Sami Hyypia has been warned to expect a culture shock by his first managerial opponent in English football.
Hyypia makes his Albion ‘debut’ at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday as the Championship season gets under way.
The former Liverpool defender has been head coach at the top end of the Bundesliga but Owls boss Stuart Gray reckons he is in for a new experience altogether this season.
Gray said: “Sami played in the Premier League so he knows a lot about English football already.
“But I think the Championship will surprise him given the intensity and the quality of the opposition and the number of games that are played.”
Wednesday are poised to give their threadbare strikeforce a timely boost after tonight’s Europa League games.
They are set to bring in St Johnstone striker Stevie May for about £800,000 once he has played against Spartak Trnava in Slovakia.
But 6ft 6in target man Atdhe Nuhiu is likely to lead the attack at the Amex.
Wednesday have been limited in their summer signings. They yesterday added back-up Slovenian centre-back Dejan Kelhar but lost star winger Michail Antonio to Nottingham Forest.
- Albion unchanged, Kayal waits for debut
- Blackpool v Albion from Bloomfield Road
- Blackpool bring in teens against Albion - and keeper is still in the cold
- Fowler on the bench as Crawley name unchanged team
- Orlandi aims to restore Blackpool pride - and that means beating the club he didn't want to leave