Poyet fears injury crisis for Charlton test

The Argus: Albion are eager to have Wayne Bridge fit for Charlton Albion are eager to have Wayne Bridge fit for Charlton

 Albion boss Gus Poyet is desperate to have Wayne Bridge and Adam El-Abd fit to face Charlton on Saturday to ease a defensive injury crisis.


  Bridge (calf), El-Abd (calf) and Marcos Painter (calf) all missed Saturday's 3-0 derby defeat at Crystal Palace.


  Painter has already been ruled out of the trip to The Valley and Poyet's back four headache has been compounded by a ban for Lewis Dunk for his early red card at Palace.


  The Seagulls ended up with Liam Bridcutt at left-back at Selhurst Park with Bridge and Painter sidelined, Inigo Calderon switched to centre half following Dunk's dismissal and Andrea Orlandi forced off by a suspected broken rib after he had been moved from midfield into the defence.


  Poyet revealed to The Argus: "Marcos has got a small tear in his calf, so he is out for a while, between two or three weeks.


  "Now it's going to be a case of getting Bridgey back or playing Calde. Then at centre half we need to make sure the medical staff produce something and get Adam El-Abd back.


  "Wayne has got the biggest chance to be fit. Adam was allright, then on Thursday he didn't feel right and we had to stop him. We need to make sure they are there. Sometimes you need to push it. Let's hope it can happen."


  Dunk lost control of the ball and brought down man-of-the-match Yannick Bolasie. Palace cashed in with goals either side of half-time by former Seagull Glenn Murray, the second a penalty, and another penalty from Owen Garvan.


  Poyet said: "He (Dunk) was too casual. You need to deal with the situation. He is young and I hope he learns from it."


  Albion's first defeat in eight games dropped them to eighth, two points outside the play-offs.

Comments (57)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:43am Mon 3 Dec 12

Willie, Willie Irvine says...

Okay, Dunk was caught out and left himself with too much to do. What was 'mature' Greer's excuse for his totally stupid and pointless shove on Murray to give Palace the third penalty? Talk about a deathwish...
Okay, Dunk was caught out and left himself with too much to do. What was 'mature' Greer's excuse for his totally stupid and pointless shove on Murray to give Palace the third penalty? Talk about a deathwish... Willie, Willie Irvine

9:45am Mon 3 Dec 12

piogold says...

Romain Vincelot, where are you when we need you?
Romain Vincelot, where are you when we need you? piogold

9:45am Mon 3 Dec 12

Willie, Willie Irvine says...

Correction - second penalty, third goal...

Meanwhile, I'm sure you'll work something out for Charlton, Gus.
Correction - second penalty, third goal... Meanwhile, I'm sure you'll work something out for Charlton, Gus. Willie, Willie Irvine

10:00am Mon 3 Dec 12

Vicente_1 says...

Why did gus get rid of vincelot you have to use your squad as throughout the year you will have injuries. I guess you cant expect 3 injuries and a red card to defenders but surely we had a youngster to put on the bench? Yeah it would have been throwing them in at the deep end but sometimes you discover more about a player when that happens! Think Gus is still learning squad rotation lets be honest hes been a manager 3 years people like wenger and ferguson are still learning and make mistakes. Were building a good squad just missing that spark a "zaha" or "taarabt" a couple of years ago even "lambert" last year. Maybe i should say we have the spark but hes sitting sulking and doesnt wanna play for us
Why did gus get rid of vincelot you have to use your squad as throughout the year you will have injuries. I guess you cant expect 3 injuries and a red card to defenders but surely we had a youngster to put on the bench? Yeah it would have been throwing them in at the deep end but sometimes you discover more about a player when that happens! Think Gus is still learning squad rotation lets be honest hes been a manager 3 years people like wenger and ferguson are still learning and make mistakes. Were building a good squad just missing that spark a "zaha" or "taarabt" a couple of years ago even "lambert" last year. Maybe i should say we have the spark but hes sitting sulking and doesnt wanna play for us Vicente_1

10:00am Mon 3 Dec 12

Vicente_1 says...

Why did gus get rid of vincelot you have to use your squad as throughout the year you will have injuries. I guess you cant expect 3 injuries and a red card to defenders but surely we had a youngster to put on the bench? Yeah it would have been throwing them in at the deep end but sometimes you discover more about a player when that happens! Think Gus is still learning squad rotation lets be honest hes been a manager 3 years people like wenger and ferguson are still learning and make mistakes. Were building a good squad just missing that spark a "zaha" or "taarabt" a couple of years ago even "lambert" last year. Maybe i should say we have the spark but hes sitting sulking and doesnt wanna play for us
Why did gus get rid of vincelot you have to use your squad as throughout the year you will have injuries. I guess you cant expect 3 injuries and a red card to defenders but surely we had a youngster to put on the bench? Yeah it would have been throwing them in at the deep end but sometimes you discover more about a player when that happens! Think Gus is still learning squad rotation lets be honest hes been a manager 3 years people like wenger and ferguson are still learning and make mistakes. Were building a good squad just missing that spark a "zaha" or "taarabt" a couple of years ago even "lambert" last year. Maybe i should say we have the spark but hes sitting sulking and doesnt wanna play for us Vicente_1

10:04am Mon 3 Dec 12

Tommy11 says...

Gus.. Please please can we bring in some aerial ability in Jan. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. I REPEAT.. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. It's all getting very boring now. As a player... Gus was superb in the air...why he can not see that we are lacking this is incredible. We are just too small! we need a big strong midfield player & a big strong striker.. simple as that. I think we can get away with GG and El-Abd at the back.

I was at Palace on Sat. They are stronger than us and we deserved to lose. Some of Gus's players are very suspect. True, Orlandi and Bruno are very gifted football players. BUT THEY LACK BOTTLE. As normal, I witnessed them both bottle 50/50's on a few occasions.... and Bruno for some reason AVOIDS trying to head a ball, which gets right up my nose. They are good players, and we have a good team..but Gus can not achieve EVRYTHING with fancy football...it just does not work and Palace proved that. Also they proved that 2 wingers works well.....Letting Noone go now seems a bad move, as players like Orlandi is not the answer...sorry.
Gus.. Please please can we bring in some aerial ability in Jan. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. I REPEAT.. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. It's all getting very boring now. As a player... Gus was superb in the air...why he can not see that we are lacking this is incredible. We are just too small! we need a big strong midfield player & a big strong striker.. simple as that. I think we can get away with GG and El-Abd at the back. I was at Palace on Sat. They are stronger than us and we deserved to lose. Some of Gus's players are very suspect. True, Orlandi and Bruno are very gifted football players. BUT THEY LACK BOTTLE. As normal, I witnessed them both bottle 50/50's on a few occasions.... and Bruno for some reason AVOIDS trying to head a ball, which gets right up my nose. They are good players, and we have a good team..but Gus can not achieve EVRYTHING with fancy football...it just does not work and Palace proved that. Also they proved that 2 wingers works well.....Letting Noone go now seems a bad move, as players like Orlandi is not the answer...sorry. Tommy11

10:30am Mon 3 Dec 12

mr punch says...

Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it. mr punch

10:48am Mon 3 Dec 12

Dr Baldhead says...

Can't we recall Vincelot? As the parent club, I'd have thought this is our right. he can play centre back or full back and he certainly can head a ball.

Tommy 11 - you're right that Bruno can't head particularly well. I've noticed this before, but he more than makes up for that in other aspects of his game. Other positions than right back are more a cause for concern.
Can't we recall Vincelot? As the parent club, I'd have thought this is our right. he can play centre back or full back and he certainly can head a ball. Tommy 11 - you're right that Bruno can't head particularly well. I've noticed this before, but he more than makes up for that in other aspects of his game. Other positions than right back are more a cause for concern. Dr Baldhead

10:53am Mon 3 Dec 12

ballantrrae says...

As regular Posters on this site no doubt will remember I have consistently been suggesting that we needed another CB.
Indeed I posted yet again to that effect about a week ago saying we were vulnerable defensively if suspensions and injuries went against us.
Clearly having no defensive cover on the bench did not help our cause when we went down to 10 men on Saturday - it really invited a disaster. At the very least young Sampayo who did play once or twice for the first team last season might have been included.
Hopefully Poyet will follow his instinct in the January window and rectify the situation. He did after all state after Elphick (and Hall) left that another CB was needed.
Lets hope that Bridge at the very least and also El-Arb are fit for the Charlton game.
As regular Posters on this site no doubt will remember I have consistently been suggesting that we needed another CB. Indeed I posted yet again to that effect about a week ago saying we were vulnerable defensively if suspensions and injuries went against us. Clearly having no defensive cover on the bench did not help our cause when we went down to 10 men on Saturday - it really invited a disaster. At the very least young Sampayo who did play once or twice for the first team last season might have been included. Hopefully Poyet will follow his instinct in the January window and rectify the situation. He did after all state after Elphick (and Hall) left that another CB was needed. Lets hope that Bridge at the very least and also El-Arb are fit for the Charlton game. ballantrrae

12:42pm Mon 3 Dec 12

LAWgull says...

ballantrrae wrote:
As regular Posters on this site no doubt will remember I have consistently been suggesting that we needed another CB. Indeed I posted yet again to that effect about a week ago saying we were vulnerable defensively if suspensions and injuries went against us. Clearly having no defensive cover on the bench did not help our cause when we went down to 10 men on Saturday - it really invited a disaster. At the very least young Sampayo who did play once or twice for the first team last season might have been included. Hopefully Poyet will follow his instinct in the January window and rectify the situation. He did after all state after Elphick (and Hall) left that another CB was needed. Lets hope that Bridge at the very least and also El-Arb are fit for the Charlton game.
No Doubt gus will be saying right up to match time that he has a full squad to choose from apart from Dunk and elusive Spaniard
[quote][p][bold]ballantrrae[/bold] wrote: As regular Posters on this site no doubt will remember I have consistently been suggesting that we needed another CB. Indeed I posted yet again to that effect about a week ago saying we were vulnerable defensively if suspensions and injuries went against us. Clearly having no defensive cover on the bench did not help our cause when we went down to 10 men on Saturday - it really invited a disaster. At the very least young Sampayo who did play once or twice for the first team last season might have been included. Hopefully Poyet will follow his instinct in the January window and rectify the situation. He did after all state after Elphick (and Hall) left that another CB was needed. Lets hope that Bridge at the very least and also El-Arb are fit for the Charlton game.[/p][/quote]No Doubt gus will be saying right up to match time that he has a full squad to choose from apart from Dunk and elusive Spaniard LAWgull

12:58pm Mon 3 Dec 12

pappaK says...

Security check bags when we go into the Amex,is that a booze check? Saturday cost me £36.00 for 3 tickets.....
1 beer,2 Pepsi,2 pies ,1 hot dog = £19.00.I will take a pack lunch next time with some sick pills.They charge like a wounded bull and put on a S## T
display.For those prices we could afford a coach that does not have a long nose
Security check bags when we go into the Amex,is that a booze check? Saturday cost me £36.00 for 3 tickets..... 1 beer,2 Pepsi,2 pies ,1 hot dog = £19.00.I will take a pack lunch next time with some sick pills.They charge like a wounded bull and put on a S## T display.For those prices we could afford a coach that does not have a long nose pappaK

1:04pm Mon 3 Dec 12

northstand4 says...

mr punch wrote:
Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
[quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA northstand4

1:50pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Hovite says...

northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote:
Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm.

I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o)

So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
[quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA Hovite

1:56pm Mon 3 Dec 12

VegasSeagull says...

Gus has said that we need an extra center back, this is not new news, but we haven't signed one, why not? Did the board say no to the request for money?
We haven't signed the elusive target man either, could the reason be the same?
When a manager goes public about what ne needs but nothing happens, he either has done a 360 turn around in his assesment of the squad or, he has been told no by his bosses.

We were told Vicente would be ready around Christmas time, if that is to happen we should expect to hear of him training with the squad any day now. He will also need to get match fit, either by playing with the DV squad, and or playing in a couple of friendlies. Don't hold your breath on this one.
Gus has said that we need an extra center back, this is not new news, but we haven't signed one, why not? Did the board say no to the request for money? We haven't signed the elusive target man either, could the reason be the same? When a manager goes public about what ne needs but nothing happens, he either has done a 360 turn around in his assesment of the squad or, he has been told no by his bosses. We were told Vicente would be ready around Christmas time, if that is to happen we should expect to hear of him training with the squad any day now. He will also need to get match fit, either by playing with the DV squad, and or playing in a couple of friendlies. Don't hold your breath on this one. VegasSeagull

2:29pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Claude Back says...

Hovite wrote:
northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote:
Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm.

I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o)

So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
Nice humour, Hovite. Made me laugh.
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA[/p][/quote]Nice humour, Hovite. Made me laugh. Claude Back

2:33pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Claude Back says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Gus has said that we need an extra center back, this is not new news, but we haven't signed one, why not? Did the board say no to the request for money?
We haven't signed the elusive target man either, could the reason be the same?
When a manager goes public about what ne needs but nothing happens, he either has done a 360 turn around in his assesment of the squad or, he has been told no by his bosses.

We were told Vicente would be ready around Christmas time, if that is to happen we should expect to hear of him training with the squad any day now. He will also need to get match fit, either by playing with the DV squad, and or playing in a couple of friendlies. Don't hold your breath on this one.
I think Vicente is suffering from depression.
He is depressed at the thought of having to play!
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: Gus has said that we need an extra center back, this is not new news, but we haven't signed one, why not? Did the board say no to the request for money? We haven't signed the elusive target man either, could the reason be the same? When a manager goes public about what ne needs but nothing happens, he either has done a 360 turn around in his assesment of the squad or, he has been told no by his bosses. We were told Vicente would be ready around Christmas time, if that is to happen we should expect to hear of him training with the squad any day now. He will also need to get match fit, either by playing with the DV squad, and or playing in a couple of friendlies. Don't hold your breath on this one.[/p][/quote]I think Vicente is suffering from depression. He is depressed at the thought of having to play! Claude Back

2:41pm Mon 3 Dec 12

VegasSeagull says...

Well as Hovite says, he only has 9 more days to be depressed.
Well as Hovite says, he only has 9 more days to be depressed. VegasSeagull

2:42pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Tommy11 says...

Hovite wrote:
northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA[/p][/quote]Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up. Tommy11

2:53pm Mon 3 Dec 12

john newman says...

What about Hall!! Allowed to leave for Tottenham. He could head a ball. Time to look at recalling players sent out as well..... Time to sort out these so called fringe players.
What about Hall!! Allowed to leave for Tottenham. He could head a ball. Time to look at recalling players sent out as well..... Time to sort out these so called fringe players. john newman

2:58pm Mon 3 Dec 12

seagullsays says...

Tommy11 wrote:
Hovite wrote:
northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.
I expect Vicente will choose to declare himself fit and dedicated at that point as well.
[quote][p][bold]Tommy11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA[/p][/quote]Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.[/p][/quote]I expect Vicente will choose to declare himself fit and dedicated at that point as well. seagullsays

3:01pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Dr Baldhead says...

Actually Grant Hall, Tommy Elphick, Steve Cook and Romain Vincelot is a pretty decent back four. Not as good as our first choice one admittedly, but all capable deputies.
Actually Grant Hall, Tommy Elphick, Steve Cook and Romain Vincelot is a pretty decent back four. Not as good as our first choice one admittedly, but all capable deputies. Dr Baldhead

3:05pm Mon 3 Dec 12

VegasSeagull says...

I guess the situation we find ourselves in is only a problem if promotion was the genuine target for this season, and I doubt that it was.
Even with the injuries the squad is carrying we are only two points out of the playoffs, and we have many more games to go.

I would like to think that we are good enough for a top ten finish, that might not please some but I would take it as a stepping stone for the future.

It might be that a clear out comes at the end of the season and that we will see the number of players in the first team squad gets reduced. Whilst I don't always understand every decision Gus makes, I do hold faith with the guy.
I guess the situation we find ourselves in is only a problem if promotion was the genuine target for this season, and I doubt that it was. Even with the injuries the squad is carrying we are only two points out of the playoffs, and we have many more games to go. I would like to think that we are good enough for a top ten finish, that might not please some but I would take it as a stepping stone for the future. It might be that a clear out comes at the end of the season and that we will see the number of players in the first team squad gets reduced. Whilst I don't always understand every decision Gus makes, I do hold faith with the guy. VegasSeagull

3:22pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Old Scrote of the Amex says...

john newman wrote:
What about Hall!! Allowed to leave for Tottenham. He could head a ball. Time to look at recalling players sent out as well..... Time to sort out these so called fringe players.
As far as I recall, there was nothing Brighton could do to stop Hall's leaving for Spurs.

Also, players on a season long loan can't be recalled at all, can they?
[quote][p][bold]john newman[/bold] wrote: What about Hall!! Allowed to leave for Tottenham. He could head a ball. Time to look at recalling players sent out as well..... Time to sort out these so called fringe players.[/p][/quote]As far as I recall, there was nothing Brighton could do to stop Hall's leaving for Spurs. Also, players on a season long loan can't be recalled at all, can they? Old Scrote of the Amex

3:24pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Old Scrote of the Amex says...

Assuming that mr punch = compotolox = gusset snatcher = freeloaders (same WUM style and lack of spelling/grammar/pun
ctuation), isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? It would stop a lot of the childish idiots from hiding behind pseudonyms, although I guess me punch is not yet old enough to have a legal Facebook account. Just a thought... as you were!
Assuming that mr punch = compotolox = gusset snatcher = freeloaders (same WUM style and lack of spelling/grammar/pun ctuation), isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? It would stop a lot of the childish idiots from hiding behind pseudonyms, although I guess me punch is not yet old enough to have a legal Facebook account. Just a thought... as you were! Old Scrote of the Amex

3:36pm Mon 3 Dec 12

mark5 says...

Not sure I agree with this at all. I suspect that promotion or a top 6 place finish is very much a "genuine target" for this year by the current board. Gus has been given more money at his disposal to sign players that HE wants to play HIS system, more so, in fact than any Albion manager. This has not been dished out with the hope of a top 10 finish, although, like you this is where I believe we will finish. Despite the money, whether it be through signings or loan salaries, we do not have a side that is consistent enough to mount a meaningfull challenge and probably only 5 or 6 players that could maintain status in a higher division. For me, many signings have been questionable to say the least, and have not performed to expectation, if indeed, they have been given the chance to do so anyway! I would be surprised if Tony Bloom is not beginning to scatch his head and wonder what is wrong..........!
Not sure I agree with this at all. I suspect that promotion or a top 6 place finish is very much a "genuine target" for this year by the current board. Gus has been given more money at his disposal to sign players that HE wants to play HIS system, more so, in fact than any Albion manager. This has not been dished out with the hope of a top 10 finish, although, like you this is where I believe we will finish. Despite the money, whether it be through signings or loan salaries, we do not have a side that is consistent enough to mount a meaningfull challenge and probably only 5 or 6 players that could maintain status in a higher division. For me, many signings have been questionable to say the least, and have not performed to expectation, if indeed, they have been given the chance to do so anyway! I would be surprised if Tony Bloom is not beginning to scatch his head and wonder what is wrong..........! mark5

3:40pm Mon 3 Dec 12

john newman says...

As for Hall leaving, the Albion let his negotiations fall off the radar and he said he was ignored. Good promising players must be kept not talent spotted by lowly premier clubs. Funny they picked him up when we let a gem go through our fingers...........
As for Hall leaving, the Albion let his negotiations fall off the radar and he said he was ignored. Good promising players must be kept not talent spotted by lowly premier clubs. Funny they picked him up when we let a gem go through our fingers........... john newman

3:42pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Old Scrote of the Amex says...

mark5 wrote:
Not sure I agree with this at all. I suspect that promotion or a top 6 place finish is very much a "genuine target" for this year by the current board. Gus has been given more money at his disposal to sign players that HE wants to play HIS system, more so, in fact than any Albion manager. This has not been dished out with the hope of a top 10 finish, although, like you this is where I believe we will finish. Despite the money, whether it be through signings or loan salaries, we do not have a side that is consistent enough to mount a meaningfull challenge and probably only 5 or 6 players that could maintain status in a higher division. For me, many signings have been questionable to say the least, and have not performed to expectation, if indeed, they have been given the chance to do so anyway! I would be surprised if Tony Bloom is not beginning to scatch his head and wonder what is wrong..........!
It has taken most players time to get used to the system after they join the squad. The reason Orlandi has been the most successful of the attacking talent brought in thus far is that he was already used to the Swansea way - the others are taking more time to bed in. This is why, despite fans' reservations, Barnes gets so many games; he knows the system and does what Poyet wants him to.
[quote][p][bold]mark5[/bold] wrote: Not sure I agree with this at all. I suspect that promotion or a top 6 place finish is very much a "genuine target" for this year by the current board. Gus has been given more money at his disposal to sign players that HE wants to play HIS system, more so, in fact than any Albion manager. This has not been dished out with the hope of a top 10 finish, although, like you this is where I believe we will finish. Despite the money, whether it be through signings or loan salaries, we do not have a side that is consistent enough to mount a meaningfull challenge and probably only 5 or 6 players that could maintain status in a higher division. For me, many signings have been questionable to say the least, and have not performed to expectation, if indeed, they have been given the chance to do so anyway! I would be surprised if Tony Bloom is not beginning to scatch his head and wonder what is wrong..........![/p][/quote]It has taken most players time to get used to the system after they join the squad. The reason Orlandi has been the most successful of the attacking talent brought in thus far is that he was already used to the Swansea way - the others are taking more time to bed in. This is why, despite fans' reservations, Barnes gets so many games; he knows the system and does what Poyet wants him to. Old Scrote of the Amex

3:43pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Old Scrote of the Amex says...

john newman wrote:
As for Hall leaving, the Albion let his negotiations fall off the radar and he said he was ignored. Good promising players must be kept not talent spotted by lowly premier clubs. Funny they picked him up when we let a gem go through our fingers...........
And immediately loaned him out to a lower league club. And are you calling Spurs a 'lowly premier club'?
[quote][p][bold]john newman[/bold] wrote: As for Hall leaving, the Albion let his negotiations fall off the radar and he said he was ignored. Good promising players must be kept not talent spotted by lowly premier clubs. Funny they picked him up when we let a gem go through our fingers...........[/p][/quote]And immediately loaned him out to a lower league club. And are you calling Spurs a 'lowly premier club'? Old Scrote of the Amex

3:55pm Mon 3 Dec 12

lewis_ms says...

Tommy11 - absolutely spot on - what I have been banging on about for weeks and if we can see it why cannot Gus ? He bigs up his Spanish contingent but despite their flair they are lightweight and poor defensively. Nobody seemingly can head a ball like dare I say Glenn Murray. Worse still they don't even try to attack a corner or free kick in fact a corner is a disadvantage to us as attack quickly turns to "headed clear again" to quote the radio commentary. Greer for all his strengths ought to be capable of being a threat but seems to spend much of the time wrestling his opponent. In addition our dip in form this year as indeed was the case last year co-incides with the drastically under-rated and recently overlooked Gary Dicker whose composure and eye for a pass is glaringly obvious to me (if not to Gus or his detractors amongst the fans).
Now I don't like being critical of Gus who I much admired as a player and to date he has done a very good job in transforming our football but I have to say that his signings in the previous window have not improved the team at all and sadly seem to have caused disruption to what was a promising start. We are at a crossroads now and I fear that unless we get some height/strength/pres
ence we will disappear into mid table mediocrity very quickly + bring back Gary Dicker immediately please !!!
Tommy11 - absolutely spot on - what I have been banging on about for weeks and if we can see it why cannot Gus ? He bigs up his Spanish contingent but despite their flair they are lightweight and poor defensively. Nobody seemingly can head a ball like dare I say Glenn Murray. Worse still they don't even try to attack a corner or free kick in fact a corner is a disadvantage to us as attack quickly turns to "headed clear again" to quote the radio commentary. Greer for all his strengths ought to be capable of being a threat but seems to spend much of the time wrestling his opponent. In addition our dip in form this year as indeed was the case last year co-incides with the drastically under-rated and recently overlooked Gary Dicker whose composure and eye for a pass is glaringly obvious to me (if not to Gus or his detractors amongst the fans). Now I don't like being critical of Gus who I much admired as a player and to date he has done a very good job in transforming our football but I have to say that his signings in the previous window have not improved the team at all and sadly seem to have caused disruption to what was a promising start. We are at a crossroads now and I fear that unless we get some height/strength/pres ence we will disappear into mid table mediocrity very quickly + bring back Gary Dicker immediately please !!! lewis_ms

4:14pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Willie, Willie Irvine says...

Old Scrote of the Amex wrote:
Assuming that mr punch = compotolox = gusset snatcher = freeloaders (same WUM style and lack of spelling/grammar/pun ctuation), isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? It would stop a lot of the childish idiots from hiding behind pseudonyms, although I guess me punch is not yet old enough to have a legal Facebook account. Just a thought... as you were!
isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+?

...said the real-world Old Scrote of the Amex...
[quote][p][bold]Old Scrote of the Amex[/bold] wrote: Assuming that mr punch = compotolox = gusset snatcher = freeloaders (same WUM style and lack of spelling/grammar/pun ctuation), isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? It would stop a lot of the childish idiots from hiding behind pseudonyms, although I guess me punch is not yet old enough to have a legal Facebook account. Just a thought... as you were![/p][/quote]isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? ...said the real-world Old Scrote of the Amex... Willie, Willie Irvine

4:14pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Vince says...

Tommy11 wrote:
Hovite wrote:
northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.
Gus and most of his squad (with the exception of Barnestormer, Disa-Greer-ble and Donkey Dunky) should be OK when the world ends as they play such heavenly football!!!

Actually, I think Barnes is unfairly maligned by many. Remember he didn't cost us much, scored a lot of goals in our promotion season, and was top-scorer last season. He's been played out of position for the last two years, but is still a useful link-up player. he may not be premiership class, but he's given us great service
[quote][p][bold]Tommy11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA[/p][/quote]Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.[/p][/quote]Gus and most of his squad (with the exception of Barnestormer, Disa-Greer-ble and Donkey Dunky) should be OK when the world ends as they play such heavenly football!!! Actually, I think Barnes is unfairly maligned by many. Remember he didn't cost us much, scored a lot of goals in our promotion season, and was top-scorer last season. He's been played out of position for the last two years, but is still a useful link-up player. he may not be premiership class, but he's given us great service Vince

4:16pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Old Scrote of the Amex says...

Willie, Willie Irvine wrote:
Old Scrote of the Amex wrote:
Assuming that mr punch = compotolox = gusset snatcher = freeloaders (same WUM style and lack of spelling/grammar/pun ctuation), isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? It would stop a lot of the childish idiots from hiding behind pseudonyms, although I guess me punch is not yet old enough to have a legal Facebook account. Just a thought... as you were!
isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+?

...said the real-world Old Scrote of the Amex...
Don't worry, the irony was not lost on me even as I typed :-) But still, I would prefer a better comment system than that employed here.
[quote][p][bold]Willie, Willie Irvine[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Old Scrote of the Amex[/bold] wrote: Assuming that mr punch = compotolox = gusset snatcher = freeloaders (same WUM style and lack of spelling/grammar/pun ctuation), isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? It would stop a lot of the childish idiots from hiding behind pseudonyms, although I guess me punch is not yet old enough to have a legal Facebook account. Just a thought... as you were![/p][/quote]isn't it about time The Argus introduced a comment system based on real-world names, such as Facebook and Google+? ...said the real-world Old Scrote of the Amex...[/p][/quote]Don't worry, the irony was not lost on me even as I typed :-) But still, I would prefer a better comment system than that employed here. Old Scrote of the Amex

4:31pm Mon 3 Dec 12

LACHANCE says...

mr punch wrote:
Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Quite right we are not has good as some people think.We are still building a team but Gus is making hard work of it because he is very blinkerd.he needs to face the truth about some of his pet players.Greer for starters.
[quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Quite right we are not has good as some people think.We are still building a team but Gus is making hard work of it because he is very blinkerd.he needs to face the truth about some of his pet players.Greer for starters. LACHANCE

4:39pm Mon 3 Dec 12

dave from bexill says...

Tommy11 wrote:
Hovite wrote:
northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.
Yes Tommy, he'll probably prefer 'playing with himself'
[quote][p][bold]Tommy11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA[/p][/quote]Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.[/p][/quote]Yes Tommy, he'll probably prefer 'playing with himself' dave from bexill

4:46pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Hovite says...

LACHANCE wrote:
mr punch wrote:
Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Quite right we are not has good as some people think.We are still building a team but Gus is making hard work of it because he is very blinkerd.he needs to face the truth about some of his pet players.Greer for starters.
So why did you say quite right to mr punch and then contradict it in the same breath. LACHANCE

And your purpose is to ...............
[quote][p][bold]LACHANCE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Quite right we are not has good as some people think.We are still building a team but Gus is making hard work of it because he is very blinkerd.he needs to face the truth about some of his pet players.Greer for starters.[/p][/quote]So why did you say quite right to mr punch and then contradict it in the same breath. LACHANCE And your purpose is to ............... Hovite

4:46pm Mon 3 Dec 12

dave from bexill says...

Tommy11 wrote:
Hovite wrote:
northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.
Yes Tommy, he'll probably prefer 'playing with himself'
[quote][p][bold]Tommy11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA[/p][/quote]Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.[/p][/quote]Yes Tommy, he'll probably prefer 'playing with himself' dave from bexill

4:58pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Hovite says...

You are the same LACHANCE who uses the Echo site to instigate the get rid of Adkins angle on their comment boards?

http://www.dailyecho
.co.uk/sport/1002856
2._/

Is this really your only purpose you have in your life? You big girl! lol
You are the same LACHANCE who uses the Echo site to instigate the get rid of Adkins angle on their comment boards? http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/sport/1002856 2._/ Is this really your only purpose you have in your life? You big girl! lol Hovite

4:59pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Willie, Willie Irvine says...

dave from bexill wrote:
Tommy11 wrote:
Hovite wrote:
northstand4 wrote:
mr punch wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.
Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA
northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA
Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.
Yes Tommy, he'll probably prefer 'playing with himself'
Apparently there is panic in some parts of the world because the Mayan calendar cycle expires on 21st December 2012. So the 12th or 21st, take your pick. Maybe this has been affecting the club's thinking and they are waiting for the January window because Mr Bloom doesn't want to spend his money until he knows there's a future!
[quote][p][bold]dave from bexill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tommy11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northstand4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mr punch[/bold] wrote: Oh look. We didn't win and all the bleating begins again. We got beat by a better team, it's hard to admit but it's a fact and that's football. Get over it.[/p][/quote]Agree! Look, we will keep getting results, Gus will buy a couple players in Jan to improve the squad, we will get Vicente back playing, all be it for 10-15 games. We will be there or there about's come the end of the season and hopefully have a some play off action to get excited about. As others have said, let's enjoy the ride. We've got the Newcastle game which will be a great occasion! It is a bitter pill to swallow but theses things happen in football, there's bigger things to worry about in life, like the end of the world in 18 days time!!! ;-) UTA[/p][/quote]northstand4, I thought the end of the world was in 9 days. 12/12/12 and probably at 12pm. I just thought I'd let you know because I couldn't live with myself knowing that you are preparing for 18 days when it's only 9 ;o) So we have Charlton and then that's it, it's all over. UTA[/p][/quote]Even when the world ends........Barnes will still manage to find himself in the starting line up.[/p][/quote]Yes Tommy, he'll probably prefer 'playing with himself'[/p][/quote]Apparently there is panic in some parts of the world because the Mayan calendar cycle expires on 21st December 2012. So the 12th or 21st, take your pick. Maybe this has been affecting the club's thinking and they are waiting for the January window because Mr Bloom doesn't want to spend his money until he knows there's a future! Willie, Willie Irvine

5:06pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Hovite says...

The end of the world is nigh merchants are hedging their bets on the dates.

They've got to get it right sometime. Why not now?
The end of the world is nigh merchants are hedging their bets on the dates. They've got to get it right sometime. Why not now? Hovite

5:31pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Bucket feet Duffy says...

We can play Barnes at LB probably do a better job there than the position he's been playing in recently.
We can play Barnes at LB probably do a better job there than the position he's been playing in recently. Bucket feet Duffy

5:38pm Mon 3 Dec 12

reagull says...

I've just been teasing myself watching Vicente on youtube.....I'm just labelling up a christmas box c/o Amex Stadium containing a tube of deep heat, a thermal one'sey and a SAD lamp.

then all we need is a balmy 20 degree January Saturday afternoon, I've heard Gus isn't keen on playing him on cold dark Tuesday nights, wish my boss was so understanding....
I've just been teasing myself watching Vicente on youtube.....I'm just labelling up a christmas box c/o Amex Stadium containing a tube of deep heat, a thermal one'sey and a SAD lamp. then all we need is a balmy 20 degree January Saturday afternoon, I've heard Gus isn't keen on playing him on cold dark Tuesday nights, wish my boss was so understanding.... reagull

5:56pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Vince says...

Bucket feet Duffy wrote:
We can play Barnes at LB probably do a better job there than the position he's been playing in recently.
Kazenga Lua Lua might be worth trying at LB (like another Bridge). No one will beat him for speed, and he'll be fighting to get back in the side.
[quote][p][bold]Bucket feet Duffy[/bold] wrote: We can play Barnes at LB probably do a better job there than the position he's been playing in recently.[/p][/quote]Kazenga Lua Lua might be worth trying at LB (like another Bridge). No one will beat him for speed, and he'll be fighting to get back in the side. Vince

6:12pm Mon 3 Dec 12

mark by the sea says...

No mention of recalling vincelot? I hope the club have not messed up without a instant recall? We let hall and ELphick go, surely only have three central defenders is asking for trouble?
Sort it out!
No mention of recalling vincelot? I hope the club have not messed up without a instant recall? We let hall and ELphick go, surely only have three central defenders is asking for trouble? Sort it out! mark by the sea

6:17pm Mon 3 Dec 12

tonytowner1 says...

Looks like hamstrings are better this season though, on the brighter side. Dunk is all too often nonchalant - or look that way - and looks a little detached from the "team" ethic - but that may be just how he appears. He does some excellent things too of course. Mindset/ belief sometimes seems a little lacking for several of the team
Looks like hamstrings are better this season though, on the brighter side. Dunk is all too often nonchalant - or look that way - and looks a little detached from the "team" ethic - but that may be just how he appears. He does some excellent things too of course. Mindset/ belief sometimes seems a little lacking for several of the team tonytowner1

6:38pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Freeloaders says...

Dr Baldhead wrote:
Actually Grant Hall, Tommy Elphick, Steve Cook and Romain Vincelot is a pretty decent back four. Not as good as our first choice one admittedly, but all capable deputies.
lol What world do you live in my friend.The reason THFC had three guys watching Grant Hall for almost a year before they made a move for him was because the guy has something,one being he can head a ball.Tommy Elphick is league one at best,thats why he is playing league one.Again much bigger clubs was watching him years back but could see in him what they see in Dunk.As for Steve Cook & Vincelot they are not even very good league one players.My friend that did some of the home work on Grant Hall for spurs gets it almost 100% most times.Thats why he gets payed to do it.If these players above were as good as you say other championship side would notice them.
[quote][p][bold]Dr Baldhead[/bold] wrote: Actually Grant Hall, Tommy Elphick, Steve Cook and Romain Vincelot is a pretty decent back four. Not as good as our first choice one admittedly, but all capable deputies.[/p][/quote]lol What world do you live in my friend.The reason THFC had three guys watching Grant Hall for almost a year before they made a move for him was because the guy has something,one being he can head a ball.Tommy Elphick is league one at best,thats why he is playing league one.Again much bigger clubs was watching him years back but could see in him what they see in Dunk.As for Steve Cook & Vincelot they are not even very good league one players.My friend that did some of the home work on Grant Hall for spurs gets it almost 100% most times.Thats why he gets payed to do it.If these players above were as good as you say other championship side would notice them. Freeloaders

6:54pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Freeloaders says...

Tommy11 wrote:
Gus.. Please please can we bring in some aerial ability in Jan. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. I REPEAT.. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. It's all getting very boring now. As a player... Gus was superb in the air...why he can not see that we are lacking this is incredible. We are just too small! we need a big strong midfield player & a big strong striker.. simple as that. I think we can get away with GG and El-Abd at the back.

I was at Palace on Sat. They are stronger than us and we deserved to lose. Some of Gus's players are very suspect. True, Orlandi and Bruno are very gifted football players. BUT THEY LACK BOTTLE. As normal, I witnessed them both bottle 50/50's on a few occasions.... and Bruno for some reason AVOIDS trying to head a ball, which gets right up my nose. They are good players, and we have a good team..but Gus can not achieve EVRYTHING with fancy football...it just does not work and Palace proved that. Also they proved that 2 wingers works well.....Letting Noone go now seems a bad move, as players like Orlandi is not the answer...sorry.
Thank you Tommy11 for such a good post it gives me some hope.Like you pointed out Palace were much stronger than the Albion players on Sat,something most people can see if they have a real football brain.The very same reason my friend gave such good reports about Grant Hall to THFC.Big clubs like Spurs don't send people to watch players & say let Brighton keep the best ones.Dunk is a nothing,he has very little pace just the same as Elphick & can not even head a ball.What Nooney said on that pier just days before he left was spot on.Him & Cardiff are top of the league tonight.
[quote][p][bold]Tommy11[/bold] wrote: Gus.. Please please can we bring in some aerial ability in Jan. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. I REPEAT.. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. It's all getting very boring now. As a player... Gus was superb in the air...why he can not see that we are lacking this is incredible. We are just too small! we need a big strong midfield player & a big strong striker.. simple as that. I think we can get away with GG and El-Abd at the back. I was at Palace on Sat. They are stronger than us and we deserved to lose. Some of Gus's players are very suspect. True, Orlandi and Bruno are very gifted football players. BUT THEY LACK BOTTLE. As normal, I witnessed them both bottle 50/50's on a few occasions.... and Bruno for some reason AVOIDS trying to head a ball, which gets right up my nose. They are good players, and we have a good team..but Gus can not achieve EVRYTHING with fancy football...it just does not work and Palace proved that. Also they proved that 2 wingers works well.....Letting Noone go now seems a bad move, as players like Orlandi is not the answer...sorry.[/p][/quote]Thank you Tommy11 for such a good post it gives me some hope.Like you pointed out Palace were much stronger than the Albion players on Sat,something most people can see if they have a real football brain.The very same reason my friend gave such good reports about Grant Hall to THFC.Big clubs like Spurs don't send people to watch players & say let Brighton keep the best ones.Dunk is a nothing,he has very little pace just the same as Elphick & can not even head a ball.What Nooney said on that pier just days before he left was spot on.Him & Cardiff are top of the league tonight. Freeloaders

7:00pm Mon 3 Dec 12

LACHANCE says...

Hovite wrote:
You are the same LACHANCE who uses the Echo site to instigate the get rid of Adkins angle on their comment boards?

http://www.dailyecho

.co.uk/sport/1002856

2._/

Is this really your only purpose you have in your life? You big girl! lol
Hovite you are the big girl.If you think that our team is that good you need to start looking at other teams.Yes Palace where far better than we were.That was the quite right.No not the same what is the Echo?
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: You are the same LACHANCE who uses the Echo site to instigate the get rid of Adkins angle on their comment boards? http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/sport/1002856 2._/ Is this really your only purpose you have in your life? You big girl! lol[/p][/quote]Hovite you are the big girl.If you think that our team is that good you need to start looking at other teams.Yes Palace where far better than we were.That was the quite right.No not the same what is the Echo? LACHANCE

7:01pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Freeloaders says...

Plz real fans take note yet again.Out of a 38 man squad on the Palace programme there was know sign of Vicente name,or Anton Rodgers.Why is this the case if they are both on the wage bill still.I did note Oatway Jr was there & even Dickenson still.
Plz real fans take note yet again.Out of a 38 man squad on the Palace programme there was know sign of Vicente name,or Anton Rodgers.Why is this the case if they are both on the wage bill still.I did note Oatway Jr was there & even Dickenson still. Freeloaders

7:13pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Far gull says...

All this talk of the world ending has left me with a few dilemmas. To purchase or not cup tickets as may be a waste of dosh, that said what the .... Now ,also do I come clean have won euro lottery a couple of times and wish to invest in ronaldo and or messi and hope Real and Barca give us a month to pay. Make that Drogba and Terry ( we need centre back cover, and whatever he is he can head a ball) . My problem with these acquisitions is would gus say they could not all play together till they got used to his system :-) by then the world would have ended or if it hadn't I would have been found out that I could not pay.
All this talk of the world ending has left me with a few dilemmas. To purchase or not cup tickets as may be a waste of dosh, that said what the .... Now ,also do I come clean have won euro lottery a couple of times and wish to invest in ronaldo and or messi and hope Real and Barca give us a month to pay. Make that Drogba and Terry ( we need centre back cover, and whatever he is he can head a ball) . My problem with these acquisitions is would gus say they could not all play together till they got used to his system :-) by then the world would have ended or if it hadn't I would have been found out that I could not pay. Far gull

7:15pm Mon 3 Dec 12

brightonup says...

Freeloaders wrote:
Tommy11 wrote: Gus.. Please please can we bring in some aerial ability in Jan. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. I REPEAT.. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. It's all getting very boring now. As a player... Gus was superb in the air...why he can not see that we are lacking this is incredible. We are just too small! we need a big strong midfield player & a big strong striker.. simple as that. I think we can get away with GG and El-Abd at the back. I was at Palace on Sat. They are stronger than us and we deserved to lose. Some of Gus's players are very suspect. True, Orlandi and Bruno are very gifted football players. BUT THEY LACK BOTTLE. As normal, I witnessed them both bottle 50/50's on a few occasions.... and Bruno for some reason AVOIDS trying to head a ball, which gets right up my nose. They are good players, and we have a good team..but Gus can not achieve EVRYTHING with fancy football...it just does not work and Palace proved that. Also they proved that 2 wingers works well.....Letting Noone go now seems a bad move, as players like Orlandi is not the answer...sorry.
Thank you Tommy11 for such a good post it gives me some hope.Like you pointed out Palace were much stronger than the Albion players on Sat,something most people can see if they have a real football brain.The very same reason my friend gave such good reports about Grant Hall to THFC.Big clubs like Spurs don't send people to watch players & say let Brighton keep the best ones.Dunk is a nothing,he has very little pace just the same as Elphick & can not even head a ball.What Nooney said on that pier just days before he left was spot on.Him & Cardiff are top of the league tonight.
Irredeemably negative or simply a sad dude who gets some perverted satisfaction from other people's discomfort.
Either way he's pathetic really, isn't he....
[quote][p][bold]Freeloaders[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tommy11[/bold] wrote: Gus.. Please please can we bring in some aerial ability in Jan. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. I REPEAT.. WE CAN NOT HEAD A BALL. It's all getting very boring now. As a player... Gus was superb in the air...why he can not see that we are lacking this is incredible. We are just too small! we need a big strong midfield player & a big strong striker.. simple as that. I think we can get away with GG and El-Abd at the back. I was at Palace on Sat. They are stronger than us and we deserved to lose. Some of Gus's players are very suspect. True, Orlandi and Bruno are very gifted football players. BUT THEY LACK BOTTLE. As normal, I witnessed them both bottle 50/50's on a few occasions.... and Bruno for some reason AVOIDS trying to head a ball, which gets right up my nose. They are good players, and we have a good team..but Gus can not achieve EVRYTHING with fancy football...it just does not work and Palace proved that. Also they proved that 2 wingers works well.....Letting Noone go now seems a bad move, as players like Orlandi is not the answer...sorry.[/p][/quote]Thank you Tommy11 for such a good post it gives me some hope.Like you pointed out Palace were much stronger than the Albion players on Sat,something most people can see if they have a real football brain.The very same reason my friend gave such good reports about Grant Hall to THFC.Big clubs like Spurs don't send people to watch players & say let Brighton keep the best ones.Dunk is a nothing,he has very little pace just the same as Elphick & can not even head a ball.What Nooney said on that pier just days before he left was spot on.Him & Cardiff are top of the league tonight.[/p][/quote]Irredeemably negative or simply a sad dude who gets some perverted satisfaction from other people's discomfort. Either way he's pathetic really, isn't he.... brightonup

8:39pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Hovite says...

LACHANCE wrote:
Hovite wrote:
You are the same LACHANCE who uses the Echo site to instigate the get rid of Adkins angle on their comment boards?

http://www.dailyecho


.co.uk/sport/1002856


2._/

Is this really your only purpose you have in your life? You big girl! lol
Hovite you are the big girl.If you think that our team is that good you need to start looking at other teams.Yes Palace where far better than we were.That was the quite right.No not the same what is the Echo?
You must be the parasitic twin of LACHANCE on the Echo site. lol

Of course 11 man Palace were better than 10 man Brighton for 84 minutes.

It's like going into a boxing ring with your laces tied together.

I suggest you move on dog breath!
[quote][p][bold]LACHANCE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: You are the same LACHANCE who uses the Echo site to instigate the get rid of Adkins angle on their comment boards? http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/sport/1002856 2._/ Is this really your only purpose you have in your life? You big girl! lol[/p][/quote]Hovite you are the big girl.If you think that our team is that good you need to start looking at other teams.Yes Palace where far better than we were.That was the quite right.No not the same what is the Echo?[/p][/quote]You must be the parasitic twin of LACHANCE on the Echo site. lol Of course 11 man Palace were better than 10 man Brighton for 84 minutes. It's like going into a boxing ring with your laces tied together. I suggest you move on dog breath! Hovite

8:40pm Mon 3 Dec 12

GosportGull says...

Its time that Gus started admitting to some of his mistakes like letting Murray go, selling all our defensive cover , putting out on loan players that could be fringe players or cover ie, Vincelot, JFC , and the one thing that really frustrates me the most , his inability to want to change things to suit the players strengths that he has at his disposal ..
He has to face facts , we are not Barcelona and Hove Albion ..we have some good players , one or two excellent players , but we need to play to the strengths that they possess...

CMS will chase a ball over the top all day if he gets the pass to him.. Lua Lua will burn up any defender if he has a ball to run onto ..Buckers will get in a goal scoring position and have a crack if hes allowed to play more central..Hoskins just needs to be given a chance playing alongside CMS not some left sided non position... Hammond should be controlling and bossing the midfield , so should Crofty .. not sure why this is not happening ... as for defence ..what was one of our strongest assets is now looking fragile to say the least ... That said , we have the chance to turn things around against Charlton ..but once again ..its a test for the Manager ... UTA GG
Its time that Gus started admitting to some of his mistakes like letting Murray go, selling all our defensive cover , putting out on loan players that could be fringe players or cover ie, Vincelot, JFC , and the one thing that really frustrates me the most , his inability to want to change things to suit the players strengths that he has at his disposal .. He has to face facts , we are not Barcelona and Hove Albion ..we have some good players , one or two excellent players , but we need to play to the strengths that they possess... CMS will chase a ball over the top all day if he gets the pass to him.. Lua Lua will burn up any defender if he has a ball to run onto ..Buckers will get in a goal scoring position and have a crack if hes allowed to play more central..Hoskins just needs to be given a chance playing alongside CMS not some left sided non position... Hammond should be controlling and bossing the midfield , so should Crofty .. not sure why this is not happening ... as for defence ..what was one of our strongest assets is now looking fragile to say the least ... That said , we have the chance to turn things around against Charlton ..but once again ..its a test for the Manager ... UTA GG GosportGull

8:51pm Mon 3 Dec 12

WoodingdeanDS says...

Losing LD would be a blessing in disguise if it wasn't for the lack of cover (anyone would do).
As for promotion, the last time I saw us go up we stormed the 2nd Div following promotion from the third tier, but were robbed on the final day. We maintained that form the next season and got to Div 1. This lot are well short of that standard. The Manager's a good start, though. Just need 18 decent players who play week in week out at the high standard required. I've not got long left to see a repeat though!
Losing LD would be a blessing in disguise if it wasn't for the lack of cover (anyone would do). As for promotion, the last time I saw us go up we stormed the 2nd Div following promotion from the third tier, but were robbed on the final day. We maintained that form the next season and got to Div 1. This lot are well short of that standard. The Manager's a good start, though. Just need 18 decent players who play week in week out at the high standard required. I've not got long left to see a repeat though! WoodingdeanDS

8:58pm Mon 3 Dec 12

Hovite says...

GosportGull wrote:
Its time that Gus started admitting to some of his mistakes like letting Murray go, selling all our defensive cover , putting out on loan players that could be fringe players or cover ie, Vincelot, JFC , and the one thing that really frustrates me the most , his inability to want to change things to suit the players strengths that he has at his disposal ..
He has to face facts , we are not Barcelona and Hove Albion ..we have some good players , one or two excellent players , but we need to play to the strengths that they possess...

CMS will chase a ball over the top all day if he gets the pass to him.. Lua Lua will burn up any defender if he has a ball to run onto ..Buckers will get in a goal scoring position and have a crack if hes allowed to play more central..Hoskins just needs to be given a chance playing alongside CMS not some left sided non position... Hammond should be controlling and bossing the midfield , so should Crofty .. not sure why this is not happening ... as for defence ..what was one of our strongest assets is now looking fragile to say the least ... That said , we have the chance to turn things around against Charlton ..but once again ..its a test for the Manager ... UTA GG
How will it help you if Gus admitted he was wrong. Does it change anything, everyone will still bang on about it and it doesn't bring him back.

It's just constant Murray drivel from fans, wums and trolls all tickling each others 4r5es. It's a comedy on here, nothing to do with the real world.

Completely pointless and there is only 9 - 18 days until the end of the world.


Just bich bich bich bich bich bich, and before anyone tells me I spelt bich wrong. Posts don't accept ****.
[quote][p][bold]GosportGull[/bold] wrote: Its time that Gus started admitting to some of his mistakes like letting Murray go, selling all our defensive cover , putting out on loan players that could be fringe players or cover ie, Vincelot, JFC , and the one thing that really frustrates me the most , his inability to want to change things to suit the players strengths that he has at his disposal .. He has to face facts , we are not Barcelona and Hove Albion ..we have some good players , one or two excellent players , but we need to play to the strengths that they possess... CMS will chase a ball over the top all day if he gets the pass to him.. Lua Lua will burn up any defender if he has a ball to run onto ..Buckers will get in a goal scoring position and have a crack if hes allowed to play more central..Hoskins just needs to be given a chance playing alongside CMS not some left sided non position... Hammond should be controlling and bossing the midfield , so should Crofty .. not sure why this is not happening ... as for defence ..what was one of our strongest assets is now looking fragile to say the least ... That said , we have the chance to turn things around against Charlton ..but once again ..its a test for the Manager ... UTA GG[/p][/quote]How will it help you if Gus admitted he was wrong. Does it change anything, everyone will still bang on about it and it doesn't bring him back. It's just constant Murray drivel from fans, wums and trolls all tickling each others 4r5es. It's a comedy on here, nothing to do with the real world. Completely pointless and there is only 9 - 18 days until the end of the world. Just bich bich bich bich bich bich, and before anyone tells me I spelt bich wrong. Posts don't accept ****. Hovite

10:54am Tue 4 Dec 12

LACHANCE says...

Hovite born and Hovite bread weak in the arm and even weaker in the head.Now run along and support Mouthampton.
Hovite born and Hovite bread weak in the arm and even weaker in the head.Now run along and support Mouthampton. LACHANCE

12:10pm Tue 4 Dec 12

Hovite says...

Do you mean Hovis Bread?
Do you mean Hovis Bread? Hovite

2:55pm Tue 4 Dec 12

Jamesy_Dodger says...

I hate to say it but P*lace would've beaten us even if we'd had 12 players on the pitch on Saturday. We'd all been told to watch out for this Zaha fella who didn't really do much at all but we took the eye off Murray and the other winger that Dunk took out for the penalty. Also the blond fullback who kept darting up the wing.They ran rings round us and as much as I hate to admit it, if they had had the player sent off after 6 minutes and we had gone on to win 3-0, we would've laughed in their faces if they used the sending off as an excuse for such a rout. Onwards and upwards, it's in the past now, let's stop dwelling on this. Palace were better than us 10 men or 11 men but we have lots of other games to play this season.
I hate to say it but P*lace would've beaten us even if we'd had 12 players on the pitch on Saturday. We'd all been told to watch out for this Zaha fella who didn't really do much at all but we took the eye off Murray and the other winger that Dunk took out for the penalty. Also the blond fullback who kept darting up the wing.They ran rings round us and as much as I hate to admit it, if they had had the player sent off after 6 minutes and we had gone on to win 3-0, we would've laughed in their faces if they used the sending off as an excuse for such a rout. Onwards and upwards, it's in the past now, let's stop dwelling on this. Palace were better than us 10 men or 11 men but we have lots of other games to play this season. Jamesy_Dodger

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree