Sami wants Leo to stay at Albion

Sami Hyypia wants Leo Ulloa at Albion for at least another year

Sami Hyypia wants Leo Ulloa at Albion for at least another year

First published in Sport by , Chief sports reporter

New Albion boss Sami Hyypia has revealed he wants to keep talismanic goalscorer Leo Ulloa at the club for at least another year.

The Seagulls are fighting to stave off Premier League interest in Ulloa, who has scored 23 goals in 50 league appearances for the club.

They have already rejected three bids from Leicester for the Argentinian, 28 next month and still with three years remaining on his contract.

Gus Poyet, in charge at the Amex when Ulloa was bought from Spanish side Almeria for around £2 million in January last year, is keeping an eye on developments at Sunderland.

Hyypia, speaking for the first time about Ulloa’s future, told The Argus: “I think for every club it’s very important to keep hold of your best players.

“I hope he will play here at least a year but maybe even after that as well. I think he was an important player last season and we will need him as well to play well next season.”

Hyypia has no set figure in mind of the number of new signings he wants to bolster a squad depleted by the release of six players at the end of the season, including goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak and Spanish midfielder Andrea Orlandi, together with the departure to Leicester of veteran centre-half Matt Upson.

He said: “If we get three new players and the three will help the team go forward, that’s enough. If we need seven, okay.

“There’s no number that we have in mind that we need to get. I don’t think you have to sign a player just for (the sake of) signing a player. There has to be a purpose. “There’s a good academy here so I hope a few of the youngsters will make the step up to the first team.”

Hyypia, officially unveiled at a press conference at Albion’s new training ground in Lancing yesterday, is satisfield he will play a bigger role in recruiting players than at his last club Bayer Leverkusen.

The former Liverpool stalwart and Finland international said: “In Germany I didn’t have a lot to say about the signings, the club mostly did them. I am very pleased that my opinion will be heard here.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:20am Fri 13 Jun 14

albionbloke says...

So do we Sami! As for you Poyet.....keep yer hands off Leo!

Good to see Sami's got an eye to bringing the youngsters up. Based upon the success of some of them so far, these lads will be the future of our club (mixed in with a few seasoned pros of course).
So do we Sami! As for you Poyet.....keep yer hands off Leo! Good to see Sami's got an eye to bringing the youngsters up. Based upon the success of some of them so far, these lads will be the future of our club (mixed in with a few seasoned pros of course). albionbloke
  • Score: 12

7:07am Fri 13 Jun 14

mark by the sea says...

albionbloke wrote:
So do we Sami! As for you Poyet.....keep yer hands off Leo!

Good to see Sami's got an eye to bringing the youngsters up. Based upon the success of some of them so far, these lads will be the future of our club (mixed in with a few seasoned pros of course).
Funny how the expression Leo not for sale, if we are serious contenders we need to keep him, it took us two years to find him.
[quote][p][bold]albionbloke[/bold] wrote: So do we Sami! As for you Poyet.....keep yer hands off Leo! Good to see Sami's got an eye to bringing the youngsters up. Based upon the success of some of them so far, these lads will be the future of our club (mixed in with a few seasoned pros of course).[/p][/quote]Funny how the expression Leo not for sale, if we are serious contenders we need to keep him, it took us two years to find him. mark by the sea
  • Score: 10

9:12am Fri 13 Jun 14

Max Ripple says...

Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned.
But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game.
Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned. But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game. Max Ripple
  • Score: -5

1:42pm Fri 13 Jun 14

VegasSeagull says...

Max Ripple wrote:
Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned.
But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game.
Max every player has his price, well they do in our division, but it appears we have set a price that others may not want to pay, so don't expect Leo to be going anywhere soon. The fact that we have only heard of Leicester's bids doesn't mean that others have not been monitoring the situation.
It is widely reported that we value Leo close to 10M, and it is known that we have declined a bid of 5M. My guess is that we wouldn't sell him to a champ div club, why help our promotion competitors, and the prem clubs have not shown a desire to spend big to get him.
[quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned. But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game.[/p][/quote]Max every player has his price, well they do in our division, but it appears we have set a price that others may not want to pay, so don't expect Leo to be going anywhere soon. The fact that we have only heard of Leicester's bids doesn't mean that others have not been monitoring the situation. It is widely reported that we value Leo close to 10M, and it is known that we have declined a bid of 5M. My guess is that we wouldn't sell him to a champ div club, why help our promotion competitors, and the prem clubs have not shown a desire to spend big to get him. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 1

1:51pm Fri 13 Jun 14

mark by the sea says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Max Ripple wrote:
Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned.
But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game.
Max every player has his price, well they do in our division, but it appears we have set a price that others may not want to pay, so don't expect Leo to be going anywhere soon. The fact that we have only heard of Leicester's bids doesn't mean that others have not been monitoring the situation.
It is widely reported that we value Leo close to 10M, and it is known that we have declined a bid of 5M. My guess is that we wouldn't sell him to a champ div club, why help our promotion competitors, and the prem clubs have not shown a desire to spend big to get him.
Saints never sold lambert because they knew he worth more than a few million in the bank, and that's the difference , saints and brighton are sleeping clubs, but they won't sell key players .
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned. But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game.[/p][/quote]Max every player has his price, well they do in our division, but it appears we have set a price that others may not want to pay, so don't expect Leo to be going anywhere soon. The fact that we have only heard of Leicester's bids doesn't mean that others have not been monitoring the situation. It is widely reported that we value Leo close to 10M, and it is known that we have declined a bid of 5M. My guess is that we wouldn't sell him to a champ div club, why help our promotion competitors, and the prem clubs have not shown a desire to spend big to get him.[/p][/quote]Saints never sold lambert because they knew he worth more than a few million in the bank, and that's the difference , saints and brighton are sleeping clubs, but they won't sell key players . mark by the sea
  • Score: 0

2:33pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Cap'n Pugwash says...

Max Ripple wrote:
Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned.
But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game.
You contradict yourself. You are saying that Barber and Burke like to bolster the club's coffers whenever they can and then you say they'll sell a player for less than he's worth. That doesn't make sense. As for your other comments about 'we've all seen how small a sum can be' to let a player leave-maybe you'd like to give us your insight to those deals?

Are you talking about Bridcutt? Barnes? Who else? Bridcutt's fee hasn't been disclosed and we all know why Barnes left for the money we got for him. What would you have done? Barnes was a player who wanted to leave at the end of the season when he would have gone for nothing. We got money for him. Bridcutt wanted out, wasn't doing his job and we got, by all accounts, **** good money for him. Adam el Abd? Wanted first team football and was unlikely to get what he wanted so we sold him for, once again, **** good money for a 3rd string defender.

Anyone else? Murray maybe? He went for nothing because Poyet didn't want him, he was out of contract and received a very nice signing on bonus and a massive increase in wages. That had nothing to do with Barber or Burke.

Every player has his price and you're pretty naive if you expect The Albion to be any different. Man Utd sold Ronaldo, Liverpool sold Torres, Arsenal let Fabregas go. Players all at the top of their game but their clubs took offers that at the time were offers they couldn't refuse. All on a different level to us but the fact is that every club will take the money.
[quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: Yes we need to keep Leo but I think we have all seen how the minds of messrs Barber and Burke work on several occasions in the past. They like to bolster their coffers whenever they can and if someone comes in with a bid that they can't refuse - and we've all seen how small a sum that can be - they will undoubtedly let him go. That will be the crunch point for their working relationship with Sami. What's he worth? I don't know. £7m? £8m? £10m? Probably less than my first figure as far as they're concerned. But we do definitely need to keep him as far as I'm concerned. He gives all the team a feeling of confidence that anything could happen at any moment. And he's a great target man who can hold a ball up ready for a winger or attacking midfielder to drive forward. Some people complain that he goes to ground a bit too easily but when you've got big defenders on your neck it's not as easy to stay upright as we like to think. He gets much more attention from those defenders because of his reputation as a man who can change a game.[/p][/quote]You contradict yourself. You are saying that Barber and Burke like to bolster the club's coffers whenever they can and then you say they'll sell a player for less than he's worth. That doesn't make sense. As for your other comments about 'we've all seen how small a sum can be' to let a player leave-maybe you'd like to give us your insight to those deals? Are you talking about Bridcutt? Barnes? Who else? Bridcutt's fee hasn't been disclosed and we all know why Barnes left for the money we got for him. What would you have done? Barnes was a player who wanted to leave at the end of the season when he would have gone for nothing. We got money for him. Bridcutt wanted out, wasn't doing his job and we got, by all accounts, **** good money for him. Adam el Abd? Wanted first team football and was unlikely to get what he wanted so we sold him for, once again, **** good money for a 3rd string defender. Anyone else? Murray maybe? He went for nothing because Poyet didn't want him, he was out of contract and received a very nice signing on bonus and a massive increase in wages. That had nothing to do with Barber or Burke. Every player has his price and you're pretty naive if you expect The Albion to be any different. Man Utd sold Ronaldo, Liverpool sold Torres, Arsenal let Fabregas go. Players all at the top of their game but their clubs took offers that at the time were offers they couldn't refuse. All on a different level to us but the fact is that every club will take the money. Cap'n Pugwash
  • Score: 5

7:21pm Fri 13 Jun 14

Max Ripple says...

I don't follow any other blogs apart from this one because to be honest I don't have time but all I can remember from last January and in the following months was the number of people on here, some of whom undoubtedly know more about the inside stories from our lovely club than I do, who were constantly moaning about us letting players go for less than they were worth. DB and TB not getting good money for players. I don't believe everything I read but one does take some of it on board when it comes from so many directions.
"Bolstering the coffers" doesn't necessarily mean getting top dollar. It can mean getting what you can for something to help balance the books and improve cash flow. And we are constantly being told how much debt we are in, trying to live within FFP, and that we can't afford this or that. And I don't think I'm being naive in expecting a player to go if the money is right. I'm just concerned that they might let Leo go for less than he is really worth and until we buy someone else we'll be left with only CMS as a viable striker.
I want the best for our club. I'm looking forward to next season. I think we've got a manager with a lot of talent and promise. And I hope we keep Leo.
Cheers!
I don't follow any other blogs apart from this one because to be honest I don't have time but all I can remember from last January and in the following months was the number of people on here, some of whom undoubtedly know more about the inside stories from our lovely club than I do, who were constantly moaning about us letting players go for less than they were worth. DB and TB not getting good money for players. I don't believe everything I read but one does take some of it on board when it comes from so many directions. "Bolstering the coffers" doesn't necessarily mean getting top dollar. It can mean getting what you can for something to help balance the books and improve cash flow. And we are constantly being told how much debt we are in, trying to live within FFP, and that we can't afford this or that. And I don't think I'm being naive in expecting a player to go if the money is right. I'm just concerned that they might let Leo go for less than he is really worth and until we buy someone else we'll be left with only CMS as a viable striker. I want the best for our club. I'm looking forward to next season. I think we've got a manager with a lot of talent and promise. And I hope we keep Leo. Cheers! Max Ripple
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree