Albion urged to take play-off race to the wire

Stephen Ward wants the Seagulls to stay in contention for a top six finish

Stephen Ward wants the Seagulls to stay in contention for a top six finish

First published in Sport
Last updated
by , Chief sports reporter

Stephen Ward has urged Albion to take their challenge for promotion to the wire.

The Seagulls head into tonight’s visit to Sheffield Wednesday three points and two places outside the play-offs.

They have only been in the top six for a week all season, in January, but have been hovering on the fringes since the end of November.

Left-back Ward said: “It might take one result, one goal. The most important thing is to make sure you are only one result away from being in the play-offs because it can all change, even on the last day.

“You can be outside the play-offs and jump in, you can be inside the play-offs and be leapfrogged.

“The important thing is not to get too far outside it. Being one result outside is what you have really got to aim to do if you are not inside that top six.

“We have seemed to do that all season. Unfortunately we have not got into the top six that much but there is a long way to go yet. You want to give yourselves a chance going into that last day.”

David Lopez is back in midfield contention, with Dale Stephens ruled out by illness, as Albion aim for their first victory at Hillsborough in 101 years of trying.

Their final day hosts, fellow challengers Nottingham Forest, sacked Billy Davies yesterday after a winless eight-match run.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:32am Tue 25 Mar 14

Albion In Staffs says...

A couple of absentees tonight through injury - again. What worries me more though is the observation that Kemy Augustien is apparently injured..... HOW? I am concerned that there appear to be too many avoidable pulls and niggles; a fact illustrated by the current status of a man who rarely plays...
On a lighter note off topic, interesting to see Forest look to have been turned over by Warnock. Looked they believed it was a done deal and now they have egg on their face, including the denial of the previously announced loan deal for Lee Peltier from Warnock's old club Leeds.
If we keep up the pace - a fact that is by no means certain - there could be one less team to worry about as Forest go into a free fall of apathy...
A couple of absentees tonight through injury - again. What worries me more though is the observation that Kemy Augustien is apparently injured..... HOW? I am concerned that there appear to be too many avoidable pulls and niggles; a fact illustrated by the current status of a man who rarely plays... On a lighter note off topic, interesting to see Forest look to have been turned over by Warnock. Looked they believed it was a done deal and now they have egg on their face, including the denial of the previously announced loan deal for Lee Peltier from Warnock's old club Leeds. If we keep up the pace - a fact that is by no means certain - there could be one less team to worry about as Forest go into a free fall of apathy... Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 4

7:10am Tue 25 Mar 14

bbb1969 says...

I disagree with Ward, we need to be in the playoff6 and ensure we are safely there so we do not have to go down to the wire. Don't want to be going to Forest needing a win to get into the top 6 or stay in the top 6. Agree with the above post about Augustien and some advised me on another post that injuries happen in training.
The Argus should interview Augustien and actually get a meaty story rather than an interview with Greer about fans wanting Albion not to pass anymore or the sacking of the Forest manager.
Anyway hope the team have got thier glives cos it's cold up in Yorkshire.
I disagree with Ward, we need to be in the playoff6 and ensure we are safely there so we do not have to go down to the wire. Don't want to be going to Forest needing a win to get into the top 6 or stay in the top 6. Agree with the above post about Augustien and some advised me on another post that injuries happen in training. The Argus should interview Augustien and actually get a meaty story rather than an interview with Greer about fans wanting Albion not to pass anymore or the sacking of the Forest manager. Anyway hope the team have got thier glives cos it's cold up in Yorkshire. bbb1969
  • Score: 0

7:13am Tue 25 Mar 14

impose our game gull says...

The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches.


UTA!!
The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!! impose our game gull
  • Score: 8

8:09am Tue 25 Mar 14

Albion In Staffs says...

bbb1969 wrote:
I disagree with Ward, we need to be in the playoff6 and ensure we are safely there so we do not have to go down to the wire. Don't want to be going to Forest needing a win to get into the top 6 or stay in the top 6. Agree with the above post about Augustien and some advised me on another post that injuries happen in training.
The Argus should interview Augustien and actually get a meaty story rather than an interview with Greer about fans wanting Albion not to pass anymore or the sacking of the Forest manager.
Anyway hope the team have got thier glives cos it's cold up in Yorkshire.
I think your disagreement should be with The Argus for how they've interpreted what Ward actually said?
The headline is stupid. What self-respecting pro is going to advocate taking it "to the wire" if there was an option?
For me, Ward is saying that keeping in touch and not giving up is a bare minimum under the circumstances, but the headline and general story suggest it's his preference! If the headline reflected a view that 'it could' go down to the wire, i don't think anyone would disagree and if you look at what Ward says with that in mind, it's a fair appraisal?
In Ward's defence I think on this occasion, it's definitely a case of blaming the messenger.
[quote][p][bold]bbb1969[/bold] wrote: I disagree with Ward, we need to be in the playoff6 and ensure we are safely there so we do not have to go down to the wire. Don't want to be going to Forest needing a win to get into the top 6 or stay in the top 6. Agree with the above post about Augustien and some advised me on another post that injuries happen in training. The Argus should interview Augustien and actually get a meaty story rather than an interview with Greer about fans wanting Albion not to pass anymore or the sacking of the Forest manager. Anyway hope the team have got thier glives cos it's cold up in Yorkshire.[/p][/quote]I think your disagreement should be with The Argus for how they've interpreted what Ward actually said? The headline is stupid. What self-respecting pro is going to advocate taking it "to the wire" if there was an option? For me, Ward is saying that keeping in touch and not giving up is a bare minimum under the circumstances, but the headline and general story suggest it's his preference! If the headline reflected a view that 'it could' go down to the wire, i don't think anyone would disagree and if you look at what Ward says with that in mind, it's a fair appraisal? In Ward's defence I think on this occasion, it's definitely a case of blaming the messenger. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 3

9:11am Tue 25 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

impose our game gull wrote:
The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches.


UTA!!
We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.
[quote][p][bold]impose our game gull[/bold] wrote: The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!![/p][/quote]We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 4

3:03pm Tue 25 Mar 14

SeagullOverSelsey says...

Squad for tonight:
TK
Bruno Greer Upson Ward
Andrews
Buckley Ince Lingard Lualua
Ulloa
Subs.Ank Dunk Calde JFK Lopez March Rodriguez
Squad for tonight: TK Bruno Greer Upson Ward Andrews Buckley Ince Lingard Lualua Ulloa Subs.Ank Dunk Calde JFK Lopez March Rodriguez SeagullOverSelsey
  • Score: 0

3:57pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Uckfield Seagull says...

I know it wil never happen but I just that one day before the end of the season, we play 2 holding centre midfielders and then have Buckley, Lua Lua flying in midfield with Lingard and Ulloa up top, I know this will get plenty of thumbs down but its something I would like to see, with 2 holding midfielders we wouldnt exactly be defensively weak.
I know it wil never happen but I just that one day before the end of the season, we play 2 holding centre midfielders and then have Buckley, Lua Lua flying in midfield with Lingard and Ulloa up top, I know this will get plenty of thumbs down but its something I would like to see, with 2 holding midfielders we wouldnt exactly be defensively weak. Uckfield Seagull
  • Score: 2

4:12pm Tue 25 Mar 14

bruce beckett says...

Have a feeling that Lopez will start tonight as he is our only "fresh" midfielder with Orlandi and Stephens injured, and Agustien injured/unfit/out of favour. Take your pick.
Have a feeling that Lopez will start tonight as he is our only "fresh" midfielder with Orlandi and Stephens injured, and Agustien injured/unfit/out of favour. Take your pick. bruce beckett
  • Score: 1

5:14pm Tue 25 Mar 14

ballantrrae says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
impose our game gull wrote:
The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches.


UTA!!
We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.
Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded.
Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1.
In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ?
I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did.
Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter
, Westander 17 and other regular Posters ?
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]impose our game gull[/bold] wrote: The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!![/p][/quote]We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.[/p][/quote]Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded. Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1. In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ? I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did. Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter , Westander 17 and other regular Posters ? ballantrrae
  • Score: 3

5:34pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

ballantrrae wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
impose our game gull wrote:
The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches.


UTA!!
We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.
Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded.
Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1.
In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ?
I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did.
Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter

, Westander 17 and other regular Posters ?
Defensive or not, we still seem to have our fair share of attempts on goal. It may be however that fewer of these are taken from closer than the penalty spot, hence the lower number of goals. But many on here have berated the team for not shooting from outside the area, so they're kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't.
[quote][p][bold]ballantrrae[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]impose our game gull[/bold] wrote: The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!![/p][/quote]We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.[/p][/quote]Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded. Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1. In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ? I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did. Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter , Westander 17 and other regular Posters ?[/p][/quote]Defensive or not, we still seem to have our fair share of attempts on goal. It may be however that fewer of these are taken from closer than the penalty spot, hence the lower number of goals. But many on here have berated the team for not shooting from outside the area, so they're kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 2

6:00pm Tue 25 Mar 14

JeffLomer says...

Some good away support will go along way to show the lads were right behind them, I'm in Sheffield are you!!
Probably not!!
Some good away support will go along way to show the lads were right behind them, I'm in Sheffield are you!! Probably not!! JeffLomer
  • Score: 3

6:55pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Baldseagull says...

impose our game gull wrote:
The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches.


UTA!!
Most of the teams above us have shot more and scored more, Reading, however, shoot less, but have scored nearly 20 more goals than us.
We have very similar stats to Wigan in terms of shooting, they have had five more shots at goal than us all season, but they have scored 11 times more than us.
It is as Oscar keeps saying, we need to be more clinical.
We have hit the woodwork 13 times this season, more than any other side in the division except QPR who also have hit the frame 13 times. Reading have only hit the frame twice all season.
[quote][p][bold]impose our game gull[/bold] wrote: The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!![/p][/quote]Most of the teams above us have shot more and scored more, Reading, however, shoot less, but have scored nearly 20 more goals than us. We have very similar stats to Wigan in terms of shooting, they have had five more shots at goal than us all season, but they have scored 11 times more than us. It is as Oscar keeps saying, we need to be more clinical. We have hit the woodwork 13 times this season, more than any other side in the division except QPR who also have hit the frame 13 times. Reading have only hit the frame twice all season. Baldseagull
  • Score: 1

7:12pm Tue 25 Mar 14

gordongull says...

Going to the wire is probably the best we can hope for.
Wigan and Reading will take some shifting, and we can't write off Forest or Ipswich.
I would settle for needing something from our last game.
Going to the wire is probably the best we can hope for. Wigan and Reading will take some shifting, and we can't write off Forest or Ipswich. I would settle for needing something from our last game. gordongull
  • Score: 1

7:23pm Tue 25 Mar 14

ballantrrae says...

ballantrrae wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
impose our game gull wrote:
The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches.


UTA!!
We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.
Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded.
Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1.
In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ?
I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did.
Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter

, Westander 17 and other regular Posters ?
I see that Ulloa is now not playing tonight because of illness and that Calde is also unwell so that we can only name 6 subs.
Still waiting for comments on whether we should make any Loan signings before Thursday's cut-off - see my posting above.
[quote][p][bold]ballantrrae[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]impose our game gull[/bold] wrote: The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!![/p][/quote]We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.[/p][/quote]Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded. Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1. In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ? I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did. Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter , Westander 17 and other regular Posters ?[/p][/quote]I see that Ulloa is now not playing tonight because of illness and that Calde is also unwell so that we can only name 6 subs. Still waiting for comments on whether we should make any Loan signings before Thursday's cut-off - see my posting above. ballantrrae
  • Score: 2

7:37pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Captain Haddock says...

ballantrrae wrote:
ballantrrae wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
impose our game gull wrote: The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!!
We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.
Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded. Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1. In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ? I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did. Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter , Westander 17 and other regular Posters ?
I see that Ulloa is now not playing tonight because of illness and that Calde is also unwell so that we can only name 6 subs. Still waiting for comments on whether we should make any Loan signings before Thursday's cut-off - see my posting above.
I agree with you Ballantrae. We could do with one or two more players in back up. Re: strikers we forgot David Rodriguez! who is now going to be the replacement for tonight.
It appears despite the injury crisis we've had to endure all season, we now have to suffer this blimmin' virus too!!! First Upson, then Stephens, and now Ulloa and Calderón.
[quote][p][bold]ballantrrae[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ballantrrae[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]impose our game gull[/bold] wrote: The way to do this is to shoot more. Be more attack minded in midfield earlier in the match. Especially in home matches. Away form fine/ good. Home form ....? ... it's been letting us down in our aspirations - so alter the style and mindset to more positive, earlier on in matches. UTA!![/p][/quote]We're just one shot per game off being the second highest shooters in the division, so it's not the amount that's the problem, it's the amount that go in.[/p][/quote]Ex-pat Arnie and Impose our game gull I think it is the accuracy of our shooting that is the problem. However I agree with Impose our game gull that we tend to be a bit too defence minded. Actually I think Oscar's 4-3-3 set up (not 4-3-3 per se) really suits a counter attacking team but when any side has about 65% possession as we did against Ipswich it becomes difficult to counter attack simply because with that much possession we are 'pressing' most of the time. This may account for our away form being at least play-off class and our home form being disappointing. Interestingly against QPR the other day we only had about 44 -45% possession but won 2-0. As another poster said the other day Oscar's 4-3-3 system quite often ends up being 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1. In view of the 'Loan window' closing in 2 days time I wonder how many Posters think that we should bring in some players on loan to help our push for the play-offs ? I appreciate there are budgetary issues but with no fit alternative to Ulloa and Hoskins and CMS still not ready for consideration and with our midfield down to the last 3 or 4 if you include Lopez I would feel more relaxed if we did acquire some extra faces. There is also the fact that we only have 3 CBs also to be considered. I should stress that I am not expecting the club to sign anyone but I would be pleased if they did. Thoughts anyone like VegasSeagull, Tug509, SMF20, MBTS, Fratsomrover, Captain Haddock, Dave from Bexhill, Hovite, Farside, Clean Sheet, Fairweathersupporter , Westander 17 and other regular Posters ?[/p][/quote]I see that Ulloa is now not playing tonight because of illness and that Calde is also unwell so that we can only name 6 subs. Still waiting for comments on whether we should make any Loan signings before Thursday's cut-off - see my posting above.[/p][/quote]I agree with you Ballantrae. We could do with one or two more players in back up. Re: strikers we forgot David Rodriguez! who is now going to be the replacement for tonight. It appears despite the injury crisis we've had to endure all season, we now have to suffer this blimmin' virus too!!! First Upson, then Stephens, and now Ulloa and Calderón. Captain Haddock
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree