Jones said No to Maccabi offer

Nathan Jones

Nathan Jones

First published in Sport
Last updated
by , Chief sports reporter

Nathan Jones turned down a job offer from Oscar Garcia to stay at Albion.

Oscar wanted Jones, pictured above, to work with him again in his second stint with Champions League participants Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel after they joined forces in charge of the Seagulls last season.

But Jones decided to stay at the Amex under new boss Sami Hyypia.

The Welshman revealed: “I had the opportunity to go but the club wanted me (to stay). I spoke to the manager and I knew this was the place for me.

“I loved working with Oscar. He gave me a lot of responsibility and if I had another chance of working with him again I’d have no hesitation but I was really excited about what Sami said.

“The club made it quite clear that they believed in me and wanted me here. I’m very happy and very excited for the future.

“Last year we had a decent year and it is nice that two different managers trust me but hopefully it means I’m doing something right.

“I love the Albion and I love being here – it feels like my life’s complete.”

Oscar, who quit after steering Albion into the Championship play-offs, retains a soft spot for the Albion fans.

He tweeted pictures of a flag-waving full house at the Amex and Maccabi spectators and said: “I’ll always be grateful to Brighton and Maccabi supporters for the passion and love they continually show me.”

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:17am Sat 26 Jul 14

Grendel says...

Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.
Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break. Grendel
  • Score: 65

7:24am Sat 26 Jul 14

AlfieT says...

Grendel wrote:
Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.
Yes perhaps, still not a fan though, anyway that sorts the assistant manager position.
[quote][p][bold]Grendel[/bold] wrote: Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.[/p][/quote]Yes perhaps, still not a fan though, anyway that sorts the assistant manager position. AlfieT
  • Score: -3

7:27am Sat 26 Jul 14

Singing Seagull, Indonesia says...

Grendel wrote:
Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.
Yes, well said. I think most of the unkindness came from the fact that Oscar used NJ as his mouthpiece and press officer. It's easy to shoot the messenger.

UTA!!
[quote][p][bold]Grendel[/bold] wrote: Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.[/p][/quote]Yes, well said. I think most of the unkindness came from the fact that Oscar used NJ as his mouthpiece and press officer. It's easy to shoot the messenger. UTA!! Singing Seagull, Indonesia
  • Score: 29

7:33am Sat 26 Jul 14

JeffLomer says...

Morning, Good to hear Nathan is commited to our club, even better in my view he's well liked and respected upstairs,
Up the Albion
Morning, Good to hear Nathan is commited to our club, even better in my view he's well liked and respected upstairs, Up the Albion JeffLomer
  • Score: 14

7:46am Sat 26 Jul 14

Far gull says...

Good comments hear. Perhaps we need to give him a break . I think we are going to need lots of passion and commitment this season aka Adam el abd style.
Good comments hear. Perhaps we need to give him a break . I think we are going to need lots of passion and commitment this season aka Adam el abd style. Far gull
  • Score: 17

7:46am Sat 26 Jul 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Always said we have no idea how good he is away from public gaze and as he says, he must be doing something right.
And as Alfie T says, it suggests there's another wage bill been saved....
Always said we have no idea how good he is away from public gaze and as he says, he must be doing something right. And as Alfie T says, it suggests there's another wage bill been saved.... Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 10

8:17am Sat 26 Jul 14

OldGull says...

Good to hear that his work and commitment is recognised both by the manager and the "suits"
The fact that OG wanted him to move to Tel aviv with him speaks volumes
One in the eye for his critics
Good to hear that his work and commitment is recognised both by the manager and the "suits" The fact that OG wanted him to move to Tel aviv with him speaks volumes One in the eye for his critics OldGull
  • Score: 10

8:18am Sat 26 Jul 14

pablobrowno says...

So much for the theory of those in here who were convinced that Oscar not publicly thanking Jones when he resigned was evidence of the fact he thought Jones was not up to the job etc.
So much for the theory of those in here who were convinced that Oscar not publicly thanking Jones when he resigned was evidence of the fact he thought Jones was not up to the job etc. pablobrowno
  • Score: 14

8:22am Sat 26 Jul 14

Conelli98 says...

So he's staying! More bad news then...
So he's staying! More bad news then... Conelli98
  • Score: -24

9:50am Sat 26 Jul 14

Mayfield sweeper says...

There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.
There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham. Mayfield sweeper
  • Score: 5

9:57am Sat 26 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

Conelli98 wrote:
So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
[quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -1

10:06am Sat 26 Jul 14

To baldly go says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think! To baldly go
  • Score: 9

10:29am Sat 26 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!!
[quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -9

10:58am Sat 26 Jul 14

To baldly go says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!!
I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here!
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!![/p][/quote]I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here! To baldly go
  • Score: 5

11:19am Sat 26 Jul 14

mark5 says...

Mayfield sweeper wrote:
There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.
Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though..............
........ha, ha.

Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management.
[quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.[/p][/quote]Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though.............. ........ha, ha. Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management. mark5
  • Score: 0

11:21am Sat 26 Jul 14

ballantrrae says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
Always said we have no idea how good he is away from public gaze and as he says, he must be doing something right.
And as Alfie T says, it suggests there's another wage bill been saved....
I was told by someone 'connected' to the Albion who has seen Jones coaching (and who played himself at a top level) that Jones is a first rate Coach. Oscar wanting him to join him (Oscar) at Maccabi endorses that view. However I was also told that his possible weakness was that he didn't question things enough and accepted the philosophy being adopted.
This type of approach is fine and perhaps necessary for someone in the 'Head coaches' position (which Jones currently holds) but not a No 2 or Assistant Manager.
Indeed it was the fact that Hyypia wanted someone to 'Challenge' him
that he looked for an Assistant like Lee. I thought this premise was a good one and still do.
Therefore I would hope that Hyypia does recruit an Assistant once the season has started with Jones continuing as Head Coach where his talents I suspect may be better served.
In terms of SH acquiring a No 2 how about Gary McAllister or Dean Saunders both experienced Managers and fine attacking players ?
Onwards and Upwards with Hyypia.
.
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: Always said we have no idea how good he is away from public gaze and as he says, he must be doing something right. And as Alfie T says, it suggests there's another wage bill been saved....[/p][/quote]I was told by someone 'connected' to the Albion who has seen Jones coaching (and who played himself at a top level) that Jones is a first rate Coach. Oscar wanting him to join him (Oscar) at Maccabi endorses that view. However I was also told that his possible weakness was that he didn't question things enough and accepted the philosophy being adopted. This type of approach is fine and perhaps necessary for someone in the 'Head coaches' position (which Jones currently holds) but not a No 2 or Assistant Manager. Indeed it was the fact that Hyypia wanted someone to 'Challenge' him that he looked for an Assistant like Lee. I thought this premise was a good one and still do. Therefore I would hope that Hyypia does recruit an Assistant once the season has started with Jones continuing as Head Coach where his talents I suspect may be better served. In terms of SH acquiring a No 2 how about Gary McAllister or Dean Saunders both experienced Managers and fine attacking players ? Onwards and Upwards with Hyypia. . ballantrrae
  • Score: 7

11:28am Sat 26 Jul 14

gilbertthecat says...

To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!!
I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here!
Acually I think it would be good if the OP explained in what way he thinks this is such bad news.

The club don't think it's bad news. OG didn't think he was bad news - that's lot of people who actually know something and actually count that don't think it's bad news.

So when a comment such as this is made it would be nice to hear the reasons for the poster's opinion.
[quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!![/p][/quote]I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here![/p][/quote]Acually I think it would be good if the OP explained in what way he thinks this is such bad news. The club don't think it's bad news. OG didn't think he was bad news - that's lot of people who actually know something and actually count that don't think it's bad news. So when a comment such as this is made it would be nice to hear the reasons for the poster's opinion. gilbertthecat
  • Score: 0

11:30am Sat 26 Jul 14

gilbertthecat says...

mark5 wrote:
Mayfield sweeper wrote: There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.
Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though.............. ........ha, ha. Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management.
The real irony is that he doesn't mean a word of it!
[quote][p][bold]mark5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.[/p][/quote]Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though.............. ........ha, ha. Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management.[/p][/quote]The real irony is that he doesn't mean a word of it! gilbertthecat
  • Score: 0

11:37am Sat 26 Jul 14

gordongull says...

ALAS GARCIA AND JONES

Seriously though, I might have been a little unkind to Nathan in the past, but I'm willing to give him another chance on the basis of this interview :)
ALAS GARCIA AND JONES Seriously though, I might have been a little unkind to Nathan in the past, but I'm willing to give him another chance on the basis of this interview :) gordongull
  • Score: 6

11:54am Sat 26 Jul 14

mark5 says...

gilbertthecat wrote:
mark5 wrote:
Mayfield sweeper wrote: There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.
Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though.............. ........ha, ha. Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management.
The real irony is that he doesn't mean a word of it!
Of course he does'nt. It's all done for effect and to wind up some of the more serious minded members of this platform! Personally I find many of his postings quite amusing and well written, particularly if there is little real news on offer!!
[quote][p][bold]gilbertthecat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.[/p][/quote]Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though.............. ........ha, ha. Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management.[/p][/quote]The real irony is that he doesn't mean a word of it![/p][/quote]Of course he does'nt. It's all done for effect and to wind up some of the more serious minded members of this platform! Personally I find many of his postings quite amusing and well written, particularly if there is little real news on offer!! mark5
  • Score: -2

11:55am Sat 26 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

gilbertthecat wrote:
To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!!
I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here!
Acually I think it would be good if the OP explained in what way he thinks this is such bad news.

The club don't think it's bad news. OG didn't think he was bad news - that's lot of people who actually know something and actually count that don't think it's bad news.

So when a comment such as this is made it would be nice to hear the reasons for the poster's opinion.
Thank you - that was my far from unreasonable original point!
[quote][p][bold]gilbertthecat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!![/p][/quote]I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here![/p][/quote]Acually I think it would be good if the OP explained in what way he thinks this is such bad news. The club don't think it's bad news. OG didn't think he was bad news - that's lot of people who actually know something and actually count that don't think it's bad news. So when a comment such as this is made it would be nice to hear the reasons for the poster's opinion.[/p][/quote]Thank you - that was my far from unreasonable original point! brighton bluenose
  • Score: 3

11:55am Sat 26 Jul 14

Conelli98 says...

To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
Then don't read it then Mr Angry!!! Nathan Jones may very well be a good coach but if Hypia wanted him in the first place why try and bring in Lee or his asst at Bayer. Hypia is working with what he is given not want he wants! A lot of what I put on this website is lighthearted banter with just a little bit of knowledge about how our club is developing at youth and development level. Please refrain from getting to heated in this weather as I would not wish ill of you!
[quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]Then don't read it then Mr Angry!!! Nathan Jones may very well be a good coach but if Hypia wanted him in the first place why try and bring in Lee or his asst at Bayer. Hypia is working with what he is given not want he wants! A lot of what I put on this website is lighthearted banter with just a little bit of knowledge about how our club is developing at youth and development level. Please refrain from getting to heated in this weather as I would not wish ill of you! Conelli98
  • Score: -6

11:57am Sat 26 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!!
I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here!
Your moronic post has nothing to do with the story itself - I think that says it all about you sunshine!
[quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]You're brave - and giving yourself a thumbs-up is the mark of a real tw@t!![/p][/quote]I never give anyone a thumbs up or down, then when I see thumbs up for me I know I've hit the spot, in your case it was a forgone conclusion that I would get a thumbs up because we all know your the biggest t*** on here![/p][/quote]Your moronic post has nothing to do with the story itself - I think that says it all about you sunshine! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -7

12:00pm Sat 26 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

Conelli98 wrote:
To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
Then don't read it then Mr Angry!!! Nathan Jones may very well be a good coach but if Hypia wanted him in the first place why try and bring in Lee or his asst at Bayer. Hypia is working with what he is given not want he wants! A lot of what I put on this website is lighthearted banter with just a little bit of knowledge about how our club is developing at youth and development level. Please refrain from getting to heated in this weather as I would not wish ill of you!
Mate - it was a reasonable question which, with respect, you have still not really answered!
[quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]Then don't read it then Mr Angry!!! Nathan Jones may very well be a good coach but if Hypia wanted him in the first place why try and bring in Lee or his asst at Bayer. Hypia is working with what he is given not want he wants! A lot of what I put on this website is lighthearted banter with just a little bit of knowledge about how our club is developing at youth and development level. Please refrain from getting to heated in this weather as I would not wish ill of you![/p][/quote]Mate - it was a reasonable question which, with respect, you have still not really answered! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -5

12:03pm Sat 26 Jul 14

gordongull says...

mark5 wrote:
Mayfield sweeper wrote:
There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.
Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though..............

........ha, ha.

Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management.
I gave Mayfield a thumbs-up FOR the irony, Mark5!

This is the first indication that either Oscar or Sami likes Nathan, or values him as a colleague. Maybe that is why comments on the subject of Nathan have not always been complimentary.
[quote][p][bold]mark5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: There aren't many assistants of the calibre of Nathan Jones. He is quite capable of steering the good ship albion by himself if required and an excellent communicator as witnessed during the Oscar era, so if Sami hits his head on the same glass ceiling as Gus and Oscar and walks we can all relax. Let's hope we can hang on to him I did hear a rumour that he is coveted by Torquay and Wrexham.[/p][/quote]Given that you have 3 thumbs up for this post, suggest that the irony of what you say has been lost on some!! Not me though.............. ........ha, ha. Personally, I always feel that NJ gets a rough ride for no obvious reason. For me he was always motivating the players and has a certain passion about him that Oscar appeared not to. Glad he has stayed with us and keeps some much needed continuity between team and management.[/p][/quote]I gave Mayfield a thumbs-up FOR the irony, Mark5! This is the first indication that either Oscar or Sami likes Nathan, or values him as a colleague. Maybe that is why comments on the subject of Nathan have not always been complimentary. gordongull
  • Score: 1

12:18pm Sat 26 Jul 14

dave from bexill says...

Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle
Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle dave from bexill
  • Score: 3

12:29pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Joel'sGrandad says...

This is really positive news and it's good that Nathan is recognised to be a really good coach.
Personally I've never been sure but then I'm not privy to what goes on within the confines of the Albion.
So, with this news, let's get behind Sami and Nathan and the players.
We, the fans, might just be the difference between a mid table season and another stab at the play offs or even an outright promotion. UTA
This is really positive news and it's good that Nathan is recognised to be a really good coach. Personally I've never been sure but then I'm not privy to what goes on within the confines of the Albion. So, with this news, let's get behind Sami and Nathan and the players. We, the fans, might just be the difference between a mid table season and another stab at the play offs or even an outright promotion. UTA Joel'sGrandad
  • Score: 5

12:29pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Conelli98 says...

dave from bexill wrote:
Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle
Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺
[quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle[/p][/quote]Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺 Conelli98
  • Score: 1

1:16pm Sat 26 Jul 14

gilbertthecat says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
To baldly go wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Conelli98 wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...
Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?!
Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think!
Then don't read it then Mr Angry!!! Nathan Jones may very well be a good coach but if Hypia wanted him in the first place why try and bring in Lee or his asst at Bayer. Hypia is working with what he is given not want he wants! A lot of what I put on this website is lighthearted banter with just a little bit of knowledge about how our club is developing at youth and development level. Please refrain from getting to heated in this weather as I would not wish ill of you!
Mate - it was a reasonable question which, with respect, you have still not really answered!
Thank you Conelli, light hearted and informative with a nod to the Mr Men. Actually I wasn't too sure who was criticising who at first - maybe I still don't - that's the heat affecting me I reckon!
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]To baldly go[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: So he's staying! More bad news then...[/p][/quote]Perhaps you would like to explain to us all EXACTLY why this is such 'bad news?![/p][/quote]Or not, because we don't give a **** what you think![/p][/quote]Then don't read it then Mr Angry!!! Nathan Jones may very well be a good coach but if Hypia wanted him in the first place why try and bring in Lee or his asst at Bayer. Hypia is working with what he is given not want he wants! A lot of what I put on this website is lighthearted banter with just a little bit of knowledge about how our club is developing at youth and development level. Please refrain from getting to heated in this weather as I would not wish ill of you![/p][/quote]Mate - it was a reasonable question which, with respect, you have still not really answered![/p][/quote]Thank you Conelli, light hearted and informative with a nod to the Mr Men. Actually I wasn't too sure who was criticising who at first - maybe I still don't - that's the heat affecting me I reckon! gilbertthecat
  • Score: -1

1:27pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Captain Haddock says...

Conelli98 wrote:
dave from bexill wrote:
Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle
Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺
And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)
[quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle[/p][/quote]Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺[/p][/quote]And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0) Captain Haddock
  • Score: 7

1:33pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Conelli98 says...

Captain Haddock wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
dave from bexill wrote:
Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle
Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺
And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)
Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜
[quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle[/p][/quote]Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺[/p][/quote]And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)[/p][/quote]Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜 Conelli98
  • Score: 3

1:54pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Captain Haddock says...

Conelli98 wrote:
Captain Haddock wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
dave from bexill wrote:
Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle
Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺
And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)
Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜
Nice! Will try to find you. Always good to meet new (decent!) people!
[quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle[/p][/quote]Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺[/p][/quote]And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)[/p][/quote]Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜[/p][/quote]Nice! Will try to find you. Always good to meet new (decent!) people! Captain Haddock
  • Score: 1

2:46pm Sat 26 Jul 14

tug509 says...

Fantastic news ,its nice to know that things are more stable with regards his position at the club ,there was always a chance of creating a large gap between the coaches and Sami without someone reliable in that position after Lee did an about turn .Always loved the guy ,then he gave us away support the bird and a few other gestures at Yeovil when he played there ,and got Joe Ansinyah sent off ,so obviously he wasn`t flavour of the month after that ,but we gave Hammond a second chance .But NJ has with this gesture and words put the past to rest for me ,I can happily remember watching him skin right backs on the left wing at Withdean again now ,and know that he is an Albion lad again .
Well done Nathan . UTA
Fantastic news ,its nice to know that things are more stable with regards his position at the club ,there was always a chance of creating a large gap between the coaches and Sami without someone reliable in that position after Lee did an about turn .Always loved the guy ,then he gave us away support the bird and a few other gestures at Yeovil when he played there ,and got Joe Ansinyah sent off ,so obviously he wasn`t flavour of the month after that ,but we gave Hammond a second chance .But NJ has with this gesture and words put the past to rest for me ,I can happily remember watching him skin right backs on the left wing at Withdean again now ,and know that he is an Albion lad again . Well done Nathan . UTA tug509
  • Score: 1

3:42pm Sat 26 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

tug509 wrote:
Fantastic news ,its nice to know that things are more stable with regards his position at the club ,there was always a chance of creating a large gap between the coaches and Sami without someone reliable in that position after Lee did an about turn .Always loved the guy ,then he gave us away support the bird and a few other gestures at Yeovil when he played there ,and got Joe Ansinyah sent off ,so obviously he wasn`t flavour of the month after that ,but we gave Hammond a second chance .But NJ has with this gesture and words put the past to rest for me ,I can happily remember watching him skin right backs on the left wing at Withdean again now ,and know that he is an Albion lad again .
Well done Nathan . UTA
Agree 100% with all of that! The passion he showed in coming over to the fans at Forest in that last league game has wiped away the memory of his Yeovil misdemeanour! This is positive for both the club and NJ too!!
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Fantastic news ,its nice to know that things are more stable with regards his position at the club ,there was always a chance of creating a large gap between the coaches and Sami without someone reliable in that position after Lee did an about turn .Always loved the guy ,then he gave us away support the bird and a few other gestures at Yeovil when he played there ,and got Joe Ansinyah sent off ,so obviously he wasn`t flavour of the month after that ,but we gave Hammond a second chance .But NJ has with this gesture and words put the past to rest for me ,I can happily remember watching him skin right backs on the left wing at Withdean again now ,and know that he is an Albion lad again . Well done Nathan . UTA[/p][/quote]Agree 100% with all of that! The passion he showed in coming over to the fans at Forest in that last league game has wiped away the memory of his Yeovil misdemeanour! This is positive for both the club and NJ too!! brighton bluenose
  • Score: 6

4:04pm Sat 26 Jul 14

100% Pure says...

Grendel wrote:
Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.
Try thinking for urself for once.This just means he loves having a job at Brighton with no presure.As for passion please don't make me laugh lol i've seen more passion in a crack whore.
[quote][p][bold]Grendel[/bold] wrote: Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.[/p][/quote]Try thinking for urself for once.This just means he loves having a job at Brighton with no presure.As for passion please don't make me laugh lol i've seen more passion in a crack whore. 100% Pure
  • Score: 0

4:39pm Sat 26 Jul 14

dave from bexill says...

Captain Haddock wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
Captain Haddock wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
dave from bexill wrote:
Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle
Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺
And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)
Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜
Nice! Will try to find you. Always good to meet new (decent!) people!
Thanks Conelli, but I'm in the WSL and at my age by the time I've climbed upto the top, I'll have forgotten why I went up. Enjoy MY pint Capt and here's to a great season (slightly tongue in cheek, but hopefully) UTA
[quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle[/p][/quote]Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺[/p][/quote]And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)[/p][/quote]Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜[/p][/quote]Nice! Will try to find you. Always good to meet new (decent!) people![/p][/quote]Thanks Conelli, but I'm in the WSL and at my age by the time I've climbed upto the top, I'll have forgotten why I went up. Enjoy MY pint Capt and here's to a great season (slightly tongue in cheek, but hopefully) UTA dave from bexill
  • Score: 0

6:23pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Conelli98 says...

dave from bexill wrote:
Captain Haddock wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
Captain Haddock wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
dave from bexill wrote:
Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle
Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺
And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)
Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜
Nice! Will try to find you. Always good to meet new (decent!) people!
Thanks Conelli, but I'm in the WSL and at my age by the time I've climbed upto the top, I'll have forgotten why I went up. Enjoy MY pint Capt and here's to a great season (slightly tongue in cheek, but hopefully) UTA
Meet me in the east stand sports bar b4 the game🍻
[quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: Conelli, you still owe some of us a pint from before your reincarnation to your current handle[/p][/quote]Hi Dave, West stand upper concourse middle bar Aug9th. Look for Fat bald bloke in Lacoste, bring your id and a pint of your choice is yours. I used to work in Devy pub in your beloved Bexhill 🍺🍺🍺[/p][/quote]And if Dave doesn't have a ST in WSU I'll drink the pint for him! ;0)[/p][/quote]Same applies to you Haddock🐟! Let's enjoy the day 😜[/p][/quote]Nice! Will try to find you. Always good to meet new (decent!) people![/p][/quote]Thanks Conelli, but I'm in the WSL and at my age by the time I've climbed upto the top, I'll have forgotten why I went up. Enjoy MY pint Capt and here's to a great season (slightly tongue in cheek, but hopefully) UTA[/p][/quote]Meet me in the east stand sports bar b4 the game🍻 Conelli98
  • Score: 1

7:24pm Sat 26 Jul 14

OldGull says...

tug509 wrote:
Fantastic news ,its nice to know that things are more stable with regards his position at the club ,there was always a chance of creating a large gap between the coaches and Sami without someone reliable in that position after Lee did an about turn .Always loved the guy ,then he gave us away support the bird and a few other gestures at Yeovil when he played there ,and got Joe Ansinyah sent off ,so obviously he wasn`t flavour of the month after that ,but we gave Hammond a second chance .But NJ has with this gesture and words put the past to rest for me ,I can happily remember watching him skin right backs on the left wing at Withdean again now ,and know that he is an Albion lad again .
Well done Nathan . UTA
Thumbs up Tug
You explained to me a while back why you were anti NJ
Good on you for backing him now
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Fantastic news ,its nice to know that things are more stable with regards his position at the club ,there was always a chance of creating a large gap between the coaches and Sami without someone reliable in that position after Lee did an about turn .Always loved the guy ,then he gave us away support the bird and a few other gestures at Yeovil when he played there ,and got Joe Ansinyah sent off ,so obviously he wasn`t flavour of the month after that ,but we gave Hammond a second chance .But NJ has with this gesture and words put the past to rest for me ,I can happily remember watching him skin right backs on the left wing at Withdean again now ,and know that he is an Albion lad again . Well done Nathan . UTA[/p][/quote]Thumbs up Tug You explained to me a while back why you were anti NJ Good on you for backing him now OldGull
  • Score: 2

7:27pm Sat 26 Jul 14

OldGull says...

100% Pure wrote:
Grendel wrote:
Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.
Try thinking for urself for once.This just means he loves having a job at Brighton with no presure.As for passion please don't make me laugh lol i've seen more passion in a crack whore.
Nice to know your choice of women
And the fact you have to pay
[quote][p][bold]100% Pure[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grendel[/bold] wrote: Critics should take note of his love for, and commitment to, the Albion, and give him a break.[/p][/quote]Try thinking for urself for once.This just means he loves having a job at Brighton with no presure.As for passion please don't make me laugh lol i've seen more passion in a crack whore.[/p][/quote]Nice to know your choice of women And the fact you have to pay OldGull
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree