Albion will host League Two side Cheltenham in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
The tie, drawn this morning, will take place in the week commencing August 11.
Albion will look for improved fortunes on the past two campaigns, when they have made first-round exits to lower division opponents.
Two years ago an Alan Navarro debut double against his old club helped send the Seagulls to a shock 3-0 reverse at Swindon.
Last season they let slip an early lead and lost 3-1 in extra-time at home to Newport County.
New boss Sami Hyypia helped Liverpool win the trophy twice as a player, in 2011 and 2003.
- Sami Hyypia backs keeper David Stockdale
- Sorry fans! Honest Stockdale holds his hands up for 'bad decision'
- Birthday boy Bruno was going for goal
- Albion denied by "one of the best"
- Albion held after Bruno breaks the goal drought