Albion will host League Two side Cheltenham in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
The tie, drawn this morning, will take place in the week commencing August 11.
Albion will look for improved fortunes on the past two campaigns, when they have made first-round exits to lower division opponents.
Two years ago an Alan Navarro debut double against his old club helped send the Seagulls to a shock 3-0 reverse at Swindon.
Last season they let slip an early lead and lost 3-1 in extra-time at home to Newport County.
New boss Sami Hyypia helped Liverpool win the trophy twice as a player, in 2011 and 2003.
- Former Albion star serves up stark warning
- Macca warming up with the Hatters
- Pitch the only winner as Sussex bowlers toil at Edgbaston
- Vicente a magician but there is a Case to opt for Jimmy
- Blow for Crawley as player of the year Dickson joins Yeovil