Andrew Crofts will miss the start of pre-season training with Albion.
But new boss Sami Hyypia hopes to have the key midfielder fit for the Seagulls' Championship campaign, which starts at home to Sheffield Wednesday on August 9.
Welsh international Crofts contributed six goals for Oscar Garcia's side last season before suffering cruciate knee ligament damage against Birmingham at the Amex in January.
The Albion players begin training at their new base in Lancing on Monday following medical tests today and tomorrow.
Hyypia said: "I haven’t seen the latest list yet, but I think Andrew Crofts has a few weeks to get to full fitness so he won’t be starting with us. Hopefully he will join us soon and be fit for the whole season."
- Albion keeper hopes for great backing as he heads Home
- Why Greer has extra reason to rock Gibraltar
- Non-league round-up: Burgess Hill edge closer to title, Eastbourne Borough make it four in a row, wins for Bognor and Three Bridges
- Saunders admits Crawley were given reality check
- Gargan heads late winner for Hawks