Albion made a "calculated choice" not to include Rohan Ince in the squad for Monday's 1-1 draw against Blackpool.
The young midfielder missed out on a place on the bench as he gets back up to speed.
Ince has not played since suffering a dead leg in the first half of the 3-3 draw at Blackburn at the beginning of the month.
Assistant head coach Nathan Jones said: "We made a calculated choice and he's coming back. He's not at full pelt yet but this week he is sort of getting back to where he was.
"At times when people miss out it's unfortunate, not anything to do with how they play, because some people are training well and are in decent form.
"Sometimes they miss out because you need a goalkeeper, we have a certain amount of defensive players on the bench, so it was just a calculated decision really."
- Transfer deadline day liveblog
- Maksimenko urged to make a name for himself on loan
- Albion could be set for reunion as Oscar weighs up Watford move
- Stockdale on a high even though Albion drop points at home
- Hyypia's words of advice for Albion goal hero Dunk