Albion boss Sami Hyypia says it will not be a disaster if the squad is not complete before the big kick-off.
But he has also expressed reservations about the gaps still to be filled in the build-up to Sheffield Wednesday’s opening Championship visit on August 9.
The Seagulls, beaten 2-1 in their penultimate friendly at Peterborough on Saturday, have until September 1 to make more permanent additions.
Hyypia told The Argus: “I think we have enough to get 11 players on the pitch when the season starts but if we can’t get everyone in who we would like to get it’s not a disaster but it’s not an ideal situation either.
“We are working hard to do it. My main task is to get everything out of the squad that we have and that’s what I’m intending to do.
“I think we are making steps in the right direction. I saw more of the right things we need to do in this game than I saw against Crawley (last Wednesday) and that’s very good that the players start to understand what we want from them.”
Hyypia was encouraged by former Barnsley striker Chris O’Grady’s debut at Peterborough, which included setting up Shamir Fenelon’s early goal.
He said: “It was good control and a good pass. He showed already that he has some quality.
“We saw a glimpse of what we can expect from him in the season and when he gets to know his team-mates better it’s only going to get better. I am very happy with how he did in his first game and hopefully he will keep performing.”
Aaron Hughes made his first start in the centre of defence after illness and Hyypia expects Albion’s other signing so far, Nzuzi Toko, to be back training with the rest of the squad today. The African midfielder has missed the last three friendlies with a swollen knee.
- Albion reveal the £25.9m cost of last season's promotion near miss
- Hughton reveals Huenemeier's latest bad break - but expects him back soon
- Kayal back in training while Rosenior makes progress
- LuaLua faces ban but it won't affect first team chances
- Archer sets wickets target after extending contract