Albion fans have been told their new signing turned down a lucrative move to Russia so he could sign at the Amex.
Congo midfielder Nzuzi Toko is preparing for his first English pre-season after agreeing to join as a free agent on July 1.
Now his agent Maweshi Nkabuthusa has revealed he could have gone to Russia – and pocketed more money.
Albion beat opposition from Spartak Moscow as well Bundesliga outfits Augsburg and Hannover and Verona’s two clubs Hellas and Chievo to sign the 23-year-old midfielder.
Nkabuthusa told The Argus: “We decided to go to Brighton because he can learn more, play more and he can look forward in his career.
“It’s not down to money. He can get more money playing in Russia.
“But he loves football. That is his passion.”
Nkabuthusa has also revealed there was initial interest from Everton in the player, whose contract at Grasshoppers of Zurich ends on June 30.
- Albion boss determined to sign off in style
- Wimbledon champ enters Eastbourne
- Sussex give Robinson contract until end of the season
- Crawley fans urged to play a part in survival bid
- No more South Coast rivalry for Albion with Bournemouth going up