Sami Hyypia will be ready for the challenge of Championship management – despite having spent his entire English league career in the top flight.
That is the view of Albion and Liverpool legend Mark Lawrenson as Hyypia prepares to take charge at the Amex on a three-year deal.
Hyypia, 40, was tonight confirmed as the Seagulls' new first team manager with Nathan Jones working as his assistant.
Lawrenson believes the Finn had his sights on coaching and management even before he made his emotional farewell as Liverpool player.
He finished his career at Bayer Leverkusen before moving into management with the Bundesliga giants.
Lawrenson told The Argus: “Since he came towards the end of his career I think he thought ‘This is for me’ so he has been boning up.
“Everyone loved him at Anfield. He was a super player and a really good character.
“He’s a proper guy.”
- Fulham defender ruled out of Amex trip
- With Video: March on the way back for Albion
- Your vote, your say - how will Albion get on at Norwich?
- Albion striker on the move again
- Spanish inquisition for Albion boss over Colunga