Albion made a "calculated choice" not to include Rohan Ince in the squad for Monday's 1-1 draw against Blackpool.
The young midfielder missed out on a place on the bench as he gets back up to speed.
Ince has not played since suffering a dead leg in the first half of the 3-3 draw at Blackburn at the beginning of the month.
Assistant head coach Nathan Jones said: "We made a calculated choice and he's coming back. He's not at full pelt yet but this week he is sort of getting back to where he was.
"At times when people miss out it's unfortunate, not anything to do with how they play, because some people are training well and are in decent form.
"Sometimes they miss out because you need a goalkeeper, we have a certain amount of defensive players on the bench, so it was just a calculated decision really."
- Forster-Caskey fancies it. But who'll be on the spot if Albion get a penalty today?
- Big interview - Colunga wants to rediscover the hunger after leaving his comfort zone
- Decisions, decisions! Who would you send out against the Addicks?
- Gardner targets more magical Amex memories as he hopes fo home debut
- Baldock admits he has 'unfinished business' in the Championship