, but like it or not, they are our main rivals!
No I don't hate them, but I do enjoy playing them. It's the "arch" bit I don't get. Since 1960, say, how many seasons have we even been in the same league? Fifteen? Seventeen, perhaps? In fifty four years?? It was more a comment on the journalism than the rivalry, really. No offence intended.
And the 'rivalry' only started in the 80s anyway, so it's hardly a long-standing thing.

Live and let live.
[quote][p][bold]Weploughandmow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ashgill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Weploughandmow[/bold] wrote: Is it just me, or does anyone else get tired of whenever Andy Naylor mentions Crystal Palace it always has the word "arch-rivals" in front of it? I find it very wearisome - and wildly inaccurate. Insofar as we have any "arch-rivals" at the moment I'd say it was Wigan, Nottm Forest and Reading.[/p][/quote]I find it tiresome that people like you try and play down the rivalry, Palace are our nearest and dearest I'm afraid, get used to it! It doesn't mean you have to hate them, I do, but that's a personal choice, but like it or not, they are our main rivals![/p][/quote]No I don't hate them, but I do enjoy playing them. It's the "arch" bit I don't get. Since 1960, say, how many seasons have we even been in the same league? Fifteen? Seventeen, perhaps? In fifty four years?? It was more a comment on the journalism than the rivalry, really. No offence intended.[/p][/quote]And the 'rivalry' only started in the 80s anyway, so it's hardly a long-standing thing. Live and let live. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree