Albion new boy enjoyed extra-time cup victory

Gary Gardner

Gary Gardner

First published in Sport by

Gary Gardner admits he had no complaints about going to extra-time on his debut.

The Aston Villa midfielder signed on loan until January yesterday and got on as sub at Swindon last night.

He had not trained with his new colleagues but could not wait to get cracking.

Gardner said: “I’m buzzing. I just want to play games.

“For it to go to extra-time gave me more minutes in my legs and that is what I need.”

Gardner took advice from his Villa colleague Joe Bennett before moving to the Amex ahead of other options.

He added: “It’s a brilliant club. I’ve heard a lot of great things.

“I spoke to Joe about it and he said straight away he loves it here. They are ambitious and want to move forward.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:49am Wed 27 Aug 14

Merdalf the Wizard says...

Quote 'he loves it here' future signing I hope!
UTA
Quote 'he loves it here' future signing I hope! UTA Merdalf the Wizard
  • Score: 8

6:58am Wed 27 Aug 14

Alfie T says...

Merdalf the Wizard wrote:
Quote 'he loves it here' future signing I hope!
UTA
Yes, and Bennett hopefully, not sure how long their contracts are with Villa but a real possibility of making the move permanent. Smart way of building a good squad without spending a fortune doing it.
[quote][p][bold]Merdalf the Wizard[/bold] wrote: Quote 'he loves it here' future signing I hope! UTA[/p][/quote]Yes, and Bennett hopefully, not sure how long their contracts are with Villa but a real possibility of making the move permanent. Smart way of building a good squad without spending a fortune doing it. Alfie T
  • Score: 14

8:41am Wed 27 Aug 14

farside says...

Every chance of signing Joe Bennett if it works out but Gary has a new contract at Villa and they rate him (rightly so). He will add pace and power to our midfield once he settles.
Every chance of signing Joe Bennett if it works out but Gary has a new contract at Villa and they rate him (rightly so). He will add pace and power to our midfield once he settles. farside
  • Score: 10

9:00am Wed 27 Aug 14

Conelli98 says...

Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!!
Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!! Conelli98
  • Score: 6

9:27am Wed 27 Aug 14

Joel'sGrandad says...

Looks like both the Villa lads have the right attitude and hopefully will do the business for us. If we're in the mix in January maybe Gary will extend his loan period but I have the feeling Villa are using this initial loan to get him match fit and get some game time.
On another thread I see Will Hoskins came on late for Oxford and laid on their equaliser last night at West Brom. He deserves a bit of luck and hopefully he'll get it at his new club. UTA
Looks like both the Villa lads have the right attitude and hopefully will do the business for us. If we're in the mix in January maybe Gary will extend his loan period but I have the feeling Villa are using this initial loan to get him match fit and get some game time. On another thread I see Will Hoskins came on late for Oxford and laid on their equaliser last night at West Brom. He deserves a bit of luck and hopefully he'll get it at his new club. UTA Joel'sGrandad
  • Score: 13

9:37am Wed 27 Aug 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute!
Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings.
Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute! Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 0

9:40am Wed 27 Aug 14

mikeygit says...

What an endorsement from a player who is an employee of a Premiership Club--spread the word Gary--Praise the Lord!!!!
What an endorsement from a player who is an employee of a Premiership Club--spread the word Gary--Praise the Lord!!!! mikeygit
  • Score: 3

9:42am Wed 27 Aug 14

TheWerewolf says...

Conelli98 wrote:
Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!!
I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much.....
[quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!![/p][/quote]I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much..... TheWerewolf
  • Score: 4

9:47am Wed 27 Aug 14

Albion In Staffs says...

TheWerewolf wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!!
I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much.....
Pardon my cynicism, but the lure of a few extra quid might have an impact too.
Still hopeful though, that such an exciting prospect may choose facilities and opportunity over status.
[quote][p][bold]TheWerewolf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!![/p][/quote]I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much.....[/p][/quote]Pardon my cynicism, but the lure of a few extra quid might have an impact too. Still hopeful though, that such an exciting prospect may choose facilities and opportunity over status. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 4

9:52am Wed 27 Aug 14

Max Ripple says...

TheWerewolf wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!!
I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much.....
Didn't bother Ward much. He's going to be a well paid bench warmer this season.
[quote][p][bold]TheWerewolf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!![/p][/quote]I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much.....[/p][/quote]Didn't bother Ward much. He's going to be a well paid bench warmer this season. Max Ripple
  • Score: 3

11:20am Wed 27 Aug 14

Asleep in Dorset says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute!
Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings.
probably meant he was glad to get nearly an hour in instead of 20 minutes ?
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute! Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings.[/p][/quote]probably meant he was glad to get nearly an hour in instead of 20 minutes ? Asleep in Dorset
  • Score: 2

12:36pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

Max Ripple wrote:
TheWerewolf wrote:
Conelli98 wrote:
Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!!
I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much.....
Didn't bother Ward much. He's going to be a well paid bench warmer this season.
Lenihan has a tough decision to make, go to Hull and stand a good chance of being DS player or, go to Brighton and stand a good chance of being a squad player and a great chance of being a cup match player. Looking ahead to next season the lad might well be our starting right back, I doubt Hull would say the same.
I don't think his decision will come down to money as the wages on offer are probably the same.
[quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TheWerewolf[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Conelli98[/bold] wrote: Good comments from the two villa lads! According to Irish press Lenihan is due to make a decision today after being at Hull yesterday and in Sussex on Monday, one of his teammates reckons he will choose Hull because Meyler is a mate of his!!![/p][/quote]I think it will depend on where he reckons he can get first team football. You would have to think he would get this first with us, but the lure of the Premier League bench might be too much.....[/p][/quote]Didn't bother Ward much. He's going to be a well paid bench warmer this season.[/p][/quote]Lenihan has a tough decision to make, go to Hull and stand a good chance of being DS player or, go to Brighton and stand a good chance of being a squad player and a great chance of being a cup match player. Looking ahead to next season the lad might well be our starting right back, I doubt Hull would say the same. I don't think his decision will come down to money as the wages on offer are probably the same. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 4

12:59pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Asleep in Dorset wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute!
Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings.
probably meant he was glad to get nearly an hour in instead of 20 minutes ?
Undoubtedly you're right, but it just amused me that a footballer would ever have reason to complain about playing extra football.
A warped mind I guess, clearly not shared by those who marked me down!
[quote][p][bold]Asleep in Dorset[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute! Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings.[/p][/quote]probably meant he was glad to get nearly an hour in instead of 20 minutes ?[/p][/quote]Undoubtedly you're right, but it just amused me that a footballer would ever have reason to complain about playing extra football. A warped mind I guess, clearly not shared by those who marked me down! Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 2

1:08pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
Asleep in Dorset wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute!
Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings.
probably meant he was glad to get nearly an hour in instead of 20 minutes ?
Undoubtedly you're right, but it just amused me that a footballer would ever have reason to complain about playing extra football.
A warped mind I guess, clearly not shared by those who marked me down!
Hi Staffs.
With CMS loving the way Hyypia is allowing him to play in a manner that he feels suits him best, and Tex being a nailed on starter, how do see Sami using Colunga?
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Asleep in Dorset[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: Made me laugh "had no complaints about going to extra time." He only came on in the 71st minute! Good performance relative to recent League Cup outings.[/p][/quote]probably meant he was glad to get nearly an hour in instead of 20 minutes ?[/p][/quote]Undoubtedly you're right, but it just amused me that a footballer would ever have reason to complain about playing extra football. A warped mind I guess, clearly not shared by those who marked me down![/p][/quote]Hi Staffs. With CMS loving the way Hyypia is allowing him to play in a manner that he feels suits him best, and Tex being a nailed on starter, how do see Sami using Colunga? VegasSeagull
  • Score: 1

2:50pm Wed 27 Aug 14

sussexram40 says...

Merdalf the Wizard wrote:
Quote 'he loves it here' future signing I hope!
UTA
Every footballer says that about whatever new club he goes to play for. You have to remember that footballers are mercenaries. They will play anywhere. The days of the loyal, one club man are long gone I'm afraid. Players like to keep changing clubs because they get a % of the transfer fee and more money. It's just a job to them.
[quote][p][bold]Merdalf the Wizard[/bold] wrote: Quote 'he loves it here' future signing I hope! UTA[/p][/quote]Every footballer says that about whatever new club he goes to play for. You have to remember that footballers are mercenaries. They will play anywhere. The days of the loyal, one club man are long gone I'm afraid. Players like to keep changing clubs because they get a % of the transfer fee and more money. It's just a job to them. sussexram40
  • Score: -7

4:33pm Wed 27 Aug 14

brightonup says...

Great that he said how much he loves it here.
I am sure we are just the club he needs to restart his career. Good for both clubs and the player - as Sami has said.
Forget the WUM!
Great that he said how much he loves it here. I am sure we are just the club he needs to restart his career. Good for both clubs and the player - as Sami has said. Forget the WUM! brightonup
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree