Signings bonanza - Hyypia hails quality squad as Baldock makes it ELEVEN

Sami Hyypia is delighted

Sami Hyypia is delighted

First published in Sport
Last updated

Sami Hyypia has hailed the “quality and options” in his new-look squad after Albion pulled off a seventh signing in 12 days.

Sam Baldock today became their 11th addition of the summer.

The transfer window closes next Monday but Albion say the "vast majority" of their business has now been completed.

Hyypia praised Albion's recruitment efforts and said: "I'm really pleased with the work we've done and the squad we have here.

“We have quality and options across every position, and will allow us to rotate to cope with the demands of the Championship.

"The recruitment work has been excellent and I would like to thank David Burke and his team for the vital role they've played in identifying, scouting and recruiting our targets."

Albion's head of football David Burke admitted: “It has been a very busy summer of transfer activity and player movements for the club.

"As with all transfer windows, patience has been the key, particularly as we had a very clear and defined target list.

"We are very pleased to have completed the vast majority of our business well ahead of the window closing and, most importantly, to have assembled an exciting and very talented playing squad for the season ahead.”

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:56pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Piglet1 says...

Well done to all involved. Credit where credit is due.
Well done to all involved. Credit where credit is due. Piglet1
  • Score: 24

6:56pm Wed 27 Aug 14

The lev says...

As one of the so called trolls or wums (I had to look that up )

But after the Southampton friendly I was so depressed the team looked terrible so I've been complaining non stop , I would now like to hold my hands up as I may have panicked too early , I think we have a real squad now with a great chance of the play offs. Roll on Saturday !!!
As one of the so called trolls or wums (I had to look that up ) But after the Southampton friendly I was so depressed the team looked terrible so I've been complaining non stop , I would now like to hold my hands up as I may have panicked too early , I think we have a real squad now with a great chance of the play offs. Roll on Saturday !!! The lev
  • Score: 36

6:58pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Joel'sGrandad says...

With this acquisition of Sam Baldock and the others over the last 2 weeks we should be a match for anyone. No excuses and no pressure then.
I don't know about the play offs though. Automatic promotion must be a possibility now. Let's go for it! UTA
With this acquisition of Sam Baldock and the others over the last 2 weeks we should be a match for anyone. No excuses and no pressure then. I don't know about the play offs though. Automatic promotion must be a possibility now. Let's go for it! UTA Joel'sGrandad
  • Score: 13

7:01pm Wed 27 Aug 14

fratsomrover says...

Hyyp, Hyypie, Hy ay
Hyyp, Hyypie, Hy oh
With Sammi here
The goals will flow . ( Sung to the tune of " Night riders in the Sky ")

A you can probably sense, I'm happy with these signings.
Hyyp, Hyypie, Hy ay Hyyp, Hyypie, Hy oh With Sammi here The goals will flow . ( Sung to the tune of " Night riders in the Sky ") A you can probably sense, I'm happy with these signings. fratsomrover
  • Score: 7

7:02pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Kit Napier's Beard says...

Welcome Sam enjoy your time at the Amex, we certainly do.
Assume that our style of play will now change and no high balls into the penalty area will be seen ?
Welcome Sam enjoy your time at the Amex, we certainly do. Assume that our style of play will now change and no high balls into the penalty area will be seen ? Kit Napier's Beard
  • Score: 6

7:07pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

The lev wrote:
As one of the so called trolls or wums (I had to look that up )

But after the Southampton friendly I was so depressed the team looked terrible so I've been complaining non stop , I would now like to hold my hands up as I may have panicked too early , I think we have a real squad now with a great chance of the play offs. Roll on Saturday !!!
People being concerned was understandable, but not trusting Bloom, Burke and Hyypia took a little more understanding. Players of the right type HAD to arrive, there was too much at stake for them not to. True to say that we let a few decent freebies go to our competitors, but I think the squad we now have just proves that we were right to wait. Optimism won out over pesimism, or if you prefer, belief in the suits to deliver won out over fear that they couldn't.
[quote][p][bold]The lev[/bold] wrote: As one of the so called trolls or wums (I had to look that up ) But after the Southampton friendly I was so depressed the team looked terrible so I've been complaining non stop , I would now like to hold my hands up as I may have panicked too early , I think we have a real squad now with a great chance of the play offs. Roll on Saturday !!![/p][/quote]People being concerned was understandable, but not trusting Bloom, Burke and Hyypia took a little more understanding. Players of the right type HAD to arrive, there was too much at stake for them not to. True to say that we let a few decent freebies go to our competitors, but I think the squad we now have just proves that we were right to wait. Optimism won out over pesimism, or if you prefer, belief in the suits to deliver won out over fear that they couldn't. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 25

7:19pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Charlie Baker's Cap says...

So the lesson learned is...... NEVER doubt Tony Bloom again!

Who's going to be the first to say, "Hey, can we afford to pay all these players? It must make a huge wage bill.... no wonder the beer's so expensive!"

Going to be fun this season - starting with guessing who's going to be in the team on Saturday. Just for fun, here's who I think should start.....
Stockdale;
Calderon (or Bruno), Dunk, Greer (unless rested for his Scotland duties, in which case - Hughes), Bennett;
Holla;
McCourt, Gardner, Teixeira, Colunga;
Baldock

Bearing in mind that CMS, March, Crofts, JFC, Ince and Lualua would also be available, Sami has a problem.
So the lesson learned is...... NEVER doubt Tony Bloom again! Who's going to be the first to say, "Hey, can we afford to pay all these players? It must make a huge wage bill.... no wonder the beer's so expensive!" Going to be fun this season - starting with guessing who's going to be in the team on Saturday. Just for fun, here's who I think should start..... Stockdale; Calderon (or Bruno), Dunk, Greer (unless rested for his Scotland duties, in which case - Hughes), Bennett; Holla; McCourt, Gardner, Teixeira, Colunga; Baldock Bearing in mind that CMS, March, Crofts, JFC, Ince and Lualua would also be available, Sami has a problem. Charlie Baker's Cap
  • Score: 3

7:34pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

Two of the four strikers will start each match, no way we can keep three happy whilst only starting one. Not having height up front requires us to pose greater threat with the ball on the ground, again a good enough reason to start two strikers.
I know that we have only played six matches in total, but it seems to me that Dunk and Greer are winning more headers up front this season than we might normaly expect, or is that just my imagination?
Two of the four strikers will start each match, no way we can keep three happy whilst only starting one. Not having height up front requires us to pose greater threat with the ball on the ground, again a good enough reason to start two strikers. I know that we have only played six matches in total, but it seems to me that Dunk and Greer are winning more headers up front this season than we might normaly expect, or is that just my imagination? VegasSeagull
  • Score: 7

7:44pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

Spurs have signed the American kid Yedlin, and the plan was for him to stay over here intil the MLS season comes to an end, that has changed. It's being reported that Spurs are now trying to get him to the UK sooner than planned, if they manage that, we MUST try for a loan deal, this kid is a right back that will scare the pants off defenders and his pace, with or without the ball, is amazing.
Spurs have signed the American kid Yedlin, and the plan was for him to stay over here intil the MLS season comes to an end, that has changed. It's being reported that Spurs are now trying to get him to the UK sooner than planned, if they manage that, we MUST try for a loan deal, this kid is a right back that will scare the pants off defenders and his pace, with or without the ball, is amazing. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 4

7:45pm Wed 27 Aug 14

arc12 says...

Quote - pleased to have completed the vast majority of our business well ahead of the window closing. Majority? Does that mean there might be more?
Quote - pleased to have completed the vast majority of our business well ahead of the window closing. Majority? Does that mean there might be more? arc12
  • Score: 13

8:01pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
The lev wrote:
As one of the so called trolls or wums (I had to look that up )

But after the Southampton friendly I was so depressed the team looked terrible so I've been complaining non stop , I would now like to hold my hands up as I may have panicked too early , I think we have a real squad now with a great chance of the play offs. Roll on Saturday !!!
People being concerned was understandable, but not trusting Bloom, Burke and Hyypia took a little more understanding. Players of the right type HAD to arrive, there was too much at stake for them not to. True to say that we let a few decent freebies go to our competitors, but I think the squad we now have just proves that we were right to wait. Optimism won out over pesimism, or if you prefer, belief in the suits to deliver won out over fear that they couldn't.
And those of us who never wavered in our faith that a squad of this quality was always likely to be assembled before the deadline can relax knowing that we enjoyed the last few weeks a lot more than did those of a more nervous - and shall we say untrusting? - nature.

Excellent work from all involved. The future's Brighton!
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The lev[/bold] wrote: As one of the so called trolls or wums (I had to look that up ) But after the Southampton friendly I was so depressed the team looked terrible so I've been complaining non stop , I would now like to hold my hands up as I may have panicked too early , I think we have a real squad now with a great chance of the play offs. Roll on Saturday !!![/p][/quote]People being concerned was understandable, but not trusting Bloom, Burke and Hyypia took a little more understanding. Players of the right type HAD to arrive, there was too much at stake for them not to. True to say that we let a few decent freebies go to our competitors, but I think the squad we now have just proves that we were right to wait. Optimism won out over pesimism, or if you prefer, belief in the suits to deliver won out over fear that they couldn't.[/p][/quote]And those of us who never wavered in our faith that a squad of this quality was always likely to be assembled before the deadline can relax knowing that we enjoyed the last few weeks a lot more than did those of a more nervous - and shall we say untrusting? - nature. Excellent work from all involved. The future's Brighton! Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 10

8:02pm Wed 27 Aug 14

tug509 says...

Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA
Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA tug509
  • Score: 4

8:09pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

tug509 wrote:
Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA
Hi Tug.
Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one.
Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound.
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA[/p][/quote]Hi Tug. Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one. Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 2

8:23pm Wed 27 Aug 14

stonegold says...

Any regrets now Mr Ward? None at this end.
Any regrets now Mr Ward? None at this end. stonegold
  • Score: 15

8:46pm Wed 27 Aug 14

tug509 says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
tug509 wrote:
Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA
Hi Tug.
Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one.
Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound.
Hi Vegas , I have never thought Maksimenko was good enough for this level ,no offence to the guy .But I did read somewhere ,and I cant find it ,but I definitely read that Lenihan ,should we be lucky enough to sign him would be DS at least for a while ?. I think our squad is taking form nicely ,and while I don't wont to take away with one hand ,what I give with the other ,I still agree with those that say we have given 6 points away ,the team we have now would have embarrassed the Wendies and Brum imho. Certain genii would claim that every signing is reliant on another being made ,this is wrong in our case , almost all of our signings have been Free agents or loans . UTA
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA[/p][/quote]Hi Tug. Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one. Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound.[/p][/quote]Hi Vegas , I have never thought Maksimenko was good enough for this level ,no offence to the guy .But I did read somewhere ,and I cant find it ,but I definitely read that Lenihan ,should we be lucky enough to sign him would be DS at least for a while ?. I think our squad is taking form nicely ,and while I don't wont to take away with one hand ,what I give with the other ,I still agree with those that say we have given 6 points away ,the team we have now would have embarrassed the Wendies and Brum imho. Certain genii would claim that every signing is reliant on another being made ,this is wrong in our case , almost all of our signings have been Free agents or loans . UTA tug509
  • Score: 1

9:01pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

tug509 wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
tug509 wrote:
Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA
Hi Tug.
Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one.
Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound.
Hi Vegas , I have never thought Maksimenko was good enough for this level ,no offence to the guy .But I did read somewhere ,and I cant find it ,but I definitely read that Lenihan ,should we be lucky enough to sign him would be DS at least for a while ?. I think our squad is taking form nicely ,and while I don't wont to take away with one hand ,what I give with the other ,I still agree with those that say we have given 6 points away ,the team we have now would have embarrassed the Wendies and Brum imho. Certain genii would claim that every signing is reliant on another being made ,this is wrong in our case , almost all of our signings have been Free agents or loans . UTA
Tug regarding the '6 points,' they were only, 'given,' away if we had the chance to sign all the players we now have earlier, and clearly we didn't.
Would we have won both those games with the squad we have today, probably, but we didn't have today's squad. Liverpool decided when and if we got Tex, just as other clubs decided when and if we got their players on loan.
My guess is that some of hese dels have been simmering for a while but getting them done was not in our hands. Do you recall Hyypia saying how frustrating it all was a couple of weeks back. Sami knew who we were after, and he knew that it was likely that they would arrive, but that arrival date was not ours to command.
Baldock was never going to arrive until his club had replaced him, something they managed to do last week.

In conclusion, I don't see that we have given up 6 points, fact is at the time of those matches we didn't have a team good enough to win them.
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA[/p][/quote]Hi Tug. Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one. Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound.[/p][/quote]Hi Vegas , I have never thought Maksimenko was good enough for this level ,no offence to the guy .But I did read somewhere ,and I cant find it ,but I definitely read that Lenihan ,should we be lucky enough to sign him would be DS at least for a while ?. I think our squad is taking form nicely ,and while I don't wont to take away with one hand ,what I give with the other ,I still agree with those that say we have given 6 points away ,the team we have now would have embarrassed the Wendies and Brum imho. Certain genii would claim that every signing is reliant on another being made ,this is wrong in our case , almost all of our signings have been Free agents or loans . UTA[/p][/quote]Tug regarding the '6 points,' they were only, 'given,' away if we had the chance to sign all the players we now have earlier, and clearly we didn't. Would we have won both those games with the squad we have today, probably, but we didn't have today's squad. Liverpool decided when and if we got Tex, just as other clubs decided when and if we got their players on loan. My guess is that some of hese dels have been simmering for a while but getting them done was not in our hands. Do you recall Hyypia saying how frustrating it all was a couple of weeks back. Sami knew who we were after, and he knew that it was likely that they would arrive, but that arrival date was not ours to command. Baldock was never going to arrive until his club had replaced him, something they managed to do last week. In conclusion, I don't see that we have given up 6 points, fact is at the time of those matches we didn't have a team good enough to win them. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 5

9:45pm Wed 27 Aug 14

tug509 says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
tug509 wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
tug509 wrote:
Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA
Hi Tug.
Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one.
Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound.
Hi Vegas , I have never thought Maksimenko was good enough for this level ,no offence to the guy .But I did read somewhere ,and I cant find it ,but I definitely read that Lenihan ,should we be lucky enough to sign him would be DS at least for a while ?. I think our squad is taking form nicely ,and while I don't wont to take away with one hand ,what I give with the other ,I still agree with those that say we have given 6 points away ,the team we have now would have embarrassed the Wendies and Brum imho. Certain genii would claim that every signing is reliant on another being made ,this is wrong in our case , almost all of our signings have been Free agents or loans . UTA
Tug regarding the '6 points,' they were only, 'given,' away if we had the chance to sign all the players we now have earlier, and clearly we didn't.
Would we have won both those games with the squad we have today, probably, but we didn't have today's squad. Liverpool decided when and if we got Tex, just as other clubs decided when and if we got their players on loan.
My guess is that some of hese dels have been simmering for a while but getting them done was not in our hands. Do you recall Hyypia saying how frustrating it all was a couple of weeks back. Sami knew who we were after, and he knew that it was likely that they would arrive, but that arrival date was not ours to command.
Baldock was never going to arrive until his club had replaced him, something they managed to do last week.

In conclusion, I don't see that we have given up 6 points, fact is at the time of those matches we didn't have a team good enough to win them.
True you pedant but surely the free agents could have been brought in earlier ,even if only 1 or 2 ,but Vegas mate I`m happy as the brother of Cerberus , 1 head 3 sets of fun !!!.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: Agreed ,Burke and his team have done marvels ,and I made my apologies on the other thread . No criticism , but if we want a CB what about Sean St Ledger ,free agent ?. The lad Lenihan is not guaranteed ,and would by all accounts join the DS anyway . UTA[/p][/quote]Hi Tug. Yep I would still like to see another CB arrive, either that or a few words for Sami regarding how he sees Maksi's role, if he has one. Lenihan for the DS, (should we get him) I don't think so mate, I have a feeling that Sami would give him his chance. If the lad goes to Hull then yeah, DS bound.[/p][/quote]Hi Vegas , I have never thought Maksimenko was good enough for this level ,no offence to the guy .But I did read somewhere ,and I cant find it ,but I definitely read that Lenihan ,should we be lucky enough to sign him would be DS at least for a while ?. I think our squad is taking form nicely ,and while I don't wont to take away with one hand ,what I give with the other ,I still agree with those that say we have given 6 points away ,the team we have now would have embarrassed the Wendies and Brum imho. Certain genii would claim that every signing is reliant on another being made ,this is wrong in our case , almost all of our signings have been Free agents or loans . UTA[/p][/quote]Tug regarding the '6 points,' they were only, 'given,' away if we had the chance to sign all the players we now have earlier, and clearly we didn't. Would we have won both those games with the squad we have today, probably, but we didn't have today's squad. Liverpool decided when and if we got Tex, just as other clubs decided when and if we got their players on loan. My guess is that some of hese dels have been simmering for a while but getting them done was not in our hands. Do you recall Hyypia saying how frustrating it all was a couple of weeks back. Sami knew who we were after, and he knew that it was likely that they would arrive, but that arrival date was not ours to command. Baldock was never going to arrive until his club had replaced him, something they managed to do last week. In conclusion, I don't see that we have given up 6 points, fact is at the time of those matches we didn't have a team good enough to win them.[/p][/quote]True you pedant but surely the free agents could have been brought in earlier ,even if only 1 or 2 ,but Vegas mate I`m happy as the brother of Cerberus , 1 head 3 sets of fun !!!. tug509
  • Score: 1

9:56pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.
Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 2

10:12pm Wed 27 Aug 14

The Tube says...

Strongest squad for years now. Money in the bank too!!! We are a very well run club. Happy days.

UTA
Strongest squad for years now. Money in the bank too!!! We are a very well run club. Happy days. UTA The Tube
  • Score: 11

10:23pm Wed 27 Aug 14

brightonup says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.
A pedant is someone who is 'pedantic'..... and looks (perhaps 'fussily') at small details.
I hope that helps.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.[/p][/quote]A pedant is someone who is 'pedantic'..... and looks (perhaps 'fussily') at small details. I hope that helps. brightonup
  • Score: 7

10:29pm Wed 27 Aug 14

tug509 says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.
Not at all my mate ,it merely means you are very precise ,accurate , very good point for your clients I would think . You adhere strictly to the rules , and therefore possibly wont bend to an alternative . I wouldn`t qualify I`m a screw loose type ,but it is definitely not an insult . palace ,now that's an insult ! .
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.[/p][/quote]Not at all my mate ,it merely means you are very precise ,accurate , very good point for your clients I would think . You adhere strictly to the rules , and therefore possibly wont bend to an alternative . I wouldn`t qualify I`m a screw loose type ,but it is definitely not an insult . palace ,now that's an insult ! . tug509
  • Score: 8

10:32pm Wed 27 Aug 14

tug509 says...

brightonup wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.
A pedant is someone who is 'pedantic'..... and looks (perhaps 'fussily') at small details.
I hope that helps.
Cheers Brightonup , appreciate that . UTA
[quote][p][bold]brightonup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.[/p][/quote]A pedant is someone who is 'pedantic'..... and looks (perhaps 'fussily') at small details. I hope that helps.[/p][/quote]Cheers Brightonup , appreciate that . UTA tug509
  • Score: 2

11:42pm Wed 27 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

tug509 wrote:
brightonup wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.
A pedant is someone who is 'pedantic'..... and looks (perhaps 'fussily') at small details.
I hope that helps.
Cheers Brightonup , appreciate that . UTA
Thanks to both of you. Details, yes it's all in the details.

If you look at the details of our present squad, and I say present becuase I think it might yet change again, we seem to have certain players that are, 'nailed on,' starters. Stockdale, Greer, Joao and Bennett all look certainties for the team sheet but none of the others do, not even CMS and some say this is the best squad we have ever had. When we the fans have a hard time naming our top starting eleven that would suggest that our squad is indeed the best we have ever had.

Anyone on this forum can add seven names to those four I have mentioned and find themselves able to make good arguement why they are right, even if the various lists differ, that is a sign of a good squad.
Some might say that we lack height up front, and of course they would be right, but look at how much we have gained by way of, 'ball at the feet,' skills. There have been times over the last three seasons when we have had some pretty good fire power on the park, but when looking at this squad, I don't think we have ever had what we have now, not when all are fit.

Is this a promotion winning squad, who knows, but are there six better squads in our division, enough to keep us out of the top six, well on paper it doesn't look like it. Consistency is going to be the key, we must find a level of play that is good enough to get a result and maintain that level, much as Leicester did last season. At times last season we blew a tad hot and cold and whilst we can't expect the team to play at their top level week in and week out, that just doesn't happen, maintaining a good standard for the whole season should be within our reach.
[quote][p][bold]tug509[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brightonup[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: Tug I accept that I might look foolish is asking, and I accept that but, is being called a, 'pedant,' a nice thing or a bad thing, it's not a term that I am aware of.[/p][/quote]A pedant is someone who is 'pedantic'..... and looks (perhaps 'fussily') at small details. I hope that helps.[/p][/quote]Cheers Brightonup , appreciate that . UTA[/p][/quote]Thanks to both of you. Details, yes it's all in the details. If you look at the details of our present squad, and I say present becuase I think it might yet change again, we seem to have certain players that are, 'nailed on,' starters. Stockdale, Greer, Joao and Bennett all look certainties for the team sheet but none of the others do, not even CMS and some say this is the best squad we have ever had. When we the fans have a hard time naming our top starting eleven that would suggest that our squad is indeed the best we have ever had. Anyone on this forum can add seven names to those four I have mentioned and find themselves able to make good arguement why they are right, even if the various lists differ, that is a sign of a good squad. Some might say that we lack height up front, and of course they would be right, but look at how much we have gained by way of, 'ball at the feet,' skills. There have been times over the last three seasons when we have had some pretty good fire power on the park, but when looking at this squad, I don't think we have ever had what we have now, not when all are fit. Is this a promotion winning squad, who knows, but are there six better squads in our division, enough to keep us out of the top six, well on paper it doesn't look like it. Consistency is going to be the key, we must find a level of play that is good enough to get a result and maintain that level, much as Leicester did last season. At times last season we blew a tad hot and cold and whilst we can't expect the team to play at their top level week in and week out, that just doesn't happen, maintaining a good standard for the whole season should be within our reach. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 7

4:24am Thu 28 Aug 14

Alan Duffy says...

Apologies to Tony, David and Paul for doubting you. So funny that so many people on here are now finger pointing and claiming they weren't concerned, panic swept through the Argus comments like an epidemic.
Apologies to Tony, David and Paul for doubting you. So funny that so many people on here are now finger pointing and claiming they weren't concerned, panic swept through the Argus comments like an epidemic. Alan Duffy
  • Score: 8

9:03am Thu 28 Aug 14

franckiep en france says...

Great news >>>up we go>>lot of talk still about a tall striker, Sami was a huge defender, do you not think he knows what is hardest to defend?? >>A good small one can always (most Times) beat a good bigun IMHO.
Great news >>>up we go>>lot of talk still about a tall striker, Sami was a huge defender, do you not think he knows what is hardest to defend?? >>A good small one can always (most Times) beat a good bigun IMHO. franckiep en france
  • Score: 4

5:45pm Thu 28 Aug 14

Aldrington Halt says...

franckiep en france wrote:
Great news >>>up we go>>lot of talk still about a tall striker, Sami was a huge defender, do you not think he knows what is hardest to defend?? >>A good small one can always (most Times) beat a good bigun IMHO.
Good insight Franckiep! Lionel Messi. 5' 7" need I say more here? As Sami will attest when on the ball these smaller lighter guys can turn inside and run rings around a larger opponent. Maybe we need a taller striker for an aerial attacking option, but with the way our defenders are attacking right now maybe not..UTA!!
[quote][p][bold]franckiep en france[/bold] wrote: Great news >>>up we go>>lot of talk still about a tall striker, Sami was a huge defender, do you not think he knows what is hardest to defend?? >>A good small one can always (most Times) beat a good bigun IMHO.[/p][/quote]Good insight Franckiep! Lionel Messi. 5' 7" need I say more here? As Sami will attest when on the ball these smaller lighter guys can turn inside and run rings around a larger opponent. Maybe we need a taller striker for an aerial attacking option, but with the way our defenders are attacking right now maybe not..UTA!! Aldrington Halt
  • Score: 2
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree