Albion are up and running under Sami Hyypia – thanks to a first senior goal from Lewis Dunk and a bit of spark off the bench from Kazenga LuaLua.
LuaLua, a 68th minute substitute was involved in both goals as the Seagulls beat dogged Cheltenham 2-0 in the Capital One Cup.
He won and took the corner from which Dunk headed home Inigo Calderon’s precise cross for the 79th-minute opener.
Then LuaLua slid the ball through for Craig Mackail-Smith to add a 90th-minute second.
Albion got better as the tie wore on but looked to be heading for an evening of frustration as Dunk and Chris O’Grady headed over and Kemy Agustien failed to convert a one-on-one cleverly created by O’Grady’s pass.
- Albion keeper relishing return to Ipswich
- McCourt moving towards first team frame for Albion
- Garcia told Albion not to release Orlandi
- Albion boss Hyypia happy to have the pressure of fans' high hopes
- Fortunes vary for Albion's England youngsters