Sami Hyypia praised Albion’s patience as they overcame a cup hurdle.
The Seagulls scored twice in the last 11 minutes to see off Cheltenham 2-0 in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
Hyypia said: “I thought before the game we needed to be patient.
"We needed to keep the ball moving for the whole 90 minutes and keep concentrating.
“Patience is what we needed because it’s never easy to play these games.
“An early goal would have eased things a little.
“When it’s 0-0 you have to be patient and make sure you don’t concede anything.”
- How single-minded Rosenior will deal with barriers as he targets a managerial career
- Albion to face Harry Kewell's Crawley
- Not their usual overseas signing but Albion will have done their homework on 'cool guy' Gross
- Calde eyes return to England - but don't tell the kids
- Rusk welcomes development signing Kerr