Upson takes top award

Matt Upson enjoys his winning goal at Middlesbrough this season

Matt Upson enjoys his winning goal at Middlesbrough this season

First published in Sport by , Chief sports reporter

Matt Upson has been named Albion’s player of the season.

He topped the fans’ poll, continuing the recent domination by central defenders of the coveted prize.

Upson is the seventh to land the award in the last 12 seasons. He joins a roll of honour which also includes Danny Cullip, Guy Butters, Adam Virgo, Paul McShane, Tommy Elphick and Adam El-Abd.

Upson, 35 earlier this month, has been a model of consistency throughout the campaign.

His absence from last Friday’s win against Yeovil at the Amex with an ankle tendon injury was only the third Championship match he has missed all season.

The former England international has forged a dependable partnership with captain Gordon Greer since arriving from Stoke, initially on loan at the end of the January 2013 transfer window and then permanently last summer on a one-year contract after the Potters released him.

Upson, who also played in the Premier League for Arsenal, Birmingham and West Ham, is likely to be offered another one-year deal to keep him at the Amex.

Greer said: "He’s a fantastic player and I’m really enjoying playing beside him. He’s been great for us. He brings a lot of experience to the team and the experienced players try to take the pressure off the younger players.”

Upson also topped an Argus website poll with 57% of the votes, well ahead of on-loan Wolves left-back Stephen Ward and goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

He was presented with his prize at Albion’s players’ awards dinner at the Amex last night.

Comments (63)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:46am Wed 30 Apr 14

JeffLomer says...

Well deserved Matt congratulations
Up the Albion!!!!
Well deserved Matt congratulations Up the Albion!!!! JeffLomer
  • Score: 17

8:05am Wed 30 Apr 14

mark by the sea says...

JeffLomer wrote:
Well deserved Matt congratulations
Up the Albion!!!!
Absolutely , a class player .
[quote][p][bold]JeffLomer[/bold] wrote: Well deserved Matt congratulations Up the Albion!!!![/p][/quote]Absolutely , a class player . mark by the sea
  • Score: 10

8:27am Wed 30 Apr 14

Clean Sheet says...

Yep, has been a model pro and a fantastic part of our team.
Yep, has been a model pro and a fantastic part of our team. Clean Sheet
  • Score: 12

8:38am Wed 30 Apr 14

Carlas mum says...

Yes well done to all the winners, however it would have been nice if all the supporters could have shown their appreciation and not just those that can afford to pay £70 for a meal.
Yes well done to all the winners, however it would have been nice if all the supporters could have shown their appreciation and not just those that can afford to pay £70 for a meal. Carlas mum
  • Score: 13

9:03am Wed 30 Apr 14

OldGull says...

Class, well deserved
Class, well deserved OldGull
  • Score: 8

9:25am Wed 30 Apr 14

graham w says...

Very worthy winner, has been the most consistent player over this last season adding real quality to the back four..Well done matty....
Very worthy winner, has been the most consistent player over this last season adding real quality to the back four..Well done matty.... graham w
  • Score: 8

9:36am Wed 30 Apr 14

brightonup says...

Yes.
Matthew Upson has been a great acquisition; I am hoping he can continue with us for another season, regardless of which division we will be in.
Yes. Matthew Upson has been a great acquisition; I am hoping he can continue with us for another season, regardless of which division we will be in. brightonup
  • Score: 8

9:48am Wed 30 Apr 14

rockypaul says...

Yep well deserved, my one two, hope we sign him fo anther year and also land stephen Ward....
Yep well deserved, my one two, hope we sign him fo anther year and also land stephen Ward.... rockypaul
  • Score: 6

12:01pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Was Tony Bloom at the event?
Was Tony Bloom at the event? VegasSeagull
  • Score: -1

12:05pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Captain Haddock says...

Live on Sky Sat'dee.
Live on Sky Sat'dee. Captain Haddock
  • Score: 2

12:06pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Captain Haddock says...

Captain Haddock wrote:
Live on Sky Sat'dee.
(Our game at Snotts Florist.)
[quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: Live on Sky Sat'dee.[/p][/quote](Our game at Snotts Florist.) Captain Haddock
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Captain Haddock wrote:
Captain Haddock wrote:
Live on Sky Sat'dee.
(Our game at Snotts Florist.)
If Sky have selected our match to broadcast I just hope BeIn Sports have also picked it up, that way I get to watch on TV rather than PC.
[quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: Live on Sky Sat'dee.[/p][/quote](Our game at Snotts Florist.)[/p][/quote]If Sky have selected our match to broadcast I just hope BeIn Sports have also picked it up, that way I get to watch on TV rather than PC. VegasSeagull
  • Score: -5

12:22pm Wed 30 Apr 14

fairweathersupporter says...

Great season by a class act. Hopeully the 'list compositors' on here will not write him off so easily for next season. Not that thier (or my) opinion matters of course but i am always amused how the blindingly obvious escapes some people. 35: Yes. Over the hill: Not on the evidence of this season.
Great season by a class act. Hopeully the 'list compositors' on here will not write him off so easily for next season. Not that thier (or my) opinion matters of course but i am always amused how the blindingly obvious escapes some people. 35: Yes. Over the hill: Not on the evidence of this season. fairweathersupporter
  • Score: 7

12:55pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Diliusdog2 says...

Brighton and Reading on Sky! Just been confirmed
Brighton and Reading on Sky! Just been confirmed Diliusdog2
  • Score: 5

12:56pm Wed 30 Apr 14

gilbertthecat says...

fairweathersupporter wrote:
Great season by a class act. Hopeully the 'list compositors' on here will not write him off so easily for next season. Not that thier (or my) opinion matters of course but i am always amused how the blindingly obvious escapes some people. 35: Yes. Over the hill: Not on the evidence of this season.
This!
[quote][p][bold]fairweathersupporter[/bold] wrote: Great season by a class act. Hopeully the 'list compositors' on here will not write him off so easily for next season. Not that thier (or my) opinion matters of course but i am always amused how the blindingly obvious escapes some people. 35: Yes. Over the hill: Not on the evidence of this season.[/p][/quote]This! gilbertthecat
  • Score: 1

2:09pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Steveg1958 says...

Carlas mum wrote:
Yes well done to all the winners, however it would have been nice if all the supporters could have shown their appreciation and not just those that can afford to pay £70 for a meal.
Absolutely, why couldn't the cub have announced this at the last home match so all us "ordinary" fans could have cheered the guy, instead of just those that could afford a seat at the dinner. !!!! or are us "customers" not worthy enough, Mr Barber ??????
[quote][p][bold]Carlas mum[/bold] wrote: Yes well done to all the winners, however it would have been nice if all the supporters could have shown their appreciation and not just those that can afford to pay £70 for a meal.[/p][/quote]Absolutely, why couldn't the cub have announced this at the last home match so all us "ordinary" fans could have cheered the guy, instead of just those that could afford a seat at the dinner. !!!! or are us "customers" not worthy enough, Mr Barber ?????? Steveg1958
  • Score: 6

3:17pm Wed 30 Apr 14

OldGull says...

Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
7th cd?
what happened to the 1st 6 ?
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]7th cd? what happened to the 1st 6 ? OldGull
  • Score: -1

3:40pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -1

3:57pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Free money wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.
You will find the club was not 100% going to give Upson a deal next season but thank god it looks like they have changed their minds now.Dunks looked so poor in the games apart from one they could see we would have no chance next season.Even Mr,Upson will find it a lot more hard next season if he does sign.Believe me there are a few prem-league sides that would still like him for back-up still.What ever you may think money talks in the real world.
I am not sure how that works. 'Upson will find it harder next year, but prem clubs might want him for backup,' if he is good enough to have a role as back up in the prem, why will he find it harder in the Champ Div next year?
Are you taking about, 'harder,' to physicaly play, or harder to be in the starting eleven?
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.[/p][/quote]You will find the club was not 100% going to give Upson a deal next season but thank god it looks like they have changed their minds now.Dunks looked so poor in the games apart from one they could see we would have no chance next season.Even Mr,Upson will find it a lot more hard next season if he does sign.Believe me there are a few prem-league sides that would still like him for back-up still.What ever you may think money talks in the real world.[/p][/quote]I am not sure how that works. 'Upson will find it harder next year, but prem clubs might want him for backup,' if he is good enough to have a role as back up in the prem, why will he find it harder in the Champ Div next year? Are you taking about, 'harder,' to physicaly play, or harder to be in the starting eleven? VegasSeagull
  • Score: -2

4:05pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Free money wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.
You anser yourself Ex-pat.Thats why the club sold Elphick & Cook in the first place.But Elphick & Cook have got their heads down and become good reg championship players.Dunk plays just 4 games in a season,and the one against Yeovil just a poor league one side you think his wonderful.The guy should be at the top of his game at his age.
Prior to his injury Crofts was having his best year since joining Brighton, and how old is he?
Players develop at different speeds, if an eighteen year old can break into a prem club team, does that mean that all eighteen yearolds should be able to do the same?
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.[/p][/quote]You anser yourself Ex-pat.Thats why the club sold Elphick & Cook in the first place.But Elphick & Cook have got their heads down and become good reg championship players.Dunk plays just 4 games in a season,and the one against Yeovil just a poor league one side you think his wonderful.The guy should be at the top of his game at his age.[/p][/quote]Prior to his injury Crofts was having his best year since joining Brighton, and how old is he? Players develop at different speeds, if an eighteen year old can break into a prem club team, does that mean that all eighteen yearolds should be able to do the same? VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

4:22pm Wed 30 Apr 14

albionbloke says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.
You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie?
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.[/p][/quote]You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie? albionbloke
  • Score: 0

4:23pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago.
Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 2

4:37pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

albionbloke wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.
You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie?
I'm trying to reply to someone without taking notice of who I am replying to. I'm just making a valid contribution to the story, which is basically that Upson is a fantastic player and long may he stay with us.

Others have suggested getting shot purely based on his age, but there is no logic to saying goodbye to the reigning POTY.
[quote][p][bold]albionbloke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.[/p][/quote]You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie?[/p][/quote]I'm trying to reply to someone without taking notice of who I am replying to. I'm just making a valid contribution to the story, which is basically that Upson is a fantastic player and long may he stay with us. Others have suggested getting shot purely based on his age, but there is no logic to saying goodbye to the reigning POTY. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

4:46pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago.
Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 1

4:49pm Wed 30 Apr 14

brightonup says...

Same old same old.... once again!
Same old same old.... once again! brightonup
  • Score: 1

4:55pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
albionbloke wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.
You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie?
I'm trying to reply to someone without taking notice of who I am replying to. I'm just making a valid contribution to the story, which is basically that Upson is a fantastic player and long may he stay with us.

Others have suggested getting shot purely based on his age, but there is no logic to saying goodbye to the reigning POTY.
If Terry can continue at Chelsea at the same age as Upson, I see no reason why Upson can not continue with Brighton, there is a gulf of difference between the demands on the pitch.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]albionbloke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.[/p][/quote]You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie?[/p][/quote]I'm trying to reply to someone without taking notice of who I am replying to. I'm just making a valid contribution to the story, which is basically that Upson is a fantastic player and long may he stay with us. Others have suggested getting shot purely based on his age, but there is no logic to saying goodbye to the reigning POTY.[/p][/quote]If Terry can continue at Chelsea at the same age as Upson, I see no reason why Upson can not continue with Brighton, there is a gulf of difference between the demands on the pitch. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Wed 30 Apr 14

JeffLomer says...

Free money wrote:
If clubs like Hull really thought Dunk was prem-league they would be in like a shot with a 2 or 3 million bid.Clubs like Hull,Palace,Norwich,

WHU,Fullham,WHA can't play big boys games with Chelsea and MUFC.So they all need to be super good at finding good championship talent.Your Mr,Dunk is not on that list.
Shut up no one cares what you think off dunk
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: If clubs like Hull really thought Dunk was prem-league they would be in like a shot with a 2 or 3 million bid.Clubs like Hull,Palace,Norwich, WHU,Fullham,WHA can't play big boys games with Chelsea and MUFC.So they all need to be super good at finding good championship talent.Your Mr,Dunk is not on that list.[/p][/quote]Shut up no one cares what you think off dunk JeffLomer
  • Score: 8

4:59pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Free money wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
albionbloke wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.
Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.
You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie?
I'm trying to reply to someone without taking notice of who I am replying to. I'm just making a valid contribution to the story, which is basically that Upson is a fantastic player and long may he stay with us.

Others have suggested getting shot purely based on his age, but there is no logic to saying goodbye to the reigning POTY.
Just get a room in Worthing and do us all a favour lol haha.
Why move to Worthing when he can live with me out here?

Seriously Freeloaders, I thought we'd moved on from this. Call it quits?
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]albionbloke[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Take note the wonderful Mr,Dunk.Even Elphick & El-Abd got in the long list above and we was able to sell both.Elphick & Cook both now playing reg championship football at the same age and being watched by prem-league clubs.Lets face it the 7th cd does not look good on the club.It just goes to show why so many real fans that really go to games find it so dire to watch.[/p][/quote]Not trying to start an argument, but if Bournemouth had Greer and Upson then neither Elphick nor Cook would be getting a game either.[/p][/quote]You're feeding it again! Just can't resist can you Arnie?[/p][/quote]I'm trying to reply to someone without taking notice of who I am replying to. I'm just making a valid contribution to the story, which is basically that Upson is a fantastic player and long may he stay with us. Others have suggested getting shot purely based on his age, but there is no logic to saying goodbye to the reigning POTY.[/p][/quote]Just get a room in Worthing and do us all a favour lol haha.[/p][/quote]Why move to Worthing when he can live with me out here? Seriously Freeloaders, I thought we'd moved on from this. Call it quits? Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago.
Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.
My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.[/p][/quote]Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.[/p][/quote]My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 3

5:08pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

fairweathersupporter wrote:
Great season by a class act. Hopeully the 'list compositors' on here will not write him off so easily for next season. Not that thier (or my) opinion matters of course but i am always amused how the blindingly obvious escapes some people. 35: Yes. Over the hill: Not on the evidence of this season.
Agreed - I can't see the logic in pensioning off someone who has just won POTY. He's not going to deteriorate hugely in the close season, so if his body holds out, keep him contracted. Class. Always has been and always will be.
[quote][p][bold]fairweathersupporter[/bold] wrote: Great season by a class act. Hopeully the 'list compositors' on here will not write him off so easily for next season. Not that thier (or my) opinion matters of course but i am always amused how the blindingly obvious escapes some people. 35: Yes. Over the hill: Not on the evidence of this season.[/p][/quote]Agreed - I can't see the logic in pensioning off someone who has just won POTY. He's not going to deteriorate hugely in the close season, so if his body holds out, keep him contracted. Class. Always has been and always will be. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 5

5:17pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago.
Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.
My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact.
You sad little numpty the guy was just pointing out to the next day when i asked how he was feeling and why he didn't play.You really do think you are a big man on this little site don't you sad man.Try getting a life you sad little man and some real friends.
when you make yourself look foolish you resort to insults, I expect nothing more
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.[/p][/quote]Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.[/p][/quote]My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact.[/p][/quote]You sad little numpty the guy was just pointing out to the next day when i asked how he was feeling and why he didn't play.You really do think you are a big man on this little site don't you sad man.Try getting a life you sad little man and some real friends.[/p][/quote]when you make yourself look foolish you resort to insults, I expect nothing more VegasSeagull
  • Score: 6

5:21pm Wed 30 Apr 14

JeffLomer says...

Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago.
Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.
My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact.
You sad little numpty the guy was just pointing out to the next day when i asked how he was feeling and why he didn't play.You really do think you are a big man on this little site don't you sad man.Try getting a life you sad little man and some real friends.
Free money

Are you off to the game on Saturday, if you are tell me were your be cus I'll need a word with you!!
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.[/p][/quote]Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.[/p][/quote]My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact.[/p][/quote]You sad little numpty the guy was just pointing out to the next day when i asked how he was feeling and why he didn't play.You really do think you are a big man on this little site don't you sad man.Try getting a life you sad little man and some real friends.[/p][/quote]Free money Are you off to the game on Saturday, if you are tell me were your be cus I'll need a word with you!! JeffLomer
  • Score: 3

5:56pm Wed 30 Apr 14

dave from bexill says...

Goodness me,it's like a junior school playground on here sometimes.Actually, thats not fair on the school kids.
Goodness me,it's like a junior school playground on here sometimes.Actually, thats not fair on the school kids. dave from bexill
  • Score: 10

6:25pm Wed 30 Apr 14

bbb1969 says...

As long as the players give it there all and are looking to improve then they will get my support. Upson is class and will be with us next year; he keeps himself fit and as long as not partying too much then he will be fine.
I am mire concerned for Lopez who has inly delivered a couple of times this season and Augustien; what has happened to him.

For the games Dunk has played then he has done very well but wont iron out his creases unless he gets more regular game time. His poisive contribution totally outweighs any opportunities he has to work on.

A back up goal keeper is also required so I hope Walton can progress from the DS quickly.
As long as the players give it there all and are looking to improve then they will get my support. Upson is class and will be with us next year; he keeps himself fit and as long as not partying too much then he will be fine. I am mire concerned for Lopez who has inly delivered a couple of times this season and Augustien; what has happened to him. For the games Dunk has played then he has done very well but wont iron out his creases unless he gets more regular game time. His poisive contribution totally outweighs any opportunities he has to work on. A back up goal keeper is also required so I hope Walton can progress from the DS quickly. bbb1969
  • Score: 1

7:04pm Wed 30 Apr 14

OldGull says...

Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago.
Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.
He came to us to get playing time.
He did not want to end his career warming the subs bench.
Now you are saying he would, just to get extra money.
Some players do hunt the money..
Others prefer to earn slightly less to continue their 1st team involvement.
Upson is one of the latter.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.[/p][/quote]Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.[/p][/quote]He came to us to get playing time. He did not want to end his career warming the subs bench. Now you are saying he would, just to get extra money. Some players do hunt the money.. Others prefer to earn slightly less to continue their 1st team involvement. Upson is one of the latter. OldGull
  • Score: 4

7:17pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Alfie T says...

Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?
Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge? Alfie T
  • Score: 1

7:57pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Alfie T says...

Free money wrote:
Alfie T wrote:
Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?
Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.
And he was ?
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?[/p][/quote]Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.[/p][/quote]And he was ? Alfie T
  • Score: 2

8:03pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Norfolk and way says...

Upson has done well but now virtually at the end of his career, it is high time Bloom released some of the money he is sitting on and went on a summer spending spree, we CAN afford it and we want excitement because the club is going stale around him.
Upson has done well but now virtually at the end of his career, it is high time Bloom released some of the money he is sitting on and went on a summer spending spree, we CAN afford it and we want excitement because the club is going stale around him. Norfolk and way
  • Score: -5

8:04pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Free money wrote:
Alfie T wrote:
Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?
Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.
So you were born several years before your father played for the Albion? Did he play for anyone else before he moved to the Amex, or was he very young when you were born?
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?[/p][/quote]Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.[/p][/quote]So you were born several years before your father played for the Albion? Did he play for anyone else before he moved to the Amex, or was he very young when you were born? Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

8:09pm Wed 30 Apr 14

JeffLomer says...

Free money wrote:
JeffLomer wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago.
Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.
My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact.
You sad little numpty the guy was just pointing out to the next day when i asked how he was feeling and why he didn't play.You really do think you are a big man on this little site don't you sad man.Try getting a life you sad little man and some real friends.
Free money

Are you off to the game on Saturday, if you are tell me were your be cus I'll need a word with you!!
Wow you big hard man.Find Warren after the game and he will point me out ok.
No I've made a sign for you to wear, says on it i LOVE LEWIS DUNK!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JeffLomer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.[/p][/quote]Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.[/p][/quote]My point was, you said that you were told on saturday that Upson was in pain, just about everyone else on here knew that long before saturday, I guess you had to be told because you were unaware of the fact.[/p][/quote]You sad little numpty the guy was just pointing out to the next day when i asked how he was feeling and why he didn't play.You really do think you are a big man on this little site don't you sad man.Try getting a life you sad little man and some real friends.[/p][/quote]Free money Are you off to the game on Saturday, if you are tell me were your be cus I'll need a word with you!![/p][/quote]Wow you big hard man.Find Warren after the game and he will point me out ok.[/p][/quote]No I've made a sign for you to wear, says on it i LOVE LEWIS DUNK!!!! JeffLomer
  • Score: 4

8:14pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Alfie T says...

Alfie T wrote:
Free money wrote:
Alfie T wrote:
Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?
Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.
And he was ?
And he was ?
[quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?[/p][/quote]Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.[/p][/quote]And he was ?[/p][/quote]And he was ? Alfie T
  • Score: 1

8:17pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Free money wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Alfie T wrote:
Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?
Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.
So you were born several years before your father played for the Albion? Did he play for anyone else before he moved to the Amex, or was he very young when you were born?
LOL so you now know my real age haha.Get a life Ex-pat.
Er, you mentioned last year how old you were... but that doesn't answer the question. Was he very young when you were born or did he not start his career at the Albion? This is genuine intrigue, not a wind-up.

You also mentioned last week how you were not going to pick fights with me again as - and I quote, "you are a real fan". That would be real good.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?[/p][/quote]Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.[/p][/quote]So you were born several years before your father played for the Albion? Did he play for anyone else before he moved to the Amex, or was he very young when you were born?[/p][/quote]LOL so you now know my real age haha.Get a life Ex-pat.[/p][/quote]Er, you mentioned last year how old you were... but that doesn't answer the question. Was he very young when you were born or did he not start his career at the Albion? This is genuine intrigue, not a wind-up. You also mentioned last week how you were not going to pick fights with me again as - and I quote, "you are a real fan". That would be real good. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 1

8:26pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Free money wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Alfie T wrote:
Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?
Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.
So you were born several years before your father played for the Albion? Did he play for anyone else before he moved to the Amex, or was he very young when you were born?
LOL so you now know my real age haha.Get a life Ex-pat.
Er, you mentioned last year how old you were... but that doesn't answer the question. Was he very young when you were born or did he not start his career at the Albion? This is genuine intrigue, not a wind-up.

You also mentioned last week how you were not going to pick fights with me again as - and I quote, "you are a real fan". That would be real good.
Look Ex-pat it maybe genuine intrigue from you but do you really think im gona put my dead fathers name on this site just for a load of nutters to tell me he was S--t. I think not.
I don't think anyone would call him that, even if he was still alive.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Wonder if Freeloaders is a ginger ex player with a grudge?[/p][/quote]Grow up you small minded child.My father played for the Albion in the 70s & 80s if you must know.[/p][/quote]So you were born several years before your father played for the Albion? Did he play for anyone else before he moved to the Amex, or was he very young when you were born?[/p][/quote]LOL so you now know my real age haha.Get a life Ex-pat.[/p][/quote]Er, you mentioned last year how old you were... but that doesn't answer the question. Was he very young when you were born or did he not start his career at the Albion? This is genuine intrigue, not a wind-up. You also mentioned last week how you were not going to pick fights with me again as - and I quote, "you are a real fan". That would be real good.[/p][/quote]Look Ex-pat it maybe genuine intrigue from you but do you really think im gona put my dead fathers name on this site just for a load of nutters to tell me he was S--t. I think not.[/p][/quote]I don't think anyone would call him that, even if he was still alive. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 2

8:34pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

I'm just intrigued. I can find not player who was at the club in 1980 who was old enough to have a son of your age and has since died. Most of the squad would have been about 10 when you were born.

Anyway, I can see we're not going to get anything out of you so I'm giving this one up.
I'm just intrigued. I can find not player who was at the club in 1980 who was old enough to have a son of your age and has since died. Most of the squad would have been about 10 when you were born. Anyway, I can see we're not going to get anything out of you so I'm giving this one up. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 1

8:35pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Free money wrote:
Anyway you and Vegas can watch the game on Sunday its on sky.Im not having a dig with this post just saying.
If I wait until Sunday won't I have missed it?
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Anyway you and Vegas can watch the game on Sunday its on sky.Im not having a dig with this post just saying.[/p][/quote]If I wait until Sunday won't I have missed it? Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Free money wrote:
Anyway you and Vegas can watch the game on Sunday its on sky.Im not having a dig with this post just saying.
If I wait until Sunday won't I have missed it?
No Sky here, Fox Sports, ESPN Sports and Be-In Sports. Champ Div matches are shown live only on Be-In Sports, no news as yet whether they are taking the match.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: Anyway you and Vegas can watch the game on Sunday its on sky.Im not having a dig with this post just saying.[/p][/quote]If I wait until Sunday won't I have missed it?[/p][/quote]No Sky here, Fox Sports, ESPN Sports and Be-In Sports. Champ Div matches are shown live only on Be-In Sports, no news as yet whether they are taking the match. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 1

9:21pm Wed 30 Apr 14

VegasSeagull says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
I'm just intrigued. I can find not player who was at the club in 1980 who was old enough to have a son of your age and has since died. Most of the squad would have been about 10 when you were born.

Anyway, I can see we're not going to get anything out of you so I'm giving this one up.
Tony Towner might fit the bill, born in 1955 and was just 18 when signed up by Brighton. As he might have played for the youth team before getting his contract, that could qualify him . I seem to recall that he had family members that lived at the Cardsen School end of Carden Avenue.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: I'm just intrigued. I can find not player who was at the club in 1980 who was old enough to have a son of your age and has since died. Most of the squad would have been about 10 when you were born. Anyway, I can see we're not going to get anything out of you so I'm giving this one up.[/p][/quote]Tony Towner might fit the bill, born in 1955 and was just 18 when signed up by Brighton. As he might have played for the youth team before getting his contract, that could qualify him . I seem to recall that he had family members that lived at the Cardsen School end of Carden Avenue. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 1

9:28pm Wed 30 Apr 14

gordongull says...

Ex-pat Arnie, you could start an argument in an empty room!
And you started this one with - ''Not trying to start an argument, but...
If you had brains you'd be dangerous.
Ex-pat Arnie, you could start an argument in an empty room! And you started this one with - ''Not trying to start an argument, but... If you had brains you'd be dangerous. gordongull
  • Score: 2

9:46pm Wed 30 Apr 14

gordongull says...

And Vegas, I'm surprised at you doing research on the basis of what a Wind-Up Merchant has told you. You are in danger of appearing as naive as EPA.
And Vegas, I'm surprised at you doing research on the basis of what a Wind-Up Merchant has told you. You are in danger of appearing as naive as EPA. gordongull
  • Score: 0

9:54pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

gordongull wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie, you could start an argument in an empty room!
And you started this one with - ''Not trying to start an argument, but...
If you had brains you'd be dangerous.
I only said "not trying to start an argument" because, you know, I wanted it to be clear I wasn't trying to start an argument.

But excellent use of irony there. You were being ironic weren't you?
[quote][p][bold]gordongull[/bold] wrote: Ex-pat Arnie, you could start an argument in an empty room! And you started this one with - ''Not trying to start an argument, but... If you had brains you'd be dangerous.[/p][/quote]I only said "not trying to start an argument" because, you know, I wanted it to be clear I wasn't trying to start an argument. But excellent use of irony there. You were being ironic weren't you? Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -3

9:56pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Naïve I ain't.
Naïve I ain't. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -3

10:09pm Wed 30 Apr 14

gordongull says...

You are exactly what the WUM's need.
You fall for it every time.
You are exactly what the WUM's need. You fall for it every time. gordongull
  • Score: 3

10:12pm Wed 30 Apr 14

OldGull says...

I think we really need to IGNORE Free whatsit
Some of his claims are becoming more fanciful by the day.

His father played fpr the club,
He is best mates with Dick Knight & Warren Aspinall
and yet he slags off virtually everyone at the club
And runs a personal HATE campaign against Lewis Dunk.

If all that were true I am sure both Dick & Warren would have words with him about is Dunk phobia.

He will read this and call me a sad little man.
I can live with that,

I just hope he is happy in his twilight world.
I think we really need to IGNORE Free whatsit Some of his claims are becoming more fanciful by the day. His father played fpr the club, He is best mates with Dick Knight & Warren Aspinall and yet he slags off virtually everyone at the club And runs a personal HATE campaign against Lewis Dunk. If all that were true I am sure both Dick & Warren would have words with him about is Dunk phobia. He will read this and call me a sad little man. I can live with that, I just hope he is happy in his twilight world. OldGull
  • Score: 3

10:29pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

gordongull wrote:
You are exactly what the WUM's need.
You fall for it every time.
I'm not falling for anything. Trust me, I know what I'm doing, just ignore it all.
[quote][p][bold]gordongull[/bold] wrote: You are exactly what the WUM's need. You fall for it every time.[/p][/quote]I'm not falling for anything. Trust me, I know what I'm doing, just ignore it all. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -1

10:33pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Does anyone fancy taking about Upson again? From an inauspicious debut to our most consistently excellent performer. Age is just a number, so long as he stays fit, and as he looks after himself we should easily be able to get another excellent season out of him. Not to mention how much the youngsters well learn from him, both on and of the pitch.
Does anyone fancy taking about Upson again? From an inauspicious debut to our most consistently excellent performer. Age is just a number, so long as he stays fit, and as he looks after himself we should easily be able to get another excellent season out of him. Not to mention how much the youngsters well learn from him, both on and of the pitch. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 1

11:03pm Wed 30 Apr 14

brightonup says...

We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine.

I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one.

The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make....
We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine. I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one. The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make.... brightonup
  • Score: 5

11:23pm Wed 30 Apr 14

OldGull says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Does anyone fancy taking about Upson again? From an inauspicious debut to our most consistently excellent performer. Age is just a number, so long as he stays fit, and as he looks after himself we should easily be able to get another excellent season out of him. Not to mention how much the youngsters well learn from him, both on and of the pitch.
Agreed Arnie
Definitely good for another season
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: Does anyone fancy taking about Upson again? From an inauspicious debut to our most consistently excellent performer. Age is just a number, so long as he stays fit, and as he looks after himself we should easily be able to get another excellent season out of him. Not to mention how much the youngsters well learn from him, both on and of the pitch.[/p][/quote]Agreed Arnie Definitely good for another season OldGull
  • Score: 1

11:55pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

OldGull wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Does anyone fancy taking about Upson again? From an inauspicious debut to our most consistently excellent performer. Age is just a number, so long as he stays fit, and as he looks after himself we should easily be able to get another excellent season out of him. Not to mention how much the youngsters well learn from him, both on and of the pitch.
Agreed Arnie
Definitely good for another season
I wonder if he's started taking his coaching badges yet? I don't necessarily see him as a head coach/manager kinda guy, but maybe one of the back-room coaches, passing on his experience and knowledge.
[quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: Does anyone fancy taking about Upson again? From an inauspicious debut to our most consistently excellent performer. Age is just a number, so long as he stays fit, and as he looks after himself we should easily be able to get another excellent season out of him. Not to mention how much the youngsters well learn from him, both on and of the pitch.[/p][/quote]Agreed Arnie Definitely good for another season[/p][/quote]I wonder if he's started taking his coaching badges yet? I don't necessarily see him as a head coach/manager kinda guy, but maybe one of the back-room coaches, passing on his experience and knowledge. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

1:33am Thu 1 May 14

VegasSeagull says...

brightonup wrote:
We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine.

I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one.

The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make....
I am with you, as of right now, no more replies to the jerks such as Freeloader, The Norfolk dude, and any other obvious wind up merchant, this is my pledge.

Arnie, this might be the right time to take a similar stance, you aint never going to convert any of them, I know, I tried last year.
[quote][p][bold]brightonup[/bold] wrote: We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine. I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one. The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make....[/p][/quote]I am with you, as of right now, no more replies to the jerks such as Freeloader, The Norfolk dude, and any other obvious wind up merchant, this is my pledge. Arnie, this might be the right time to take a similar stance, you aint never going to convert any of them, I know, I tried last year. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 4

3:19am Thu 1 May 14

gilbertthecat says...

Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.
We've had MU for a whole season plus a loan period. Now he's looking at a potential new contract for next season. I agree he might like more money if offered and that a PL club would be somewhere he'd like to go to again. However, if he was that well thought of, or put another way, his age was not considered an issue, then such a PL club would already have come in for him and we wouldn't have got him in the first place on contract. So I'm optimistic that he'll not be rushing off anywhere over the summer period.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.[/p][/quote]Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.[/p][/quote]We've had MU for a whole season plus a loan period. Now he's looking at a potential new contract for next season. I agree he might like more money if offered and that a PL club would be somewhere he'd like to go to again. However, if he was that well thought of, or put another way, his age was not considered an issue, then such a PL club would already have come in for him and we wouldn't have got him in the first place on contract. So I'm optimistic that he'll not be rushing off anywhere over the summer period. gilbertthecat
  • Score: 4

6:42am Thu 1 May 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Free money wrote:
gilbertthecat wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Free money wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.
Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.
Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.
Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.
We've had MU for a whole season plus a loan period. Now he's looking at a potential new contract for next season. I agree he might like more money if offered and that a PL club would be somewhere he'd like to go to again. However, if he was that well thought of, or put another way, his age was not considered an issue, then such a PL club would already have come in for him and we wouldn't have got him in the first place on contract. So I'm optimistic that he'll not be rushing off anywhere over the summer period.
2 very sad men that still don't understand a footballer would move for money lol.Just like they once said Poyet,Oatway,El-Abd were pure blue and white lol haha.Plus the Hinsh family lol haha.We should be looking at better and Dunk has no part of this or bigger clubs would have already picked up on it.The staff at a prem-league club like Hull ain't that stupid.
Just a small football point within this pathetic thread of nonsense, but the preoccupation with assessing a player's apparent lack of quality based on lack of interest from PL clubs is farcical.
The circular argument says that we will always have inept players because PL clubs don't want the ones who are here and PL clubs will immediately take the one's who are any good. Apparently then, we're destined to be damned with poor players which is a ridiculous notion.
I didn't see too many PL clubs pinching players from Leicester or Burnley in January... Grow up.
[quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gilbertthecat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Free money[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I think that it is common knowledge about Upson being in pain, he took a knock to his ankle, not unlike John Terry, who is the same age as Upson, took a knock to his foot just a week or so ago. Any injury to the foot takes time to heal, and will be painfull, I don't see either of the injuries keeping either of the players out come next season.[/p][/quote]Yes it is common knowledge and your point???? Im just pointing out it will be even more painfull next season for the guy.As for John Terry his time at Chelsea is coming to a end but his so super rich i don't see him dropping down the leagues.[/p][/quote]Terry is currently negotiating a new contract with Chelsea, he will end his playing days with them.[/p][/quote]Like MBTS said yesterday thanks for pointing out what we already know.You don't say.But players like Upson still want more money and will play for who ever offers the most money at the end of the day.Who can blame them.[/p][/quote]We've had MU for a whole season plus a loan period. Now he's looking at a potential new contract for next season. I agree he might like more money if offered and that a PL club would be somewhere he'd like to go to again. However, if he was that well thought of, or put another way, his age was not considered an issue, then such a PL club would already have come in for him and we wouldn't have got him in the first place on contract. So I'm optimistic that he'll not be rushing off anywhere over the summer period.[/p][/quote]2 very sad men that still don't understand a footballer would move for money lol.Just like they once said Poyet,Oatway,El-Abd were pure blue and white lol haha.Plus the Hinsh family lol haha.We should be looking at better and Dunk has no part of this or bigger clubs would have already picked up on it.The staff at a prem-league club like Hull ain't that stupid.[/p][/quote]Just a small football point within this pathetic thread of nonsense, but the preoccupation with assessing a player's apparent lack of quality based on lack of interest from PL clubs is farcical. The circular argument says that we will always have inept players because PL clubs don't want the ones who are here and PL clubs will immediately take the one's who are any good. Apparently then, we're destined to be damned with poor players which is a ridiculous notion. I didn't see too many PL clubs pinching players from Leicester or Burnley in January... Grow up. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 5

2:47pm Thu 1 May 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
brightonup wrote:
We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine.

I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one.

The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make....
I am with you, as of right now, no more replies to the jerks such as Freeloader, The Norfolk dude, and any other obvious wind up merchant, this is my pledge.

Arnie, this might be the right time to take a similar stance, you aint never going to convert any of them, I know, I tried last year.
Fair comment - experiment failed. Hands up.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonup[/bold] wrote: We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine. I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one. The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make....[/p][/quote]I am with you, as of right now, no more replies to the jerks such as Freeloader, The Norfolk dude, and any other obvious wind up merchant, this is my pledge. Arnie, this might be the right time to take a similar stance, you aint never going to convert any of them, I know, I tried last year.[/p][/quote]Fair comment - experiment failed. Hands up. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 4

4:24pm Thu 1 May 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
brightonup wrote:
We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine.

I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one.

The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make....
I am with you, as of right now, no more replies to the jerks such as Freeloader, The Norfolk dude, and any other obvious wind up merchant, this is my pledge.

Arnie, this might be the right time to take a similar stance, you aint never going to convert any of them, I know, I tried last year.
Fair comment - experiment failed. Hands up.
Count me in. Generally speaking, when it goes t*ts up, I disappear, although I have disappointed myself at times.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonup[/bold] wrote: We are all entitled to voice our opinions. Here's mine. I am a supporter of the Albion and have been for many years. I look at this site for fresh information and lively opinion about the club and players I support. I find troll comment crass, repetitive and dispiriting. I don't think I am the only one. The only thing for which I have more contempt than fishing trips is naive, predictable biting. I realise my comment is as repetitive as the endless boring exchanges but I would really like to help create a site worth visiting and contributing to. Trolls will always fish. Do dullards always have to respond? Respond to this simple question if you have a constructive point to make....[/p][/quote]I am with you, as of right now, no more replies to the jerks such as Freeloader, The Norfolk dude, and any other obvious wind up merchant, this is my pledge. Arnie, this might be the right time to take a similar stance, you aint never going to convert any of them, I know, I tried last year.[/p][/quote]Fair comment - experiment failed. Hands up.[/p][/quote]Count me in. Generally speaking, when it goes t*ts up, I disappear, although I have disappointed myself at times. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree