Derby did the double over Albion this season.
But there was very little between the teams in both games.
Chris Martin’s double gave the Rams a 2-1 success at the Amex in August.
Albion led through Leo Ulloa, who later hit the inside of the post.
They also what looked very good penalty claims turned down by Andy D’Urso at 1-1 when Paul Coutts appeared to handle David Lopez’s on-target free-kick.
Patrick Bamford went on as sub to score his first goal for Derby as they beat the Seagulls 1-0 at the iPro Stadium in January.
But the hosts needed super saves from Lee Grant from Matt Upson and Ulloa to secure a 1-0 win in a game of few chances.
Rams boss Steve McClaren admitted: "Brighton should have got something against us here in January. They are a very good team.
"They scored in the last minute of their match against Nottingham Forest on Saturday and overtook Reading to get in the play-offs.
"So they will be buoyant and we have got to deal with that."
- Transfer deadline day liveblog
- Maksimenko urged to make a name for himself on loan
- Albion could be set for reunion as Oscar weighs up Watford move
- Hyypia's words of advice for Albion goal hero Dunk
- Stockdale on a high even though Albion drop points at home