Sami Hyypia praised Albion’s patience as they overcame a cup hurdle.
The Seagulls scored twice in the last 11 minutes to see off Cheltenham 2-0 in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
Hyypia said: “I thought before the game we needed to be patient.
"We needed to keep the ball moving for the whole 90 minutes and keep concentrating.
“Patience is what we needed because it’s never easy to play these games.
“An early goal would have eased things a little.
“When it’s 0-0 you have to be patient and make sure you don’t concede anything.”
- Albion keeper hopes for great backing as he heads Home
- Albion duo on the bench for European Championship qualifying matches
- Video: Watch Crawley's home defeat by Gillingham
- Why Greer has extra reason to rock Gibraltar
- Non-league round-up: Burgess Hill edge closer to title, Eastbourne Borough make it four in a row, wins for Bognor and Three Bridges