Albion are up and running under Sami Hyypia – thanks to a first senior goal from Lewis Dunk and a bit of spark off the bench from Kazenga LuaLua.
LuaLua, a 68th minute substitute was involved in both goals as the Seagulls beat dogged Cheltenham 2-0 in the Capital One Cup.
He won and took the corner from which Dunk headed home Inigo Calderon’s precise cross for the 79th-minute opener.
Then LuaLua slid the ball through for Craig Mackail-Smith to add a 90th-minute second.
Albion got better as the tie wore on but looked to be heading for an evening of frustration as Dunk and Chris O’Grady headed over and Kemy Agustien failed to convert a one-on-one cleverly created by O’Grady’s pass.
- Bruno: Pitch was worst I've played on
- Hughton unhappy with free-kick decision but admits: "We did ourselves no favours"
- In pictures - Albion sink at Blackpool
- Albion slip back into trouble on grey day at Blackpool
- Albion unchanged, Kayal waits for debut