Andrew Crofts will miss the start of pre-season training with Albion.
But new boss Sami Hyypia hopes to have the key midfielder fit for the Seagulls' Championship campaign, which starts at home to Sheffield Wednesday on August 9.
Welsh international Crofts contributed six goals for Oscar Garcia's side last season before suffering cruciate knee ligament damage against Birmingham at the Amex in January.
The Albion players begin training at their new base in Lancing on Monday following medical tests today and tomorrow.
Hyypia said: "I haven’t seen the latest list yet, but I think Andrew Crofts has a few weeks to get to full fitness so he won’t be starting with us. Hopefully he will join us soon and be fit for the whole season."
- Show me what you can do! Hyypia plans more changes in cup tie
- Albion to field Paddy - but for how long
- Paddy McCourt can make impact for Albion
- Sam Baldock: Albion won't take it for granted
- Non-League round-up: Horsham win thriller