Sami Hyypia praised Albion’s patience as they overcame a cup hurdle.
The Seagulls scored twice in the last 11 minutes to see off Cheltenham 2-0 in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
Hyypia said: “I thought before the game we needed to be patient.
"We needed to keep the ball moving for the whole 90 minutes and keep concentrating.
“Patience is what we needed because it’s never easy to play these games.
“An early goal would have eased things a little.
“When it’s 0-0 you have to be patient and make sure you don’t concede anything.”
- Hyypia has options to plug midfield experience gap
- Talking Point: Hyypia hampered by Albion squad decline
- Have your say on Albion's loan options
- Seagulls to address loan situation in January
- Hyypia vows to turn Albion's fortunes around