Albion’s new season is off to a sorry start after they lost at home – and had Andrew Crofts sent-off.
The Seagulls were beaten 1-0 by Sheffield Wednesday, for whom Giles Coke curled into the top corner on 40 minutes.
Crofts was shown a straight red in the 50th minute for his foul on Sam Hutchinson, which was deemed dangerous by ref James Linington.
Albion only threatened to get back into game in a flurry of activity around the 70th minute. Chris O’Grady saw his shot on the turn brilliantly finger-tipped wide by debut-making Owls keeper Keiren Westwood.
The resulting corner led to Inigo Calderon flashing in a low cross which flew just wide off a defender.
But that was the sum total of the Seagulls’ second-half threat.
Kazenga LuaLua had a first-half effort saved by Westwood.
And the same player rolled a shot just wide of the far post in first-half stoppage time.
But by then Wednesday led through Coke's first time left-foot effort from just outside the box on a somewhat concerning afternoon for home fans.
- The full story - how Barry Fry blasted Albion's treatment of CMS
- Robinson blasts quickfire hundred on Sussex debut
- Video: Peterborough v Crawley match highlights
- Video: Albion v Watford match highlights
- Sussex ready to throw new boy in at the deep end