Albion thought they could have had a penalty at Birmingham – seconds before the home team scored.
Craig Mackail-Smith tumbled under pressure from former Seagulls defender Grant Hall.
But play was waved on and the resulting counter-raid led to Wes Thomas heading the only goal.
There were only muted appeals at the time of the incident.
Initial reaction from the media area in the main stand is that it WASN'T a spot kick.
Albion reviewed video footage of the clash after the match and felt Hall should have been penalised.
Either way, Hyypia did allow the incident to colour his judgement of his side's performance
- First blood to Albion as Hughton pips Boro rival to award
- Captain "ready" for Albion's promotion crunch as Chris Hughton weighs up his options
- Karanka: We're stronger than before - and we're preparing to beat Brighton
- Stockdale reveals message he will deliver to squad
- Albion duo nominated for awards