Albion’s play-off dream was well and truly extinguished as they were swept aside at Derby today.
The Seagulls went down 4-1 in the second leg of their semi-final to lose 6-2 on aggregate.
Oscar Garcia’s men seemed to have made an assured start as they looked to wipe out their 2-1 defeat in the home meeting.
But their hopes were badly hit by the departure of Gordon Greer to injury and an opening Derby goal.
Will Hughes guided home an expert finish on 34 minutes to smooth the Rams’ passage to Wembley.
Realistic hopes of an unlikely Seagulls comeback took a big blow when Lee Grant blocked from the clean-through Leo Ulloa just before half-time.
Chris Martin’s close range finish on 56 minutes more or less killed off the contest.
Impressive midfielder George Thorne added a superbly volleyed third and Jeff Hendrick hit the fourth.
Kazenga LuaLua drilled a late consolation.
- Bloom: We have squad to go up
- Oscar turns to a familiar face
- Oscar meets his new colleagues after clinching Watford job
- Loan move will help Maksimenko's career on quiet day for Albion on deadline day
- Football round-up: Hillians go top, Bognor claim first win