Wasteful Crawley held at home by Bristol City

First published in Sport by

Crawley Town had to settle for a point in their final game of the season at home to Bristol City.

Jamie Proctor gave Reds the lead in the first half when he turned home a shot from Andy Drury for his seventh goal of the season.

Reds had numerous chances to extend their lead and were left to rue their profligacy when Simon Gillett fired in an equaliser 17 minutes into the second half.

Victory would have lifted Crawley into the top half of the League One table but they finished the campaign in 14th place after failing to find a winner.

Reds were forced into two changes from the team which was held to a goalless draw at home by Carlisle in midweek.

Sergio Torres broke his wrist in that match so was ruled out for what would have been his farewell game for the club while Joe Walsh picked up an ankle injury.

In came Mike Jones and Josh Simpson but there was no return for Paul Connolly after completing his five-match ban due to a groin injury.

Neither team had anything but pride to play for but Crawley came out of the blocks much the quicker in the first half.

Jamie Proctor twice sent efforts just wide of a post while Simon Moore got down well to turn a shot from Mike Jones behind for a corner.

The pressure finally told in the 25th minute as Crawley took a deserved lead. Gwion Edwards’s cross was only cleared as far as Andy Drury and his low drive was turned past Moore at close range by Proctor.

City had arrived in good form but barely posed a threat in the opening 45 minutes. The only chance they did create fell to the prolific Sam Baldock but he scuffed his shot straight at Paul Jones from six yards.

Crawley continued to pose City problems after the break and had four good chances to extend their lead.

Moore saved with his legs from Proctor, Edwards saw a shot deflected wide and then Mark Connolly’s header was just off target.

The best of the opportunities fell to Matt Tubbs but the usually clinical striker curled his effort wide of the far post.

Reds were made to pay for their wastefulness as City equalised in the 62nd minute.

Gillett took advantage of some slack defending as he was allowed time and space to fire in a shot from 20 yards which went in off a post.

Crawley (4-4-2): P Jones; Simpson, M Connolly, McFadzean, Sadler; M Jones (Monakana, 71)Bulman, Drury, Edwards; Proctor (Fallon, 74), Tubbs. Subs not used: Maddison, Essam, Dicker, Isaacs, Richefond.

Bristol City (3-5-2): Moore; Nosworthy, Osborne, Williams; Moloney (Wagstaff, 62), Elliott, Gillett (Kelly, 73), Pack, Cunningham (Emmanuel-Thomas, 82); Barnett, Baldock. Subs not used: Richards, Carey, Pearson, Burns.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree