Albion can derive inspiration from a former favourite, their bitter rivals and another seaside resort in their bid to reach the Premier League.
Three clubs in the last ten years have won the Championship play-offs after finishing sixth.
Crystal Palace managed it in 2003-04, the season Albion were promoted themselves in the League One play-offs.
Palace's victims in the final, West Ham, made amends the following season after finishing sixth, Bobby Zamora scoring the winner against Preston.
The last club to make it from sixth were Blackpool in 2009-10. Like Albion they were outside the play-offs for most of the season, only rising back into 6th with a win in their penultimate home game - against Nottingham Forest.
Derby are hoping for a repeat of 2006-07, when they won the play-offs after finishing third. The team finishing third has triumphed in five of the last eight years.
History does not favour QPR. No side finishing fourth have won the play-offs since Charlton in 1997-98.
- Loan move will help Maksimenko's career on quiet day for Albion on deadline day
- Wiggins honoured to defend Tour of Britain title
- Gregory promises loan signings for Crawley
- Transfer deadline day liveblog
- Maksimenko urged to make a name for himself on loan